HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 1, 2017, 3:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
St. John's will likely have to wait and see how Blainville fares with a new AHL team in Laval for a season. Blainville's attendance is already abysmal and adding a professional farm team of the Canadiens a short hop away may be the final nail. No other Q teams are really in a precarious position ownership-wise and the Q isn't entirely interested in expansion at this point.

If Mile One has both an NBL and QMJHL franchise in two years they'll be doing very well.
From a financial & historical point of view...I think the Q would prefer to move Blainville to Trois-Rivieres (one of the founding city), which are in the process of building a new 5k seats arena (opening in 2019).

Plus it would make a practice for the city as they are the rumored spot, if the Nordiques come back, as the potential Ahl team.

Also there's been rumors that they are trying to get back in the South Shore area (Longueuil)

Old Posted Jun 1, 2017, 10:04 PM

Some new info came in today by Stephane Leroux (RDS) concerning the return of St-John's in the Q.

- Glenn Stanford & Tony Kenny, the head of a group of businessman working on the return of the Q, are supposedly willing to spend up to 6 millions dollars (not confirmed) to bring a team. Now Courteau stated that the league will stay at 18 teams...but with a proposition like, you have to wonder if this could change his mind.

- Courteau met with the provincial government, to talk about the whole "employee/amateur" debate that is going on, and he was clear: There will be no team until the province gave junior players the status of amateur.

- Last winter, the group met with 4 teams with the intention of buying them: Blainville, Bathurst, Charlottetown and Gatineau, the response from all of them: No Thanks!

We'll probably have more info tomorrow, as Courteau is doing his annual "State of the League" before the draft.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2017, 4:58 AM
Go Chiefs!

Lance Stroll might the worst F1 driver I have ever seen!

I cannot even image what his dad ($2.4B USD net worth) is paying Williams to let his son drive the car. 1+ second slower than Massa who retired at the end of last season and came back as an emergency replacement. Still no points for Stroll (Massa has 20) and once again starting 17th while his teammate is 7th.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2017, 5:18 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
Lance Stroll might the worst F1 driver I have ever seen!
There have been far worse drivers.

Stroll's been pretty bad but he still has upside. Obviously dad paying Williams for the seat and for development money plays a role but Stroll has won at lower levels. Seems like he simply hasn't gotten used to the car at all.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 9:17 PM
Go Chiefs!

From today...

Jacques Villeneuve calls Lance Stroll one of the worst F1 rookies ever

Quote:
Formula One champion Jacques Villeneuve didn't mince words when critiquing the rookie season of fellow Canadian Lance Stroll.

"The results speak for themselves," said Villeneuve told autoweek.com. "It is one of the worst rookie performances in the history of Formula 1."

Villeneuve, who won the F1 title in 1997, was speaking to Stroll's struggles in his debut season. The 18-year-old from Montreal has failed to collect a single point in his first six races.

Many critics also point to the stark lap time differences between Stroll and teammate Felipe Massa, who both drive for Williams, as a key indicator of Stroll's inability to race amongst the best.
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/jacques-vil...ance-1.4158234

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 9:25 PM

The way TSN was hyping this kid I was under the impression he would eventually become one of the stars of F1. It's early and he is only 18 so maybe we should give it 3-4 years to see how he develops.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 10:24 PM
ハルウララ

A poll was conducted as part of Canada 150 looking at how Canadians consume and regard sports. Some interesting findings:

1. Do you know how to skate backwards?
Fifty-one per cent of Canadians know how to skate backwards. Ability to skate backwards is lowest among immigrants (19 per cent), first-generation Canadians (41 per cent), millennials (43 per cent) and British Columbians (43 per cent).

2. Would you cheer for a Canadian team to win the Stanley Cup, even if it’s not the team you typically cheer for?
Seventy-six per cent of Canadians would cheer for a Canadian team to win the Stanley Cup, even if it’s not the team they usually cheer for. This number is highest in Ontario, with 81 per cent willing to cheer for a different Canadian team, and lowest in Quebec, where only 68 per cent would be likely to do so.

3. Which is your favourite Canadian hockey team?
The Toronto Maple Leafs and Montreal Canadiens are neck in neck on this one, with 27 per cent of respondents preferring the Leafs, and 26 per cent preferring the Canadiens. Provincial preferences tend to align pretty heavily with the home teams. For those provinces without an NHL team, the fandom tends to move to the nearest neighbour: Saskatchewanians cheer for the Jets (36 per cent) and Atlantic Canadians cheer for the Habs (35 per cent). Immigrants tend to cheer for the Maple Leafs (31 per cent).

4. Have you ever built a backyard rink?
Seventy per cent of Canadians have never built a backyard rink. Boomers (32 per cent) and Atlantic Canadians (38 per cent) are most likely to have built one.

5. What sport did you watch most often with your parents or grandparents growing up?
Forty-eight per cent of Canadians grew up watching, you guessed it, hockey. The next most popular sport people watched growing up? Perhaps more difficult to guess: figure skating, at 10 per cent.

6. What sport do you watch most often with your kids or friends today?
Canadians are most likely to sit down with family or friends to watch hockey (40 per cent) or football (10 per cent). Hockey is most popular across all of the provinces, except Saskatchewan and Manitoba, where it is second to football.

7. Do you think the CFL is an integral part of Canada’s sporting identity?
Most Canadians (63 per cent) believe that the CFL is integral to Canada’s sporting identity. Millennials, however, aren’t so sure: 51 per cent believe it’s not essential.

8. If your child could excel in one sport, which would you choose?
Canadians want their kids to excel in hockey (19 per cent) and soccer (15 per cent). Millennials and immigrants would prefer their kids to excel in soccer (27 per cent, 31 per cent), and Atlantic Canadians prefer swimming (19 per cent) and golf (16 per cent).

9. Would you support or oppose another NHL team coming to a community close to where you live?
Fifty-six per cent of Canadians would support another NHL team coming to a community close to where they live. Support for a new team is highest in Atlantic Canada (62 per cent) and is much higher among men than women (64 per cent vs. 48 per cent).

10. Would you support or oppose that team coming to a community near where you live if taxpayer’s money was needed to get that team?
Canadians are divided as to whether or not they’d want their tax dollars spent on bringing a new NHL team to their region: 46 per cent would support this kind of spending, while 43 per cent would not. Support is highest in the Atlantic provinces, where 57 per cent would approve governmental NHL spending, and lowest in Saskatchewan and Manitoba, where only 39 per cent would support this.

11. Does the federal government spend too much, too little, or about the right amount on supporting Canadian athletes training for the Olympics?
Canadians think Olympic training funding is just right, with 38 per cent believing that Canada spends the right amount. Boomers (40 per cent) and immigrants (45 per cent) are most likely to believe that the government needs to dip deeper into its coffers to fund our Olympians.

12. Who is the best athlete of the 21st century?
Twenty-five per cent of Canadians believe that Sidney Crosby is the best athlete of the 21st century. Usain Bolt came in second with 16 per cent of the vote. Ontarians and immigrants prefer Bolt over Sid.

This poll is part of a larger series titled The Canada Project.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2017, 12:15 AM
The New Republic

My answers to above questionnaire:

1. Yes, I can skate backwards
2. No, as I don't follow the NHL
3. I don't follow any hockey team
4. No, I have never built a backyard rink
5. I watched tennis most often with my parents
6. I watch basketball most often with friends
7. Yes I view the CFL as integral to national sporting identity
8. I'd like any future child to excel at tennis
9. I'd support another NHL team coming to a community close to where I live
10. I would not support such a team if it needed tax payer support
11. The feds spend too little on developing our Olympians
12. Lebron James is the best athlete of the 21st century

Old Posted Jun 14, 2017, 12:20 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
The way TSN was hyping this kid I was under the impression he would eventually become one of the stars of F1. It's early and he is only 18 so maybe we should give it 3-4 years to see how he develops.
The jump to F1 is massive. Were people actually expecting him to be great right away? 9th in Montreal is a fabulous result and he's learning every time he starts a race. If he hasn't progressed after 2 seasons then criticize but after 6 races? Good grief!

Jacques Villeneuve needs to develop some class. Maybe he never had any.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2017, 1:12 AM
ハルウララ

The issue for Stroll right now isn't so much that he lacks the skill to race in Formula 1 (scoring points essentially disproves that); the issue more lies in the fact that the Williams car he is driving is arguably the fourth best car on the grid. He should be in a position to score points in every race and so far has only done it once (benefitting from five drivers falling out of the race). He's being soundly beaten by a pensioner teammate who lost his pace long ago.

Stroll has a ton of potential and he has more time to develop but F1 is a cutthroat game and if you don't prove your worth quickly your replacement isn't difficult to find.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2017, 1:40 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
The jump to F1 is massive. Were people actually expecting him to be great right away? 9th in Montreal is a fabulous result and he's learning every time he starts a race. If he hasn't progressed after 2 seasons then criticize but after 6 races? Good grief!

Jacques Villeneuve needs to develop some class. Maybe he never had any.
I hate to say it but Villeneuve is a bit of a jerk. His star has dimmed a lot even in Quebec where he would still be the cat's meow today (for past glory) had he been a bit of a nicer guy.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2017, 1:42 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Lance Stroll is certainly no worse than certain drivers of a certain nationality who stay in F1 for years in spite of always finishing last.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2017, 11:08 PM

No NBL team for St. John's next year; Mile One decided to be greedy.

Quote:
There won't be a pro hoops team to fill empty dates at Mile One Centre

Pro basketball won’t be making its debut at Mile One Centre next season.

Advertisement
Glenn Stanford, the former chief operating officer with the St. John’s IceCaps, was heading an effort to bring a National Basketball League Canada franchise to Mile One next season.

The 10-team pro circuit has five teams in the Atlantic provinces — Moncton and Saint John, N.B., Halifax and Cape Breton, N.S. and Charlottetown, P.E.I. — and league commissioner David Magley had visited the city and viewed Mile One.

However, Stanford and his investors were unable to reach a lease agreement with Mile One.

“We’re done,” he said. “I have not heard from anybody in two weeks, not Mile One nor David Magley.

“I met with our investors a week or 10 days ago, and they said absolutely no to what was presented to us.”

In addition to taking the bulk of concession revenue, Stanford also said Mile One would be taking back 100 per cent of the sponsorship and advertising revenue.

That would leave the basketball team with only ticket sales to generate money.

“As I understand the arrangement, if that’s where it is, we can’t move forward,” he said.

“It’s a lease arrangement that’s impossible to do.”

St. John’s businessman Tony Kenny was also said to be interested in an NBL Canada franchise, but as of a week ago was not fully committed to the project.

The basketball team would have brought 22-24 dates to Mile One next year. As it stands, it’s clearly not a busy building.

On its website Thursday, there were only five events — covering eight dates — booked between now and the end of September — Atlantic Canada Petroleum Show (June 21-22), Avalon Expo (Aug. 25-27), K.D. Lang (Sept. 14), Chris de Burgh (Sept. 16) and Daniel O’Donnell (Sept. 28).

More at: http://www.thetelegram.com/sports/ot...tre-next-.html

Old Posted Jun 18, 2017, 8:17 PM
Go Chiefs!

Felix Auger-Aliassime becomes the youngest Canadian and 7th youngest player ever to win a Challenger tournament.

Said it 2 years ago (when he was 14), will say it again, he will be the first Canadian to win a Grand Slam.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2017, 4:20 AM

Brooke Henderson

Brooke Henderson won her fourth LPGA tournament this weekend, and she is only 19 years old. And one of those 4 victories was in a major tournament. Originally from Smith's Falls, Ontario, she is the face of golf for Canada. She also has been signed to 12 corporate sponsorships and was the 2015 Canadian female athlete of the year. Way to go Brooke!

Old Posted Jun 19, 2017, 9:53 PM
ハルウララ

It's a bit OT but since we're on the subject of golf: the US Open ratings this past weekend were the second-worst of all-time.

Three years into a 12 year deal for Fox and critics are already mounting.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 9:54 PM
Go Chiefs!

Lance Stroll becomes the 2nd youngest driver ever (Max Verstappen was 11 days younger) to finish on an F1 podium after a CRAZY race!!!

Maybe he got motivated after hearing Jacques Villeneuve bash him or reading what I wrote.

Regarding another young Canadian prospect in another sport, Denis Shapovalov received a wild card entry into Wimbledon's main draw. That is awesome news for the 18 years old as he won't have to go through qualies.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 12:12 AM
ハルウララ

Stroll definitely benefited from one of the most ridiculous races i've ever watched but hats off to him - a podium is a podium, haters be damned. He's been looking so much more confident since Montreal two weeks ago along with additional testing in the 2014 car.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 3:25 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
Felix Auger-Aliassime becomes the youngest Canadian and 7th youngest player ever to win a Challenger tournament.

Said it 2 years ago (when he was 14), will say it again, he will be the first Canadian to win a Grand Slam.
Unless Shapovalov gets there first.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 5:54 PM

How important of a win is the Canadian championship for TFC and what is the importance of of the championship in general? I saw highlights of the game last night and it seemed like tothe players and fans it was a huge win.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada