HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 6:50 PM
Editor

That Maclean's article is pretty much irrelevant.

For one thing it doesn't say who they polled....only that they polled 'Canadians' I couldn't care less about that...only what hockey fans think. That's why polls by TSN etc.. would hold more value to me.

Secondly, the Leafs and Habs show as the most hated...probably because all the Leaf fans voted against the Habs and vice versa. It doesn't say where they took the results from...Could have been mostly people in Toronto or Montreal?

I'm not surprised to see 50% of Albertans route for the Canucks...again it's not 50% of hockey fans from Alberta. I am surprised to see that almost 50% of Canadians -not hockey fans, but average Canadians -would rather see an American team take it rather than the Canucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
You are really embarrassing yourself now.

Maclean's conducts a Canada-wide scientific survey revealing a reality that contradicts your subjective perceptions; therefore the scientific survey must be wrong! Is your hatred so strong that you won't let anything get between you and your wishful thinking? Not even science?

Sad, man, sad. It's good to see the majority of your fellow Albertans are not so pathetic and irrational.

There is no law against hating the Canucks; just stop trying to convince us (and yourself) that everyone feels the same. The cold hard facts are in: they don't. Get over it and move on.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 6:59 PM
DRINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealplaces View Post

For one thing it doesn't say who they polled....only that they polled 'Canadians' I couldn't care less about that...only what hockey fans think. That's why polls by TSN etc.. would hold more value to me.

Secondly, the Leafs and Habs show as the most hated...probably because all the Leaf fans voted against the Habs and vice versa. It doesn't say where they took the results from...Could have been mostly people in Toronto or Montreal?

I'm not surprised to see 50% of Albertans route for the Canucks...again it's not 50% of hockey fans from Alberta. I am surprised to see that almost 50% of Canadians -not hockey fans, but average Canadians -would rather see an American team take it rather than the Canucks.
but....but...but.... It's scientific!

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 7:01 PM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post

Everyone just suddenly decided to hate Vancouver because they were shutout in a game 7 final?
You seem to be waging a war with reality: Not only does everyone not hate the Canucks, the Canucks are in fact Canada's favourite playoff team and supported by a majority of Albertans. It is you who are in the minority and out of step.

Quote:
Canadians Look to Canucks and Senators to Bring Home Stanley Cup

Angus Reid, April 13, 2012

Respondents were asked to select which Canadian cities possessed certain positive and negative qualities. Vancouver topped the list with the most mentions for admired (50%), exciting (47%) and fresh (42%).

Respondents were then asked to use the same scale of qualities and apply it to the seven Canadian National Hockey League (NHL) teams that are based in the same cities they had just rated. The Vancouver Canucks were ahead of all other franchises as strong (47%), exciting (36%) and clean (26%).

Source: Angus Reid Public Opinion
If you want to dispute the results of this survey, then take it up with Angus Reid, Canada's most accurate polling firm.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 7:02 PM

Calgary Alberta: Canadas biggest divers!!

Quote:
Continuing with the objective data:

The Canucks received zero diving/embellishment penalties this season (the lowest in the league). Compare that to the following NHL teams:

Washington: 4
St. Louis: 3
Minnesota: 3
NY Islanders: 3
Dallas: 3
Calgary: 2
Winnipeg: 2
NY Rangers: 2
Pittsburgh: 2
Nashville: 2
Ottawa: 1
Boston: 1
Chicago: 1
Los Angeles: 1
San Jose: 1
Tampa Bay: 1
Phoenix: 1
Carolina: 1

Source: CBS Sports

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 7:14 PM

Brent Sutter has been named Canada's coach for the World Championships.
http://tsn.ca/canadian_hockey/story/?id=393043

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 7:18 PM

Quote:
the Canucks are in fact Canada's favourite playoff team and supported by a majority of Albertans.
I bet the majority of Albertans don't actually give a damn about hockey right now.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 7:24 PM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:

I'm not surprised to see 50% of Albertans route for the Canucks...again it's not 50% of hockey fans from Alberta.
It's funny you should bring that up. Support for the Canucks is actually at its highest among Canadians who describe themselves as hockey fans.

Source: Angus Reid Public Opionion

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 7:53 PM
Editor

Quote:
It's funny you should bring that up. Support for the Canucks is actually at its highest among Canadians who describe themselves as hockey fans.

Source: Angus Reid Public Opionion
Exactly....it's surprising to see so many young Canadians (18-34) support someone other than the Canucks (62%)

As far as self described hockey fans...yes 40% support the Canucks...which means that 60% the majority don't.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 8:02 PM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:

yes 40% support the Canucks...which means that 60% the majority don't.
That's right. The Canucks depend on Alberta for majorities.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 8:10 PM

Anyways...

I predict all series will be tied at 1 tonight. And NJD will take the Panthers, most likely.

I bet J-Bouw wishes he got to be in the playoffs with the Panthers

Though I have a theory that him and Jarome have a timeshare in Mexico for the second week of April, since they can bank on it.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 8:13 PM

Canucks fans don't always sound insecure.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 8:27 PM
Editor

Quote:
That's right. The Canucks depend on Alberta for majorities.
Not surprised at that either....half the people in Alberta are from BC

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 8:29 PM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
Anyways...

I predict all series will be tied at 1 tonight. And NJD will take the Panthers, most likely.

I bet J-Bouw wishes he got to be in the playoffs with the Panthers

Though I have a theory that him and Jarome have a timeshare in Mexico for the second week of April, since they can bank on it.
Most series will likely be tied after two games. Home ice doesn't seem to mean much in the first round anymore. I don't have the stats in from of me, but in the last few years the road team has won pretty much half of the games.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 8:40 PM

Hm, well, more so it seems like the teams on Wednesday who were conventionally thought to not be able to win actually won last game, so it can't go on!

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 8:42 PM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:

The random, coast-to-coast poll was conducted by Angus Reid Public Opinion, Canada's most accurate polling firm, recognized throughout the world by corporations, governments, academic researchers, and non-profit organizations. This link explains exactly who they polled and what methadology was used. If you can provide us with a link to this TSN "poll" explaining who they polled and what methadology they used, then by all means do.

You are still at denial; only four more stages to go.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 9:17 PM
Change is good

what is with the canuck fan obsession in having Canada support them...

oh look at me mom, I might finally win a cup after 40 years... oh wait, woops fail... riot....

oh look at me mom, I might finally win a cup after 41 years... everyone look at me....oh wait, wooops (TDB)

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 9:20 PM

I don't know much about the writer, but this article from "The Hockey Writers" on diving seems pretty much spot on. The gist of the article also applies to "dirtiest" and "whiniest" team.

Quote:
The Stanley Cup Playoffs kick off this evening with three big games and in the coming two months will provide us with intense drama. It will also provide us with diving. Along with that diving will come players, coaches, general managers, fans , columnists and anyone with a rooting interest in complaining about diving.

When the complaining about diving becomes as bad as the diving itself we have reached critical mass.

Some things that we need to get out on the table before we go any further. Is diving a growing problem in the NHL? Yes. Should something be done about it? Absolutely. Is there one team that dives more than the other? Not really.

You can easily make a compilation of dive videos that would brand every team a bunch of divers...
Here's the whole article.

http://thehockeywriters.com/get-read...ve-complaints/

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
what is with the canuck fan obsession in having Canada support them...

oh look at me mom, I might finally win a cup after 40 years... oh wait, woops fail... riot....

oh look at me mom, I might finally win a cup after 41 years... everyone look at me....oh wait, wooops (TDB)
I dont care if the rest of the country hates us or not. The other most hated team right now is Pittsburgh. Two of the best teams are most hated. No coincidence.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 9:51 PM

I personally think the canucks dive more than most teams, but that's probably because I'm looking for it when I watch them. No stats or list of calls or anything like that can prove it, someone would have to watch every NHL game and count the number of dives by each team, and no one is going to do that, so lets stop arguing about it and move on!

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 9:52 PM
Editor

I never said the poll was inaccurate or anything doubting Angus Reid....I just said it was irrelevant. In the poll it says that 40% of Canadian hockey fans supported the Canucks...which of course is already less than half.....and if you were to take out BC residents that were polled....or any other Canadians polled who's from BC (there are lots here in Alberta) it would even be less.... likely less than 30% ........so, in other words the vast majority of people aren't cheering for the Canucks.

Wow...talk about brand new information!

What I did find interesting from the poll was that only 34% of Canadians aged 18-34 were pulling for the Cancuks......again take out the people from BC or those who are living somewhere else in Canada but originally from BC and it's a very low number.

Quote:
The random, coast-to-coast poll was conducted by Angus Reid Public Opinion, Canada's most accurate polling firm, recognized throughout the world by corporations, governments, academic researchers, and non-profit organizations. This link explains exactly who they polled and what methadology was used. If you can provide us with a link to this TSN "poll" explaining who they polled and what methadology they used, then by all means do.

You are still at denial; only four more stages to go.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada