HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 3, 2006, 8:02 PM

I agree...

That's all happened before, all of the lots in Phoenix that are empty that you see are a result of this thinking. Again, downtown Phoenix used to be filled with jewels of residential and retail and theater and small office buildings, all of which were torn down in the face of "the future". Well, the future was never realized and an empty lot is what we are left with.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2006, 8:03 PM

...and in some cases we are left with absolute and complete shit. Tear down a beautiful historic building for a bail bonds store and parking lot... good idea

Old Posted Oct 3, 2006, 8:06 PM

Add me as a supporter of keeping old buildings around. New buidlings, sometimes no matter how nice, still don't seem to be built with the detail and attention of how they used to be. I would rather much rather see old buildings restored and reused instead of tearing them down for something new.

...of course it does matter how old we are talking, because there are some things built in the 70s and 80s that are just plain ugly. I'm referring to keeping historic buildings around.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2006, 8:11 PM

Gotta Save This

Even though this is a "Skyscraper" forum, we need to save buildings of historical and archetectural significance whenever possible. Here is a photo link to a small portion of the old central post office facade. The detailing is beautiful and there is not much like this remaining in Phoenix. This one is a no-brainer... come on...

http://flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=64985231&size=m

Old Posted Oct 3, 2006, 10:18 PM

Here's a rendering for Melrose Point (7th Ave & Glenrosa). 340 condos, 100,000 sf, and 49,000 of retail. I went to the Encanto Village Planning Committee tonight to hear the presentation. The committee and the audience were unahappy with the traffic issue. The submission was tabled for more study but I get the feeling the City likes this project (incuding the councilman and neighbor Tom Simplot). The highest building is eight floors and 120' (the interiors will be 10 to 12' ceilings).

It looks like ground will be broken in about year and take about 18 months to complete. The developer is bullish on Phoenix and anticipates no problem selling out. I'm not bullish, and I wonder how many people will line up to spend $400/sf for these units. Still, the project has lots of great things going for it.

Here's a view of a maquette, facing 7th Ave:

And here's something else: a two tower project slated for 7th St and Earll, SWC:

The taller tower is on 7th St and rises 250' or thereabouts. The shorter tower is about 160'. How real is this? My best guess: not very, but it would replace some deteriorating apartments (Country Club Apartments) so it would be great to see.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2006, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimInCal
Even though this is a "Skyscraper" forum, we need to save buildings of historical and archetectural significance whenever possible. Here is a photo link to a small portion of the old central post office facade. The detailing is beautiful and there is not much like this remaining in Phoenix. This one is a no-brainer... come on...

http://flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=64985231&size=m
Actually, that facade is from the Westward Ho, directly north of the old post office.

I do agree completely with your thought, however.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2006, 10:32 PM

Argh...Bad info on web site

Soleri,

It just goes to show, you can't believe everything you see on line. Here is the link with the description under the photo that reads "The side of the old Phoenix Post Office Fillmore & Central." I will be back in Phoenix over Thanksgiving and will be taking a long drive around the metro area to check out all of the changes. I never gave the post office a close look when I lived there. I will make a point of visiting it during the dowtown leg of my tour. Thanks for the feedback

http://flickr.com/photos/cobalt/64985231/

Old Posted Oct 3, 2006, 10:46 PM

Central Post Office Rendering

Its a quest now...I had to find a pic of the central post office. Here is a rendering that shows it mid-century, with the Westward Ho in the background. IMO, it is an important part of Phoenix history and should be protected and respected as such!

http://www.rootsweb.com/~usgenweb/az...ards/phopo.jpg

Old Posted Oct 5, 2006, 2:07 AM
under the influence...

Channel 12 is reporting that the Cityscape project was passed unanimously by the city council. Details to follow.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2006, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31
I agree...

That's all happened before, all of the lots in Phoenix that are empty that you see are a result of this thinking. Again, downtown Phoenix used to be filled with jewels of residential and retail and theater and small office buildings, all of which were torn down in the face of "the future". Well, the future was never realized and an empty lot is what we are left with.
Being a native of Phoenix, I've seen that too, and all the types of buildings you mentioned have moved outward, but hopefully that's changing now. I also remember in the mid 1980's they tore down a building that was on the northwest corner of Central and Thomas for what was supposed to have been a 52 story tower built by Trammel-Crow, but that project never came to fruition. In fact, with the exception of the billboard, that lot is still empty. I know Toll Bros. are supposed to build a couple of towers in that area, but I'm not sure if it's going to be on the northwest or southeast corners. There is a strip mall on the southeast corner and I'm not sure if that's slated for demolition or not.

I don't feel like using a search engine to find this info, but does anyone know which corner the Toll Bros. Towers will be built on? Just curious.

Last edited by MagnumMike; Oct 6, 2006 at 2:54 PM.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2006, 3:23 PM

It is actually on the SE corner. The Toll Bros. project was approved recently... However I am not sure when construction is suppose to start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumMike
Being a native of Phoenix, I've seen that too, and all the types of buildings you mentioned have moved outward, but hopefully that's changing now. I also remember in the mid 1980's they tore down a building that was on the northwest corner of Central and Thomas for what was supposed to have been a 52 story tower built by Trammel-Crow, but that project never came to fruition. In fact, with the exception of the billboard, that lot is still empty. I know Toll Bros. are supposed to build a couple of towers in that area, but I'm not sure if it's going to be on the northwest or southeast corners. There is a strip mall on the southeast corner and I'm not sure if that's slated for demolition or not.

I don't feel like using a search engine to find this info, but does anyone know which corner the Toll Bros. Towers will be built on? Just curious.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2006, 5:31 PM
Skyriser

^ It's on the SE corner, but that little strip center on Thomas and Central is staying for now. Right east of that on thomas behind is the vacant lot where the toll tower is supposed to go.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2006, 9:47 PM

Man, they are really moving on Summit at Copper Square and 44 Monroe. Each day it seems like another floor. Changes, they are a comin.'

Old Posted Oct 13, 2006, 11:41 PM

A few more update pictures taken 10/13/06...

Summit at Copper Square

Sheraton Downtown Phoenix Hotel

A shot showing both the Sheraton and Summit...

Finally...new rendering of CityScape...

Old Posted Oct 16, 2006, 2:35 PM
-_-

Is that Patriots Square in the foreground? It looks like to me that they are planning on building a tower on PSP now, which would be a much better use of the space than the previou proposal.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2006, 5:59 AM

Apparently that's an old rendering of CityScape...but maybe they are going back to the original plans now that the plans for PSP have changed.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2006, 5:08 PM
-_-

but PSP wasn't in the original plans. Confusing.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2006, 5:49 PM

Don't know if this link has been posted here yet, but it's a fairly comprehensive reporting section from the AZ Republic on DT development

http://www.azcentral.com/specials/downtownphx/

Old Posted Oct 19, 2006, 6:03 PM

BTW... Here's a link for all Phoenix dwellers to show support for the City Scape Project...

http://cityscape.waittdesign.com/join_the_vision.asp

Old Posted Oct 21, 2006, 6:15 AM

sundevilgrad,

We just started a Cityscape thread on the Mountain West Development section. Several of the forumers have posted comments on the discussion board of the link you gave above. Thought I better let you know in case you weren't aware of it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations