HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Aug 1, 2011, 2:12 PM
It's Hammer Time

Well let's list what it could be based on the size and location

Rona is what I'm betting since there's already a Home Depot and Lowes in the area
Wal Mart
Theatre
Costco
Superstore would have been great but that won't happen

That's all I can think of.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2011, 4:27 PM

Rona would be good.. the other one is not much good for anything.
HOPE it's not a Costco
Winner's would be nice.
Walmart would be nice as well.
Theater would be great!

Guess we just have to wait and see

Old Posted Aug 2, 2011, 12:23 PM

I'm guessing it won't be a theatre simply because there was a theatre in Centre Mall less than a decade ago (I think? My memory's a bit fuzzy)

Old Posted Aug 2, 2011, 2:28 PM
It's Hammer Time

So the possibilities are limited, either:

A hardware and home improvement retailer
A Wal-Mart
A theatre
A wholesale store

Old Posted Aug 2, 2011, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
So the possibilities are limited, either:

A hardware and home improvement retailer
Probably too small for Home Depot and Lowes, though Rona builds in many different sizes.
Quote:
A Wal-Mart
It would be the smallest one in the city (given the upcoming move from Eastgate), and a good 25,000 sq ft smaller than the Zellers (to be Target) next door.
Quote:
A theatre
Bigger than most Silver City locations, but about the same size as AMC Whitby...
Quote:
A wholesale store
Small for a Costco. Even small by their smaller-store standards.

This is assuming they stick around the 88,000 sq ft shown in the plan.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2011, 2:48 PM

it is Wal Mart

On the site plan, it shows the new building is a walmart

Old Posted Aug 3, 2011, 2:49 PM
It's Hammer Time

Yes, it is indeed a Wal-Mart. They just updated the site plan.

http://www.redcliffrealty.com/leasin...y-11%20USE.pdf

Thanks for letting us know lax94 and welcome!

Old Posted Aug 3, 2011, 4:40 PM
It's Hammer Time

Old Posted Aug 3, 2011, 4:44 PM

That's a surprising move, considering the proximity of the new Wal-Mart planned for Centennial Pkwy & QEW. The footprint is about the same as the new U. James Wal-Mart so I guess the layout will be similar.

I must say I am disappointed it isn't a theatre, but as Mishap pointed out earlier, 88,000 square feet of space was a bit large for a theatre (except for AMC multiplexes). It's interesting to see Target and Wal-Mart co-existing here. With those two destination retail locations, specialty retail will be relatively easy to attract for the smaller retail spaces on the site.

Call me a Pollyanna, but I'll still hold out hope for a theatre here. There still is that 27,000 square foot building planned for the north-west corner, but that has a "Future Shop"-ish feel to it. I would kill for a more centrally located modern theatre complex (northwest corner of Caroline and Main would be perfect!)

Old Posted Aug 3, 2011, 6:18 PM

I'd love to see another theatre in the lower city, but I think it's pretty unlikely from a major chain. The Cineplex Galaxy/Famous Players merger really put the kibosh in smaller theatres in favour of ever-larger Silvercities and Collossi, and AMC hasn't been much better – with the exception of their Yonge-Dundas franchise and maybe the one in that horrid commercial condo jungle off Hurontario, I think all of their Ontario cinemas are located in big box developments within spitting distance of a 400-series highway. Empire is the only group that seems capable of breaking the stalemate, and even then they've cannibalized holdings from the CG/FP merger, such as Jackson Square. The Centre Mall redo took that theatre off the table, so if they were to open another location in Hamilton I'd imagine it'd be the old Upper James cinema. Then again, Hollywood is really good at commercial reinvention, so maybe they'll return to smaller inner-city movie houses one day.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2011, 6:26 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

My favourite theatre is Jackson and I will always go there. Cuz I walk around and do stuff before and after. It sucks that the Jackson underground parking -- the new mgmt -- has got rid of the parking validation.

And I wish they'd stop calling the Centre Power Center a "mall". It's not a "mall" anymore as we have come to know malls. They blew it up for this disaster. I can't ever find my way in or out of there. And there is a stupid no left turn from Kenilworth onto Barton, not many cars are coming from north of Barton, it should have a left turn. So you're left having to rip down the residential street just south of Barton to turn left, or continue north through Barton and have that one entrance at Cdn Tire. Then drive an entire block through a parking lot to get to the Metro, LCBO or now that Walmart.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2011, 11:53 AM

Migration

For far too long it has been a mass exodus from the lower city. Every one driving out to the Meadowlands to shop.
So just think, if you build it they will come.
First it was the Meadowlands and now look at all the housing and homes that sprung up.
Now we have the Rymal/20/Centennial parkway shopping and look at the homes up there not to mention Binbrook which was mentioned as one of the fastest growing communities.
So with the Centre on Barton maybe it will provide a missing link. I too would like a theatre, but think a Rona or home hardware or a FutureShop for the locals would be handy as we will see a rise in population. About time for the East end. With the Farmers market move into the area and Ottawa street growing it will ALL grow.
As a side bar want to see a nice mall I was pleased with the MicMac Mall in Dartmouth. Lime Ridge seems so lame.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2011, 1:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornagainbiking View Post
As a side bar want to see a nice mall I was pleased with the Mic Mac Mall in Dartmouth. Lime Ridge seems so lame.
Ivanhoé Cambridge also owns/manages Burlington’s Mapleview Centre, which is arguably the GHA’s premier retail centre. Wikipedia tells me that they underwent $64m in renos in the last 4 years; that has helped it remain an attractive spot for top shops (recently Aéropostale, Coach, Sephora and Kiehl's). To put that in perspective, LRM – a Cadillac Fairview holding – underwent a $43m reno between 2000-2002, with another $4m going into parking and roof updates a couple of years ago. Either of them are about a 20 minute bus ride from Jackson Square.

BTW, Jackson Square opened just 11 years before Lime Ridge Mall; JS Phase 2 (the western portion including 110 King West) was completed four years before LRM opened; the city-run Central Library and the Farmers Market (which recently underwent a $14m combined reno) opened the year before LRM did. Anyone care to guess how many millions Yale Properties has pumped into improvements to JS since 2000?

Last edited by thistleclub; Aug 4, 2011 at 1:38 PM.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2011, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCTed View Post
There is also already a discount department store at the Centre (Zellers/Target) and I believe that Wal-Mart works exclusively with SmartCentres on new developments. I understand that the Eastgate Wal-Mart is still on track to move north of the Home Depot on Centennial.

With all due respect to hammertime's friend, and in the absence of any additional information, I doubt that a Wal-Mart will be moving to the Centre.
With the additional information, I no longer doubt that a Wal-Mart will be moving to the Centre.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 2:07 PM
It's Hammer Time

Walmart will complement Ottawa Street, say vendors

http://www.thespec.com/news/business...et-say-vendors

Another Walmart is coming to Hamilton.

The U.S. mega chain, the largest retailer in the world, has taken out a city building permit for a $7.7 million project at the corner of Barton and Ottawa streets — The Centre on Barton Street big box mall.

Where the appearance of a Walmart has often caused shivers of fear to run up the spines of small local merchants, the latest store is a matter of “indifference” for the executive-director of the Ottawa Street Business Improvement Area.

“It’s not going to hurt us, in fact anything that drives more traffic to that intersection can help us,” Patty Despinic said. “What our stores sell you can’t get at Walmart.”

Once known primarily as a hub of fabric stores, Ottawa Street’s offerings have diversified in recent years to attract antiques dealers who find trendy Locke Street too expensive for them.

“Walmart doesn’t have antiques or specialty fabrics of exotic food,” Despinic said. “They don’t run award-winning festivals either.”

The new store, all 8,255 square metres of it, will take up the space formerly occupied by Canadian Tire.

The Walmart project is one of several million dollar commercial-industrial projects getting under way in the city.

The latest report of building permit figures from city hall shows permits issued for a $2 million expansion of the LIUNA Gardens banquet centre in Stoney Creek, a $1.5 million project by Beverly Greenhouses in Flamborough and a $1.3 million expansion for E.D. Smith in Winona.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 8:26 PM
It's Hammer Time

KENILWORTH AVE INVESTMENT INC. / REDCLIFF REALTY MGMT CORPORATION
Permit # 12-103415-00 R9
1211 BARTON ST E HAMILTON
Super Market
10961.00 sq ft
$4,575,500.00

I'm guessing this is the Wal-Mart

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 1:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
KENILWORTH AVE INVESTMENT INC. / REDCLIFF REALTY MGMT CORPORATION
Permit # 12-103415-00 R9
1211 BARTON ST E HAMILTON
Super Market
10961.00 sq ft
$4,575,500.00

I'm guessing this is the Wal-Mart
6.5 million for 11,000 square feet. Something's not right. Way too small. Square metres, maybe?

Wait, just Googled the address. 1211 belongs to Zellers. So this permit might be for Target conversion, and possibly some added space.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 1:55 AM

And confirmed:

From the city's building permit lookup page:

"Alterations to the existing 'ZELLERS' retail store, to convert the space into a 'TARGET'. Alterations include: selective demolition, replacement exit doors, renovated washrooms and staff & ancillary spaces. "

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 3:10 AM
Hammer'd

Geez, they just buit the thing... what, 3 years ago? What a waste. Selective demolition and new exit doors...
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
Geez, they just buit the thing... what, 3 years ago? What a waste. Selective demolition and new exit doors...
What's crazy is that the layout of this Zellers resembles a few of the Target stores I've seen. A few departments are pretty much in the same location. Even the entrance and washrooms are similar, if not laid out exactly the same. And it's still taking four million dollars to change it over? I can't imagine how much it would take to convert an older format Zellers or Towers.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues