HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Soho Parkway in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Ottawa Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Apr 23, 2009, 11:36 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
there's a flash movie on the website with a couple of renders
Here are the renderings from the site:

Last edited by rocketphish; Jun 27, 2009 at 1:59 PM.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2009, 2:11 AM

Looks like solar panels on the roof.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2009, 2:18 AM

Looks like a sleek building ... wow. Puts 95% of the stuff under construction in my city to shame ... save perhaps the new AGA, CCIS Building, and EPCOR Tower. Although we are getting some nice buildings approved.

Anyways, this looks very nice, even though there aren't balconies the glass on this building just looks so nice and it is so modern. Good job Ottawa.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2009, 12:25 AM

Looks like it's going to add some really nice cosmetic appeal to the neighbourhood when finished. Now all that has to happen, is the Ramshackle old Tri-plexes that are the next block north of it to get taken down and redeveloped, as they will look terrible so closeby...

Old Posted Apr 26, 2009, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis137 View Post
Looks like it's going to add some really nice cosmetic appeal to the neighbourhood when finished. Now all that has to happen, is the Ramshackle old Tri-plexes that are the next block north of it to get taken down and redeveloped, as they will look terrible so closeby...
I'll refer to the domino effect. It'll happen

Old Posted Apr 26, 2009, 5:06 PM

I find it hard to believe that this rendering is realistic. I'd say it places SoHo Parkway somewhere in Centretown, I'd estimate near Bronson and Somerset West (note the University of Ottawa buildings inappropriately close).

Old Posted Apr 26, 2009, 5:18 PM

Give them an E for effort, even though it isn't accurate...

Old Posted Jun 2, 2009, 7:03 PM
Mooderator

I noticed last weekend that they are building a model suite showroom on the site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Town Hockey
I find it hard to believe that this rendering is realistic.
why, it's just steps from the canal! ™

Old Posted Jun 2, 2009, 8:13 PM

Mechanicsville... Ottawa's Soho.

What are those three identical buildings in white cowboy hats in the rendering? Top centre-left. Lees?

Old Posted Jun 2, 2009, 8:33 PM
Mooderator

This? I think they're on the Vanier Parkway..

Old Posted Jun 3, 2009, 3:11 AM

Thanks harls. I can't believe I never noticed those before. They look like a Photoshop job.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2009, 6:22 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Town Hockey View Post
I find it hard to believe that this rendering is realistic. I'd say it places SoHo Parkway somewhere in Centretown, I'd estimate near Bronson and Somerset West (note the University of Ottawa buildings inappropriately close).
Based on the location of recognizable buildings in the background photo (the southern edge of DND HQ and the Govt. Canada Place Vanier buildings at the corner of McArthur & N. River Rd., both along the left edge of this photo, and the U of O CAREG building and the Notre-Dame-de-Lourdes church on Cyrville Rd. along the right edge of the photo), one can roughly triangulate the origin of the photo to one of the tall buildings in the Metcalfe & Gloucester area of downtown Ottawa, Place Export Canada or maybe the Lithwick Building.

In any event, it's a long way from Parkdale Ave.

(Yes, I have too much time on my hands)

Old Posted Jun 3, 2009, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
Based on the location of recognizable buildings in the background photo (the southern edge of DND HQ and the Govt. Canada Place Vanier buildings at the corner of McArthur & N. River Rd., both along the left edge of this photo, and the U of O CAREG building and the Notre-Dame-de-Lourdes church on Cyrville Rd. along the right edge of the photo), one can roughly triangulate the origin of the photo to one of the tall buildings in the Metcalfe & Gloucester area of downtown Ottawa, Place Export Canada or maybe the Lithwick Building.

In any event, it's a long way from Parkdale Ave.

(Yes, I have too much time on my hands)
I concur with this analysis. My guess of Somerset is a bit too far South given that you can see a small piece of DND and that the U of O biosciences is significantly to the South of this location.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2009, 1:13 PM

The presentation office for this project is almost complete...should expect to see it open sometime soon...

Old Posted Jul 5, 2009, 5:29 PM
Elle est déjà vide!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis137 View Post
The presentation office for this project is almost complete...should expect to see it open sometime soon...
It will open on July 23rd. I had registered on their website and got a call from a friendly sales person yesterday to invite me to the exclusive pre-opening launch, where food and drink will be free, prices lower and opportunities fleeting. Seems everyone's learned a trick or two from the Urban Capital boyz. They only need the HGTV cameras and the pumping disco and the illusion will be complete.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2009, 6:49 PM

July 22nd Launch

My wife and I signed up for and went to the "exclusive" launch event last night.

The e-mail said that it would start at 6:30, but when we got there at 6:15, the place was already absolutely packed. After having our names checked off on the invitee list, we found out that they had no more floor plans to give out. Strange, considering that they knew how many people had signed up, and it wasn't even official opening time yet.

Right inside the door, there was a model of the building -- pretty impressive. Off to the right were food and drinks. To the left were a model kitchen, bathroom, and living room. The mirror in the bathroom contained a television screen playing a DVD (although there was a big sign on the cabinet below warning people not to open it -- otherwise, the DVD player would be unhooked).

There was a hallway that presumable lead to more in the back, but the place was so crowded, we decided to just leave. This was more of a research trip than a land grab for us, so it wasn't worth the hassle. On the way out, I passed by one guy who seemed upset that he couldn't get any service.

The web site hasn't been updated yet; there's still no information about floor plans, prices, etc.

Meh. We'll probably end up buying in an established building anyways.

BTW, I've been following the Ottawa forum for a couple of months now. It's been an amazing source of information -- thanks to all who contribute!

Old Posted Jul 23, 2009, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntoTheCore View Post
My wife and I signed up for and went to the "exclusive" launch event last night.

The e-mail said that it would start at 6:30, but when we got there at 6:15, the place was already absolutely packed. After having our names checked off on the invitee list, we found out that they had no more floor plans to give out. Strange, considering that they knew how many people had signed up, and it wasn't even official opening time yet.
This is unfortunate. I suspect that there was either a typo in the email you received or they were trying to spread everyone out. The start time was 5:30 sharp.

Quote:
The web site hasn't been updated yet; there's still no information about floor plans, prices, etc.
The start time bit you again here. The handouts that they were out of when you arrived were packed with information...all the floor plans, prices, appliance details...basically everything you would be looking for before making a purchase.

There was a flurry of activity there and it wasn't just questions...they were busy signing people up.....I wouldn't be surprised if they sold out all the allotted units for the pre-sale. If that is the situation then expect the prices to be raised before the public sale. He who buys earliest gets the best deal in the condo market..., but don't get discouraged if you didn't catch the first round...the second round is still cheaper than a year from now....cheaper being a relative term here!

Quote:
We'll probably end up buying in an established building anyways.
This is likely your best approach if your planning to move soon. You'd be waiting 2-3 years for any new build.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2009, 9:03 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

A marketing-type spiel from:
http://ottawahomesandcondos.blogspot...-location.html

SoHo Parkway - THE FIRST CONDOMINIUM PROJECT IN OTTAWA DESIGNED BY BRIAN GLUCKSTEIN AND SOHO MET HOTEL

Instant Info
site: SoHo Parkway
Condos: 508-2,779 sq.ft. penthouse
Price: $219,000 to $1.295M
occupancy: Sept. 2011
Presentation Gallery: 201 Parkdale
call: (613) 798-7646

SoHo Parkway is the first SoHo development in Ottawa; a limited edition of luxury condominiums inspired by award-winning SoHo Metropolitan Hotel and Mastercraft Starwood’s other SOHO luxury condominiums in Toronto. Mastercraft Starwood is an Ottawa-based developer that for more than 50 years has built more than 10,000 homes, apartment buildings, condominiums, land development, office buildings, shopping centres, and hotels in Ottawa, Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary and Edmonton. Mastercraft Starwood’s SoHo-branded condominiums are well-known in Toronto for their outstanding design features, lifestyle amenities and resale value.

SoHo Parkway sets a new standard in Ottawa according to Danny See, vice-president of sales. "We studied the market in Ottawa, and SoHo Parkway will be Ottawa’s most design-conscious condominiums," says See. "Architect Rod Lahey has designed a magnificent 15-storey point tower, with floor-to-ceiling windows, and a stunning rooftop skyclub and signature SoHo features. Gluckstein Design and SoHo Met Hotel Design Group have incorporated boutique hotel design features throughout-features that are just not available in any other luxury condominium in Ottawa. And Metropolitan Hotels will provide management and services."

Gluckstein Design is Canada’s pre-eminent residential interior design firm and Brian Gluckstein’s first residential condominium project in Ottawa. Gluckstein is the designer of the new Four Seasons Hotel and Residences in Toronto, the Windsor Arms Hotel, the Four Seasons in Palm Beach, as well as many exclusive private homes. Gluckstein’s work has earned several distinguished design awards and has been published in numerous international publications. Gluckstein and SoHo Met Design Group together with Lahey have designed SoHo floor plans with up to 20-foot wide living spaces with floor-to-ceiling and wall-to-wall windows, a SoHo design feature that maximizes natural light and feeling of spaciousness. Condominiums start on the 6th floor providing all suites with great views.

Suites also feature SoHo designer kitchens with AEG appliances that are integrated and concealed behind lacquered doors, Caesarstone counters and backsplashes of glass tile. An Italian stainless sink is accented by a side-mounted Cabano faucet. Boutique hotel design marble bathrooms feature five-foot showers with glass screen and a rain showerhead, diverter and hand shower.

Nothing else in Ottawa compares to SoHo Parkway which offers this winning combination of Gluckstein design, Metropolitan Hotel management and services, and high level of interior finishes and features-- and all of this with a starting price of only $219,900.

SoHo Parkway has been designed with unsurpassed lifestyle amenities; the SoHo Club features a fully equipped Dalton Brown Gym, a private theatre, roof top sundeck, hot tub and outdoor kitchen and barbecue. Metropolitan Hotels trained staff, including a concierge, can arrange housekeeping, laundry and dry-cleaning, grocery delivery, catering, messenger service, pet-sitting, reservations and ticket acquisition. VRTUCAR is on site. Business needs are addressed with the availability of an executive boardroom and business centre taking the concept of a home office to new heights.

In addition to enjoying the privileged lifestyle at SoHo Parkway in Ottawa all condo owners who purchase before October 30 are automatically eligible for SoHo Black Card providing them with up 10 nights’ of free hotel rooms each year for three years at SoHo Met Hotel in Toronto and Metropolitan Hotel in Vancouver.

SoHo Parkway offers the best of the best--the best area with the best bars, chic restaurants, hot clubs, art galleries and boutique shops. The ultimate in urban environments, it’s bordered by Wellington Village, the Capital Pathway with its trails and pathways along the Ottawa River, the Quad arts district and Parkdale Market of Hintonburg, and trendy Westboro Village. Those at work at Tunney’s Pasture will appreciate being able to enjoy a new way of life at SoHo Parkway.

The lowest mortgage rates in 50 years, BMO financing and a SoHo homebuyer’s plan offering ownership for as little as five per cent down, means there’s never been a better time to buy. These details and more can be reviewed at the stunning Presentation Gallery, 201 Parkdale, designed and furnished by Gluckstein, being showcased by appointment only. Pre-register now at www.sohoparkway.com or call 613- 798-7646 for an opportunity to experience the affordable luxury of SoHo Parkway.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2009, 10:49 PM
Living With My Mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky1687 View Post
This is unfortunate. I suspect that there was either a typo in the email you received or they were trying to spread everyone out. The start time was 5:30 sharp.
My invite was for 6:30. I got held up at work and didn't make it there until 7:30. When I did get there it was like a shark attack. There was no food, no more clean glasses and all but three units were gone. I told a guy there, who claimed that he was in charge of the plans, that it was really lame. He swore that no one was let in, or saw the plans, before 6:30. My BS detector was going off - and perhaps rightly so...

I would chaulk this one up as a learning experience. And from what I experienced Charlesfort has much less pliable values and ethics.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2009, 10:03 PM

If there were many sales made, then this building should get the go ahead from the creditors sooner rather than later. Even though this building will be completely out of place with the rest of the neighbourhood, it should prove the catalyst for further development...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa