HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 12:52 AM

Well Highway 1 through Langley was a disaster today, several accidents and lane closures. Wonder how reliable service was today.

One other thing to note, noted there was a McElhanney (traffic and design consultant) vehicle parked on the closed 202 Street eastbound HOV ramps this morning. Wonder if the Ministry is now going to get this open for the FVX, and is doing some design work to get started. Only makes sense since they could save some significant time rather than going around to 200 Street and queuing with everyone else.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 12:58 AM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
Well Highway 1 through Langley was a disaster today, several accidents and lane closures. Wonder how reliable service was today.

One other thing to note, noted there was a McElhanney (traffic and design consultant) vehicle parked on the closed 202 Street eastbound HOV ramps this morning. Wonder if the Ministry is now going to get this open for the FVX, and is doing some design work to get started. Only makes sense since they could save some significant time rather than going around to 200 Street and queuing with everyone else.
In the big PDF I posted above introducing the FVX there was something said about reconfiguring that intersection to make it easier for buses to get to the exchange. Pretty stupidly designed in the first place if we're trying to change it so soon already.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 1:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
In the big PDF I posted above introducing the FVX there was something said about reconfiguring that intersection to make it easier for buses to get to the exchange. Pretty stupidly designed in the first place if we're trying to change it so soon already.
It's all roughed in, just need to add some more fill, pave it, and then sign it. Actually not a huge job overall. Just surprised it wasn't done before the route launched, although from what I am aware, it was the Ministry who didn't want to commit yet.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 2:17 AM
Big City Enthusiast

Long overdue, no?

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 4:45 AM

wonder why this route wouldn't have double decked buses.

could potentially be a very useful route for lots of people from the FV into the city.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 5:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancity View Post
wonder why this route wouldn't have double decked buses.

could potentially be a very useful route for lots of people from the FV into the city.

Don't make me drool would be sweat to have double decker buses on this side of the river.ocean (aka Vancouver Island).

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 6:08 AM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Write View Post
Don't make me drool would be sweat to have double decker buses on this side of the river.ocean (aka Vancouver Island).
I'm generally opposed to double-deckers, but on a long distance route like this I think it would work. I think it will happen in time, but they need to see what the ridership is like for the time being.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 6:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Write View Post
If I recall correctly, they do have double deckers out in Kelowna.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 6:19 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjakafi_81 View Post
If I recall correctly, they do have double deckers out in Kelowna.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelowna...Transit_System

yes - they have doubles now.

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 6:26 AM

Is there a benefit of double decker over articulated?

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 3:17 PM

Would the double deckers fit underneath the Glover Road overpass and the CP Rail overpass found west of 232 Street? Believe they only have a clearance of 3.3m

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 3:23 PM
ARTchitecture

Has the West Coast Express considered expansion out to Chilliwack recently? Seems like a no brainer, with their population nearing 100 000.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Would the double deckers fit underneath the Glover Road overpass and the CP Rail overpass found west of 232 Street? Believe they only have a clearance of 3.3m
Ouch!

Wasn't this one reason Translink never got Double deckers?

a nice "highway coach" aka Orion V would be best for this long haul route.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Has the West Coast Express considered expansion out to Chilliwack recently? Seems like a no brainer, with their population nearing 100 000.
I think extending it south from Mission to Abbotsford would be a better choice. There's a rail-line that runs immediately west of Highway 11 that is owned by CP. You would need to relocate the Mission station a km or two further west to make it work, but I think there would be a lot of value in doing that.

Don't think going to Chilliwack and bypassing Abbotsford would make too much sense at this point.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 1:09 AM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
I think extending it south from Mission to Abbotsford would be a better choice. There's a rail-line that runs immediately west of Highway 11 that is owned by CP. You would need to relocate the Mission station a km or two further west to make it work, but I think there would be a lot of value in doing that.

Don't think going to Chilliwack and bypassing Abbotsford would make too much sense at this point.
Definitely. I personally think we need commuter rail paralleling the Expo Line going into the Valley, but this bus is a good first step. I'd much rather see a separate line than an extension of the West Coast Express, as much of the Fraser Valley's workforce commutes to Surrey and Langley for work. It would also help relieve the Expo Line.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 1:19 AM

GO transit in Greater Toronto has a huge fleet of double decker buses.

On longer haul routes they are far more pleasant and easier to drive down freeways/ highways as at high speed the articulates can begin to sway.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOSS View Post
Is there a benefit of double decker over articulated?
In Victoria, at least, the blocks are too short to handle articulated buses, especially downtown. I believe BC Transit was partially responsible for this model being designed/brought to North America

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 9:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plafuldog View Post
In Victoria, at least, the blocks are too short to handle articulated buses, especially downtown. I believe BC Transit was partially responsible for this model being designed/brought to North America
Victoria and Kelowna were the first operators of the Double-deck buses, but you have to get some context as for why and where they are used.

The routes in Victoria at least, are only used on the longhaul (eg Sooke to Downtown, Downtown to the Ferry Terminal through Saanich) they have high wind resistance, but are operated on the highways. Though I generally find that the upper deck "wobbles" too much to be comfortable for people with motion sickness.

The Articulated bus on the other hand has the rear portion sway and requires a higher turning radius. Despite that they work better at highway speeds than the Doubledecker buses since they have lower wind resistance.

That said, the double-decker buses are better tourism buses since they can fit more people in to be able to look outside and over fences, where as conventional bus seating is designed to maximize the number of people, not sight-seeing.

Both can be combined into an articulated doubledecker bus, and that would likely beat the capacity of any proposed at-grade Light Rail, but I suspect that they would be much more dangerous to operate without their own BRT ROW since any t-boning of the bus would likely push over it's center of gravity.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisai View Post
Both can be combined into an articulated doubledecker bus, and that would likely beat the capacity of any proposed at-grade Light Rail, but I suspect that they would be much more dangerous to operate without their own BRT ROW since any t-boning of the bus would likely push over it's center of gravity.
Are there any examples of such a vehicle? I'm a bit skeptical of whether that's doable while still allowing the bus to use ramps or go over bumps that would cause the upper decks to "crunch" together.

And it's not obvious to me how the centre of gravity issue would be any worse for an articulated double decker than it would be for a conventional one.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 8:29 PM
Vancouver Moderator

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure