HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]

Old Posted Feb 15, 2010, 2:40 AM

Haha. They said on CTV News that VANOC is considering taking down those security fences so people can get closer.

Sounds like a bad idea for now

Old Posted Feb 15, 2010, 2:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waders View Post
The cauldron at the convention centre is permanent. It will serve as a legacy for the Vancouver 2010 Olympic Games. It was a partnership between Terasen Gas Inc. and VANCO.

Source: http://www.vancouver2010.com/olympic..._274412vx.html
Who is vanco?
Don't you mean VANOC (VANcouver Organizing Committee)

Or more formally:
The Vancouver Organizing Committee for the 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games

Old Posted Feb 15, 2010, 2:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjimbc View Post
I don't think the concern is that people won't be able to walk by or under it. The concern is that it will take up an open broad space that could be used for public concerts or events.

Seeing it in person (though over a fence in a crowd ), it appeared to sit in the area between the "arm lights" and the road. If that's the case, then there is still plenty of truly vacant space between it and the water.

But if it sits in the middle, it might well prevent the use of the space for other purposes.

Either way, l like it and am glad it will remain.
Is there a skateboard skid mark on it yet?

Old Posted Feb 15, 2010, 2:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbertram View Post
Who is vanco?

Or more formally:
The Vancouver Organizing Committee for the 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games
Oop! Typo corrected. Thanks for spotting the error.

Last edited by Waders; Feb 15, 2010 at 3:25 AM.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2010, 3:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
Haha. They said on CTV News that VANOC is considering taking down those security fences so people can get closer.

Sounds like a bad idea for now
According to various news reports, VANOC is considering to replace the chain-link fence with more photo-friendly one.
The cauldron location was jammed with people today. Everyone wanted to take a picture of the cauldron. 2 policemen were standing guard. One in front and one behind the fence to prevent people from pushing against the fence.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2010, 6:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natelox View Post
Life, people and cities are multivalent and complex. Vancouver has many challenges to confront and deal with. But Vancouver also has many qualities to be proud of. Watching the Opening Ceremony for three hours does not mean people are oblivious to the challenges in the Downtown Eastside. The Olympics are not the cause of, nor the solution to, nor a scapegoat for, all the problems of Vancouver, Canada and the world over. Furthermore, the people attending the ceremony are not the people who are going to solve (if solve it the right word) the challenges of the DTES. Nor will it be people such as yourself, if you continue to complain about misallocation of taxes on the basis of moral righteousness, rather than getting your hands dirty and actually trying to help those in need. No one wants to do anything themselves and until we start to take action individually, we (myself included) and our communities are all equally to blame for at least some of the problems in the DTES. Those who are so concerned about housing and the issues at hand really should stop complaining and start trying to make a difference.

Implicit in your statement are a number of issues which I must address. So, if people are being evicted from their lodgings in the DTES, it is because of the ethical and moral choices of specific individuals (those running the lodges). If more money should be spent on housing for the homeless, I don't see how it should be in conflict with Olympic funding. It could be blamed on numerous government spending initiatives, such as the Golden Ears Bridge, or the new Portman, or port expansion or anything. This is especially true if people are going to lump in the cost of the Canada Line, Convention Centre or Sea to Sky improvements into the $6 billion figure for hosting the games.

More to the point, however, is the lack of value you placed on the Opening Ceremonies and their "silly lights". The positive meanings, values and effects of such celebrations are profound. The values of inclusiveness, community and acceptance are powerful and needed. In fact, in a recent article in the Vancouver Sun, the president of Georgia said, in the face of death and national tragedy, said, the "Olympics will go down in history as a great celebration of human solidarity, and of humanity, and perseverance, and in a very Canadian way." These feelings aren't as measurable as beds in a building, I grant you, but community building may just be what Vancouver needs.

The opportunity to assert "Canada" to the world is a powerful community and country building event that, for such an young and insecure nation, is difficult to accomplish in any other manner. Finally, it is the ability to create and take part these celebrations which make our cities, our nation such a desirable place to live. There is no forgetting the fact that the ceremony and games are an indulgence when compared to a world in which fully half of the population survive on less than $2.50 a day, and where half lack basic sanitation. But to devalue you the ceremony because of it is a short-sighted act.

And, just to state the obvious, this is much less a reply to the quoted statement at the beginning than a venting of growing frustration with many Olympic detractors. There are great points made by the detractors, and I agree with many of their concerns. Their protesting is a healthy affirmation of Canadian democracy and ensures we don't get swept up in the atmosphere of the Games. But many of the arguments are unbalanced, illogical and are focusing too much on the games and too little on the issues at hand. If the protesters really believe that more should be done about housing, why not protest everyday, everyday, not just during the Olympics. Do so in front of the Legislature, do so in front of the MLA's offices. Make change happen.

And on an unrelated note: I don't think the crowd was oblivious to the malfunction. I was there and noticed it. The fact that there was a big whole in the floor with nothing coming up where something did earlier, and the fact that there were four torch bearers standing around made it rather obvious. But what were we supposed to do? Let that minor mishap mangle the whole ceremony, or accept it and celebrate it for what it is?
Great post...i couldn't have said it better myself.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2010, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbertram View Post
Who is vanco?

Or more formally:

I think majority of people well still know what he meant.

Frankly, who cares about easy typos.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 1:17 AM

The cauldron arms look like they are clad in glass.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 2:08 AM

so VANOC is surprised that people have any interest in seeing the cauldron

are they being serious? they thought no one would want to see it?

according to the global news report thats what VANOC said and they are looking into using plexiglass as an option

Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 2:13 AM

I agree with natelox. Well done.

I have 2 design thoughts about the Cauldron arm:

First, whether it was intentional or not, using 4 arms which pivoted towards the central cauldron as they rose provided a wonderful redundancy as they closed with each other. Even if two failed there would still have been an interesting structure. And by one failing it introduced an asymmetry that was organically aesthetic—especially for something crystalline.

Second, whether the fourth indoor arm is rectified in the future, there was during the televising of the ceremony a sense of dramatic progression going from the indoor 3-arm to the outdoor 4-arm structures. The indoor cauldron was surrounded by a mass of humanity. The outdoor cauldron was relatively (in terms of televised framing) lonely—surrounded by dreary weather and open water. Having an additional arm seemed to compensate for this contrast.

That's my lemonade out of lemons.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 7:21 AM

Jack Poole Plaza cauldron conundrum

There are plenty of people complaining about the chain link fence keeping people away from a potentially dangerous situation. However, I can totally understand the safety issue.

Plexiglass isn't really the solution as it would just get wet and would be awful for photographers.

Really the problem is an installation issue. They probably should have installed it on a raised podium surrounded by a moat. A low fence around that should deter most people.

Either that or surround it by a field of 6 inch iron spikes that come out of the ground. Clean up could be messy though.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 7:27 AM

In past Games, have you EVER been able to go up close to the exterior cauldrons? It seems like kind of an obvious target..

Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 7:30 AM

they were/are usually in or part of the stadium so no access would not be easy but it would be in a visible location so you wouldn't get close anyway

Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 9:08 AM

I just thought of this, I guess they must keep it well blocked off from the public. Knowing all those morons out there - one is bound to attempt to climb up onto it.

Last thing we need is a toasted human.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 9:16 AM

i don't know a few black masked toasted ones would be okay

Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 12:22 PM

Anyone who figured it smart to climb on top. Should be toasted.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 11:28 PM

Old Posted Feb 17, 2010, 5:18 AM

I was down there today pretty big crowds

apparently i just missed Stephen Colbert who was down there i don't know - i think he was taping a segment or something

Old Posted Feb 17, 2010, 6:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
I was down there today pretty big crowds

apparently i just missed Stephen Colbert who was down there i don't know - i think he was taping a segment or something
Colbert is doing something at Creekside Park Wed and Thurs at 9AM. I thought he is in reruns this week, so he's likely taping some segments for his show or for NBC (or both).

With all the Canadian writers on his show, expect some pointy jabs.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2010, 6:47 AM

according to his site he is going around vancouver all week filming segments for his show before doing a full show taped down there - anyone going? loads of people i know on facebook are going

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]