HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Mar 24, 2009, 12:41 AM
Great White Norf

ATTN: Calgary forumers involved in Urban Planning

I hate to ask this, but I've been in Calgary for 6 weeks now and am struggling to find a decent job.

I received my Bachelor of Science degree in Urban and Regional Analysis and Planning in December, 2008 from the State University of New York College at Buffalo (aka Buffalo State College).

Does anyone have any leads on any positions in urban planning or related fields?

Please PM me.
Thanks in advance,

Grant

Old Posted Mar 24, 2009, 12:47 AM
Booooring!

have you tried the City?

Old Posted Mar 24, 2009, 3:08 AM
Round Head

To be frank, it's more difficult to land a position as a professional planner without a Masters. Do you have any planning related experience?

There are a few options:

Take the time during the recession and when the job market is bad to get a masters (I know - a tough one because of the cost).

Another option would be to try for a planning technician job at the City - it's where many entry level planners start, particularly without a Masters.

You could also go directly to various private planning firms like Brown and Associates, Stantec, IBI Group, O2 Planning.

Good luck, I know it's tough going these days.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2009, 3:11 AM
Urbis Maximus

Here are a few jobs posted on AACIP

Land Development Planner

A unique opportunity exists with Genesis Land Development Corp. This position offers the chance to work and grow with a dynamic company. The successful applicant will be responsible for overseeing and coordinating various consulting disciplines, negotiating with approving authorities and obtaining planning approvals for a variety of development projects. The successful applicant will have the following skills and attributes. A background in development planning and subdivision design complemented by a familiarity with the planning and development approval process. Strong mediation and negotiation skills. The ability to develop and present written and verbal communication materials in support of development proposals.

Genesis Land Development Corp.
Application deadline is April 10, 2009.

If you are interested in this fabulous career opportunity, please apply by sending your resume with salary expectations and Quoting job number “AALAND2009” to the following contact information:

Human Resources
Fax: 403-266-0746
Email: Human.Resources@genesisland.com

Planning Policy and Land Use Supervisor
Competition #09-018

Reporting to the Policy and Land Use Manger, the Supervisor will be responsible for the day-to-day leadership, supervision and coordination of the Policy and Land Use team. In addition, the Supervisor will have a leadership role in a variety of policy development projects.

Municipal District of Rocky View

Interested applicants are invited to submit their resume and cover letter, quoting the competition number in the subject line of any e-mail, on or before Sunday, April 05, 2009, to:

Human Resources

911 - 32nd Avenue N.E.
Calgary, Alberta T2E 6X6
Confidential Fax: (403) 276-1407
E-mail: careers@rockyview.ca

Community Designer
Calgary, AB

Our preferred candidate will have post-secondary education in planning and/or urban design and between 5 to 10 years of relevant experience in planning policy and design consulting. Are your skills, strengths and interests suited to the following: Having an interest and experience in working closely with local governments, the development industry and public/stakeholder groups to help deal with key community planning and design issues such as growth management, intensification, design guidance and sensitive integration of land uses. Having a solid understanding of planning process, design analysis and option generation, land economics and the preparation of municipal policy and design guidelines and frameworks. Committed to actively consulting and engaging stakeholders and public interests through the planning process. Having a broad exposure to diverse approaches, perspectives and experiences (e.g. through research, employment experience, etc.). Having an aptitude for issue identification, clarification and complex problem solving.
Urban Systems
Please quote: “Calgary – Community Designer” in the subject line of your application

Deadline for application is Sunday, March 29th, 2009
www.urban-systems.com

http://www.aacip.com/public/employment.htm

Old Posted Mar 24, 2009, 5:50 AM
City Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
To be frank, it's more difficult to land a position as a professional planner without a Masters. Do you have any planning related experience?

Another option would be to try for a planning technician job at the City - it's where many entry level planners start, particularly without a Masters.
Yup! It can be incredibly hard to get a planning job with the City. How much professional planning experience do you have, and are you eligible for CIP membership? At least a year of the former is probably needed to get you past the City's screening process while CIP membership could very easily be a minimum for hiring managers. My advice would be to apply for a planning tech job like Josh advised or even a job in Assessment. I know a couple of planners who started off in assessment and moved up internally. Best of luck mate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMD UW View Post
Here are a few jobs posted on AACIP

Planning Policy and Land Use Supervisor
Competition #09-018

Reporting to the Policy and Land Use Manger, the Supervisor will be responsible for the day-to-day leadership, supervision and coordination of the Policy and Land Use team. In addition, the Supervisor will have a leadership role in a variety of policy development projects.

Interested applicants are invited to submit their resume and cover letter, quoting the competition number in the subject line of any e-mail, on or before Sunday, April 05, 2009, to:

Human Resources

911 - 32nd Avenue N.E.
Calgary, Alberta T2E 6X6
Confidential Fax: (403) 276-1407
E-mail: careers@rockyview.ca
Unfortunately, you're going to have to scratch this one off the list. This is the department I use to work in and they are looking for an experienced supervisor.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”
- Roberta Brandes Gratz

Old Posted Mar 24, 2009, 6:15 AM

May also be an idea to check with some of the surrounding communities, I see one listed on the Cochrane town site for a 'Development Planner II',exactly what that is I'm not sure (they put all the job descriptions behind a user/pass, generally the roman numeral just means that that is that number of positions they have overall of that job), its status is listed as 'on-hold' but it may be an idea to inquire anyways (it was also in last weeks paper from what I recall, so its its likely a pretty recent listing).

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Mar 24, 2009, 4:10 PM
Urban Advocate

There are a number outside the city as well if you are interested. Alberta Muni. Affairs is looking for interns to work in smaller Albertan communities as planners. They came round to different universities to recruit soon-to-be grads. The pay isn't bad, but the biggest plus would be the experience gained to someone fresh-off-the-college-boat. Check out the website here for more info: http://www.municipalaffairs.gov.ab.c...ip/muni_58.htm

Gaining experience, making connections, doing the grunt work, etc. are all key to get your foot in the door for future opportunity. The economic condition will pass soon, and planners with experience under their belt will have great opportunities for advancement.
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Mar 24, 2009, 4:29 PM
sick transit, gloria

^I second that suggestion. I know someone who just got hired for Leduc through this program. It may still be difficult to get a position without a Masters, but they do hire new grads.

If pursuing a job with the City it's probably best to start low and work your way up. I don't know the particulars of Calgary, but if it's anything like the City of Toronto they hire based on seniority. Working as a technician for a year or so gives you a good chance against someone who has never worked for the City.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2009, 11:48 PM
Great White Norf

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. much appreciated.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2009, 3:09 AM
Criminal Mastermind

Quote:

There are a few options:

Take the time during the recession and when the job market is bad to get a masters (I know - a tough one because of the cost).

You could also go directly to various private planning firms like Brown and Associates, Stantec, IBI Group, O2 Planning.

Good luck, I know it's tough going these days.
Having a Masters will get you into any job pretty much.. but if you had a Masters, you're probably better off in the private sector making the big bucks. Basically, if you want to be making the coin, and seeking greener pastures, find employment in the private sector!

Depending on where you got your degree, your chances are a lot higher for planner 1 employment than a graduate at the UofC. They seem to be plucking planners with international experience/education... and being a planning technician at the City doesn't count as planning experience towards planner jobs unfortunately.

Many UofC grads are disapointed to find that out only after they had already started as a Planning technician. The best bet is to hop on board with a Planner in Training position offered at the City, or get some good experience with the MD.. which they do count for experience.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2009, 12:26 PM
Urban Advocate

WIGS, I have some knowledge of a public job that has yet to have been posted that would apply to you, and would a good resume builder. Problematically, it is in Edmonton. Not sure if that works at all for you. Send me a PM if you are interested.
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Mar 27, 2009, 4:18 PM
Round Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by unibrain View Post
Having a Masters will get you into any job pretty much.. but if you had a Masters, you're probably better off in the private sector making the big bucks. Basically, if you want to be making the coin, and seeking greener pastures, find employment in the private sector!
Depends what kind of private sector. I can tell you that in Ontario, as a starting planner, private sector definitely pays less.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2009, 5:47 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Depends what kind of private sector. I can tell you that in Ontario, as a starting planner, private sector definitely pays less.
Depends more on the region or even individual city. I've noticed a very strong correlation between private/public sector jobs, and the specific location. Some cities (provinces) seem to pay better for public sector for just about every field, some the complete opposite.

Planning in Ontario lines up with most other white-collar fields I know about there (certainly at the entry level, anyway).

The few federal government departments that do exist in Calgary, for example, have a hell of a time attracting staff.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2009, 2:16 AM
Urbis Maximus

Quote:
And I would agree with that....

Old Posted Mar 28, 2009, 7:05 AM
effete latte-lifter

^^He is the one working as a planner in the private sector, in Ontario, i think he probably knows what he's talking about,

Old Posted Mar 28, 2009, 8:45 PM
sick transit, gloria

An entry level planning job with the City of Toronto or surrounding municipalities can pay up to $10k a year more than one with a private consulting firm. This is based on those I know working for private firms and what the City advertises for their jobs.

This is why I hope to start with the City and find a private job before my soul is completely destroyed.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2009, 8:48 PM
Round Head

Yep, about 10 grand spread in Toronto.

I believe planners both public or private sector positions make about 10-15% more in Calgary for equivalent jobs.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2009, 9:27 PM
Criminal Mastermind

Quote:
Yep, about 10 grand spread in Toronto.

I believe planners both public or private sector positions make about 10-15% more in Calgary for equivalent jobs.
Didn't realize there was such a spread out east.. I remember coming out of school and not finding any jobs (or jobs that got filled up by people that had experience).

I've managed to bump into some old buds of mine that graduated in the same class, and both work in the private sector for developers. At the height of the boom, both were making considerably more than I was.. doing pretty much the exact same job... but at the lowest of the boom, one got laid off and the other had to take a pay cut.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2009, 10:31 PM
Urbis Maximus

^ thats why one should always create a niche for themselves, particularly when working in the private sector. If you have a skillset that is unique that adds 'value' to the organization, you have a less chance of being 'let go' when things slow down.

In addition to this, the ability to attract new clients / projects is also important.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2009, 12:01 AM
effete latte-lifter

oops, wrong thread

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation