HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 1:12 AM

Development along the line would not be surprising.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2008, 7:25 PM

Big announcement today from Mr. Obama! And it's just as many of us suspected. For many on the far left it's going to be a bitter pill to swallow from the man they helped elect. From Politico...

"President-elect Barack Obama added sweep and meat to his economic agenda on Saturday, pledging the largest new investment in roads and bridges since President Dwight D. Eisenhower built the Interstate system in the late 1950s" http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1208/16258.html

Reading the rest of the article, it looked like the Obama presidency isn't planned so much to be a Roosevelt II, but rather an Eisenhower II.

His summation of the first plank in his jobs platform, right from Mr. Obama's mouth...

—ROADS AND BRIDGES: “[W]e will create millions of jobs by making the single largest new investment in our national infrastructure since the creation of the federal highway system in the 1950s. We’ll invest your precious tax dollars in new and smarter ways, and we’ll set a simple rule – use it or lose it. If a state doesn’t act quickly to invest in roads and bridges in their communities, they’ll lose the money.”

Personally, this makes me very happy. But I know there is a small yet passionate slice of my fellow Obama voters who will reel back in horror. The only good part is that this is all coming from Mr. Obama right off the bat while the Dems still have a majority on Capitol Hill. If Mr. Bush or Mr. McCain had made the exact same statement above the shrieks of horror and disgust from the left would have been immediate regarding the car friendly plan above.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2008, 7:38 PM
zzzzzzzz

^ I think you may be overestimating the size and militancy of the "anti-car left" voting bloc. The opinions of many in this particular forum notwithstanding, I don't think most people who voted for Obama are vehemently anti-car or based their vote on their perception of him being anti-car.

But I do wish there was more emphasis on rail and transit in general in these stimulus plans. I suspect that it all falls under the umbrella of "infrastructure," but it would be nice if instead of just saying we'll invest in "roads and bridges" they were saying "roads, bridges and transit." There is no doubt we have a need for highway and bridge repair/maintenance/upgrades, but we're also way behind most developed countries when it comes to rail. I think it's just as important to develop viable alternatives to the car as it is to fix our road network, and it could help create jobs in just the same way.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2008, 7:55 PM

Let's build the CRC, widen I-5 through the Broadway-Marqam corridor while also burying the freeway, then install scrubbers on the ventilation shafts.

With sufficient effort put in you could make an I-5 tunnel emmission free.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2008, 8:27 PM

"We’ll invest your precious tax dollars in new and smarter ways, and we’ll set a simple rule – use it or lose it."

Old Posted Dec 6, 2008, 10:23 PM
Karma Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyAlweg View Post
For many on the far left it's going to be a bitter pill to swallow from the man they helped elect.
Not really. I'm as "far left" as they come, but I think making a commitment to fix our roads and bridges is a great thing. This isn't going to proclude investments in transit, green energy and other infrastructure. He's already promised all of those things, so give him a chance, one step at a time. He was only elected less than 5 weeks ago and he's already light years ahead of any other president-elect in getting his agenda on track.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2008, 1:52 AM

Quote:
I can't wait to see how people in Portland react to a federal proposal blessed by President Obama to help fund the CRC project and get that freeway going.
Quote:
I've seen drive-thru banks with more lanes than this!
Quote:
For many on the far left it's going to be a bitter pill to swallow from the man they helped elect.
You really are an ass.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2008, 7:13 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Old Posted Dec 9, 2008, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsbear View Post
You really are an ass.
Well, gosh, I don't know what brought that on. Perhaps a particularly bad day for you?

As for me, I still find it interesting the way the anti-car left is reacting to this news from Mr. Obama. And better still, there's a big bailout of General Motors and Chrysler on the horizon.

I voted for Mr. Obama quite happily. But I don't agree with the anti-car faction of the left when it comes to stopping all progress on roads and bridges and car-based infrastructure. The CRC, for example, is a really good example of the types of road investment this country needs, and Mr. Obama wants his new administration to provide. And yet the recent local protests and ongoing commentary on the CRC suggests there's an uphill battle for it to be approved quickly.

But the "use it or lose it" comment from Mr. Obama should be terrifying for the local planners in Oregon and Washington. If they continue that silly bickering over whether to replace this 90 year old freeway bridge they could very well lose the funding and see it go to another community that is more receptive to infrastructure investment.

I can't wait to see how this plays out in regards to the CRC!

Old Posted Dec 9, 2008, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanL View Post
Let's build the CRC, widen I-5 through the Broadway-Marqam corridor while also burying the freeway, then install scrubbers on the ventilation shafts.

With sufficient effort put in you could make an I-5 tunnel emmission free.
I love that idea, and I've thought about it as well after a recent trip back home to Portland.

What a great improvement that would be for both West Coast commerce and local Portlanders!

Old Posted Dec 10, 2008, 2:09 AM

Folks, the CRC is unlikely to get funded in its current form. The primary reason for this is not an "anti-car left", but the total lack of consensus between Oregon and Washington. Much of Clark County is diametrically opposed to tolling and wants the maximum number of auto lanes and many people don't even want the light rail. The Van city govt has staunchly opposed closing the Pearson airfield and says it has no interest in making any sort of grand aesthetic statement through the design. People on the PDX side are suspicious of the effects of having 6 lanes in either direction, even if several of the lanes are supposed to be for "local" use. There is zero political will for expanding lanes through N Portland down to the Rose Quarter, where the next huge bottleneck is. The city council and Metro have both made it clear that the only way they'll sign off on this is if both Columbia bridges are tolled, the new bridge is aesthetically bold, and its effect (depending on the number of new lanes) on future land use patterns in the region are thoroughly studied. And I may be forgetting something. Those are some serious conditions. Add to that the guarantee of lawsuits if it does move forward. It's not going to happen in current form. A variety of compromises are possible that could get it rolling, of course.

I predict that the project falls apart and over the years a new push materializes to look again at the idea of building an arterial bridge between N PDX and Van with light rail. I think over time the I-5 will become more of a local freeway connector, with most through traffic using a possibly-widened 205. And I think tolls will be implemented and the east bank freeway and Marquam bridge will eventually be removed due to massive central city/riverfront development pressure as more and more people move to the area and want to live close-in. The Fremont will remain the only freeway bridge crossing in downtown Portland. I'm ready to place bets.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2008, 4:22 AM

I hope you're right!

Old Posted Dec 10, 2008, 12:01 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

It'll only happen that way if we put more political pressure on the appropriate people.

And its just such a waste of money. Its a solution looking for a problem, is what it is...

Old Posted Dec 14, 2008, 6:50 PM

All I could manage when I read this was a "wow".

Westside Express deal cost TriMet millions
The agency contracted with a rail car company it knew was failing, and eventually had to seize control of it
Fredrick D. Joe/The Oregonian

TriMet pumped millions of dollars into a shaky Colorado company in recent months, keeping it alive despite mismanagement so it could finish the agency’s new commuter rail cars.

The agency handed $5.5 million to the nearly bankrupt Colorado Railcar Manufacturing on top of $17 million awarded to the company for four specialized cars. TriMet expected to easily reclaim $3 million of the extra payments, but a court fight jeopardizes that hope.

The mess explains in part why TriMet is late launching its new westside commuter service, and it shows what can happen when a public agency makes a risky choice to do business with an unproven vendor.

TriMet contracted with Colorado Railcar in 2005 even though agency officials knew the company was losing money and had little cash. They said they were aware of past business troubles of the company’s owner, Tom Rader.

TriMet’s general manager, Fred Hansen, told The Oregonian that Rader’s past was “not a major concern” because the problems happened years earlier.

Almost from the moment Colorado Railcar started work in late 2006, the company fell behind schedule. Company officials disguised the truth about why and then stalled TriMet by repeatedly claiming that new financing was just about in hand.

The company’s financial condition worsened through 2007, forcing TriMet to speed up payments to help. Company officials diverted some of the money to other work.

In early 2008, TriMet took charge of Colorado Railcar’s finances. It paid $1 million in interest to the company’s lender and covered unpaid bills, the rent and even the company owner’s $37,000-a-month salary.

TriMet executives defend their actions, saying they aggressively safeguarded the agency and public money. They said circumstances forced tough choices to get the rail cars done and shipped to Oregon.

Details about Tom Rader’s troubles running two other projects are chronicled in publicly available documents — Philip Morris documents posted online and court and securities filings related to Rader’s problems with a Florida company. TriMet officials said they knew of Rader’s past and it was not a “major concern.”

The Philip Morris debacle

Rattlesnake salad, lobster bisque and buffalo chili were on the lunch menu in 1995 as Rader hosted his customers from Philip Morris, the cigarette company.

Rader was a gifted salesman, and Philip Morris the year before handed his company, Rader Railcar Inc., a $28 million contract to build one of the most luxurious trains to ride the American rails. Within months of that high-toned lunch, Philip Morris was suffering financial indigestion from its dealings with Rader. The project was behind schedule and costs were mounting by the millions.

Time after time, Philip Morris executives trekked to Colorado to investigate the problems. They described in reports their concerns with the lack of controls, inadequate engineering and ever-escalating costs. The company finally forced Rader to hire an outside project monitor.

It wasn’t enough, as a brutally frank internal memo reported a year later. Rader and his executives “don’t know how to supervise people; results in much of rework; engineering also stinks,” the memo said.

Evaluating manufacturing flaws, another tobacco executive wrote of Rader’s operation that there was a “fine line between stupidity and dishonesty and I think we’re right on it.”

By the spring of 1997, the $28 million train had become a $70 million train, and costs continued to mount. Philip Morris finally stopped the project, ordering Rader to cut the unfinished train into scrap.

Call it Debacle II

As the Philip Morris deal unraveled, Rader had other problems. He had set up a second company called Rader Railcar II. This business took over work unrelated to the Philip Morris project, including a $10 million contract with a Florida company.

The contract was with First American Railways, a company Rader helped found. The company went public, raising millions to buy Rader’s train cars. Work quickly fell behind schedule.

“He ran out of money,” said Ray Monteleone, former president of First American Railways. “We had to feed him hand-to-mouth.”

Monteleone sent officials to Colorado to monitor the books and help manage affairs.

“We had to run his company to get those cars delivered,” Monteleone said.

It wasn’t enough. The company reported to shareholders that Rader Railcar II missed one schedule and then an amended one for delivery of the cars.

Rader Railcar II still owed Florida three cars when it announced in November 1997 that it was shutting down. The firm blamed tardy payments from the Florida operation.

That was news to First American, which fired back that not only had Rader Railcar II been paid on time, it had received advance payments as well. In 1998, First American Railways went bankrupt, blaming the late delivery of the cars for slow business.

The Westside Express Service, now scheduled to start in February, is designed to carry 4,000 passengers daily between Beaverton and Wilsonville. They will ride on self-propelled passenger cars, picked by TriMet to save fuel costs over locomotive-led trains.

In 2004, two companies said they could build what TriMet wanted, although neither had a customer using such cars. One international manufacturer quickly dropped out because it couldn’t find enough business to justify production.

That left TriMet with Tom Rader’s undercapitalized company.

Rader, 62, made millions in 1987 from selling a company that created Alaska rail tours. He moved into rail car manufacturing, starting in a former blimp hangar in Tillamook. Rader didn’t respond to interview requests or written questions, but associates and records portray a man with a passion for railroads and a genius for spotting opportunity.

One of his companies garnered notoriety in 1997, when cigarette maker Philip Morris canceled its order for a luxury train because it was behind schedule and over budget. Philip Morris paid Rader’s company $70 million before giving up.

His next company sputtered to a close when it couldn’t finish rail cars for a highly publicized Florida tour train. The Florida company said delayed deliveries strangled its business, forcing it into bankruptcy.

Rader was back in business in 1998, this time as Colorado Railcar Manufacturing. His opportunistic nature soon had him on a new track, designing rail cars for public transit.

TriMet knew the risk

When TriMet chose Rader’s company to build its cars, his company had only one other order on its books for a new car. Agency officials knew the company had little cash on hand and had slipped into the red in 2004.

Jim Fronk, TriMet procurement director, said in an internal memo dated Feb. 23, 2005, there was “some level of risk” in doing business with Colorado Railcar.

He recommended TriMet “mitigate that risk” with unusual contract restrictions, a lien on all parts of TriMet’s cars while under construction and a requirement for a $3 million letter of credit.

Fronk didn’t mention Rader’s business history in that memo or in an update he wrote seven months later.

TriMet executives insisted in interviews that they knew of what one characterized as Rader’s “checkered past.”

Neil McFarlane, TriMet executive director for capital projects, said agency officials didn’t seriously consider changing course despite the discoveries. Colorado Railcar had the “perfect product” for the commuter service, he said.

Yet, McFarlane said, “We knew that if this company got into trouble it did not have deep pockets to reach into.”

In contract negotiations in 2005, TriMet asked Colorado Railcar for a performance bond worth $8.5 million, or about half the contract. Such a bond could be turned into cash for TriMet if it had to take over rail car construction.

Colorado Railcar executives contended such a bond was too expensive. TriMet backed down and agreed to a $3 million letter of credit, projecting it would cover even a worst-case scenario.

Besides, Hansen said, the company said Rader was pledging his own assets to guarantee the letter of credit. If the company owner was putting his home and others assets on the line, he must mean business, Hansen concluded.

Rader never made that pledge, company officials now say, but TriMet officials didn’t know that when they signed the contract.

A ‘recovery plan’

In November 2006, Colorado Railcar went to work stitching together the first of 5,000 parts needed for one TriMet car.

Within weeks, TriMet engineers visiting the plant in Fort Lupton, Colo., detected that tasks were being done out of sequence. Construction also was slower than expected. Nosing around, they picked up rumors that workers didn’t have the parts they needed because unpaid vendors wouldn’t ship them.

Back in Portland, TriMet officials weren’t panicked. TriMet routinely encounters delays in major projects and just as routinely demands a “recovery plan” from contractors. In its plan, Colorado Railcar said it was a month behind on one car.

TriMet’s notes of a Feb. 22, 2007, conference call record Rader’s optimism that he would soon have $15 million in new financing. Vendors would be paid and parts would flow, Rader said. Colorado Railcar would catch up and make the date for a strength test of the rail cars.

This was crucial to the Westside Express Service. By spring 2007, TriMet had acquired five miles of route and contractors were laying rail. The work would be of no use without rail cars that one TriMet executive described as the “heart of the project.”

McFarlane, TriMet’s executive director, decided to dig deeper into Colorado Railcar’s affairs. He wrote to Rader that “TriMet is now required to exercise due diligence” in examining the company. He demanded more detailed information than requested before the contract was signed. McFarlane also dispatched a high-level team to Fort Lupton, about a half-hour north of Denver.

This time, Rader said he was just a week from financing. According to TriMet, he warned the visiting TriMet officials that if he couldn’t get the financing, “all bets are off.” Those notes characterized Rader and his executives as “engaging” and “candid.”

Rader didn’t share that he had recently acquired another venture -- the American Orient Express luxury train. He assumed $6 million in debt but didn’t put up any cash. He later used Colorado Railcar money to operate what one accountant described as his “personal toy.”

The acquisition helped cement the big loan package Rader had been chasing. In May 2007, Hilco Financial, a Chicago financier of troubled companies, loaned Rader’s companies $17 million.

TriMet officials figured that the sophisticated lender wouldn’t pour money down the drain.

“We all sighed a big sigh of relief,” said Tuck Wilson, TriMet special counsel managing the commuter project.

The loan relaxed TriMet’s vigilance.

“It produced a little higher level of confidence than it should have,” Hansen said.

An insider’s tip

Rader’s companies chewed through the Hilco millions over the summer of 2007, and vendors once more were pounding on the door for payment.

TriMet helped out, speeding up payments and advancing sums for parts on order. The agency was assured its money would be used only for TriMet cars. That wasn’t the case.

In fall, Wilson learned from a company insider that TriMet’s money had been diverted to another project. He called Rader.

“He expressed some embarrassment. I expressed frustration. It was a painful conversation,” Wilson recalled.

For TriMet, the company’s thin credibility had evaporated.

“Were we being lied to? The answer is yes,” Hansen said.

Wilson hired Conrad Myers, a Portland forensic accountant, to investigate Colorado Railcar’s finances.

Myers’ confidential report in late November 2007 contained a trainload of bad news.

“CRM will not survive beyond the end of the year without appropriate emergency action,” Myers wrote.

Wilson worked through the Thanksgiving weekend on his own recovery plan. He figured TriMet’s best hope was to take control of Colorado Railcar. Otherwise, he feared, the company would go bankrupt.

If that happened, the rail cars would be locked up in litigation and the commuter service would be postponed.

He crafted a take-it-or-leave-it deal for Rader: TriMet gets control of your company or we cancel the contract now.

He had backing for the unprecedented move all up the line, including from Hansen, the agency’s general manager.

“You have to be very flinty-eyed,” Hansen said.

In return for control, TriMet promised to pay the company’s other costs and past-due bills unrelated to the rail cars. Another customer, state-run Alaska Railroad, later joined the pact and shared those costs.

The deal was still being put to paper when Myers returned to Colorado in late December for another look. His bleak report: Colorado Railcar needed money immediately to cover paychecks. The next day, TriMet wired $545,000.

But that was almost the good news compared to what else Myers reported.

He estimated Colorado Railcar would need an additional $5 million to keep going. That was on top of the $17 million TriMet was under contract to pay.

Trapped by circumstances, TriMet saw no choice but to pay.

Rader kicked out

Tom Rader didn’t show much appreciation for TriMet’s help.

He was furious when he found out Wilson had called another Colorado Railcar customer to share the unfolding developments. He jumped Wilson by phone in a call Wilson vividly recalls.

“On top of his other issues, he had an anger management problem,” Wilson said.

It was the last time the two men talked.

TriMet cinched up control of Colorado Railcar’s spending, knocking Rader’s children off the company payroll. The agency paid for power, phone service and factory rent.

In April, Hilco lost patience with Rader and used its loan agreement to force a change in command. Rader was tossed out of his own company, only to preside over the collapse of his luxury railroad. He was replaced in Fort Lufton by a veteran of the rail car business.

That veteran, Larry Salci, was appalled at what he encountered. The shop floor was a mess. Without access to the right cranes, workers dragged 200,000-pound rail cars across the concrete floor, gouging and grinding as they went.

With Salci on board and TriMet controlling the money, work stepped up on TriMet’s cars. Two arrived in Wilsonville in June, and two more in September. A TriMet lawyer sent the company a letter of “thanks and congratulations.”

The letter also asked Colorado Railcar to repay $5 million within 60 days.

Money keeps flowing

Agency officials thought they would easily recover $3 million of that sum by cashing the letter of credit.

Beyond that, Hansen said, “I didn’t hold out much hope.”

But in October, a judge temporarily blocked TriMet’s claim to the letter. The agency’s expectation of a routine banking transaction turned into a legal fight over whether TriMet engaged in fraud. The agency forecasts that disputing that allegation will cost it an additional $100,000.

Meanwhile, money flows from TriMet to Colorado Railcar. The agency explained that it needs Colorado Railcar engineers to commission the new cars.

TriMet was supposed to get that service under its original contract, but that money is long gone. Now, TriMet has to cover engineers’ pay and other company costs. Those additional costs so far total $653,000.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2008, 10:10 PM

What a mess.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2008, 11:19 PM

did i miss something? why did we have to go with an unproven manufacturer? there are plenty of commuter railroads in the US, there must be a more reliable supplier out there.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2008, 12:49 AM
zzzzzzzz

^ From what I've read, Colorado Railcar is the only US manufacturer of DMUs that are FRA compliant (can run on the same tracks as freight). Federally funded transit projects are obligated under the Buy America Act to purchase from American manufacturers (hence the new streetcars being built at Oregon Ironworks instead of in the Czech Republic).

Old Posted Dec 15, 2008, 2:37 AM

i think i've heard the same thing, i'd just be surprised to hear that portland is the only place in the US using DMUs. does every other system use regular passenger trains?

Old Posted Dec 15, 2008, 3:30 AM
zzzzzzzz

Miami's commuter rail uses DMUs built by Colorado Railcar, but they're the only other one I know of right now. San Diego's new commuter line (which is similar to WES in that it uses two-car trains - kind of like a "light" commuter rail) uses DMUs built by Siemens, but I don't think they're FRA compliant. Some agencies use RDCs (Rail Diesel Cars manufactured by Budd), but these are no longer being manufactured. Most of the rest run on electricity, not diesel.

Edit: This is from Wikipedia's page about DMUs...
Quote:
In the United States of America only heavyweight DMU systems are permitted on freight rail corridors. This is due to the Federal Railway Administration setting higher buff strength requirements than European regulators, effectively prohibited the use of lightweight European-style light-rail DMUs on main line railways.

Several rail operators in the United States use DMUs suitable for mainline use:

* The South Florida Regional Transportation Authority has used a Colorado Railcar bi-Level DMU and Coach consist since October 2006 as a technology demonstrator on the 87-mile long Tri-Rail commuter rail line between Miami and West Palm Beach, Florida. In early 2007, three more bi-level DMUs and an additional bi-level non-powered coach were acquired.

* The Florida Department of Transportation is currently conducting preliminary engineering for a DMU commuter line connecting Orlando, Florida with neighboring communities north and south of its downtown, with service targeted to begin in 2009.[1]

* The Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority approved an allocation of $250,000 for a feasibility study of DMUs for "future transportation options for the region" on July 5, 2006 (Ara Najarian, Metro Board Member).

* Chicago's commuter rail line, Metra, is studying the use of DMUs on its newly proposed lines (STAR line, SES). They claim these DMUs will have better acceleration, be more fuel efficient, and seat more customers than the current diesel engine cab and double decker rail cars that are currently in use. [2]

* Amtrak is reportedly encouraging the state of Vermont to buy DMUs for Amtrak's state-subsidized Vermonter service, in order to save money over the current locomotive-pulled arrangement. [3]

* TriMet will be using FRA-compliant Colorado Railcar DMUs for its rush-hour Westside Express Service, a suburb-to-suburb commuter rail line between Beaverton and Wilsonville, Oregon. The opening of the line has been delayed from Fall 2008 to early 2009 due to delays in getting the vehicles.

* Also in Oregon, former BC Rail DMUs were used on the Lewis and Clark Explorer excursion train from Portland to Astoria.

* New Jersey Transit operates the River LINE from Camden, NJ to Trenton, NJ, every 15 minutes during peak hours and every 30 minutes at other times. Trains are one or two cars. The line is classified Light Rail because it utilizes imported European DMUs that do not meet FRA crash guidelines. The cars may not operate with the Freight rail service that shares the line so evening operating hours are restricted to Saturday nights. This line currently carries over 7,500 passengers on a typical weekday, exceeding expectations.

* NCTD operates the Sprinter (passenger rail) line using DMUs built by Siemens AG. Opened March, 2008, The line operates every half-hour everyday except limitations in the morning and at night on Saturday, Sunday and on holidays. The line runs from from Oceanside, CA, where transfer is possible with Coaster commuter rail service to San Diego, to Escondido, CA. Like the New Jersey Transit River LINE, it is classified Light Rail due to European DMUs, but does not run at a more typical light rail frequency.

* Boston's Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority is reportedly considering options to utilize DMUs on the Fairmount Line, currently run by locomotive-pulled carriages, in order to improve service and headways on the line. This plan has become known as the Indigo Line.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2008, 1:33 AM

What does Sound Transit use?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure