HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One57 in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 16, 2011, 5:41 AM

I was wondering how is the constructions doing so far? Is they are already in progress to continued being built more? I knows there is no constructions elevator to be installed it yet. Let's keep steady during the constructions.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2011, 3:11 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR View Post
Eh. I might have hidden it as, honestly, it's not that nice of a building. I think people just have a thing for it because it's different.
Funny, most people love it. But everyone has different taste. Of all the proposed new NY towers, its the one the fits the City best. Still, I've seen your placement of if in the proper Tower Verre thread. Makes me want to see it built all the more.

The Carnegie 57 is one that I think more people will appriciate once it starts to take shape.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubadour View Post
It seems natural that the angled face oriented toward the Park will have some sort of additional styling beyond the regular facade. My preference would be some kind of linear, symmetrical golden pattern, but vertical slats would be fine. Here are some crudely-rendered ideas (I used MS Paint, sorry I'm not an artist) - although I have no clue what the actual designers intend for the face. I borrowed a small fragment of STR's render for these, hopefully it's cool. It's crudity means you have to use your imagination for how it might look good in reality.

Carnegie 57 render a by troubadour1, on Flickr

Carnegie 57 render b by troubadour1, on Flickr

Carnegie 57 render c by troubadour1, on Flickr

Carnegie 57 render d by troubadour1, on Flickr

its gonna look like this

Old Posted Jan 17, 2011, 4:01 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Funny, most people love it. But everyone has different taste. Of all the proposed new NY towers, its the one the fits the City best. Still, I've seen your placement of if in the proper Tower Verre thread. Makes me want to see it built all the more.

The Carnegie 57 is one that I think more people will appriciate once it starts to take shape.
Between the two I think I like Tower Verre better, but Carnegie 57, though it's not perfect, has a certain charm and definitely height that will make a strong mark on the area, especially as seen from Central Park.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2011, 10:33 PM
Seek The Upward Horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss-ton View Post
its gonna look like this

Somehow I missed that, even though I've been tracking this building forever. But great!

Old Posted Jan 18, 2011, 9:20 PM
Frigidus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubadour View Post
Somehow I missed that, even though I've been tracking this building forever. But great!
I'm not quite sure why everyone thinks this building looks so "great;" I find the shape rather odd and that giant grating (or whatever it is) at the top just too industrial. But hey, a supertall in this economy? I'll take it!

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Jan 19, 2011, 2:39 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCzech View Post
I find the shape rather odd and that giant grating (or whatever it is) at the top just too industrial.
Gary Barnett said it would be a very "unusual" building. It's slightly that, but I expected something a little more "odd". That wouldn't have necessarily been a bad thing. Odd can sometimes be good, especially in a city where people complain about the skysrapers being the "same old thing".

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2011, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCzech View Post
that giant grating (or whatever it is) at the top just too industrial.
Then again, the man bearing that last name made his fortune in that field.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2011, 10:47 PM
New Yorker for life

JANUARY 28, 2011

Old Posted Jan 29, 2011, 6:19 AM
BANNED

I walked by here last night and was impressed with the progress.

Hopefully, demolition will start soon on 221-225 W 57th.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2011, 6:27 PM

wow!

this is looking really good!
isnt the lower part of the building suppose to start rounding the roof?
like the curve?

Old Posted Jan 31, 2011, 4:16 AM

It has 1 or 2 more floors to the first setback (and round corner). Should be showing up soon. Wonder if the construction elevator is up on 58th st yet. That'll speed things up.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2011, 4:24 AM

Is it me or do Americans take so F'ING long to build skyscrapers. Its amazing, you see them start after and finish earlier in other countries.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2011, 4:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsule F View Post
Is it me or do Americans take so F'ING long to build skyscrapers. Its amazing, you see them start after and finish earlier in other countries.
Hmm? There have been like 10 brand new skyscrapers built in NYC over the past year. Carnegie 57 is moving slowly because the developer is trying to get traditional financing for it. It'll speed up soon.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2011, 5:09 AM
BROOKLYN

Quote:
It doesn't really matter as long as they get built.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2011, 6:06 AM
BANNED

Quote:
That's because we build them responsibly, unlike some other completely unsustainable "destinations" (I refuse to call Dubai a legitimate city) Americans actually use their skyscrapers to hold people, not as pathetic trophies that are supposed to proclaim their country's "arrival" into modern society. Until Dubai and SE Asia grow real, diversified, and sustainable economies, their skyscrapers will be nothing but premature ejaculations to me. We live in a post-modern society along with Europe. Everyone else is still playing catch-up to be modern.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2011, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Not to pile it on here, but yes the developer is looking to secure traditional financing, but it's also in the middle of winter here and we've gotten a huge amount of snow this winter here in NY which slows things down, look at WTC1 for example. Once the weather starts to get better, and as it gets narrower, this should speed up.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2011, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don098 View Post
That's because we build them responsibly, unlike some other completely unsustainable "destinations" (I refuse to call Dubai a legitimate city) Americans actually use their skyscrapers to hold people, not as pathetic trophies that are supposed to proclaim their country's "arrival" into modern society. Until Dubai and SE Asia grow real, diversified, and sustainable economies, their skyscrapers will be nothing but premature ejaculations to me. We live in a post-modern society along with Europe. Everyone else is still playing catch-up to be modern.
I wouldn't go so far as to say Dubai is "not a city", but it certainly uses its skyscrapers purely as trophies.

And its not just USA and Europe. Canada, Australia, Japan, South Korea and China are all on our level too.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2011, 5:13 PM
New Yorker for life

Thank you all for that interlude. But please keep the discussion primarily on the Carnegie 57, and not on what's being built and how around the world.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2011, 6:33 PM

I think our 'scrapers go up pretty quick. I feel that way about Canada, though. Wasn't Trump Toronto proposed before Trump Chicago? Towers in Toronto seem to take a long time to completion.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive