HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Some interesting news about Watermark:

The Watermark Tempe on Tempe Town Lake has signed its first retail and restaurant tenants.

Obon Sushi + Bar + Ramen, V’s Barbershop and Dip Nail Bar have finalized leases at the mixed-use development, which is planned to open in September 2019.

The highly anticipated first phase of the Watermark will open in September 2019 including 265,000 square feet of premium Class A office and 44,000 square feet of high-end restaurant and retail space centered around a splash pad, which will connect to the boardwalk and Tempe Town Lake. It will also include 360 luxury apartment units.

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...nks-first.html (behind a paywall)

I've eaten at Obon in Tucson. Pretty good ramen and cocktails. It'll be nice to have them in Tempe.
Barrio Queen was originally supposed to be in there too, but on the developments list they are going into Tempe Marketplace, so I guess they decided on a different location

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 10:24 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by asugrad View Post
Barrio Queen was originally supposed to be in there too, but on the developments list they are going into Tempe Marketplace, so I guess they decided on a different location
Wow. Barrio Queen seems so unlike Tempe Marketplace, which I usually consider the domain of chains. What an interesting development.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Wow. Barrio Queen seems so unlike Tempe Marketplace, which I usually consider the domain of chains. What an interesting development.
They are in Desert Ridge Marketplace, which is pretty much a carbon copy of Tempe Marketplace

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 8:27 PM

Is their a rendering

Of ASU's latest research lab that broke ground today at the southwest corner of University and Rural? Is there a main campus ASU thread that I missed?

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 9:45 PM

Took a hike between classes in and around Mill, maaaaan, this area is buzzing with activity!!

Some quick updates:

Varsity Tavern looks to be nearing completion above the new Rodeo Bar at SE 5th and Mill

Illegal Pete’s underway in former Big Fat Greek space

Board game cafe opening Friday in former Z’Tejas building called Snakes and Lattes. It’s the Canadian company’s first branch outside of Canada

Activity in the former World of Beer/Funky Monk space. Idk what.

Construction underway in the white building at 5th and Maple

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixwillrise View Post
Of ASU's latest research lab that broke ground today at the southwest corner of University and Rural? Is there a main campus ASU thread that I missed?
I don't believe any renderings have surfaced yet. The building is ISTB 7. There was a conceptual rendering by Studio Ma that surfaced last year, and a placeholder rendering from a flyer that was posted a few pages back. Neither of those are the actual design. Architekton was awarded the RFP to design the building in January of this year. Not sure why no renderings have surfaced, but I haven't seen any. And there is no separate ASU thread--discussion has mainly happened here in the Tempe thread.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 5:28 AM

To go off that point, I was looking through an investment OM today and I noticed that these brokers were showcasing some of the new NOVUS corridor site plans and designs. The ITSB-7 building included in the image below, looks like it will have a bridge over the light rail instead of the ITSB-7 having it run through it. To allow for pedestrian access over university from ASU campus to the new corridor.

Not sure if this is the new design, but NOVUS is marketing a bridge from the new sustainability building to the corridor, so they may have collaborated for an updated site/elevation plan.

Also: to my earlier point a few posts ago, the NWC of Rio/Rural is proposed Office/Hotel, in this rendering looks pretty dense/tall for the lakefront.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 6:24 PM

Couple photos of the Grand building 2:

Old Posted Oct 14, 2018, 7:07 PM

The Novus area dual brand Hyatt hotel has finally made it on the development tracker for the City of Tempe. I would guess the Westin hotel project is dead at this point. CAI Investments was trying to raise almost $26m in funding on expected project costs of $78m a few years back. If they got the funding, they surely would have broken ground by now.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2018, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RE View Post
To go off that point, I was looking through an investment OM today and I noticed that these brokers were showcasing some of the new NOVUS corridor site plans and designs. The ITSB-7 building included in the image below, looks like it will have a bridge over the light rail instead of the ITSB-7 having it run through it. To allow for pedestrian access over university from ASU campus to the new corridor.

Not sure if this is the new design, but NOVUS is marketing a bridge from the new sustainability building to the corridor, so they may have collaborated for an updated site/elevation plan.

Also: to my earlier point a few posts ago, the NWC of Rio/Rural is proposed Office/Hotel, in this rendering looks pretty dense/tall for the lakefront.

The site plan for ISTB-7 matches the last working model I saw for the project. They bagged building over the light rail in their recent designs (probably air right issues since the city owns the LR stop).

Old Posted Oct 14, 2018, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandypandybear View Post
The Novus area dual brand Hyatt hotel has finally made it on the development tracker for the City of Tempe. I would guess the Westin hotel project is dead at this point. CAI Investments was trying to raise almost $26m in funding on expected project costs of $78m a few years back. If they got the funding, they surely would have broken ground by now.
Yeah we'll see on the Westin but it doesn't look great. Strange that they had that under reported ground breaking and then... Nothing.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 7:46 PM
self-important urbanista

Paradise Hawaiian BBQ

We've talked before a about a proposed development on the northwest corner of College & 6th Street. Paradise Hawaiian BBQ is the most visible tenant there. The restaurant just posted news on Instagram of a move to Phoenix:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BpEC3jzD165

The address is the spot currently occupied by Yasda Bento. I bicycled over to Adams Street during my lunch break and found that today is Yasda's last day. Maybe they were waiting for someone to assume their lease, and Paradise was looking for a new home.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 8:29 PM

Quote:
We've talked before a about a proposed development on the northwest corner of College & 6th Street. Paradise Hawaiian BBQ is the most visible tenant there. The restaurant just posted news on Instagram of a move to Phoenix:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BpEC3jzD165

The address is the spot currently occupied by Yasda Bento. I bicycled over to Adams Street during my lunch break and found that today is Yasda's last day. Maybe they were waiting for someone to assume their lease, and Paradise was looking for a new home.
interesting. Between this news and the news that one of the partners in the development had bought out the other, maybe this goes somewhere. I had always considered this low on the list of developments that are likely to be built, but I'd love to be wrong.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 3:48 PM

Excavation appears to be underway at the Collective, apartments at 7th St./Myrtle.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Excavation appears to be underway at the Collective, apartments at 7th St./Myrtle.
Nice!!! Now if we can just get that hotel next door and 100 Mill going Tempe will really be firing on all cylinders!

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 11:30 PM

Photos from Around DT Tempe - 10/23/2018

The Collective:

Union Hotel:

Mirabella:

I.D.E.A.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 12:14 AM

These are great photos!! Thanks MuerteCaza. So much development happening along University, hoping to see some new additional proposals soon.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 3:42 AM

Some action at the Westin Site

Noticed that some action is taking place at the ground of the Westin site. By the time I took some pictures it was dark. Here they are. Will take better pictures later in the week.

Last edited by CBar; Oct 24, 2018 at 4:13 AM.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 5:51 PM

I guess that answers our previous question if the project was dead or not. Good to see it back up and running. Seeing both Collective and the Westin go vertical at the same time would be amazing! Anyone have an update if the Omni Hotel/conference center and parking garage is still in the works? Would love to see that get moving. There would be 6 cranes at that intersection alone if it moves over the next year.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RE View Post
I guess that answers our previous question if the project was dead or not. Good to see it back up and running. Seeing both Collective and the Westin go vertical at the same time would be amazing! Anyone have an update if the Omni Hotel/conference center and parking garage is still in the works? Would love to see that get moving. There would be 6 cranes at that intersection alone if it moves over the next year.
RE: Omni, I believe the word at the time it was approved was that they weren't planning to build until Mirabella is completed. I haven't heard anything different, and the current use of the proposed Omni site for Mirabella staging seems to confirm that that's still the case.

The parking garage (assuming we're thinking the same one south of Mirabella) was recently approved by ABOR for ASU's FY 2020 capital improvement plan. I think that means we'll see it starting next year? For anyone looking to delve into this super riveting stuff: https://public.azregents.edu/Shared%...ard%20Book.pdf

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest