HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Dec 11, 2015, 7:43 PM
envirogineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cairnstone View Post
Does anyone know where the waste for incineration comes from in Burnaby
It's all municipal solid waste sourced from Metro Vancouver municipalities (e.g., Burnaby, North Shore, Richmond, etc).

Old Posted Dec 11, 2015, 9:26 PM

Was it a plasma waste incinerator they were debating?

Old Posted Dec 11, 2015, 9:33 PM
envirogineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOSS View Post
Was it a plasma waste incinerator they were debating?
They selected a list of approved technologies (just like they selected a number of potential sites for the facility). I can't remember, but I don't think they selected plasma technology. I think they selected mass burn, gasification, RDF, and maybe others.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2015, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nefc View Post
They selected a list of approved technologies (just like they selected a number of potential sites for the facility). I can't remember, but I don't think they selected plasma technology. I think they selected mass burn, gasification, RDF, and maybe others.
I recently learned about plasma technology - its so successful in many jurisdictions that its consuming all new garbage produced and harvesting so much of the old garbage already in the ground that they're running out. And the materials that can go through it are crazy. Sigh

Old Posted Dec 14, 2015, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Garbage shortage prompts Metro Vancouver to scrap plans for new incinerator

Full story here
Here's the most interesting part:

Quote:
The proposed waste-to-energy facility, estimated to cost $500 million, was expected to take garbage that now goes to the Cache Creek landfill, which is slated to close at the end of next year. However, the dump, which previously received 500,000 tonnes of garbage a year, now gets less than 200,000, Moore said.

Metro should be able to deal with the excess waste at the Vancouver landfill in Delta, which only receives half its licensed volume of 650,000 tonnes, Moore said, and the Burnaby incinerator, which accepts 280,000 tonnes per year.
From what I understand, part of the problem is that the City of Vancouver wants to continue burying garbage at the Vancouver Landfill in Burns Bog because the CoV owns it and it provides lower costs - but higher environmental costs (?).

If Vancouver Landfill can receive another 375,000 tonnes per year and Cache Creek is only receiving 200,000 tonnes per year,
then of course there seems to be more than enough capacity to bury all the former Cache Creek-bound garbage in Burns Bog !?!?

Old Posted Dec 14, 2015, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOSS View Post
I recently learned about plasma technology - its so successful in many jurisdictions that its consuming all new garbage produced and harvesting so much of the old garbage already in the ground that they're running out. And the materials that can go through it are crazy. Sigh
Creating a long term insatiable demand for garbage is probably not the best idea, IMO.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2016, 11:23 PM
See ya down under, mates

edit: wrong thread

Old Posted Jun 16, 2016, 11:51 PM

Quote:
New pump station opens bordering Maple Ridge
by Phil Melnychuk - Maple Ridge News
posted Jun 15, 2016 at 2:00 PM— updated Jun 16, 2016 at 3:45 PM

The pump station’s roof has more than 7,800 plants with more than 33 species. — image credit: Phil Melnychuk/THE NEWS

But the building on 200th Street and Lougheed Highway has a more vital function – to ensure people in the growing cities of Maple Ridge, Surrey and Langley have clean drinking water.

Metro Vancouver mayors officially opened the building, the Barnston-Maple Ridge Pump Station, on Wednesday, with toasts of clean water and tours of the $46-million project.

One set of pumps will send water from the Coquitlam reservoir eastward into Maple Ridge.

Another set of pumps will send water across the Fraser River to Surrey and Langley.
http://www.mapleridgenews.com/news/383177401.html

Old Posted Jul 6, 2016, 5:12 PM

Old Posted Jul 17, 2016, 5:04 AM

Here's a little tongue-in-cheek article by The Globe and Mail's Stephen Quinn that pokes a bit of fun at the pet topics of just about everyone on this forum:

The year is 2040 and Vancouver’s houses are worth $80-million

Old Posted Jul 17, 2016, 9:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen5698 View Post
Here's a little tongue-in-cheek article by The Globe and Mail's Stephen Quinn that pokes a bit of fun at the pet topics of just about everyone on this forum:

The year is 2040 and Vancouver’s houses are worth $80-million
HAHAHAHA !!!! Love it ...... except something similar might come true....

Old Posted Jul 18, 2016, 1:12 AM
SkyTrain Nut

It'll pop.

......any moment now.....

Old Posted Jan 22, 2017, 12:53 AM

Copied from the downtown thread.

Vancouver Sun stories here:

B.C. Hydro lays plans for two new downtown Vancouver substations, deep underground
http://vancouversun.com/news/local-n...ep-underground

Vancouver school and parks boards want to hear from residents on B.C. Hydro's substation plans
http://vancouversun.com/news/local-n...bstation-plans

I'll bet the Dal Gauer Substation and the Murrin Substation will have heritage status by the time they want to tear them down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc2mb View Post
I was surprised to learn about this, but BC Hydro is proposing to build two new underground substations downtown, one under Emery Barnes Park and the other under Nelson Park.

They are also planning to decommission the substation in Chinatown, and the one on Burrard Street next to the Electra.

More details here: http://urbanyvr.com/bc-hydro-undergr...-park-yaletown

and here's the Lord Roberts School Annex plan:

http://urbanyvr.com/bc-hydro-undergr...-park-yaletown

Cutaway drawing of B.C. Hydro proposal to put a new substation deep underground beneath a school playground.
B.C. Hydro drawing. Jan. 2017 B.C. Hydro / PNG

http://vancouversun.com/news/local-n...bstation-plans

Old Posted Jan 22, 2017, 12:59 AM

Forget about Chinatown opposition to development, queue the NIMBYs in Yaletown

Old Posted Jan 22, 2017, 3:30 AM

I thought Dal Grauer was recently redone.

And why did they just build above ground in Mount Pleasant/Fairview when they are saying below ground is the new norm? What is better for earthquake safety?

Murrin is ripe for redevelopment... overall seems like weird timing though. My main concern is efficient use of BC Hydro dollars.

Edit: This appears to be an extremely long term plan, stretching to 2050. So "recently" is a relative term.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2017, 4:33 PM

Nice to see the Lord Roberts Annex proposal in my neighbourhood. The building in use there now looks so cheap and tiny.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
I thought Dal Grauer was recently redone.

And why did they just build above ground in Mount Pleasant/Fairview when they are saying below ground is the new norm? What is better for earthquake safety?

Murrin is ripe for redevelopment... overall seems like weird timing though. My main concern is efficient use of BC Hydro dollars.

Edit: This appears to be an extremely long term plan, stretching to 2050. So "recently" is a relative term.
I haven't seen anything recently except for facade and maintenance work on Dal Grauer done with the last decade or two.

They didn't say it's the new norm, they said in areas where the land is too expensive to acquire that building underground while making use of the surface is an option.

Quote:
Our traditional way of doing things would be to find and buy a piece of land and build a substation on it. But that means putting a substation on land that could otherwise be used for housing, businesses, schools, or parks.

What if, instead of a traditional approach to building substations, we used money and lands more wisely and built two new electricity substations below ground while using the space above them for new schools, new daycare spaces and improved parks?

As land is both scarce and expensive in downtown Vancouver, our idea would be to develop new electricity substations underground in the West End and Yaletown, while funding community benefits on the land above ground.
I don't think either method would be anymore earthquake resistant with the amount of reinforcement and concrete they dump into the substation construction.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 12:04 AM

And for Cathedral Square and earthquake risk:

Quote:
In the case of seismic risks, both the CSQ substation and a circuit 2L33 meet current BC Hydro seismic standards. Consequently, the substation should survive under a severe seismic event and be able to continue supplying the load.
https://www.bchydro.com/content/dam/...Substation.pdf

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 1:08 AM

The drinking water tunnel under Port Mann is complete:

Quote:
Long-awaited tunnel now delivering drinking water south of the Fraser

by NEWS 1130 Staff
Posted Feb 20, 2017 10:58 am PST

VANCOUVER (NEWS 1130) – If you live south of the Fraser River, there’s a good chance you’ll now be getting your drinking water from a newly-finished supply tunnel.

The $240 million Port Mann Water Supply Tunnel is finished and running after nearly six years of construction.

Chair of Metro Vancouver’s Utilities Committee Darrell Mussatto calls it “one of the most challenging and rewarding projects we’ve ever built.”

The tunnel is located more than 30 metres under the Fraser River bed, connecting two 60-metre deep shafts located in Coquitlam and Surrey.

The new depth is meant to protect against damage from earthquakes and soil erosion.

Construction began in the spring of 2011.
http://www.news1130.com/2017/02/20/l...-south-fraser/

Quote:
$240M Port Mann water supply tunnel completed after six years
Vancouver, BC, Canada / News Talk 980 CKNW | Vancouver's News. Vancouver's Talk

Janet Brown
Posted: February 20, 2017 03:11 pm
| Last Updated: February 20, 2017 03:54 pm

It’s being described as one of the most challenging projects ever built in Metro Vancouver and it’s finally complete after six years.

The $240-million Port Mann Water Supply Tunnel is the first in a series of major water transmission system upgrades across the region.

Metro Vancouver’s Frank Huber says it more than doubles the capacity of the old water main.

“We know we will need more water in the future and obviously we want to make sure that things are built in time to meet that demand.”

He says the project is not related to the quality of the water but just focuses on building resiliency while getting ready for the future.

The new water tunnel located more than 30 meters under the Fraser River bed and just west of the new Port Mann Bridge, will also be better able to withstand an earthquake.

http://www.cknw.com/2017/02/20/240m-...ter-six-years/

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 4:23 AM
YouTube Creator

[Deleted]

Last edited by Reecemartin; Nov 17, 2020 at 7:40 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure