HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Nov 27, 2010, 11:04 PM

^ LMAO!!

My post was almost bait for that lol.

....actually....a CMU satellite downtown or midtown would be nice. Don't they have one in Troy?

Old Posted Nov 28, 2010, 1:33 AM
Registered Ugly

That would be cool. When I was in DC last spring, CMU actually had a seemingly big presence there. There were ads all over the place for some DC programs.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2010, 5:33 AM

Yeah my friend working out in Alexandria said the same

Old Posted Nov 28, 2010, 11:18 AM
Honored Member

For whatever reason, CMU has "campuses" (primarily on or near military bases) in 14 other states including a major presence in Atlanta and Washington.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2010, 7:50 PM
Registered Ugly

Posted: Nov. 29, 2010

Neighbors in Detroit denounce demolition

By STEVE NEAVLING
FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

A demolition crew leveled the abandoned, castle-like Luben Apartments in Detroit's Brush Park neighborhood on Sunday evening over the protests of neighbors and preservationists after an early morning blaze gutted the historic brick behemoth.

Fire officials at the scene said the demolition is required to protect firefighters who will be investigating the blaze.

Neighbors said the fire broke out about 4:30 a.m. Firefighters were still on the scene at 3:30 p.m. By 5 p.m., a demolition crane began crumbling the façade.

"This was a historic, beautiful building," neighbor Jennifer Quigley said.

Read more: Neighbors in Detroit denounce demolition | freep.com | Detroit Free Press http://www.freep.com/article/2010112...#ixzz16hch9zD9

Old Posted Nov 30, 2010, 1:42 AM

Too bad. The neighbors and preservationists should have been more vigilant. If I lived in the neighborhood, I would do everything in my legal power to properly board up and seal the entries to the building. It takes money, but it's also a sense of pride in protecting valuable buildings in your neighborhood. I never saw this. Each time I passed by this building on visits to Detroit, there was always rotting plywood tilted or leaning out front...as if efforts hadn't been made in many many years.

It should have been on preservationists' radar as a top priority building to save, due to its relatively intact nature, excellent architecture, and good location.

There were no such efforts, and people arrived too late to save it. It's a horrible loss.

If there was any foul play involved, I only slightly retract my statement. There are honest efforts made by some citizens in all parts of the city to better their neighborhood, but in area where I'd expect to see a bit more effort, I rarely see any. There's always trash strewn about yards in Brush Park, and buildings that should be sealed are left wide open.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2010, 6:25 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

There is so very little left of the old Brush Park, and so little infill going on at the moment (thanks, recession), that any loss is a huge one, and this was a really big one. I guess the only positive thing going on in the area is that unlike the empty lots in most other parts of the city, the ones in Brush Park are generally kept well groomed.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2010, 7:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
the ones in Brush Park are generally kept well groomed.
No They Are Not. Not even generally, not even somewhat, not even a little bit. With the exception of a very small proud few and what's along woodward, the area is generally not maintained at all. Not the easements, not the empty lots, abandoned houses, or even some of the occupied buildings. You'll find trash of all sorts laying around. Broken glass, food wrappers, condoms. It's incredibly embarrassing, and a task force should be in place to take care of it. Just to confirm what I've seen countless times with my own eyes, I pulled up street view. Yep, nothing changed except one less building.

Don't take this as neighborhood bashing. It's a very serious problem and leaves an impression on the people who visit and lowers the quality of life for residents in that area. Trust me if I was living in that part of Detroit right now, I'd be organizing a Saturday morning volunteer cleanup to help take care of it.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2010, 4:27 AM

I grabbed some more cell phone shots of construction on The Union this morning. They've started putting up the brick facing on parts of the building.

I also grabbed a shot of construction on the new Wayne State Chemistry Building addition. They were putting up the glass yesterday when I took this one.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2010, 7:41 AM
Honored Member

Are there plans to tear down State Hall?

Old Posted Dec 3, 2010, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hudkina View Post
Are there plans to tear down State Hall?
Not that I'm aware of. You can view the 2020 Master Plan for WSU development here. I'm pretty skeptical of their ability to start (let alone finish) all of this in 10 years.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2010, 6:57 PM

I thought that low "blob like" thing was supposed to be all glazing. Looks solid or perhaps is that some protective coating. Took a look again at the renderings which show an entirely transparent structure. Anyway, the glass atrium is certainly impressive.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2010, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
I thought that low "blob like" thing was supposed to be all glazing. Looks solid or perhaps is that some protective coating. Took a look again at the renderings which show an entirely transparent structure. Anyway, the glass atrium is certainly impressive.
That part will not be glass, it's a lecture hall with a green roof. Here's the rendering (courtesy of the WSU Flickr):

Old Posted Dec 6, 2010, 12:49 AM

Oh okay that is an updated rendering I haven't seen before. Harley Ellis does really nice work

Old Posted Dec 15, 2010, 10:22 PM
Detroiter4life

Real estate projects in Detroit, Hamtramck to get state tax credits

By Daniel Duggan
CrainsDetroit Business
December 15, 2010

Quote:
The real estate projects are applying for tax incentives through the state's brownfield redevelopment program, overseen by the Michigan Economic Development Corp.

Projects seeking incentives are:

• An $83.5 million, six-story medical office building on the east side of Woodward, north of Mack Avenue.

The project, at 3800 Woodward Ave., will include the demolition of a medical office building and adjacent two-story office and retail suite on approximately 4.7 acres of property, according to a project description issued by the MEDC.

The project will have three components; a 200,000-square-foot, six-story mixed-use medical office building fronting Woodward Avenue; a 15,000-square-foot, single-story retail center fronting Woodward Avenue; and a 1,000-space parking garage screened by the two buildings.

The primary tenant of the new medical office building will be University Physicians Group, a for-profit corporation affiliated with the Detroit Medical Center. DMC and Wayne State University have an agreement to host residents of the medical school. Although UPG will host residents from the program, no direct financial assistance is gained from this relationship.

A $16.2 million project to redevelop four vacant residential buildings in the so-called Sugar Hill Arts District in Detroit's Midtown neighborhood.

The two-phase project will redevelop lots at 81, 95, 107 and 119 Garfield St. In the first phase, the vacant property will be razed and a 213-space parking deck will be built. In the second phase, 46 residential units will be built above a first-floor art space.
http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...te-tax-credits

Old Posted Dec 16, 2010, 7:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitMan View Post
Real estate projects in Detroit, Hamtramck to get state tax credits

By Daniel Duggan
CrainsDetroit Business
December 15, 2010

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...te-tax-credits
I'm no fan of the Professional Plaza's architecture, but it's disappointing to see them tear it down and replace it with something shorter

Old Posted Jan 24, 2011, 5:43 PM

More updates on The Union at Midtown...

According to literature being distributed by the developers, The Union will function as a sort of private student dormitory. As far as I can tell the units are restricted to Wayne State students and The Union will provide placement services for people who don't know anyone to room with. All bedrooms will lock individually and there will be security staff at the front desk. All units will be fully furnished and include a flat screen TV, washer and dryer, and dishwasher.

No construction photos right now (maybe more later today) but it does appear that the upper, non-commercial floors are not steel-framed. They are currently working on the second floor.

Overall, I'm pretty disappointed with this project. I was hoping it would be mixed income, or at the very least market rate, but it's looking like these will be high-rent, high-amenity student apartments.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2011, 4:32 PM

Don't worry, the kids will destroy it within 15 years. It's just a place holder.
I saw this happen frequently around the U of Arizona.

Last edited by katlin; Jan 29, 2011 at 11:10 PM.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2011, 6:34 PM

Holy cow, look at all that woodframe in the article's photo. I've never understood it. Despite that code permits woodframe construction in multi-unit dwellings doesn't make it right. It's a cost cutting move. Yet masonry construction will limit the spread of fire and also extends the life of the building as far as durability....especially when we are talking student housing. Ask any landlord in a college town and they'll probably tell you students don't treat their apartments like long term renters (professionals) and obviously not like buyers.

I agree with katlin 100%

Old Posted Feb 13, 2011, 12:40 AM
Detroit, Michigan, U.S.A.

Here are some updated photos of The Union:

Wayne State University chemistry building

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest