HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Feb 1, 2008, 10:12 AM

SkyTrain's Two Forgotten Future Ghost Stations

I realized I have little tidbits of knowledge on our SkyTrain system, that seem to have been forgotten over time, so I will attempt to try and put them back into the public domain. So I will start with this.

There are two design provisions for future stations on our existing SkyTrain systems. One on the Millenium Line, and one on the Expo Line.

The Millenium Line station which is somewhat well known is called Woodlands was to support a large scale combined residential and health care development in the area. However, as this development was cancelled, so were any plans to construct this station. What is NOT well known is the actual location of the station. Now there has been debate that the station being underground just east of Columbia, in the New Westminister tunnel, there are no visable provisions for any kind of platform in the tunnel. Well thats because that is a miscomprehension. The (ghost) station is actually not underground. In fact it is an at grade station located at the Eastern tunnel portal, just outside the tunnel. At the Front Street special structure, there is a small at grade portion, before the tunnel portal. Those concrete setbacks on both sides of the guideway are the foundations for side configuration platforms. Obviously its not 80 meters worth from the tunnel portal to the end of the at grade section. The remaining length of platform and station will jut over the ridge above Front street. So it will be a 2/3rds at grade and 1/3 elevated station. Or maybe 1/2 and 1/2 with the new longer 100m+ platforms.

The second long forgotten future station (and this one is really a ghost station cause I do not think anyone besides the original planners and engineers knows about) is on the Expo Line. It is located between Joyce and Patterson stations. It is Boundary station. It was provisioned as a future station in part because at the time of Expo Line planning and design, the newly constructed BC Tel headquarters which was completed in the late 70s, was seen as the first in major redevelopment of the Boundary and Kingsway area. However "The Boot" was never followed by other massive buildings, and those old buildings in the area remain to this day. However with our red hot real estate markets, I could see redevelopment happening, and those old buildings finally being torn down to make way for something modern to go along with the somewhat modern Telus HQ. Thousands of employees work at the Telus headquarters alone, a few more buildings like that, and you would have the justification for a station. Will we then see a Boundary Station? I don't know. I don't even think Translink knows about it, since the people that planned and designed it are probably long gone and their plans long forgotten.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2008, 10:53 AM

Here's a map of the Woodlands Station location from the Civitas website. I'm surprised that New Westminster hasn't pushed for the station to be built to serve the Victoria Hill community nearby. Maybe in time.

http://www.civitasdesign.com/urban2.html

Interesting about the Boundary Road Station location. I had heard that BC Tel had refused to pitch in to pay for the station, so it wasn't built. I didn't know that there's a level section of track that can accommodate a station there, but it looks like even the part of the guideway that spans Kingsway (as opposed to Boundary) is level enough for a station.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2008, 6:04 PM

I've seen mention of a "Grandview" station somewhere between Commercial and Renfrew in an old planning document.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2008, 6:27 PM

I know I saw plans for Patterson station being over Kingsway instead. Later it got moved to Patterson(i do remeber hearing that there were some problems with the new telus building and money for the station, etc.) Personally I would love a station at Boundary rd. Not sure exactly where the level section is though, it would be nice if it were right behind the Telus building with a exit at Boundary rd and a exit at Kingsway since Kingsway could use a station for people transferring to the #19?. Also its unfortunate that they didnt provide for a future station in the False creek flats on the Expo line, i mean it still wouldn't be very useful but I think we are getting closer and closer to the time when false creek is going to exploded in growth(hopefully the city can be more creative with the land there and zoning having two sky train lines cutting through it and a planned street car running to vcc).

Last edited by cornholio; Feb 1, 2008 at 6:38 PM.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2008, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2 View Post
I've seen mention of a "Grandview" station somewhere between Commercial and Renfrew in an old planning document.
Yeah that was going to be at Nanaimo in the Grandview Cut (under the bridge). It was axed because of the proximity of Nanaimo Station on the Expo Line. There was talk of it being a future station at one point, but in the end I think it was just deleted.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2008, 11:40 PM

I've heard about a possible future station between Main and Broadway on the Expo Line, somewhere near the Home Depot.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2008, 11:50 PM
Vancouver Moderator

That would be around Clark or the Grandview Viaduct (is it Grandview Viaduct or Terminal Viaduct... can't remember)... I wouldn't say it's really needed at the moment, but it would be nice if tied with VCC/Clark as it would relieve the some of the congestion at Commercial and Broadway.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2008, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
That would be around Clark or the Grandview Viaduct (is it Grandview Viaduct or Terminal Viaduct... can't remember)... I wouldn't say it's really needed at the moment, but it would be nice if tied with VCC/Clark as it would relieve the some of the congestion at Commercial and Broadway.
I think once the MLine attaches up to the Canada Line, we will see a drastic reduction of the congestion at Broadway. People will have another choice. That makes a lot more sense then putting in a station between that stretch. Certainly not for a long time - there's absolutely nothing in the False Creek Flats to warrant it.

And the next big place won't be the flats, it'll be the DTES.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2008, 1:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradigm4 View Post
And the next big place won't be the flats, it'll be the DTES.
Gastown Station anyone?
I've always thought that a Gastown Station near Gassy Jack Square (is that the name?) could also provide handicapped access (centre platform with access via overpass with elevator acess) across the tracks to Portside Park...

Old Posted Feb 2, 2008, 1:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Gastown Station anyone?
I've always thought that a Gastown Station near Gassy Jack Square (is that the name?) could also provide handicapped access (centre platform with access via overpass with elevator acess) across the tracks to Portside Park...
What an awesome idea. Is there the space for it, though?

Old Posted Feb 2, 2008, 2:37 AM

great info, thx for posting.

not sure about a Boundary Station, personally i think there would be too many stations.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2008, 5:52 AM

Sure, make Gassy Jack station the last station before turning north; heading for Lonsdale.... too bad the Canada Line can't do that... but think of it, North Vancouver only 2-3 minutes from downtown instead of 12 minutes by SeaBus, if this was New York or Boston it would have been done years ago.

No need for a Clark Drive station on the Expo line IMHO; we already have VCC Clark, and that Broadway-Main stretch is one of the nicest stretches of the Expo Line; commuters do not want to stop, they want to *go*, despite what certain advocates of LRT with stops every 500 metres would like us to believe.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2008, 5:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2 View Post
Sure, make Gassy Jack station the last station before turning north; heading for Lonsdale.... too bad the Canada Line can't do that... but think of it, North Vancouver only 2-3 minutes from downtown instead of 12 minutes by SeaBus, if this was New York or Boston it would have been done years ago.

No need for a Clark Drive station on the Expo line IMHO; we already have VCC Clark, and that Broadway-Main stretch is one of the nicest stretches of the Expo Line; commuters do not want to stop, they want to *go*, despite what certain advocates of LRT with stops every 500 metres would like us to believe.
i have the exact same sentiment. the same can be said with our existing bus system, way too many stops. and personally, i don't think the 56th Avenue future station for the Canada Line should be built.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2008, 6:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Gastown Station anyone?
I've always thought that a Gastown Station near Gassy Jack Square (is that the name?) could also provide handicapped access (centre platform with access via overpass with elevator access) across the tracks to Portside Park...
that would be and it is a great idea, however they have planned for a trolley system going down Quebec, followed trough Columbia then unto Cordova west to Waterfront station, so the thought is nice I wouldn't hold my breath, unless in the future they would plan for a lien going east on Hasting, then I could certainly see Pigeon park being turn into a Station, yet that is decades way and I maybe dead before it can come to fruition.
Also a line going east from Waterfront past Burnaby north, would be a true benefit to a affluent traffic at Boundery exchange.
I do not think they visioned anything for the DTES and Beyond when they considered translink expansion few years back and the same remains as of this day, the hasting corridor was left on floor long ago

Old Posted Feb 2, 2008, 6:11 AM

OTOH, the future station at 33rd would provide access to QE Park and Nat Bailey; but you're right, at 57th there are some towers, but withought a further increase in density, it would just be another 29th Ave, without the bus routes

Old Posted Feb 2, 2008, 6:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques View Post
unless in the future they would plan for a lien going east on Hasting, then I could certainly see Pigeon park being turn into a Station, yet that is decades way and I maybe dead before it can come to fruition.
As mentioned by Dave 2 - I could more see it as a part of a North Shore line crossing near Second Narrows.

Not sure what the southern most tracks are used for - whether they are through tracks for WCE or storage for WCE.

You can see the Expo Line tail tracks here:

Old Posted Feb 2, 2008, 6:36 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x2 View Post
i have the exact same sentiment. the same can be said with our existing bus system, way too many stops. and personally, i don't think the 56th Avenue future station for the Canada Line should be built.
Yeah I don't want it either... I think that station would probably be under used, even though there is a lot of ppl in the area.

But I'm sure afterschool it would be packed - ppl from church hill secondary

Old Posted Feb 2, 2008, 7:49 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques View Post
unless in the future they would plan for a lien going east on Hasting
Speaking of which, at Stadium-Chinatown Station, there's that empty third track and platform. Kind of like Lougheed Town Centre Station's spur tracks I guess. Can't they start an expansion down Hastings replacing the 135 bus this way?

Old Posted Feb 2, 2008, 7:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsy View Post
Speaking of which, at Stadium-Chinatown Station, there's that empty third track and platform. Kind of like Lougheed Town Centre Station's spur tracks I guess. Can't they start an expansion down Hastings replacing the 135 bus this way?
It's not really the same. The Stadium Station siding was used during Expo 86 for passengers to/from Canada Place without interrupting revenue service on the main platform (the monorail platform was on the other side of the that third platform).
The Lougheed siding has two switches that lead to unbuilt spurs (as well as merging back).
The Stadium Station spur merges back into the line and would also be on the wrong side of the station to branch out to Hastings (even if modified to branch off).

Old Posted Feb 2, 2008, 8:01 AM
David

sweet idea though! haha

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure