HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Jan 29, 2008, 3:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djh View Post
WHA?! Boneta is shutting down?! It's not even been open a year yet, and it's considered a "success story"! Is that just a rumour you heard, or do you have that on authority? Wasn't it you or jjjb saying the other day that it is run by "the Mafia"?

I was planning on going there this week...are you sure on what you're saying?
City of Vancouver Merrick architecture
265 Carrall development application number DE410844
has been submitted for final review, request amendment to heights restriction and re-designed the back entrance of garage from the north side, plan under re-consideration, but most likely it will be accepted.
Bonita has stated that they had signed a one year lease on the site they now occupy, once the lease is over and by all account unless there is a delay in the final design of that building and the adjacent abandon complex, they will close, that being said they are still in operation, so the food is good the price is fine the atmosphere is awesome when its quiet, but very noisy late in the day, so don't get all in heels about its foreseeable future, just have a good time.
As for the Paris block how can you equate the second phase of its project as SRO, fro what I am told they are no SRO to be included in that project , I may be wrong, but no words out its no sro, just high end loft, btw did you know that the price is quite steep for my liking, I live in 670sq loft that cost 1/3 off what they would give me today for 500sq.
confused, help me here, maybe you know more about all the Hasting corridor project, give us the scoop, I read more here about the outcome of Cordova and Hasting then I would at city hall.
Cheer mate

Old Posted Jan 29, 2008, 3:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjb View Post
Well I'm not sure that it's run by the Mafia per se, but have you seen the owners?

Anyways, I read in the paper that it is their first restaurant so they are trying out their formula in a limited time capacity (plus I'm sure the space is virutally free). So expect them to come back bigger, more overpriced, and more tan than ever!
scary OMG, what is this truly be very very afraid OMG
forgive me for asking but are they tan from being burned at the Tanning salon one minute spray and what's with that dude in the white Vshirt, Arnold IM BACK

Last edited by Jacques; Jan 29, 2008 at 3:11 AM. Reason: adding question

Old Posted Jan 29, 2008, 3:12 AM

Yes, some variant of the DTES has always existed, but it was nothing like it is today. I spent a very interesting afternoon recently in the Empress hotel bar speaking to some of the old timers dislocated by dying seasonal industries - the guys who are always brought up in these debates, justly, as deserving folks who could use help with social housing, etc. To my surprise, they hated living among the drug addicts even more than I do, had absolutely no sympathy for them, and no interest in preserving the neighbourhood. Those who could move away have already done so - they only return to visit their favorite watering holes.

Anyhow, my point remains that people are confusing poverty with drug addiction. The only problem here is the drug addicts. Social housing for old loggers doesn't bother anybody and is not the cause of the decline of the neighbourhood. Social housing is a perhaps viable as a solution to poverty, but, I repeat, the problem here is not poverty - it is addiction.

And for an addict, the neighbourhood itself IS THE PROBLEM. There is no hope of getting clean while living in the nations crack den. Zero. Therefore, as contrary to logic as it might seem, the best solution to the drug problem is to drastically change the neighbourhood, and soon. If people are forced out of third world ghetto housing and have to go live somewhere else - anywhere else - even on the streets in another neighbourhood, they will be better off than they are today, because the DTES itself reinforces and perpetuates their drug problems. The solution to poverty might well be social housing and sensitive development, but the only thing that will even make a dent in the drug problem is to destroy the DTES ASAP. Even treatment facilities are useless as long as people continue to live in a shooting gallery. You have to shut the place down - the NEIGHBOURHOOD IS THE PROBLEM - any other solution is doomed to failure (because those other solutions are treating poverty, not addiction, and only serve to enable the addicts).

Old Posted Jan 29, 2008, 3:12 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques View Post
As for the Paris block how can you equate the second phase of its project as SRO, fro what I am told they are no SRO to be included in that project , I may be wrong, but no words out its no sro, just high end loft, btw did you know that the price is quite steep for my liking, I live in 670sq loft that cost 1/3 off what they would give me today for 500sq.
confused, help me here, maybe you know more about all the Hasting corridor project, give us the scoop, I read more here about the outcome of Cordova and Hasting then I would at city hall.
Cheer mate
Someone who has access to those things (although I could just walk over there and look at the building) should run a check on 53 W Hastings. I got the info that it was entering phase 2 from David Eby's blog (and I know he tends to overreact and spin things, but the fact is the permit application has been filed):

Quote:
The Paris Block, a market housing development in the zero block of Hastings Street East, currently has a Development Permit application before the City of Vancouver to expand to the site next door at 53 East Hastings Street.

The application, DE411639, proposes that the current Paris Block development be expanded to include another 6 storey addition to the Paris Block consisting of retail at grade, mezzanine, 16 live/work units on levels 2 to 6, an at grade parking garage off the lane and common and private roof decks.

The Paris Block, despite being located in Vancouver's traditionally lowest income neighbourhood, has never included any social housing or community amenities in its plans. The City of Vancouver ostensibly has a 20% affordable housing minimum; however, they may not require that minimum in this development.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2008, 3:35 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Not sure who those guys are but they are not the owners of Bonita, neither is the Mafia, it's owned by a couple of guys that have worked in the local industry for years, they have been getting flack for leaching alot of staff from some of the staples in Vancouver cuisine . The story with Bonita was the building was scheduled to be renovated and they were only granted a 1year lease. The owners of Bonita decided to go ahead anyways, turns out they've been alot more successful then they expected. Anyways there appears to have been a change of plans and their lease will be renewed, so as for now they will not be moving as originally planned. It's a great place, I raved about it the first time I went there in one of my older posts. Menu changes weekly so check the menu before you head over to make sure it's what you're feeling like.

Here's a quick bio on the place.

The long anticipated first restaurant by the Bonobo Entertainment Group�s Neil Ingram (ex Lumiere, currently La Buca), Andre McGillivray (ex Chambar, Lumiere, Le Croc, currently Chill Winston), and Mark Brand (ex Chambar). The location is a beauty - 1 West Cordova Street - in the old One Restaurant & Lounge space. The name, Boneta, is Mark Brand�s mother�s name (cue the �awww�). The chef will be Jeremie Bastien, formerly the sous chef at Lumiere.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2008, 3:42 AM
+

Quote:
Well I'm not sure that it's run by the Mafia per se, but have you seen the owners?

Anyways, I read in the paper that it is their first restaurant so they are trying out their formula in a limited time capacity (plus I'm sure the space is virutally free). So expect them to come back bigger, more overpriced, and more tan than ever!
Britney Spears back-up dancers?

Old Posted Jan 29, 2008, 3:44 AM
Closed account

OF COURSE those aren't the owners of BONETA-with-an-E, and of course they aren't with the Mafia, but they are a great example of just the same old story: It's named after my mom (aaaaaaawwww) and we don't mind stealing staff from every body else to make our mark, and we'll make you feel rich by having some hired valet company park your car for you. How genuine.

Nothing new or interesting.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2008, 3:51 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Why the need to try and defame them then? If you don't like the place that's fine but I don't see the point of false rumours. Also Paris Block phase 1+2 were not SRO's and will not be SROs. Most of the people on this board are fans of the Salient group as they have done some remarkable work.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2008, 3:56 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
Why the need to try and defame them then? If you don't like the place that's fine but I don't see the point of false rumours. Also Paris Block phase 1+2 were not SRO's and will not be SROs. Most of the people on this board are fans of the Salient group as they have done some remarkable work.
Okay, it was a JOKE. As if anybody thought that was serious...

I don't not like the place, I don't care much for it. I think it's just a harbinger of just more of the same bland pap from like the same three restaurant-owner circle-jerk that's just gonna take over your mind and your wallet.

Thanks for confirming about Paris Phase 2, but where do you get that "MOST" of the people on this board are fans of Salient? Why do you even want to live in this neighbourhood if it's got more problems than you can handle? They build pretty condos in clean neighbourhoods.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2008, 4:06 AM

I think when people talk too much they inevitably put their foot in their mouth. The last few posts you made have just drained your credibility with me. Sorry dude.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2008, 4:08 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by djh View Post
I think when people talk too much they inevitably put their foot in their mouth. The last few posts you made have just drained your credibility with me. Sorry dude.
I'm sorry some restaurant was my downfall, but I guess I'll step back.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2008, 4:10 AM

Quote:
http://www.parisblock.com/floorplans.html

I have already received plans from city hall., the blood alley it too be converted into bistro on the first floor and cafes and resto boutique if all goes to their plans.
but once the WW is completed the Concord Pacific intends to go full steam with their ventures
That would be fantastic. You'd need to get rid of the crackheads that currently live there and who have turned Cordova St. into a shanty town.

I'm a big fan of Salient. Check the Salient site. They have a lot of plans for this area. I wish more developers like them were investing in the neighbourhood.

> The Paris Block, a market housing development in the zero block
> of Hastings Street East, currently has a Development Permit application
> before the City of Vancouver to expand to the site next door at
> 53 East Hastings Street.
That's good news.

Skook, agree 100% with your post.

What's the big problem with SRO conversions? The only problem I see is that there haven't actually been any (wel maybe one or two). I'd like to see a LOT more. The current residents can move to the newer, improved social housing that will be coming online in the next few years.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2008, 4:26 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftside View Post
That would be fantastic. You'd need to get rid of the crackheads that currently live there and who have turned Cordova St. into a shanty town.

I'm a big fan of Salient. Check the Salient site. They have a lot of plans for this area. I wish more developers like them were investing in the neighbourhood.
They do make a higher quality product than say Concord, and they do seem to have more of a feel for the neighbourhood with the smaller footprint and all, but I think I was misunderstood as someone who says "crackheads forever" and "development bad" when I was just saying that for some reason it looks like mostly, development and new retail takes the high-end luxury route instead of coming up with more variety: like a scheme that encompasses housing and retail that appeals to the people who are living here now and later. It doesn't even have to be social housing: if a developer commits to building moderately-priced rental housing for people who make something like 40,000 a year, the can get a rezoning that can bring them greater density and in turn more profit. It doesn't make any more economic sense to price everyone but the very rich out of the area.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2008, 4:29 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Good god!

Did you get those pictures from the 'Stop pretty boys' facebook group? A friend sent me an invite and I spent the better part of an hour dying with laughter. How can anyone actually think spray-on tans are cool?

Old Posted Jan 29, 2008, 4:31 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
^Good god!

Did you get those pictures from the 'Stop pretty boys' facebook group? A friend sent me an invite and I spent the better part of an hour dying with laughter. How can anyone actually think spray-on tans are cool?
No, it was actually some internet meme that's been going around these past few days. It does illustrate the total ditch that the Meatpacking district has become in the last few years. Hopefully Gastown doesn't meet the same fate.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2008, 5:03 AM

Quote:
The Paris Block, a market housing development in the zero block of Hastings Street East, currently has a Development Permit application before the City of Vancouver to expand to the site next door at 53 East Hastings Street.

The application, DE411639, proposes that the current Paris Block development be expanded to include another 6 storey addition to the Paris Block consisting of retail at grade, mezzanine, 16 live/work units on levels 2 to 6, an at grade parking garage off the lane and common and private roof decks.

The Paris Block, despite being located in Vancouver's traditionally lowest income neighbourhood, has never included any social housing or community amenities in its plans. The City of Vancouver ostensibly has a 20% affordable housing minimum; however, they may not require that minimum in this development.

exactly my point, once its built see if there is any SRO, there?
SRO does mean: single room occupancy n'est ce pas!

Old Posted Jan 29, 2008, 5:09 AM
Capitalist

Quote:

LOL ... who let the freaks out?

I'm not sure what they think they look like ... but it sure isn't what I have in mind. Please give up the orange spray guys ... you look like Ernie look a likes.

When you say they own this place (which I have never seen in my life) ... do you mean "own" as in bussing tables... or parking cars?

Sorry .. but those are among the funniest pictures I've seen in a while.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2008, 5:10 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Quote:

That 20% policy is too recent for that permit application to be subject to it.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2008, 5:11 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
LOL ... who let the freaks out?

I'm not sure what they think they look like ... but it sure isn't what I have in mind. Please give up the orange spray guys ... you look like Ernie look a likes.

When you say they own this place (which I have never seen in my life) ... do you mean "own" as in bussing tables... or parking parks?

Sorry .. but those are among the funniest pictures I've seen in a while.
Read up - that was just me playing a prank.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2008, 5:28 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Read up - that was just me playing a prank.
I know... but man I couldn't resist laughing at those pics. Where did you dig up those gems?

Anyways thats for the laugh.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues