HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 16, 2013, 5:14 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by craneSpotter View Post
Readers Choice Awards 2013 : Conde Nast Traveler

Nearly 80,000 readers & avid travellers cast 1.3 million votes for their favourite global cities and islands to visit. Maybe a bit USA/Europe centric , but they do make up the largest travel group in the world.

Surprised Canada's #1 tourist destination - Niagara Falls - is is not on the list Of course individual tastes may vary...but these are the places the masses like And, I wanna go to San Miguel De Allende, Mexico!!
I don't find it USA-centric at all. No NYC, New Orleans, San Fran, Miami...

And no London UK which is also an American favourite.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2013, 5:15 PM
is watching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I don't find it USA-centric at all. No NYC, New Orleans, San Fran, Miami...

And no London UK which is also an American favourite.
Hmm, that is true. WTF, I love New York City! It would be on my list.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2013, 1:14 AM
ARTchitecture

An amazing video of Calgary with an even more amazing song about Calgary by a local artist.

Video Link

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2013, 5:58 AM

New Ottawa Tourism video.

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 22, 2013, 10:26 PM

Here's a new promotional video for Hamilton. It is aimed at not re-branding, but renewing Hamilton's image as the is The Ambitious City. After the video was released, #HamOnt was one of the top trending topics on Twitter in every major Canadian city.

Video Link

Old Posted Nov 1, 2013, 3:30 AM
ARTchitecture

I just dug these out of the archives. Just for reference, bungee jumping is bad ass, but bungee jumping into the Lillouett Valley near Whistler is even more bad ass. I did this 2 years ago. If you guys are ever in Whistler and looking to do something awesome, just search up "Whistler Bungee" on google. From what I remember, you have to get your tickets in town, and then drive out to the jump bridge.

By Chadillaccc, on Flickr

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2013, 6:54 PM

Corner Brook Most Visited Port in Province
Quote:
For the second year in a row, Corner Brook has welcomed the most cruise visitors of all ports in Newfoundland and Labrador.

In 2013, the west coast city welcomed 8,335 passengers and 8,745 crew after hosting 13 port calls, according to the Corner Brook Port Corporation
http://www.thewesternstar.com/News/L...-in-province/1

There were over 26,000 passengers who came through in 2012 so this year is a little disappointing, despite the still solid number of visitors. The city and port corp. need to focus on building a proper gateway area on the dock. Right now, passengers step off the ship onto a gravel parking lot full of potholes and mud which they have to walk through to get to the waiting tour busses, which are commandered school busses. It really makes us look unprofessional.

The port has lost a lot of it's industrial activity over the past number of years, so hopefully they start to focus energy on building up the tourism product and build a proper receiving area for visitors.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2013, 10:40 PM
is watching.

North American Tourism.

Does anybody else on here use VRBO/Homeaway to rent (longer term) vacation accommodations? We have been for a long time now, particularly for Hawaii and the mainland US. They are usually 5-7 day minimum rentals (in the most popular areas), although some owners have minimum stay requirements anywhere from 2 to 30 days.

VRBO has over 540,000 vacation rental units listed around the globe. The USA and territories make up a good chunk of those @ 240,000+. Mexico has about 7,600 and Canada has about 6,600 listings.

Here is the VRBO link for Canada. The VRBO listings indicate which regions long-term visitors/tourists like to stay in your province. It may even help you discover unknown areas of other provinces

http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/canada

Old Posted Dec 11, 2013, 5:04 AM

Quebec City's summer festival released a new ad recently:

Video Link

Old Posted Mar 3, 2014, 4:10 PM

This is a pretty great article on Toronto's ethnic neighbourhoods and restaurants from the travel section of The New York Times!

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/02/tr...ffet.html?_r=0

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 10:41 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

How sweet!

The St-Pierre-et-Miquelon authorities conducted polls in Newfoundland and Labrador to come up with the questions answered in their new FAQ. They even reached out to us on social websites, such as Reddit:

Some cute bits:

Quote:
Business Hours

Most businesses are open Monday to Friday, from 9:00 am to 12:00 pm and from 1:30 pm to 6:00 pm. Most shops are closed Saturday afternoons and Sundays. Prices include any taxes. On Sunday mornings, the only business likely to be open is the pastry shop! Don’t miss out on North America’s best croissants!

Lunch

The entire town usually closes up between 12 noon and 1:30 PM. It is also recommended you make reservations at local restaurants ahead of time to avoid disappointment.

Currency and Banking

The official currency in Saint-Pierre & Miquelon is the Euro (€). Banking establishments will provide currency exchange services, however Canadian (CDN) and American dollars (USD) are accepted by most merchants involved in the tourism trade. Major credit cards and traveller cheques are commonly accepted.

Before the Euro came to be, the islands of Saint-Pierre & Miquelon used the French Franc. However, before 1974, a special Colonial Currency, the Franc CFA was used. The bills were adorned with scenes out of Africa.
The privilege of entering St-Pierre-et-Miquelon without a passport has been extended to all Canadians, not just Newfoundlanders:

Quote:
Immigration and Visas

Altough part of the European Union, Saint-Pierre & Miquelon has its own Immigration procedures and regulations. Upon arrival in St-Pierre et Miquelon, tourists are required to have the following documents :

Citizen from the European Union

You must provide a passport, which will be necessary during transit via Canada.

Canadian Citizens

Canadians and foreign nationals holding Canadian identification documents, and entering Saint-Pierre and Miquelon directly from Canada, are exempted from passport and visa requirements for stays of maximum duration of 3 months within a period of 6 months.
Some other cute things some tourists would likely forget:

Quote:
Internet Access

Most B&Bs and Hotels offer WiFi. If you want to use a modem connection, make sure you have an phone plug adaptor for French phone outlets.

Time Zone

Saint-Pierre & Miquelon is part of the WTG Time Zone (UTC-3). Saint-Pierre & Miquelon is 4 hours behind Paris and 2 hours ahead of New York.
(It's actually 30 minutes later in St-Pierre-et-Miquelon than it is here, even though it is quite some distance west of St. John's)

Quote:
Voltage

Electrical outlets in Saint-Pierre & Miquelon are 220 Volts, 50 Hz and the physical sockets are Standard French. Canadian and American appliances will only work with adaptors and voltage convertors. Some B & B’s still have 110V outlets.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 4:04 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Forbes Magazine's April 2014 edition visits Fogo Island.

Fogo Island Inn: The Hot Hotel In Newfoundland's Iceberg Alley

Quote:
Fogo Island Inn, a luxurious hotel with eye-catching design, is set in an austere landscape hundreds of millions of years old off the northeastern coast of Newfoundland.

It is the dream of visionary 50-year-old former tech executive Zita Cobb, who was born on the tiny island–in the town of Joe Batt’s Arm (“arm” being local parlance for peninsula)–then decamped to make a fortune in the 1990s and returned to save the place she loved from vanishing.

The island’s remoteness–you fly to Gander via St. John’s and drive two hours to a ferry–is a profound tonic in itself. From March to June, the inn offers a front-row seat to massive floes heading down Iceberg Alley from Greenland to the North Atlantic (the very same route taken by the big fella that sank the Titanic).

In summer, there is offshore birding and whale-watching, fishing, biking and visits to fishermen and craftspeople. But throughout the year, Fogo Island is undeniably romantic. You revel in the raw elements here and fall into synch with the tides, which is the way time is kept here. Take off your watch when you check in.

If the place is gloriously dislocating at first, Fogo Island Inn immediately grounds you with its indigenous beauty. The restaurant deftly uses forage-to-table ingredients–a shoreline leaf that tastes like an oyster and the surprisingly good caribou moss–to demonstrate that the rock-ribbed landscape seen through the double-height dining room windows is not quite as barren as it appears.

The community concierge links guests with island residents for tours that shed light on the hermetic world that evolved here based on the once-fertile cod-fishing grounds. (As late as the 1960s there were only two cars on Fogo: the minister’s and the priest’s.)

http://www.forbes.com/sites/garywalt...iceberg-alley/

Old Posted Apr 9, 2014, 3:42 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Runner's World is raving about Cape Spear.

http://www.runnersworld.com/where-to...-RaveCapeSpear

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 2:48 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

A gorgeous French flyover of Fogo Island.

http://vimeo.com/86118111

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 12:35 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

MacLean's profile of Fogo Island. Interesting to see the description of Fogo in the 1950s and 1960s. I can't relate at all to the illiteracy, but my father was born in 1950 and he was a teenager before his hometown got electricity, etc., as well. So that part of it is familiar enough.

The Corner of the Earth

Quote:
Zita Cobb was born in 1958, but only technically. “I was really born in the 19th century; no running water, no electricity, nothing that the rest of the world had,” says the eighth-generation resident of Fogo Island, 30 kilometres off the northeast coast of Newfoundland. News arrived from the mainland via word of mouth, since most adults didn’t (or couldn’t) read. When they finally acquired one, the radio was her family’s most treasured possession. And come November, when the ferry shut down for the winter, they were completely isolated until spring. “We grew up feral, as they say,” laughs Cobb. “It was like Narnia.”

Set against the fierce waters of the North Atlantic, Fogo Island is 240 sq. km of rocky terrain, with lush greenery, herds of caribou grazing and pods of whales migrating by. Sixteen kinds of berries, most of which the rest of us have never heard of, blanket the landscape for snacking. Towns such as Seldom-Come-By and Joe Batt’s Arm aren’t that out of place from a children’s fantasy book, nor is the foreboding sign along a rocky trail to Brimstone Head: “You are nearing the edge of the flat earth,” it says, only half joking. The Flat Earth Society, a tongue-in-cheek take on the original, declared this humble Canadian island—among Papua New Guinea, the Bermuda Triangle and Hydra, Greece—one of the four corners of the flat earth.

But isolation can be daunting to visitors. “It’s shockingly beautiful and shockingly powerful,” says Cobb. If you’re not prepared, she warns, “the experience can be quite terrifying.”

For the 2,700 islanders, a perfectly in sync relationship with nature is a necessity. “If you’re going to survive here, if you’re going to hop onto a little boat and sail out into the Atlantic, you’re going to become highly aware of [and] responsive to nature,” says Cobb. She sees seven seasons compared to our conventional four—besides berry season, early and late fall “are so different”—though old-timers on Fogo recognize dozens more. “They think I’m too lazy to describe them all,” she says.

They’re kidding, of course, as Cobb’s contributions to Fogo are ever mounting. Like many young people, Cobb left her home on Fogo to attend university. Unlike many others, following a brilliant career in fibre optics, Cobb returned with her multimillions to give back to the island. After first securing broadband, Cobb’s Shorefast Foundation built a much-hyped inn using Fogo products and talent, restored dozens of heritage saltbox historical houses and created an artist residency program, where already big names flock to Fogo seeking inspiration at its purest. “It’s a whole world of change in perspective,” says Cobb of her must-see home, “nobody gets away untouched from Fogo.”
http://www.placestosee.macleans.ca/

Old Posted Jul 11, 2014, 2:52 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
When people find out I’m a travel writer, they invariably ask me what my favorite place is. I usually reply, “That depends on what I’m in the mood for. My favorite exotic place would be Papua New Guinea. Favorite country is Turkey. Favorite city is Buenos Aires. But Kauai, which had been holding firm as my favorite island for ages, just got replaced by my new found love, Newfoundland.
Aww...

http://www.aluxurytravelblog.com/201...-of-the-world/

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 10:43 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Tour boat operators in Newfoundland are reporting a surge in the number of couples, neither of whom is from the province, coming here to get married.

They're looking into offering wedding ceremonies on board their boats.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 6:41 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

A nice story about us in the Post... odd.

Also, fantastic intro...

Quote:
I’m in a meadow, watching icebergs drift across the Atlantic and petting a baby goat, while its mother — whom I just milked by hand — nibbles clover. My travelling companion, Agatha, is threading daisies. Shane, an Irish restaurateur and farmer in Huckleberry-Finn overalls, is leaning on his elbows describing his experiments in feta, kefir and beer, while Clara, his wispy-curled toddler, uses his legs as a sunlounger. The trees rustle; a bald eagle emerges, then it divebombs into the next field. We all gasp.

It’s the last day of a week-long culinary tour of Newfoundland — from Fogo Island to Bonavista, via St John’s and Heart’s Delight — with CapeRace Cultural Adventures. This moment feels so ridiculously perfect that I suspect tour operator Ken Sooley is hiding in the forest, mumbling into a walkie talkie:

“Soften lights on Berg II.”

“Cue inspiring monologue.”

“Release the bird!”
http://life.nationalpost.com/2014/07...-newfoundland/

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 2:10 PM

I thought it would be a good idea to revive this thread since I just came back from a four day trip to Vancouver.

It was my first time visiting this lovely city and I just wanted to give my impressions. As you all know, I live in Montreal, so it's only normal that I compare Vancouver to "back home" since this is how most differences are noticed between the two cities and it's an often-discussed topic here in SSP.

Please note that this isn't to create a flamewar or anything like that. They're just my impressions.

1.- English, French .....and Mandarin throughout the airport. This was the first thing I noticed.

2.- Taxis all look the same. The same kind of car with the same yellowish tone. Here in Montreal they come in all sizes and colours.

3.- I found customer service in Vancouver to be much, much friendlier than in Montreal, but at the same time found it kind of "fake", as in, they don't really care, being nice is part of their job. In Montreal service is more straight to the point and it can vary a lot.

4.- Geographically speaking, nothing beats Vancouver. The mountains, beaches, etc. all blend beautifully with the city.....which leads me to my next point:

5.- I felt throughout my trip that the deal was more about "What's around Vancouver" rather than "What's there to do IN Vancouver". This is hard to explain, but Vancouver felt a bit like a starting point to go see the stuff around like the mountains, the bay, etc. In short, Vancouver's strong point is its geography, which isn't a Vancouver-made thing if you know what I mean. In Montreal I feel that the city and its amenities are the star of the show, if that makes any sense.

6.- People dress similarly and are less daring overall with their tones. It looked like everyone was wearing the same black/dark brown outfits. Yoga pants and leggings everywhere (not necessarily a bad thing).

7.- The city is very clean and very new. With the exception of some areas, everything looks immaculate. It can be quite startling. It's also lacking that old-world charm, and understandably so, since it's a young city.

8.- Most people are also in better shape and almost everyone is into some sort of sport/physical activity. The amount of old folks walking their chihuahuas/French bulldogs made me giggle.

I still feel that Montreal was the right choice for me, and it is the city that offers what I'm looking for as a place to live in, but I can see Vancouver's appeal. It's a nice place. Maybe I'll post some pics later. I'm at work, after all.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 10:05 PM

That Fogo Island hotel might be the most "Monocle Magazine"-looking thing I've ever seen in Canada.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada