HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Aug 9, 2018, 3:27 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notyrview View Post
But that doesn't make any sense, we manage to tag new buildings Chicago all the time.
i agree, it doesn't make any sense, but it's apparently the way the forum software code is written, at least that's what i've been told by the higher-ups. apparently, only specific building project threads in the development sub-forums can receive tags for whatever stupid reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notyrview View Post
And the issue still remains, if a thread is buried and no one looks at it, no one is going to post on it. If the gen discussion thread had equal visibility then everyone would be happy.
well, that's why i'm now just deleting off-topic political stuff from the development threads, instead of moving it, to force people to go find the appropriate chicago general discussion thread in the midwest sub-forum.

it's not rocket science.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2018, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
i agree, it doesn't make any sense, but it's apparently the way the forum software code is written, at least that's what i've been told by the higher-ups. apparently, only specific building project threads in the development sub-forums can receive tags for whatever stupid reason.

well, that's why i'm now just deleting off-topic political stuff from the development threads, instead of moving it, to force people to go find the appropriate chicago general discussion thread in the midwest sub-forum.

it's not rocket science.
Ok, my offer stands that I could fix this with a workaround query. I'm guessing the higher ups don't really understand how the code works.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2018, 4:01 PM
tilted & shifted

Developer Buys Historic Hollander Moving Site, Plans Boutique Offices With Restaurant, Apartments

LOGAN SQUARE — The 106-year-old Hollander Storage & Moving building site on Milwaukee Avenue will soon see new life as a mixed-use development.

About a year after hitting the market, the five-story masonry building at 2418 N. Milwaukee Ave., plus the neighboring single-story annex and adjoining parking lot, now belong to GW Properties. The Chicago-based developer officially bought the properties this week, according to broker Jim Cummings of Newmark Knight Frank.

The plan is to restore the Hollander building to its former glory and then convert it into boutique offices with a restaurant on the ground floor, according to Mitch Goltz, principal of GW Properties.

https://blockclubchicago.org/2018/08...nt-apartments/

Old Posted Aug 9, 2018, 4:01 PM

^cyoot

Old Posted Aug 9, 2018, 4:04 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
The August zoning board agenda is out. One of the items is for a proposed 5 story (63 ft in height) building with 39 units for the corner of Western and Hutchinson (a few blocks south of Montrose). Also would have ground floor commercial/retail. Currently it is or was the Car Outlet car dealership which is mostly a parking lot. It's good to see these potentially vanish..
excellent! i missed this one while i was out of town.

it's so nice to see those god-awful used car dealerships along western getting replaced by actual urban development.

they're fast becoming an endangered species along that stretch, thank pizza god!

Old Posted Aug 9, 2018, 4:07 PM
Leftist Correctist

^Cool. I hope they repaint and keep the sign.

For me it can be reduced to this: For every personal freedom we gained from the automobile, we lost in social cohesion.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2018, 4:55 PM
North Beach Style

I'm the neighborhood association president of that area (Hawthorne Neighbors). It's going to be another pizza joint, Happy Camper, the same folks that did this one:

http://www.happycamperchicago.com/

They brought a rendering to our past meeting, I don't have it digitally, but it's kind of an open air 2-story set up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthsideNate View Post
Loooooooong time lurker here. Pre-Waterview Tower collapse brings nostalgia to my high school days when everything and anything is possible.

Finally decided to go ahead and join as I've been more active up in the Lakeview area, and involved in retail development as a career.

Anyhow, was up in Wrigleyville earlier and noticed the former parking garage at 3458 N. Clark is under construction. Rare, quite rare, that something slips through but never recall seeing news for the site across from the Wheelhouse Hotel parcel.

Always interested in a new/bar restaurant I can get to, figure it to be as much so curious if anyone knew about the future of that site. Pardon the long introduction, hopefully over the years of lurking I'll know how to adhere to the written (and unwritten) forum rules

Old Posted Aug 9, 2018, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallo View Post
I'm the neighborhood association president of that area (Hawthorne Neighbors). It's going to be another pizza joint, Happy Camper, the same folks that did this one:

http://www.happycamperchicago.com/

They brought a rendering to our past meeting, I don't have it digitally, but it's kind of an open air 2-story set up.
Awesome! I love Happy Camper. A welcome addition to a section of Clark Street that needs a boost.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2018, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
Developer Buys Historic Hollander Moving Site, Plans Boutique Offices With Restaurant, Apartments

[...]

LOGAN SQUARE — The 106-year-old Hollander Storage & Moving building site on Milwaukee Avenue will soon see new life as a mixed-use development.

About a year after hitting the market, the five-story masonry building at 2418 N. Milwaukee Ave., plus the neighboring single-story annex and adjoining parking lot, now belong to GW Properties. The Chicago-based developer officially bought the properties this week, according to broker Jim Cummings of Newmark Knight Frank.

The plan is to restore the Hollander building to its former glory and then convert it into boutique offices with a restaurant on the ground floor, according to Mitch Goltz, principal of GW Properties.

https://blockclubchicago.org/2018/08...nt-apartments/
Looking at GW's website gives me pause. They are strip-mall developers extraordinaire. Granted, it's just a warehouse, but the first level is nicely finished with heavy, well-defined piers and other nice masonry work. Hopefully at least that much is salvaged (they'll have to blow out the rest of the street-facing elevation, I'd think, hopefully sans cornice).

Old Posted Aug 9, 2018, 8:20 PM

it seems to be the intention

Quote:
Goltz said he and his team are looking forward to preserving the historic building, which he described as “iconic.”

“The building is in great shape and there’s really cool architectural elements inside like marble floors, high ceilings and a safe,” Goltz said.

“It’s an important building in the neighborhood and we’ll do our best to preserve it,” the developer added.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2018, 11:42 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
excellent! i missed this one while i was out of town.

it's so nice to see those god-awful used car dealerships along western getting replaced by actual urban development.

they're fast becoming an endangered species along that stretch, thank pizza god!
Totally agree. Now if only the pizza gods, in their eternally cheesy mercy, found a way to rid us of this abomination on the corner of Western and Iowa in my hood. I would be forever in their debt. Makes me fume every time I pass it by.

All glory to cheezus crust!

Old Posted Aug 9, 2018, 11:50 PM

168 N Michigan

July 30

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 12:17 AM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
Totally agree. Now if only the pizza gods, in their eternally cheesy mercy, found a way to rid us of this abomination on the corner of Western and Iowa in my hood. I would be forever in their debt. Makes me fume every time I pass it by.

Sure, that offends the gentry, but at least it has character....

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 12:19 AM

Gems II

July 30

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 2:00 AM
TL;DR

Quote:

Hell no! This lot is OK with me. Hopefully it outlives all of its used-car lot counterparts.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 4:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Hell no! This lot is OK with me. Hopefully it outlives all of its used-car lot counterparts.
Yeah, I love that one. It's prime for a good Parson'sing...

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 5:47 AM

Quote:

Whaaaaat? YOU SUCK! Those vintage signs are the best things on Western for miles.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 2:46 PM
Deerhoof Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
July 30

Impressive job. Welcome back, Atlantic Bank Building/Welcome to Chicago, Hotel Julian!

Last edited by wrab; Aug 11, 2018 at 5:32 PM.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 7:43 PM

Quote:

Nah, it's a nice homage to Iowa.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 11:09 PM

Quote:

No way! That place is awesome! It should be restored

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development