HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 1, 2016, 9:46 PM

Cedarbrae Mall has been dying a slow death ever since Simpsons left. I was there a month ago and just have a bad gut feeling about the future of the place.
Dying malls closer to transit and major arterials are perfect candidates to be converted into office space for very cheap.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2016, 9:51 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I once worked in Landsdowne (Park) Mall in Richmond (BC). Always was the poor sister to (booming) Richmond Centre Mall across the street. Checking their website looks like there are a lot of vacant stores....is the writing on the wall? Any Richmondites care to chime in on the subject?
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Mar 1, 2016, 9:53 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Honeydale mall. Ain't she a honey?
https://www.google.ca/search?q=honey...LmsP1Ss71yM%3A

Back in the heyday

flickr
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Mar 1, 2016, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
I once worked in Landsdowne (Park) Mall in Richmond (BC). Always was the poor sister to (booming) Richmond Centre Mall across the street. Checking their website looks like there are a lot of vacant stores....is the writing on the wall? Any Richmondites care to chime in on the subject?
Lansdowne Mall is sort of a hybrid between a mall selling as-seen-on-TV-type junk, a Chinese mall, and some big box chain stores (Toys R' Us, Best Buy, Winners) thrown in for good measure. At night time, it's pretty active because most of the entranceways house a large format Chinese restaurant and some of them are actually pretty good.

I wouldn't say it's dead at all.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaletown_fella View Post
Cedarbrae Mall has been dying a slow death ever since Simpsons left. I was there a month ago and just have a bad gut feeling about the future of the place.
Dying malls closer to transit and major arterials are perfect candidates to be converted into office space for very cheap.
Believe it or not, Cedarbrae Mall has greatly improved over the last few years. They have renovated the mall, and Winners is moving in.
The mall does not have a ton of chain stores, and has more mom and pop stores, which I know is not seen as desirable in a mall. But the mall is full, and the stores seem to fit a niche for the local neighborhood.
So it is not all bad at Cedarbrae.

Last edited by miketoronto; Mar 3, 2016 at 3:08 AM.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 6:47 PM

I find some cities are less suited for malls than others.

In the US I know of at least three cities with little in the way of suburban mall-type retail - Savannah GA, Charleston SC and New Orleans LA (there are probably others), they have a lot of their specialty retail in the downtown area and most or all of their suburban malls are pretty much dying or weak considering their sizes (they were built and strong for a while but seem to be struggling today). It seems historic-focused cities do better at retaining retail downtown?

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Not from Richmond, but my take on it is that Lansdowne is a victim of a rapidly changing demographic.

It's destined to be redeveloped. It wouldn't surprise me though to see a shiny new Asian mall as part of its redevelopment. Chinese seem to love shopping malls.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 7:38 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I worked there in 94-95. Even back then Richmond was nearly majority Chinese.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2016, 6:18 PM
The Vomit Bag.

any updates on the Honeydale mall? Does it still look like this:https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.63081...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Old Posted Mar 21, 2016, 7:12 PM

Quote:
i remember landsdowne in the 80's it was the better mall over richmond centre. Landsdowne had woodwards, woodwards food floor, eatons and all the stores one would expect in a mall at the time, ie thriftys, le chateau, foot locker etc.

i read, probably on here, that the owner of the mall is in hong kong and doesnt want to redevelop but his kids are wanting to redo the entire thing demolish it and start a whole new thing, maybe one day

Old Posted Mar 22, 2016, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Honeydale mall. Ain't she a honey?
https://www.google.ca/search?q=honey...LmsP1Ss71yM%3A

Back in the heyday

flickr
Virtually identical to London's Oxbury Mall last time I was inside there. Even had a restaurant with stools in the corridor.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2016, 2:21 AM

Later this week I'll be paying a visit to the partially demolished Cavendish Mall in Côte St. Luc, Quebec, an inner suburb of Montreal.

When it opened in the 70's it had several anchors including Eatons, Steinbergs and Miracle Mart but it was never a big draw.

A few years ago they chopped off a large portion and built high-end townhouses and single family homes in its place. And Cavendish Mall became Quartier Cavendish.

Locally it is called "The Schmall"

Old Posted Mar 23, 2016, 2:43 AM
The Vomit Bag.

I used to visit the old cavendish mall from time to time, back after it lost Eaton's. Began the inexorable decline. There used to be a wretched disembodied audio commercial on CJAD that played hourly: "Come on to Cavendish (tralalalalaa)...Cavendish! Cavendish Mall. Cavendish, at Kildare"

Old Posted Mar 23, 2016, 3:02 AM

Quote:
I used to visit the old cavendish mall from time to time, back after it lost Eaton's. Began the inexorable decline. There used to be a wretched disembodied audio commercial on CJAD that played hourly: "Come on to Cavendish (tralalalalaa)...Cavendish! Cavendish Mall. Cavendish, at Kildare"
I think I remember that radio commercial ... Caaaaa vennnn disssssssh

I might even know people who worked on it.

Other anchors were Pharmaprix, which my father called Pharma-pricks, and Warshaw, of all things. The first time I ever saw bull testicles. Warshaw didn't last long. I think Canadian Tire took their place for a while. Now it's Dollarama.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2016, 3:06 AM

I used to play at the boat thingy in the late 90s early 00s. Then some pizza at the food court. Fun times.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2016, 3:16 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
I think I remember that radio commercial ... Caaaaa vennnn disssssssh
That's it!!!

Old Posted Mar 23, 2016, 3:17 AM

Oh yes, that ship thing. I think I brought my nieces and nephews there. Good lord you must be young.

The food court is still there but it's mostly a place for senior citizens to sit and drink coffee all day, and get into loud, heated conversations about politics.

Eleanor must have booted them out of the library across the street. Or they left because they couldn't stand the spoiled brats.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2016, 6:11 AM

Funny the ads you remember.

I remember 3 from London when I was a kid:

Most of all, most of all, Westmount Mall
You shop White Oaks Mall da da da da , for the times of your life
The City Centre Mall is the centre of it all and the centre of it all is the City Centre Mall.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2016, 12:20 PM
The Vomit Bag.

where the hell is the city centre mall? The old Mews? The predecessor to the Galleria? Before my time (I only moved to London in 2005).

But I remember the old CJAD (Montreal) radio ads clear as a bell.

"Come on to CAAA-VENNN-DISH! CAAA-VENNN-DISH! "
"Do you need carpets; we'll install! Save money, wall to wall. See the King of Broadloom...Todaaaayyyy!!"
"Caplan Duvall......"

Last edited by MolsonExport; Mar 23, 2016 at 12:31 PM.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2016, 12:32 PM
Love skyscrapers

Quote:

c/o O-tacular

The Bower Mall entrance. in Beautiful downtown Red Deer.

Apparently it is far from dead, but that photo could have fooled me. It looks like there could be a pack of Zombies inside.
Bower Mall is not downtown Red Deer it's on the southside . It's also a very busy mall. With Sears and Hudson as main anchors . It used to have a Zellers which converted to Target which folded it's Canadian operations.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada