HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted Mar 6, 2019, 9:01 PM

2 more MIRHPP projects dropped out I've heard of today. List is getting smaller.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2019, 9:31 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
2 more MIRHPP projects dropped out I've heard of today. List is getting smaller.
I've been told the city is in desperate need for money from development fees and is refusing to allow developers of sites that would charge high development fees to build rental.

I doubt they will restrict it to rental along Broadway from UBC to Arbutus. Makes sense with decreased construction starts, the real estate market being down, and the shift to rental development that their normal influx of development money is down.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2019, 9:38 PM
retro_orange

Quote:

Why?

Old Posted Mar 6, 2019, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro_orange View Post
Why?
Not economically feasible.

Misher… I don't know where you're getting this information from but I'd both take it with a grain of salt and then ask that person why they'd say that, where they're getting their info from, and how the City has the power to do that.

I also think Mish you're getting your categories of fees mixed up and where they go / what they fund. Not sure why staff now would be "desperate".

Old Posted Mar 6, 2019, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misher View Post
I've been told the city is in desperate need for money from development fees and is refusing to allow developers of sites that would charge high development fees to build rental.

I doubt they will restrict it to rental along Broadway from UBC to Arbutus. Makes sense with decreased construction starts, the real estate market being down, and the shift to rental development that their normal influx of development money is down.
I've only heard about the extension of the interim policy that currently exists along Broadway, not the Rental Only Zoning policy that the provincial government gave municipalities powers over a while back, a power that New West is trying to use and is being sued over bad execution.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2019, 10:35 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Not economically feasible.

Misher… I don't know where you're getting this information from but I'd both take it with a grain of salt and then ask that person why they'd say that, where they're getting their info from, and how the City has the power to do that.

I also think Mish you're getting your categories of fees mixed up and where they go / what they fund. Not sure why staff now would be "desperate".
A partner in a major downtown developer told me this over lunch. Said the city asked for $500/sqft so they tried to do rental and the city said no it won't be approved.
Rest was just speculation.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2019, 10:53 PM

Quote:
A partner in a major downtown developer told me this over lunch. Said the city asked for $500/sqft so they tried to do rental and the city said no it won't be approved.
Rest was just speculation.
That sounds super fishy and missing lots of details. Take it with a grain of salt. Are they trying to get a CAC exemption? I just don't get this from the developer's comment.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2019, 11:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
That sounds super fishy and missing lots of details. Take it with a grain of salt. Are they trying to get a CAC exemption? I just don't get this from the developer's comment.
No, they were planning to develop the site with market condos but the CAC's were too high so they switched to developing it into rental and the city said no. They can't make the project work at the CAC's quoted so right now the site is just sitting.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2019, 11:39 PM

Quote:
No, they were planning to develop the site with market condos but the CAC's were too high so they switched to developing it into rental and the city said no. They can't make the project work at the CAC's quoted so right now the site is just sitting.
From on outside perspective with only the information you're providing... it sounds like your developer friend isn't giving you the full picture.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2019, 11:58 PM
retro_orange

Quote:
From on outside perspective with only the information you're providing... it sounds like your developer friend isn't giving you the full picture.

He has claimed to have several different professions in the past so who knows what if any real info he has. Sowing discord is as simple as taking buzzwords we use on this forum and skewing them.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 12:26 AM

Quote:
A partner in a major downtown developer told me this over lunch...
I hope he sprang for your Pirate Pack.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 12:39 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
I hope he sprang for your Pirate Pack.
This actually hits so close to the truth. I really wish I could give more details.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 5:00 AM

CBC News

Vancouver considers rental-only zoning around proposed SkyTrain line to UBC

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...ning-1.5043331

Old Posted Mar 10, 2019, 9:15 AM

go figure

Video Link

Old Posted Mar 11, 2019, 3:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
go figure

Video Link
There goes the neighborhood. I don't think the neighbors will be thrilled when many people (not in the same family) move next door with a bunch of cars everywhere.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2019, 6:39 AM

It appears that obeying the rules is now a popular tax dodge.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 10:33 PM

Some interesting stats in this article:

Who knew? 2,450 units of ‘affordable’ rentals in works in Vancouver
B.C. government provides list to Courier of 25 projects across city

“In the last 18 months, in addition to the [606 units in the] modular buildings now open, work has started on more than 2,450 new affordable rental homes in Vancouver as part of the Province's investments in affordable housing, some of which include shelter-rate units.”

hat statement didn’t come with any further details about type of housing, where it was located, how much it cost and how many would rent for the $375 shelter rate. So I got in touch with the ministry and I’m now happy to report I have some details.

But keep in mind this disclaimer in the email I received from the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing:

“While the Province follows the general definition of affordability, which is that rent does not exceed 30 per cent of income, different projects come out of different funding streams and are designed to be affordable for people in a range of incomes.”

To get started, I’m going to post below a list of the 25 projects, location, number of units and how much money the province committed to the projects. So I’ll give you a moment or two to view the list and then I’ll get to some detail I received from the ministry...

...The government says 50 per cent of all units will be for households with incomes at or below BC Housing’s HIL rate.

The remainder of the projects on the list are reserved for people living on low-to-moderate incomes, according to my information from the ministry.

I’m posting this information on the first day of the city’s annual homeless count.

Last March, volunteers counted 2,181 people without a home. Since then, the city has opened more than 500 units of temporary modular housing that was paid for by the B.C. government.

In fact, the total number of modular housing units built under the government’s program is 606, but 78 in Marpole were already open during last year’s count.

Anyway, when you add the 606 units to the 2,498 on the list above, Vancouver appears to be on track to put a dent in homelessness. But, as I recall, I used the same simple math when the previous government opened more than 1,500 units of housing at 13 supportive housing sites...

https://www.vancourier.com/opinion/w...ver-1.23661094

Old Posted Apr 15, 2019, 6:17 PM

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/cana...rdability-2019

Quote:
To some, ‘affordable housing’ ends up becoming parental housing.
A 2018 study from GWL Realty Advisors, which drew on data from the 2016 Canadian Census, found that Toronto had 279,000 adults ages 25 to 39 still living with their parents (22% of that age cohort). In Vancouver, that percentage was 18% (92,000 adult children living with their parents), and Calgary reported 10% of adult children ages 25-39 living with parents at the time of the census.
The most important part of the article:
Quote:
It is estimated that over the course of 2015 to 2017, Toronto added an annual average of 14,000 new apartment rental homes that are purpose-built rentals and/or rental condos, however, to meet demand Toronto needs to add or have vacated 25,000 rental homes, each year, according to the report from GWL. Vancouver needs to make 12,000 rental units available per year, but over the past three years the city has only amassed 3,400 new rental homes, annually.
In short: Supply is not meeting the demand. Not even close.
The 2016 Canadian Census found that 53% of new condos built from 2011 to 2016 were being used as rental housing in Toronto, while Vancouver’s add of 3,400 was dispersed between condo rental (2,600) and purpose-built rental (800) per year from 2016 to 2017.
Holy- Vancouver needed 3.14x the number of rental housing over the past 3 years?

No wonder none of the rentals are affordable! 3 people on average are competing for ONE new rental! (btw, this doesn't include potential latent demand from people who would otherwise buy or leave their parents' housing earlier.)

I seriously hope logic and facts will prevail and actually trying to meet rental demand is going to be given much higher priority than rental price hike limits, because if this was any other industry, investors would be in absolute frenzy mode.

Speaking of which:
https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/opin...rdability-2019

Quote:
In communities across BC, local councils make decisions every week that makes it more difficult to buy affordable homes. They impose red tape and regulations that make it harder and more costly to build homes. It is a fact that in many communities, it now takes longer to get a project approved and permitted than it does to build it. This is a stunning indictment of the ability of unchecked local councils to make life more unaffordable for homebuyers.
Take North Vancouver District for example. Newly elected Mayor Mike Little and most of his council have decided the way to bring about affordable housing is by rejecting virtually all new housing applications, including, unbelievably, non-profit affordable housing.
Shortly after their election last November, Council shot down an 80-unit affordable housing project by Catalyst Community Developments Society – a non-profit housing group. The project, two years in the making, involved the District contributing land in the form of a parking lot at the former Delbrook Recreation Centre. In return, Catalyst would build the project and offer the 80 units at approximately 20% below market rents.

Mayor Little led a 5-2 vote on Council to defeat the project, even though the proposal won an award for engaging the community.
Next up was the non-profit Hollyburn Family Services project. Hollyburn spent years putting together a 100-unit affordable housing project on district-owned land at Burr Place. The goal? All units would be offered at below market rates to provide desperately needed housing for low income seniors, families and youth.
North Vancouver District Council voted to kill the project during a closed-door meeting, before plans for it could be shared with the public. Again, it was a 5-2 vote, led by Little. In a bizarre comment following the vote, Little said that he campaigned not on creating affordable housing but on social housing!
With successive provincial governments sitting idly on the sidelines, similar stories play out in too many communities across BC.
Whether it’s a new seniors centre, a townhome complex, high-rise or a new road, as soon as a project is proposed the forces of “no” rally for the status quo and “more consultation.” Traffic, noise, views and quality of life are trotted out at council meeting after council meeting wrapped up in a dystopian narrative that sends local councils running in full retreat.
In the middle of a full-blown housing affordability crisis, one might think city halls would be focused on increasing supply, reducing red tape and making it easier to bring housing stock on the market faster in an effort to reduce the pressure on the prices of homes.
Unfortunately, we see more “Nero fiddling” and buck-passing than city halls acting with the speed, purpose and boldness required to make a real difference in the local housing market. The actions of councils like North Vancouver District demonstrate that for families looking for relief at city hall, the wait will be long indeed.
Mind you, mostly from D. of N. Van, so not 100% relevant, but let's face it, it can be applied to a more limited extent (or in the case of West Van, the opposite ) across the region.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2019, 6:19 PM

Also relevant: http://www.vancouversun.com/business...540/story.html
Quote:
"But the city still faces an overall shortage of rental units, he said. “Everything getting built is almost getting occupied on an immediate basis, so I would say that renters don’t have any additional options today than they did three years ago.”
Shapiro said the Rental 100 program has started to change that, but not nearly enough.
“With the Rental 100 program, the city is trying to provide the incentives through added bonus density to encourage [rental construction], and it has happened, albeit, I would say, in a limited fashion.”
He said the application process through Rental 100 is “bureaucratic,” complicated and should have templates for applications for specific neighbourhoods. “It’s not a streamlined process. They don’t have an absolute formula to advise you.”
I guess the NPA is looking into this, hopefully? (please?)

Old Posted Apr 15, 2019, 6:31 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredinno View Post
https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/cana...rdability-2019

The most important part of the article:

Holy- Vancouver needed 3.14x the number of rental housing over the past 3 years?

No wonder none of the rentals are affordable! 3 people on average are competing for ONE new rental! (btw, this doesn't include potential latent demand from people who would otherwise buy or leave their parents' housing earlier.)

I seriously hope logic and facts will prevail and actually trying to meet rental demand is going to be given much higher priority than rental price hike limits, because if this was any other industry, investors would be in absolute frenzy mode.

Speaking of which:
https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/opin...rdability-2019

Mind you, mostly from D. of N. Van, so not 100% relevant, but let's face it, it can be applied to a more limited extent (or in the case of West Van, the opposite ) across the region.
Nope all we care about is housing prices screw rents. And no one cares that we don’t build enough supply, we just need more demand side measures.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion