HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Feb 7, 2013, 3:39 PM

There have been a couple of stints with AA Baseball teams. . . both teams, Pioneerzz the first time, and Roadrunners the second time, had decent turnout. . . but eventually the leagues went bankrupt. The teams were in different leagues. I believe that the Pioneerzz won their league in their first or second year. One of the reasons that the Pioneerzz team league went under is because they formed hoping to get the backing of MLB. . . Once they were informed that it wouldn't be coming, it went under quickly. I don't know if the second league had similar problems because I was already living up on the Wasatch front at the time and didn't follow it as closely.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2013, 11:41 AM

SkyWest St. George-to-Denver jet service begins June 6

By Paul Beebe | The Salt Lake Tribune

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/money/5...r-jet.html.csp

SkyWest Airlines will launch nonstop jet service between its home airport in St. George to Denver International Airport in June.

The airline will fly the route as United Express for United Airlines with a 50-passenger CRJ200 regional jet.

Beginning June 6, flights will depart Mondays through Sundays from Denver at 1:30 p.m. and arrive in St. George at 3:15 p.m., according to SkyWest.

Return flights will leave St. George at 3:40 p.m. and land in Denver at 5:18 p.m.

Customers can book seats at www.united.com or by calling United at 1-800-864-8331.

(Someone please clarify this sentance)
To free up a jet for the route, SkyWest will discontinue flying between St. George and Los Angeles on April 9.

SkyWest operates a nonstop route for Delta Air Lines between St. George and Salt Lake City International Airport. It flies the route as Delta Connection.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2013, 10:05 PM

That's going to be a popular flight in the future. I think this flight makes more sense than the flight to LAX. While it's true that you can connect anywhere from either airport, it just doesn't make sense to fly St George to LA, if you're going back east somewhere. St George to Denver makes a lot more sense.

On a clear day, this is probably one of the more scenic flights in the country as well. Might be worth the flight, just for the views.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2013, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deek1978 View Post
That's going to be a popular flight in the future. I think this flight makes more sense than the flight to LAX. While it's true that you can connect anywhere from either airport, it just doesn't make sense to fly St George to LA, if you're going back east somewhere. St George to Denver makes a lot more sense.

On a clear day, this is probably one of the more scenic flights in the country as well. Might be worth the flight, just for the views.
I agree with you that DEN is probably a better option. I think that it will help United to compete better with Delta's long-established route through SLC. United's hub at DEN offers better connections to more of the country than
LAX.

From what I've read elsewhere on the web, the SGU-LAX flight hasn't sold a ton of tickets and is often filled up with SkyWest employees using their free flight privileges for quick trips to SoCal. The LAX route has been operated by a 30-seat turboprop, so the sentence about "freeing up a jet" is a little off. United and Delta are both trying to cut back on the number of routes they fly with 50-seaters because the economics aren't favorable. So as they have adjusted their schedules to reduce 50-seat flying, I'm sure that SkyWest has plenty of slack in the fleet right now to support a daily round trip on DEN-SGU.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2013, 3:33 PM

My family and I flew St. George to LAX back in July. Granted there were 11 from our family on the plane, but the flight was full, no open seats. We connected through an Alaska Airlines/ United Partnership and continued on to Anchorage. I have no idea how many people on the flight worked for SkyWest. On the return flight the lady sitting in front of us with her two kids was speaking German, so I doubt she was an employee.

Back when I was a kid my mom worked for SkyWest. My first ever flight was with them on an old Metro-Liner (19 Seats). I remember when they bought their first 8 Brasilia's and I got to take a tour of one with my cub scout troop. It was AWESOME!!! Isn't it amazing how things like that affect you even into adulthood?

Old Posted Apr 7, 2013, 4:56 PM

I don't think there should be a separate Cedar City thread, ever, but an LDS temple was announced for Cedar City yesterday. It'll be interesting to see if/how this spurs development in the area around the temple. I have some friends from Cedar City who say there's sort of a culture of inferiority in how Cedar residents see themselves compared to St George. Part of that (according to them) is that St George has the LDS temple, and Cedar...doesn't. As a part-time resident of Panguitch/Panguitch Lake, I know that little town is also excited about it.

Cedar City has a lot going for it, foremost probably Southern Utah University and their annual Shakespearean Festival. It'll be interesting to see what the temple brings with it.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2013, 6:49 PM
Wen Lambo

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
SkyWest St. George-to-Denver jet service begins June 6

By Paul Beebe | The Salt Lake Tribune

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/money/5...r-jet.html.csp

SkyWest Airlines will launch nonstop jet service between its home airport in St. George to Denver International Airport in June.

The airline will fly the route as United Express for United Airlines with a 50-passenger CRJ200 regional jet.

Beginning June 6, flights will depart Mondays through Sundays from Denver at 1:30 p.m. and arrive in St. George at 3:15 p.m., according to SkyWest.

Return flights will leave St. George at 3:40 p.m. and land in Denver at 5:18 p.m.

Customers can book seats at www.united.com or by calling United at 1-800-864-8331.

(Someone please clarify this sentance)
To free up a jet for the route, SkyWest will discontinue flying between St. George and Los Angeles on April 9.

SkyWest operates a nonstop route for Delta Air Lines between St. George and Salt Lake City International Airport. It flies the route as Delta Connection.

This will probably better accomodate all the Euro's flying west to the national parks in S. Utah during the summers.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2013, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedikermit View Post
I don't think there should be a separate Cedar City thread, ever, but an LDS temple was announced for Cedar City yesterday. It'll be interesting to see if/how this spurs development in the area around the temple. I have some friends from Cedar City who say there's sort of a culture of inferiority in how Cedar residents see themselves compared to St George. Part of that (according to them) is that St George has the LDS temple, and Cedar...doesn't. As a part-time resident of Panguitch/Panguitch Lake, I know that little town is also excited about it.

Cedar City has a lot going for it, foremost probably Southern Utah University and their annual Shakespearean Festival. It'll be interesting to see what the temple brings with it.
I think someday we'll want to add Cedar City to the St. George thread title as something like The St. George/Cedar City Metro buildup... Cool news about the Temple. I hope it will have a unique design to it.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2013, 11:42 PM

Did they say what in part of Cedar the new temple will be located?

Old Posted Apr 9, 2013, 3:14 AM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-15 View Post
The address details to come later.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Apr 9, 2013, 6:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-15 View Post
There was a news story on KSL last night that named the location, but I don't recall what it was. "_______ Hill." helpful, I know.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedikermit View Post
There was a news story on KSL last night that named the location, but I don't recall what it was. "_______ Hill." helpful, I know.
The general rumor is Leigh Hill area.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2013, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrent77 View Post
The general rumor is Leigh Hill area.
That was it. Which means nothing to me. But they had residents traipsing all over it and weeping tears of gratitude, etc. General practice of the LDS Church isn't to officially announce location until they're officially announcing the location, but often locals will know the sites ahead of time. So mebbe.

Old Posted May 19, 2013, 4:45 PM

I thought this was interesting as far as news of another building boom for St. George. For a long time The Bank of American Fork has been praised as one of America's most savvy operators. So, when they make an expansion move on St. George you can bet another boom cycle is just around the corner.

Bank of American Fork fiercely expands to southern Utah ahead of housing market rebound

By Danny Crivello

http://www.heraldextra.com/afcitizen...a4bcf887a.html

The housing turnaround is about to catch almost everyone in the business by surprise, and one of the biggest companies headquartered in American Fork is making a big bet. Bank of American Fork sprung ahead and opened a new mortgage office, in St. George, the latest sign of the mortgage industry's strong confidence.

As desirable as the long-awaited improvement may be, the unusually low level of homes for sale is creating widespread problems for buyers and sellers alike, leading to bidding wars and bubblelike price jumps in places that not long ago were suffering from major declines, such as in southern Utah and Arizona.

The 1,525 square-foot office, which is located at 491 East Riverside Drive, St. George, is the bank's latest bid to fill the rebounding demand...

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 7:03 PM

My sister's business in Alaska has taken off and she is trying to relocate to St. George. She can commute to AK and technically only needs to be there 2-3 months out of the year. Most of what she does takes place in the summer anyway, so she and her husband will just keep their house in Wasilla (You can NOT see Russia from Wasilla), but live in St. George during the school year. Anyway, back to my point. . . They've been trying to buy a house in SG for a few months, and have not been able to. They're trying to purchase a short sale, but all of their offers have been too low. They offered $230,000 for one home, and the bank countered at $310,000. This a sign at least that Banks are willing to hang on to property and not just get rid of it. Also, a year ago my brother moved into a townhome; I checked out his townhome complex. There were 22 units for sale out of 168. This last weekend I was down there visiting and only 8 units were for sale out of 168. Very intriguing. I hope that St. George can continue to lure bigger companies that will help increase the median income, so that people like myself can one day return :/

Last edited by Deek1978; May 21, 2013 at 7:05 PM. Reason: Grammar

Old Posted May 22, 2013, 1:47 AM

I think one thing that will really accelerate St. Georges growth this current upcoming boom is SkyWest and the new airport.

Utah’s SkyWest banks on 40 new jets, $40B deal

Airlines » Purchase part of expanded partnership with United.

SkyWest will begin flying Brazilian-made E-175 regional jets for United Express beginning next year. Courtesy image

By Steven Oberbeck | The Salt Lake Tribune

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/money/5...craft.html.csp

SkyWest Inc., the parent company of St. George-based SkyWest Airlines, has taken a major step to secure its long-term future — agreeing to buy 40 new 76-passenger regional jets for upward of $4 billion.

The jets will be flown under the United Express banner as part of a new partnership agreement that will run for the next 12 years, said Chip Childs, SkyWest Airlines’ president and COO...

...SkyWest also has a "conditional purchase agreement" for 60 more of the E175s that will be dependent on the Utah-based regional air carrier entering into contracts to fly them for its other partners. The purchase agreement also includes options for an additional 100 aircraft.

United and other larger carriers are embracing larger commuter jets such as the E175 as they move to retire their aging 50-seat jets, which are far less fuel-efficient. The new, larger aircraft promise lower operating expenses, and in the case of the Embraer jets that SkyWest will fly for United Express, will be configured to offer 12 first class, 16 economy plus class and 48 economy seats.

Childs said selecting the E175 was based on customer acceptance of the aircraft, fuel efficiency and attractive operating costs.

Mike Boyd, a Colorado-based aviation consultant, said SkyWest was "on the money with this deal."

There is little risk, if any, to SkyWest because it already has the 40 planes placed with United, he noted. "It is like constructing an apartment building and having all of the units leased long-term ahead of time."...

Old Posted May 23, 2013, 5:55 PM

Now if we could only get Skywest to do something about their HQ building. I'd love to see something significant in the heart of DT St. George. Pipe dream? yeah, probably. But wouldn't it be nice?

Old Posted May 24, 2013, 12:16 AM

St. George does seem to have a grasp of building a walkable inner core though. I admire what they've done so far around Pioneer Square and surroundings. I remember Ark took a real nice photo spread a while back when he was visiting. Who knows, it might not be that far off in the future when we start to see some significant mid-rises going up.

Deek, and all those familiar with St. George. Do you think it would be better for St. George to plan a future CBD with a skyline in another sector. Or are some of the blocks around St. George Blvd. the natural progression for a skyline?

Old Posted May 24, 2013, 3:19 PM

delts,

I used to think that the best place for a skyline in St. George would be down by the Dixie Center CC, as well as that entire area south of I-15, but as that area has been developed, I no longer feel that way. Remember, I grew up in St. George, I remember when there wasn't anything on the other side of the freeway. St. George Blvd used to end at the freeway ramps. I remember when they finished Red Cliffs Drive, and the mall was built in 1990.

The area where all of the dealerships are, there used to be a nice piece of land there that I had my eye on. I didn't have any money, but I would have loved to grab that land, right next to the golf course, and build a nice business park. My vision included three buildings. The first two, would be on opposite sides of a parking area, three stories each, with a nice walkway, patio, type area between them, (sort of a place that High Schools would want to use for dances and such), the Third building would be a central point, connected to the other two via said patio area. It would have been 6 stories, a real gem, with a small parking area on the opposite side of it. This area is now the Stephen Wade Cadillac dealership, so my dream went down the toilet.

Now as I visit St. George, I see it differently. I like the intersection of Main and Tabernacle the way it is. I wouldn't like to see anything higher than what they already have. Going north and east is where more height should be. The three floor Zion's Bank building could be the catalyst for more height, extending from Main Street heading east on the Blvd. The intersection of the Blvd and 200 East has some business buildings already. I would love for the County to get rid of their multiple building complex and build a nice new 5-6, or even 7 floor building. The State Bank of Southern Utah branch, located at the corner of Blvd and 400 East, is a great location. I used to work for SBSU, and they once considered tearing down the building and building newer and bigger. I believe this is still in their plans, but they built an all new St. George Main branch across from the Olive Garden. I wanted them to build a mix use mid-rise, similar to the Wells Fargo building in DT Provo. I would love to see the height come down from the Blvd to 100 South, east of 100 East, as well. Honestly, anyone that doesn't think that 100 S, and Blvd will eventually be 1-way streets is fooling themselves. I have a whole different take on what the City/State should do with that. . . perhaps in a follow up post.

Old Posted May 24, 2013, 3:34 PM

Just a little photo bump of Metro St. George's incredible scenery

^^^
Thanks Deek, I appreciate your informed response. Oh, and I was going to ask you what the latest is with the big film
studio plans for Apple Valley? I know there were big plans announced during a past Sundance, but probably put off by
the drop in the economy.

Apple Valley, Utah, is one of the most recent towns to incorporate
in Washington County. It was incorporated on October 14, 2001.

It is located on Highway 59 in a small valley on the Little Plains
between Hurricane and Hilldale Utah about 12 miles East of Hurricane.
The awe inspiring scenery is of Zion National Park in the background
and Mount Smithsonian, Canaan Mountain and Little Creek Mesa
surrounding the area. The temperature is about 10 degrees cooler
than Hurricane and St. George year around.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West