HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 4:47 PM
Urbanite in Suburbia

As much as the skyline from several perspectives looks very balanced and centered around the US Bank tower, most mature cities have compound skylines...multiples peaks dispersed around the overall skyline. Think NY/Chicago/Boston/Miami. LA is one of the exceptions. I personally love the way the Chicago skyline has 4 high points almost evenly spaced with dozens of smaller towers surrounding them.
If they build the Angel's site, as well as the Civic center projects getting off the ground...you'll see a very dynamic skyline that looks drastically different from each angle.
As it is, there is a distinct skyline taking shape in South Park. If all the towers planned there take off, and nothing truly fills in the gap, we'll have a wholly developed skyline south of Olympic.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 4:52 PM
Urbanite in Suburbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
Yes...go to page 122!!! And its second to the last post on that page #SEXYandBEAUTIFUL

That is one of my favorite angles of DTLA. The WG really makes its presence known. That particular picture by kelbeen has LA giving Gotham City realness. Amazing!

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 5:01 PM
life is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelbeen View Post
By Kelbeen

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 5:02 PM

That photo is incredible! Would love to see it updated... wink wink...

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eightball View Post
Hey can you make the watermark a little bigger? I can't really see it
Sure can. I suggest an optometrist.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 7:02 PM
Urbanite in Suburbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAsam View Post
That photo is incredible! Would love to see it updated... wink wink...
Sadly this exact view has been disrupted by the Mack Urban tower now topping out about center of the pic. lol. You may need to be further back or higher up.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just-In-Cali View Post
Sadly this exact view has been disrupted by the Mack Urban tower now topping out about center of the pic. lol. You may need to be further back or higher up.
Really? The Mack Urban Tower is further south. You don't even see Circa or Oceanwide in the pic...you could if it was zoomed out some more. I wonder where this exact location...I would go over there to see the view.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Really? The Mack Urban Tower is further south. You don't even see Circa or Oceanwide in the pic...you could if it was zoomed out some more. I wonder where this exact location...I would go over there to see the view.
Based upon the location of the Transamerica tower on the right, this view is looking North instead of West. It had me fooled at first also.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 8:05 PM
Metal Up Your !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve8263 View Post
Based upon the location of the Transamerica tower on the right, this view is looking North instead of West. It had me fooled at first also.
Transamerica? You're on the wrong thread, or the wrong thread is on you, good sir.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 8:15 PM
Desert Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotizzy View Post
Transamerica? You're on the wrong thread, or the wrong thread is on you, good sir.
The building on the far right of the image is the former Transamerica Center.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 9:33 PM

Right, no offense to my San Francisco brethren but we did until somewhat recently have our own "Transamerica" tower. Not sure what it's current name is tho.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 9:36 PM

Quote:
I suspect from the very tall parking garage roof at Venice and Olive, and mack urban would be approximately in front of US bank (library tower)
And love that pic too, very film noir!

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve8263 View Post
Right, no offense to my San Francisco brethren but we did until somewhat recently have our own "Transamerica" tower. Not sure what it's current name is tho.
USC has taken over the naming rights.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 11:38 PM
life is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTLA-Joe View Post
He is easily my fav photographer on here. Wish he would post his work more!

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 5:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
The building on the far right of the image is the former Transamerica Center.
Before Transamerica it was called the Occidental Insurance Building until the late 1970s or early 1980s I recall (Occidental merged with Transamerica, and the name changed). It had a very nice restaurant with a nice view on top. Very popular before 1990. The place to bring visitors. Why is a USC logo on top now? Does USC have offices/classes in the bldg? The building used to be so lonely, separated by many blocks from the skyscrapers to the north. Now development has moved to where it is, and the old Oxy tower is not lonely anymore.

Last edited by CaliNative; Jun 3, 2018 at 9:45 AM.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 6:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTLA-Joe View Post
I suspect from the very tall parking garage roof at Venice and Olive, and mack urban would be approximately in front of US bank (library tower)
Video Link

Old Posted Jun 4, 2018, 7:03 PM

Been saving to buy a home and was looking into these condo towers but quite a few of them don't allow FHA . Going to have to save up some more if I do go this route and go against a house (not a fan of all the extra maintenance). Luckily, a lot of these buildings aren't finished yet and they keep announcing more so I'll continue to have plenty of options. Right now, Metropolis is my top choice but there are smaller buildings that I'm liking (all new). Prefer a high-rise though.

Long term plan is to buy the condo, then save up some more and buy a house once family time comes when I get into my mid-30s (and renting the condo).

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 12:15 AM

DTLA population projected to hit 200K by 2040, and that's on the conservative side.

We are truly witnessing the birth of a modern day metropolis before our very eyes. What a time to be alive.

http://www.globest.com/2018/06/04/dt...on=multifamily

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 12:52 AM
life is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae View Post
Been saving to buy a home and was looking into these condo towers but quite a few of them don't allow FHA . Going to have to save up some more if I do go this route and go against a house (not a fan of all the extra maintenance). Luckily, a lot of these buildings aren't finished yet and they keep announcing more so I'll continue to have plenty of options. Right now, Metropolis is my top choice but there are smaller buildings that I'm liking (all new). Prefer a high-rise though.

Long term plan is to buy the condo, then save up some more and buy a house once family time comes when I get into my mid-30s (and renting the condo).
That's fire good luck you won't regret imo

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 3:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprovost2020 View Post
We are truly witnessing the birth of a modern day metropolis before our very eyes. What a time to be alive.
I watch this....3:03 & 4:14.....& I'm reminded that dtla in 2018 is generally better than it was decades ago, even before ppl started abandoning it for the burbs or hoods around samo, the miracle mile & the area around the former 20th century backlot. If a person in LA in 2018 were forced back in time to 1961 & knew just how long it would take to reach the point we're coming close to right now, he or she would have given up out of impatience & exasperation. so, yes, a better time to be alive now than then.

although the homeless problem is admittedly worse today than it was over 50 yrs ago.....problems with vandalism...graffiti...are much more extreme today than in the past. The streets are dirtier too, due in part to the swapmeet nature of broadway & homeless ppl hanging out.

But the 1950s & 1960s also had weaknesses unique to LA at the time that don't exist today, or aren't as excessive. You always have to take the good with the bad.

Quote:
“It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of light, it was the season of darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair.” ― Charles Dickens, A Tale of Two Cities, 1859

Video Link

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations