HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Oct 14, 2010, 5:20 PM

Lots of new, long haul international service out of LAX has recently been announced. Much but not all of it will be going thru Bradley, so it's very important that this project remains on schedule.

Here is a sample of the new flights-

Alitalia- 5x weekly to Rome (777)
Emirates- 2nd daily to Dubai (777)
Delta- daily to Tokyo Haneda (747)
Iberia- 4x weekly to Madrid (340)
ANA- daily to Tokyo Haneda (777)
Turkish- 4x weekly to Istanbul (777)
American- daily to Shanghai (777)
United- daily to Shanghai (777)

Additionally, Virgin America is adding Toronto and Cancun, Copa is adding Panama, and Cathay has added back a 3rd daily flight to HKG.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2010, 4:46 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

It's a shame the Midfield Satellite Concourse isn't being built concurrently with Bradley West, which will only provide a net gain of 3 gates. This means we will still have to use the remote bus gates and continue serving international visitors in Terminal 2, the shittiest terminal by far.

Also Steve, can you explain why so many airlines no longer fly 747s to LAX (mostly 777s now)?

And I read that American is now officially calling LAX a hub, though they've had a major presence for quite some time now. I really don't know why they have yet to expand international service at LAX, considering United prefers SFO for international flights. No American airline offers nonstop service to a European city other than London. What about Paris? Frankfurt? Why hasn't American taken advantage of this unique opportunity?

— Jerome Bruner

Last edited by Quixote; Oct 16, 2010 at 5:09 AM.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 3:14 PM

I completely agree with you regarding the midfield concourse, but this is LAX so lets be glad that they are at least starting to get their act together.

RE: American Airlines. I think they are somewhat constrained on expansion due to competition and code shares with alliance partners. Routes to places like Paris (Air France has 3 flights) Frankfurt (Lufthansa has at least 2) Hong Kong (Cathay is a partner) etc are well served already. Also, for whatever reason, the foreign carriers seems to be much more entrenched here compared to other airports like SFO and ORD. I think our very large immigrant population prefer the foreign carriers over domestic ones.

As far as airlines not flying as many 747's as before- I believe it's a combination of factors. The short answer being high oil prices and the slow economy, since 2 engines are more fuel efficient than 4. The longer answer is a bit more speculative- some airlines are opting for fewer seats per flight but more frequencies. Others are able to run very long routes over the ocean with 2 engines now whereas in the past they required 4 (due to ETOPS requirements, LAX-SYD for example Virgin and Delta are running 777's now). Lastly, I actually think LAX has held up fairly well on the number of jumbos compared to other U.S. cities. (Chicago and Atlanta have far fewer jumbos but more traffic overall because of their domestic hub status.) We will have the highest number of A380 flights shortly once Korean air starts service and the recent additions are very promising.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 4:44 PM

Westsidelife

Quote:
Also Steve, can you explain why so many airlines no longer fly 747s to LAX (mostly 777s now)?
Higher fuel prices is certainly one reason. The 777s hold fewer passengers, so the carriers that operate these can offer greater frequencies of service and it is schedule frequency that business travels will pay a premium for. A 777 can be profitable flying something like 200-250 passengers, while this would be about 60 percent load-factor for a 747-400. Another advantage of the 777, in addition to being cheaper to operate, is that this aircraft has a much greater range than a 747. A 777 can fly 8,000-9,000 nautical miles, making extremely long nonstop routes such as Newark - Delhi possible. There are many routes that simply wouldn't be possible to fly with a 747.

I attended a presentation earlier this year by a Boeing marketing executive and he predicted that he doesn't think another US carrier will purchase a new 747.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 11:09 PM

Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 11:50 PM
Sonoma Strong

^where is that, germany? and whats with the ugly paint job?

Pictures of Santa Rosa, So. Co.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2010, 12:17 AM
Show me the blueprints

I'm thinking maybe that was a A380 test flight from a few years ago? I think it's somewhere in France, Air France is on the hanger in the background. I just want to know why that plane is sporting Pepsi logos

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Nov 13, 2010, 7:59 AM

It's a recent picture (November 12, 2010) taken in Toulouse, France of a Korean Air A380 that is yet to be completed, hence the unpainted fuselage. It's close to certain that Korean Air will be flying their A380s to LAX.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2010, 5:34 PM
Sonoma Strong

cool. thanks for clarifying folks.
with the cars there it looks massive!

Pictures of Santa Rosa, So. Co.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2010, 5:50 AM

Lame, lame, lame. You'd think the architects would account for this...

From the Los Angeles Times:

Remodeled Bradley terminal would create blind spots, officials acknowledge
Air traffic controllers say it would be unsafe. LAX officials say modern technology will solve the problem.

By Dan Weikel, Los Angeles Times
November 13, 2010

A multistory centerpiece of the modernization plan for Los Angeles International Airport would block the direct view of air traffic controllers for a busy portion of the complex, including gates, aircraft ramps and taxiways, officials acknowledge.

According to the Federal Aviation Administration and air traffic controllers, the blind spots would be created by the $1.5-billion remodeling of the Tom Bradley International Terminal. The project would dominate the west end of the terminal area and have a roof line ranging from five to nine stories high.

"Basically, they will create a giant billboard in the middle of the seventh-busiest airport in the world," said Mike Foote, an air traffic controller at LAX and chapter president of the National Air Traffic Controllers Assn. "The backside of the terminal will have a bunch of new gates. We won't be able to see any of them. It is the same for the ramps and taxiways."

For almost two years, officials with the FAA and Los Angeles World Airports, which operates LAX, have been assessing the visibility problems and developing possible solutions.

Airport officials say the planned installation of radar, laser-guided aircraft docking technology and closed-circuit television cameras should make it possible for controllers to track and guide planes safely through areas they can't see directly.

They added that a new taxiway that is visible from the control tower would be built well beyond the Bradley terminal and that small ramp towers staffed with controllers also could be constructed to monitor aircraft coming into and out of the eight gates planned for the terminal's west side.

"We will be relying on the next generation of technology," said Gina Marie Lindsey, executive director of Los Angeles World Airports. "It will give pilots and air traffic controllers more information and enhance the capabilities of everyone involved. It's better to rely on a plethora of tools. We are not taking out the human eye."

The controller's association has suggested building a second control tower as a way to maintain good visibility west of the Bradley, an approach Lindsey called "yesterday's technology" and more suited to the association's interests of having a new facility that would need more controllers.

Read the rest by clicking here.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Nov 14, 2010, 3:27 PM
Show me the blueprints

So build a taller control tower.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Nov 14, 2010, 4:55 PM

That was actually mentioned in the article and I thought of that too. But in all the recent articles I've read about the reconstruction of the Bradley Terminal, nothing was ever mentioned before about possibly needing a taller control tower.

As a sidebar, the current control tower at LAX opened in 1996, 13 years AFTER the revamping of LAX in time for the 1984 Olympics. The previous control tower (which still exists and which I assume is unused) was considered too short after the newer terminals/parking structures were built and the roadway double-decked, yet it still was used until the newer tower opened.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Dec 3, 2010, 6:33 PM

Another A380 on it's way to LAX-

http://www.businesstraveller.com/new...c-a380-service

Fans of SIA will be able to sample the A380 between Singapore and Los Angeles via Tokyo next year.

Starting on March 27, SIA will upgrade its existing flight on the route from a B747-400 to the newer and larger A380 superjumbo.

The A380 will operate flights SQ11 and SQ12 which are among the most lucrative services on the SIA network.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2010, 8:09 PM
International

Having flown through LAX four times in the past month, I can only hope something will be done soon! What a sad joke the airport is in its current state.

Last edited by Kingofthehill; Dec 4, 2010 at 2:30 AM.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2010, 4:45 PM

Old Posted Dec 13, 2010, 8:41 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Further along than I thought. The construction workers really provide you with a sense of scale.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Dec 14, 2010, 1:29 AM

is this the new terminal construction? the main project with the wavy roof and all the renderings? i didnt know it already started! thats awesome

Old Posted Dec 14, 2010, 1:31 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

^ How could you possibly not have known? You were the first one to post the news in this thread.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Dec 14, 2010, 4:12 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Check the webcam now. It's so clear out that you can see the Downtown skyline looming in the distance.

EDIT: Okay, so it's actually from 2 days ago, but still beautiful nonetheless.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Dec 14, 2010, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsidelife View Post
^ How could you possibly not have known? You were the first one to post the news in this thread.
short term memory loss! lol

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation