HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 17, 2013, 1:05 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

a few local brews to begin the night

Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Last edited by Sawtooth; Mar 17, 2013 at 4:31 PM. Reason: :)

Old Posted Mar 18, 2013, 7:55 PM

I don't think we need to rely on a ranking list from National Geograhpic to know the obvious...that Sandpoint and Driggs are among the best emerging ski towns. They are certainly among the most beautifully situated and far enough away from large population centers so that they are not tacky and over commercialized.

http://adventure.nationalgeographic....07_600x450.jpg

http://adventure.nationalgeographic....08_600x450.jpg

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 2:36 PM

It is ironic that the President sent his daughters to Sun Valley for spring skiing....conveniently before the Feds close the air traffic control tower at Friedman Airport in Hailey lol. John Kerry lives part time in Sun Valley, so maybe he can assist in keeping the control tower open

http://www.ktvb.com/news/First-daugh...200966301.html
First daughters spotted in Sun Valley without mom and dad

KTVB.COM
Posted on April 1, 2013 at 6:25 PM

SUN VALLEY , Idaho -- Sun Valley was buzzing this weekend over a rare appearance by members of America's first family.

11-year-old Sasha and her 14-year-old sister Malea Obama made a quick spring break to Sun Valley along with friends with Idaho ties.

Central Idaho airport officials opt to sue FAA

HAILEY, Idaho — Central Idaho officials say they'll seek an injunction to prevent the federal government from shutting down the air traffic control tower at the airport though which tourists pass on their way to the resort areas of Ketchum and Sun Valley.

Read more here: http://www.idahostatesman.com/2013/0...#storylink=cpy

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawtooth View Post
a few local brews to begin the night

Those look really good Sawtooth! I've tried the Dagger Falls and liked it. But haven't tried the Payette, or Powerhouse Porter. So far my all time favorite is still from Deschutes Brewery Based in Bend, Oregon. The Black Butte Porter.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2013, 3:13 PM

The entire article is at the link:

http://www.strollingoftheheifers.com...re-index-2013/

Stroll’s 2013 Locavore Index ranks states in terms of commitment to local foods

BRATTLEBORO, VT — How does your state stack up against all the others when it comes to availability and consumption of locally-produced foods? Strolling of the Heifers has the answer.

The Vermont-based local food advocacy group has released its second annual Strolling of the Heifers Locavore Index, ranking the 50 states and the District of Columbia in terms of their commitment to local foods.

1. Vermont
2. Maine
3. New Hampshire
4. North Dakota
5. Iowa
6. Montana
7. Oregon
8. Wyoming
9. Wisconsin
10. Idaho

Old Posted Apr 13, 2013, 12:37 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Near Boise in the BNF ~ a few weeks ago.

Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 7:34 PM

Good to see there is still snow up in the mountains. Do you think this is going to be a good morel mushroom season in the forests?

Old Posted May 3, 2013, 2:12 AM

Boise Airport:

PLEASE put together your life savings into this, or convince some multi-millionaire to build these two towers that you have designed downtown. Wonderful website/designs by the way.

Old Posted May 3, 2013, 5:23 AM

Are those bleachers overlooking that soccer field on the roof? What is this stuff?

Old Posted May 3, 2013, 6:43 PM
Dare Mighty Things

LOLOLOL! I almost forgot about that stadium concept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt3006 View Post
Are those bleachers overlooking that soccer field on the roof? What is this stuff?
That's from my design portfolio which I have linked to in my SSP signature. A few years back there was a 3D modeling competition here on SSP to design a stadium and that is my concept stadium I created for New York City... a stadium on top of skyscraper rooftops!!

I always thought it would be awesome to watch a game like that at 600 feet above ground, but unfortunately such a stadium isn't even remotely economically feasible. It wasn't really a serious exercise, just a goofy concept...

Old Posted May 20, 2013, 3:10 PM

http://www.boiseweekly.com/CityDesk/...s-in-pocatello

Journal: Mormon Church Arranged Lobbyist to Push Against LGBT Protections in Pocatello
Posted by George Prentice on Sat, May 18, 2013 at 3:00 PM

The Idaho State Journal reports that the Mormon church arranged for a carefully-timed lobbying effort with Pocatello City Council members a few weeks prior to the lawmakers rejecting an ordinance that would have protected members of the LGBT community from discrimination.

Old Posted May 20, 2013, 10:49 PM

If you don't have plans this weekend check this out. Forget McCall and Payette Lake, Chesterfield is where it is at

http://blogs.idahostatesman.com/memo...-chesterfield/

Memorial Weekend wonder: Head to Idaho’s LDS ghost town, Chesterfield

Read more here: http://blogs.idahostatesman.com/memo...#storylink=cpy

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 2:28 PM

Is it time for another wolf hunt??? After all these wolves are Canadian and not native to the mountains of Idaho.

http://www.mtexpress.com/index2.php?ID=2005147366

Rancher: Wolves killed 31 sheep

Agency issues kill order for predators near Carey

By KATHERINE WUTZ
Express Staff Writer

The owner of the Flat Top Ranch near Carey said Wednesday that he recently lost more than two dozen sheep to wolves over a two-day period.

John Peavey said numerous lambs and ewes were killed by wolves on Friday, May 10, and Sunday, May 12.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2013, 8:09 PM

This has been an interesting development to follow and I side with the Nez Perce Tribe regarding this issue. The Tar Sands Project in Alberta is to blame for this. The entire article is at the link.

http://www.boiseweekly.com/boise/tri...nt?oid=2918738

Nez Perce Tribe: The 'Audacity' of Mega-Loads
'I'm appalled at Omega Morgan's lack of respect for the Nez Perce people, for a nationally treasured river corridor'

by George Prentice

UPDATE: Aug. 8, 2013

More than 100 protesters, including members of the Nez Perce Tribe, were out in the pre-dawn hours near Orofino today to greet a massive oil equipment rig inching across U.S. Highway 12 in north central Idaho. Witnesses said the protesters did their best to hold their ground until the Idaho State Police approached on foot, shouting, "Get off the road."

Old Posted Aug 8, 2013, 9:09 PM
Dare Mighty Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonwood View Post
This has been an interesting development to follow and I side with the Nez Perce Tribe regarding this issue. The Tar Sands Project in Alberta is to blame for this. The entire article is at the link.

http://www.boiseweekly.com/boise/tri...nt?oid=2918738

Nez Perce Tribe: The 'Audacity' of Mega-Loads
'I'm appalled at Omega Morgan's lack of respect for the Nez Perce people, for a nationally treasured river corridor'

by George Prentice

UPDATE: Aug. 8, 2013

More than 100 protesters, including members of the Nez Perce Tribe, were out in the pre-dawn hours near Orofino today to greet a massive oil equipment rig inching across U.S. Highway 12 in north central Idaho. Witnesses said the protesters did their best to hold their ground until the Idaho State Police approached on foot, shouting, "Get off the road."
Someone help me: I keep hearing about the controversy of megaload shipping projects, but where does the controversy lie? I'm trying to understand more about the situation but everything I've read just seems vague and unclear. What is it about megaloads that are particularly damaging?

Old Posted Aug 8, 2013, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseAirport View Post
Someone help me: I keep hearing about the controversy of megaload shipping projects, but where does the controversy lie? I'm trying to understand more about the situation but everything I've read just seems vague and unclear. What is it about megaloads that are particularly damaging?

The oversized loads are travelling through the Nez Perce Tribes homeland and along the Lochsa River which is an area sacred to them. I believe the main concern is if one of these huge trucks were to crash, they would end up in the river and the Lochsa is one of the most beautiful rivers anywhere. Here is a quote from the article at Boise Weekly I linked to in my previous post:

Quote:

"This is a sad day for Idaho," said Idaho Rivers United Executive Director Bill Sedivy. "The Nez Perce Tribe has done an excellent job protesting this load's shipment across the reservation, and now the load has entered public land and the Wild and Scenic River Corridor. This is a clear violation of the U.S. Forest Service's order denying shipment across public land. We are consulting with our attorneys ... and plan to proceed to protect the tribe's homeland and our Wild and Scenic Rivers."

Here is a bit more info from an older article about this topic at BW:

http://www.boiseweekly.com/boise/tak...nt?oid=1673712

Quote:

Why the irony? Because for any of this to happen, huge loads for the Kearl project would need to travel across U.S. Highway 12. By all accounts, U.S. 12 is one of the most picturesque drives on the continent; it's an east-west highway that connects the Pacific Ocean to downtown Detroit. In Idaho, it begins at the stateline in Lewiston, runs along the Clearwater River to Orofino, winds past the Lochsa River in remote sections of the Clearwater National Forest and then up to Lolo Pass as it approaches Montana. It's designated as part of the Lewis and Clark National Historic Trail.

Passions run high along U.S. 12. Generations of central Idahoans have camped and fished there. More than 150 Idaho businesses line the highway, most of them mom-and-pop operations. So their dander got up when rumors started to circulate nearly two years ago that more than 200 loads of giant equipment could convoy through their playground. But it was only last week when they got their first opportunity to give any feedback, or so they thought.

Here is a youtube that shows how large these loads are and compares one to a logging truck.

Video Link

Old Posted Aug 12, 2013, 8:59 PM

NYT travel section article about the Sawtooths and Stanley

The New York Times travel section has an excellent article and slide-show about the Sawtooths and Stanley. This is such an incredibly scenic area.

Your Own Private Idaho
http://travel.nytimes.com/2013/08/11...anted=all&_r=0

Old Posted Aug 16, 2013, 6:33 PM

Idaho fires

Here is a link to some excellent photos of the Beaver Creek fire, right outside of Sun Valley and Ketchum. Both towns are being prepared to evacuate now. I hope the best for the residents in Blaine County.

http://mattlphoto.smugmug.com/Fine-A...8318&k=gCHNxkw

Old Posted Aug 16, 2013, 6:35 PM

Pre-evacuation ordered for Ketchum, highway corridor

Pre-evacuation ordered for Ketchum, highway corridor
Evacuation ordered for East Fork Road residents

By GREGORY FOLEY
Mountain Express
August 16, 2013

"With the Beaver Creek Fire continuing to spread west of the Wood River Valley, the Blaine County Sheriff's Office has ordered a mandatory evacuation order for residents of the East Fork drainage on the east side of the Wood River Valley.

Just after 11 a.m., the Sheriff's Office issued a pre-evacuation notice for the following areas: Indian Creek to North Fork on both sides of state Highway 75, including Warm Springs and the city of Ketchum. People in pre-evacuation areas are advised to begin preparations so they can leave the area immediately if conditions deteriorate. "If you are in danger, do not wait for an evacuation order," the sheriff stated.

An alert sent out by Blaine County tells East Fork residents of the area to leave their homes immediately. The sheriff has also issued a mandatory evacuation order for Baker Creek on the west side of Highway 75 south to North Fork, including Easley. It does not include Galena Lodge at this time. People are advised to evacuate to the south. People who do not nave transportation or are physically disabled are advised to call (208) 578-3831..."

http://www.mtexpress.com/vu_breaking....php?bid=99188

Old Posted Aug 16, 2013, 7:07 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

I was just up there a few days ago. It's upsetting to see one of the most beautiful places in America on fire.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West