HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Apr 5, 2015, 3:30 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

*l* some of the comments are humourous. Yes the countertops suck, but that just means you don't need to worry about them, use them, stain them, scratch them as most owners are expecting to replace them anyways. The other complaints don't really have much merit, at least not in the W43 tower, I've been living here since day one, and managing rental units here as well, have a wait list of people hoping to get in, rents are going for just over $3psf for the smaller units to just under that for the larger units.
Not sure it would be the right fit got you Klazu, as it isn't for everyone, but you should give a unit a good look and make up your own mind. Recommend you bring the wife along during an evening, early morning to get a honest feel for the neighbourhood instead of going by media perception. Happy hunting.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2015, 3:49 AM

I ventured to the area this afternoon to check out the new Prado Cafe, and I have to say how lovely the neighbourhood is. There's a glamour to these parts--the youth, the hustle and bustle, the energy, the lovely buildings.

Also, Prado is such a beautiful room. Love the big windows.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2015, 4:12 AM

Thanks for the comment, jlousa. I was kind of waiting for you to chip in.

I am sure the building and the neighbourhood are fine, and like said, rents in that building have seemed like good value to me. Unfortunately the unit I was aiming at (4006) was rented for 3 months and isn't available before July, so I doubt we will see another similar one on the market before our deadline.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2015, 4:55 AM
Vancouver Moderator

I wish I could afford to move into W43

Old Posted May 8, 2015, 10:47 PM

So where is Klazu temporarily living in?

Old Posted May 8, 2015, 11:09 PM
scared of rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Assuming you took that photo from your new digs... Hotel Blu?

Old Posted May 9, 2015, 1:33 AM

Quote:

I do love the way Woodwards plays off of the Dominion building. In fact, I think the view looking north over Victory Square from Pender St is my favourite urban view in the city.

Old Posted May 9, 2015, 2:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbvan View Post
I do love the way Woodwards plays off of the Dominion building.
It does actually looks like the tiny Dominion Building is "hiding" from the big bad Woodwards tower. Great towers both.

Old Posted May 9, 2015, 10:01 AM

I found my new screensaver thanks Klazu!

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 6:59 AM

Some bad publicity for Westbank over construction on teh Woodwards Building:

Woodward's building concrete crumbling: $1M lawsuit

People walking the streets next to the Woodward’s building in Gastown might want to look up--not to the iconic "W" on the roof, but to watch out for falling concrete.

That’s according to a lawsuit from Woodward’s condo owners that claims the smaller tower, W32, could be a risk to pedestrians as water is rusting rebar and causing concrete to crack.
There is “concrete cracking, creating a weakening of the structure and a falling hazard of concrete breaking off the structure,” the notice of claim says, as well as “concrete spalling (crumbling) due to insufficient concrete depth around rebar enforcement, and corrosion of rebar.”

To fix it would cost $1 million, the suit says, demanding that the developer and over a dozen contractors pay up over what the suit claims are deficiencies in the design and construction of the tower...

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/woodward-s-buil...suit-1.3565913

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Some bad publicity for Westbank over construction on teh Woodwards Building:

Woodward's building concrete crumbling: $1M lawsuit

People walking the streets next to the Woodward’s building in Gastown might want to look up--not to the iconic "W" on the roof, but to watch out for falling concrete.

That’s according to a lawsuit from Woodward’s condo owners that claims the smaller tower, W32, could be a risk to pedestrians as water is rusting rebar and causing concrete to crack.
There is “concrete cracking, creating a weakening of the structure and a falling hazard of concrete breaking off the structure,” the notice of claim says, as well as “concrete spalling (crumbling) due to insufficient concrete depth around rebar enforcement, and corrosion of rebar.”

To fix it would cost $1 million, the suit says, demanding that the developer and over a dozen contractors pay up over what the suit claims are deficiencies in the design and construction of the tower...

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/woodward-s-buil...suit-1.3565913
well people were complaining about the interior finishes being crazy cheap, only makes sense that the structure would be cheap as could be as well.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 11:31 PM

Back on the rental market, we recently went to check out the number one penthouse unit 4110 at the very front of the building. I was pleasantly surprised by how nice the building was and the amenities on the floors 42 and 43 floor are fantastic.

It is unfortunate that the layout of the 1150 sqft unit was poorly utilized and all rooms were tiny for that space. It really didn't work out for us and it was also in pretty poor shape with floors and counter surfaces badly scratched.

The front balcony is not that huge, but has a fantastic view. It is surprisingly loud even on the 41st floor, but one gets to admire an amazing view of most of Downtown.

A lot of film production takes place in Gastown and there was one going on down below.

It was a beautiful day in early May.

It was shame that the unit didn't work for us, as the landlord sounded like a great person. Soon after our visit, the unit was rented by someone else.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 11:38 PM

How much?

Old Posted Jun 3, 2018, 12:07 AM

Are you on the market or why the interest? The asking price was $4,200 but I have no doubt there was plenty of room for negotiation, as it was in such a poor condition (not really visible in pictures).

Old Posted Jun 3, 2018, 12:16 AM

That's a great place. Best of luck knocking down the lease if you like the place.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2018, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Are you on the market or why the interest? The asking price was $4,200 but I have no doubt there was plenty of room for negotiation, as it was in such a poor condition (not really visible in pictures).
Yeah I am potentially looking for a new place, still a bit up in the air right now. But was curious what this was going for

Old Posted Jun 3, 2018, 3:19 AM

Quote:
Back on the rental market, we recently went to check out the number one penthouse unit 4110 at the very front of the building. I was pleasantly surprised by how nice the building was and the amenities on the floors 42 and 43 floor are fantastic.

It is unfortunate that the layout of the 1150 sqft unit was poorly utilized and all rooms were tiny for that space. It really didn't work out for us and it was also in pretty poor shape with floors and counter surfaces badly scratched.

I'm told that the entire building had that flawed countertop because they were never sealed properly. Put a wet glass on that, and you'd have a permanently-scarred ring etched into the surface.

Pretty piss-poor of Westbank to walk away from that problem. For all his fluff, Gillespie is just another developer, no different from the others, no matter what Gregor would have us believe.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2018, 5:26 AM

Yes, I knew someone who moved into a unit when it was brand new and he said anything and everything would scratch the counter top, it got to the point they were afraid to use them it was so bad. Just leaving a glass on it would leave a big stain or drag an item and it would scratch, it sounded pretty crappy.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2018, 3:16 PM

I'm pretty sure you could seal the countertops yourself. Especially if you move in and first notice it! After almost a decade of wear it would be kinda pointless now. I'd replace it. Although I'd first replace the track lighting. Wtf is that about.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2018, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
Yes, I knew someone who moved into a unit when it was brand new and he said anything and everything would scratch the counter top, it got to the point they were afraid to use them it was so bad. Just leaving a glass on it would leave a big stain or drag an item and it would scratch, it sounded pretty crappy.
For something so wildly obvious across the entire building, it screams volumes about Gillespie's character that his company would refuse to address deficiencies like this.

People can go ga-ga about what his projects look like from the outside, but beauty is proven only to be skin deep here.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver