HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 25, 2009, 6:59 PM

Zen will know for sure, but it'll make it look 1400+ feet I imagine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
NYguy, any idea where within the WFC the underground concourse connecter will be? My guess is somewhere in the back of the Winter Garden behind the marble steps, but I haven’t found any indication anywhere in that vicinity.
Isn't there just a blank wall facing east on the first floor under the stairs/platform of the Winter Garden? I could see them putting in a few escalator banks there.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2009, 7:04 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
NYguy, any idea where within the WFC the underground concourse connecter will be? My guess is somewhere in the back of the Winter Garden behind the marble steps, but I haven’t found any indication anywhere in that vicinity.
It's supposed to be on West St, just to the north of the Wintergarden (on the outside).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zensteeldude View Post
There is a ring track just above the parapet that can be seen in the rendering of the top of the tower. There well be three units riding on it with horizontal telescoping arms.
That makes sense.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2009, 7:19 PM

It looks like the crane is finished. (?) It is testing now.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2009, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_cd View Post
Zen will know for sure, but it'll make it look 1400+ feet I imagine.

Isn't there just a blank wall facing east on the first floor under the stairs/platform of the Winter Garden? I could see them putting in a few escalator banks there.
That blank wall houses mens/womens restrooms. I could see them modifying the stairs that used to lead up to the north bridge though. Instead, they could lead down to the east-west connector.

I think the 18000 has two more pieces to go, but they just finished this bracket.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2009, 8:16 PM
DENNAB

so that's the final design for the top eh? Not the ring, good I think it looks better, and makes the roof about ,,or at least look 1400 feet.

Apparently the offices which where supposed t rise to the 88th floor, r just shy of 1150 feet, will now rise to the 90th or so because they will probably no longer house communications equipment there?

I could be wrong though

Old Posted Sep 25, 2009, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BStyles View Post
That blank wall houses mens/womens restrooms. I could see them modifying the stairs that used to lead up to the north bridge though. Instead, they could lead down to the east-west connector.

I think the 18000 has two more pieces to go, but they just finished this bracket.
Ah yes now I remember. When I was there I walked around trying to find out what the big blank wall was and then I saw the restrooms. Must be some restrooms. I'm not sure how I feel about the entrance being outside of the Winter Garden. I assume they will be building an enclosed connection?

This crane is insane. I hope it's still there next summer for my next visit.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2009, 9:12 PM
Resident Jackass

It looks like they made good progress on the third floor deck today.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2009, 10:39 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsdl76 View Post

Quick question.... does anyone know how tall the structure on top of the roof will be?? Not the spire... but the structure at its base. I'm curious because if that structure has the same perimeter as the top of the building, it'll actually make the building appear taller than 1368 ft.

If someone could let me know when they get the chance..

Thanks....[/B]
The top platform of the communications ring is going to be 1,401' 5" above the lobby floor.

I also found some info on why several official sites state the floor count as 109. The roof is 105, but then they keep numbering. The cooling tower catwalks are 106, then the 3 communications rings 107, 108, 109.

Last edited by Zensteeldude; Sep 25, 2009 at 11:13 PM.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2009, 11:13 PM
DENNAB

So it'll be like the roof is at 1400 pretty much then, sweet deal.

This may sound like a silly question but what exactly is a broadcast floor, is there just equipment there or do people work there too?

Does anyone know why they might no longer use 89 and 90 as broadcasting floors?

If anyone knows I'm curious..

Old Posted Sep 25, 2009, 11:24 PM
Honored Member

The 89th and 90th floors were intended to house TV broadcast equipment and a small staff of techs.

http://broadcastengineering.com/news...g_new_york_tv/

http://www.observer.com/2009/real-es...-freedom-tower

PS: I didn't like the pics I took of the window washing rigging (poor lighting) I'll take new ones in the morning.

Last edited by Zensteeldude; Sep 25, 2009 at 11:43 PM.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2009, 12:19 AM
Astorian

Pics from today.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2009, 12:22 AM

So what are the differences between Twin Towers core and this one? What are they doing to it to make it much better and to survive a terrorist attack?

Old Posted Sep 26, 2009, 12:35 AM
Honored Member

Three feet of re-enforced concrete. Six feet at the lobby.

PS: the Twins had two sheets of 5/8th dry wall .

Last edited by Zensteeldude; Sep 26, 2009 at 12:50 AM.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2009, 1:05 AM

Wow, I'm surprised they even passed that as safe.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2009, 1:14 AM
Honored Member

I assume you mean the drywall, it met fire codes of the time.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2009, 1:27 AM

That's the thing about the Twins. Most people assume that the dust cloud was pulverized concrete when in reality it was all gypsum wall board and a tiny amount of concrete from the floor slabs. The way the PA took advantage of that new fire code in the 60s was absurd.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2009, 12:44 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zensteeldude View Post
The top platform of the communications ring is going to be 1,401' 5" above the lobby floor.

I also found some info on why several official sites state the floor count as 109. The roof is 105, but then they keep numbering. The cooling tower catwalks are 106, then the 3 communications rings 107, 108, 109.
Great info, as usual. Looking forward to the pics.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2009, 12:56 PM
New Yorker for life

steve trapani

Update from morrongiello (sep 25)

guachumara

Last edited by NYguy; Sep 26, 2009 at 1:33 PM.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2009, 1:47 PM
Martian

Am I the only one who doesn't like that the base rises outward and then there's the awkward angle where the rest of the building starts, and even though the rest of the building is technically rectangular from whichever angle you look at it, its shape creates the optical illusion that it tapers again inward.

There's something about that that bothers me, it's like the base is a toilet seat and the rest of the building is sitting on it... Why couldn't they have made the base perfectly straight and rectangular - more straightforward, more stylish. The tapering outward just makes it look awkward.

Anyone else feel this way...?

Also, I read on wikipedia that there are rumors it might not get finished by 2018...?? Is this true? And if so, is there a chance for a design change?

Old Posted Sep 26, 2009, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee View Post
Also, I read on wikipedia that there are rumors it might not get finished by 2018...?? Is this true? And if so, is there a chance for a design change?
I assure you what you read on wikipedia is inaccurate. The current construction plan by the Port Authority is accurate therefore the Tower should be done by 2013 unless more delays pile up but I don't think that will happen. The rooftop will top-out in Fall 2011 and the communication ring along with the spire should be added on in the months following that so most likely by 2012 the building will fully top-out at 1,776 Feet.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive