HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 2:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUIR@random View Post
To repurpose a Costco is difficul, because it's basically just a shell with steel walls, I think they will have a hard time putting it to another use.
That and due to the growth in that area and the general layout of the land, it doesn't really have the parking space for a store of that size.

Ultimately it will probably be sold and torn down and a more appropriately sized structure put up in its place. I suggested earlier in the thread that maybe Superstore or Kent might look to move to that corner and rebuild to have a higher profile location, and their old space might be easier to sell/restructure.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 3:21 PM

What I would like to see instead of the Costco would be a new Cineplex complex with the Rec Room.

The Trinity Cineplex really feels dated.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
That and due to the growth in that area and the general layout of the land, it doesn't really have the parking space for a store of that size.

Ultimately it will probably be sold and torn down and a more appropriately sized structure put up in its place. I suggested earlier in the thread that maybe Superstore or Kent might look to move to that corner and rebuild to have a higher profile location, and their old space might be easier to sell/restructure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Indeed. When Costco does sell this property, I'm sure the building will get torn down. I expect we will see a new retail plaza developed on this site.

If you look at the pdf in this link:

http://www.creit.ca/creit/medialibra...).pdf?ext=.pdf

You will see that CREIT doesn't actually own Costco, Kent or Superstore. The fate of the old Costco store is therefore in Costco's hands. I'm sure however that they would be delighted to sell this land as quickly as possible. Perhaps CREIT will buy it for redevelopment.
as I've stated previously Normally companies will sell the land to a company like Costco usually there is a clause in the contract that states that Costco has to come to them if they don't want the land then Costco can go ahead and sell it.

On that note I could see a smaller big box store move in with, or without smaller shops off to one side.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUIR@random View Post
What I would like to see instead of the Costco would be a new Cineplex complex with the Rec Room.

The Trinity Cineplex really feels dated.
Now that would be something; especially if they have some Imax screens in the mix too. They really missed the boat (probably because it was still Empire when the renos were planned/started) upgrading the Crystal Palace cinemas. Now that Crystal Palace isn't really a "Family Destination" any more, setting up Trinity as the main Cinema Destination for the region might make sense.

That assumes that Cineplex wants to invest in the Maritimes of course. I've yet to really see any evidence of that happening in NB yet at least.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 4:36 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
That assumes that Cineplex wants to invest in the Maritimes of course. I've yet to really see any evidence of that happening in NB yet at least.
Yes, this is the key question here.

Cineplex has stated that they are interested in opening up to 20 Rec Room locations across Canada in "medium sized cities" over the next several years.

Will this include the Maritimes, or does Cineplex (like many Canadian companies) operate under the assumption that anything east of the Ottawa River is Terra Incognita......

Barring this presumed misapprehension on Cineplexes part, such an expansion plan might very well include a city like Moncton. Otherwise, their national expansion plan will likely include locations like Peterborough or Kingston instead.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 4:11 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

I thought I would magnify the site plan for the Costco on Granite Drive from the PAC pdf document and make a few observations:

- The loading dock will have four bays and will be located at the SW corner of the building.
- There will be an outside seasonal garden centre along the south side of the building (something the current Costco doesn't have).
- As previously noted, the main entrance is on the SE corner of the building, facing the TCH, and not Granite Drive.
- The tire centre will have five bays and will be on the east side of the building.
- The propane fill station will be external and completely removed from the building itself, and located to the east, just in front of the tire centre.

Regarding the Costco gas bar:

- The gas bar will have four islands, with 12 gas pumps, capable of serving 24 cars simultaneously.
- The gas bar is expandable to 16 pumps serving 32 cars simultaneously.
- Vehicles will enter the gas bar from the southeast, with a marshalling area to allow the cars to enter separate line-ups, waiting to be served.
- Between the service area and the marshalling area, the gas bar can contain up to 80 cars simultaneously
- The exit is to the northwest.
- There's a neat lay-by (cross hatched area) for the fuel trucks to pull into in order to replenish the underground storage tanks.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 3:51 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Signage is now up for the new ChaTime bubble tea emporium in the Superstore parking lot on East Main Street.

Retail Talk & Share

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 6:39 PM

Quote:
I thought I would magnify the site plan for the Costco on Granite Drive from the PAC pdf document and make a few observations:

- The loading dock will have four bays and will be located at the SW corner of the building.
- There will be an outside seasonal garden centre along the south side of the building (something the current Costco doesn't have).
- As previously noted, the main entrance is on the SE corner of the building, facing the TCH, and not Granite Drive.
- The tire centre will have five bays and will be on the east side of the building.
- The propane fill station will be external and completely removed from the building itself, and located to the east, just in front of the tire centre.

Regarding the Costco gas bar:

- The gas bar will have four islands, with 12 gas pumps, capable of serving 24 cars simultaneously.
- The gas bar is expandable to 16 pumps serving 32 cars simultaneously.
- Vehicles will enter the gas bar from the southeast, with a marshalling area to allow the cars to enter separate line-ups, waiting to be served.
- Between the service area and the marshalling area, the gas bar can contain up to 80 cars simultaneously
- The exit is to the northwest.
- There's a neat lay-by (cross hatched area) for the fuel trucks to pull into in order to replenish the underground storage tanks.
McLaughlin Road is closed at the exact entry point to the future Granit Street access to Costco do to flooding. I don’t undwestand how a country road with zero infrastructure and apparent flooding can support traffic going to Costco. Is that even safe? It also looks like the new Granit extension is being built very close to that creek at McLaughlin, aren’t roads suppose to be built far away from substantial natural water ways to protect the environment?

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 7:01 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifyoubuildit View Post
McLaughlin Road is closed at the exact entry point to the future Granit Street access to Costco do to flooding. I don’t undwestand how a country road with zero infrastructure and apparent flooding can support traffic going to Costco. Is that even safe? It also looks like the new Granit extension is being built very close to that creek at McLaughlin, aren’t roads suppose to be built far away from substantial natural water ways to protect the environment?
I understand your concerns.

The extension of Granite through to McLaughlin at present is not meant to be a major traffic conduit, but rather an emergency second point of egress in case of traffic disruption at the Granite/Elmwood intersection.

The reason for this is because this western section of Granite extends beyond the municipal service boundary, and city council is digging in it's heels regarding further urban sprawl to the north of the TCH. As such, this section of Granite will be unserviced, and no building permits will be issued on this section of Granite. The intersection of Granite & McLaughlin will be signalized, but will not be a multilane intersection. I don't believe there are any current intentions to build a new McLaughlin/TCH interchange (although there are future plans for such an intersection).

I appreciate the intent of city council, but I think this intent to limit sprawl north of the TCH on Granite will be short lived. I think there will be considerable pressure by developers to allow additional retail growth in this area over the next 10-15 years or so. Costco is a powerful retail draw, and many other retailers would like to colocate in the area to take advantage of this retail traffic. The resolve of city council to limit sprawl will ultimately dissolve in the face of potential increased property tax revenue from retail growth in the area. The municipal service boundary will be expanded and the west end of Granite upgraded. Ultimately a new interchange at McLaughlin and the TCH will be built. This is when your concerns will be dealt with - likely in about 10 years time.......

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 8:14 PM

Quote:
I understand your concerns.

The extension of Granite through to McLaughlin at present is not meant to be a major traffic conduit, but rather an emergency second point of egress in case of traffic disruption at the Granite/Elmwood intersection.

The reason for this is because this western section of Granite extends beyond the municipal service boundary, and city council is digging in it's heels regarding further urban sprawl to the north of the TCH. As such, this section of Granite will be unserviced, and no building permits will be issued on this section of Granite. The intersection of Granite & McLaughlin will be signalized, but will not be a multilane intersection. I don't believe there are any current intentions to build a new McLaughlin/TCH interchange (although there are future plans for such an intersection).

I appreciate the intent of city council, but I think this intent to limit sprawl north of the TCH on Granite will be short lived. I think there will be considerable pressure by developers to allow additional retail growth in this area over the next 10-15 years or so. Costco is a powerful retail draw, and many other retailers would like to colocate in the area to take advantage of this retail traffic. The resolve of city council to limit sprawl will ultimately dissolve in the face of potential increased property tax revenue from retail growth in the area. The municipal service boundary will be expanded and the west end of Granite upgraded. Ultimately a new interchange at McLaughlin and the TCH will be built. This is when your concerns will be dealt with - likely in about 10 years time.......
The cost to build a new McLauglin interchange and to upgrade the road to commercial standards would be an approximate 40 million dollar undertaking. It would take an awful lot of tax from retail to pay this infra-structure costs plus the debt over time. The City could build a 1mil bridge over Halls Creek by Moxies and open the entire Vision Lands and use the tax dollars already allocated to build Mapleton Road and stop sprawl. Anyhow, math never seems to factor into these decisions with an endless ability to increase taxes.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 10:28 PM

Quote:
McLaughlin Road is closed at the exact entry point to the future Granit Street access to Costco do to flooding.
This spot has flooded regularly forever. A coupla years ago the city invested heavily to upgrade the pipe and improve water flow. We see the result today = more flooding. And that's with that entire stretch of the brook from McLaughlin to Elmwood being a forest, a natural sponge when it isn't frozen solid.
Now, how much flooding do they think will occur once the entire south side of that stretch of brook is blanketed in eiither concrete or pavement? They had better consider this as they look to the future.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 8:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'homard View Post
This spot has flooded regularly forever. A coupla years ago the city invested heavily to upgrade the pipe and improve water flow. We see the result today = more flooding. And that's with that entire stretch of the brook from McLaughlin to Elmwood being a forest, a natural sponge when it isn't frozen solid.
Now, how much flooding do they think will occur once the entire south side of that stretch of brook is blanketed in eiither concrete or pavement? They had better consider this as they look to the future.
same thing happend yesterday at Jonathan Avenue. The Jonathan Brook culvert under the Avenue is not stopping with the flooding issues. It went up over the road Saturday But it does have to do with the large amount of rain with the melting snow, and ice.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
same thing happend yesterday at Jonathan Avenue. The Jonathan Brook culvert under the Avenue is not stopping with the flooding issues. It went up over the road Saturday But it does have to do with the large amount of rain with the melting snow, and ice.
The choke hold problem now is where it pools at Bingham to go under Berry Mills/Kiliam. The drain was completely covered yesterday and nothing but a whirlpool draining away as much as it could. Until they fix that, there will still be problems. However, I must admit the changes along the way to the Petitcodiac have definitely made a difference

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 1:09 PM
Random Contributor

Do we need a "[Moncton] Infrastructure" thread? I'm not sure that this flooding has more than an indirect connection to "Retail"

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Boy View Post
The choke hold problem now is where it pools at Bingham to go under Berry Mills/Kiliam. The drain was completely covered yesterday and nothing but a whirlpool draining away as much as it could. Until they fix that, there will still be problems. However, I must admit the changes along the way to the Petitcodiac have definitely made a difference
Yeah the water seems to have gone down overnight. But I do agree once they lift up Killam from Jonathan brook to the other side of the road, and replace that culvert with a masive one that ill cross the full distance should in theory fix the issue.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 3:40 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverviewer View Post
Do we need a "[Moncton] Infrastructure" thread? I'm not sure that this flooding has more than an indirect connection to "Retail"
This is just an example of a thread wandering briefly off topic. It happens all the time.

The possibility however of a [Moncton] Infrastructure & Transportation thread is an intriguing one........

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 3:51 PM

Quote:
This is just an example of a thread wandering briefly off topic. It happens all the time.

The possibility however of a [Moncton] Infrastructure & Transportation thread is an intriguing one........
It does seem to come up in discussions often enough. Not sure if it should be separate or not, as readers likely are interested in certain areas of the city depending on where you live. So someone interested in infra-structure in Dieppe would not be interested in Riverview necessarily. I would argue infra-structure has everything to do with retail, as that is how customers make their way efficiently and safely to retailers.

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:52 AM
Random Contributor

Quote:
It does seem to come up in discussions often enough. Not sure if it should be separate or not, as readers likely are interested in certain areas of the city depending on where you live. So someone interested in infra-structure in Dieppe would not be interested in Riverview necessarily. I would argue infra-structure has everything to do with retail, as that is how customers make their way efficiently and safely to retailers.

Most are interested in a flood at the McLaughlin entrance to Granite which affects the discussed retail project, while less may not be interested in Westbrook circle's flooding which affects a few customers. Though, I agree that those that live there need to get to Costco too.

I'm suggesting the Johnathon and Berry Mills/Kiliam flooding could be continued in a new thread if that conversation gets really hot and they want to take it to a room before it gets buried in other Retail excitements.

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverviewer View Post
Most are interested in a flood at the McLaughlin entrance to Granite which affects the discussed retail project, while less may not be interested in Westbrook circle's flooding which affects a few customers. Though, I agree that those that live there need to get to Costco too.

I'm suggesting the Johnathon and Berry Mills/Kiliam flooding could be continued in a new thread if that conversation gets really hot and they want to take it to a room before it gets buried in other Retail excitements.
Oh really so last time it flooded before the new culver instalation it only affected a few customers. No more harm then that Yet the city has been pushing for new drainage, and even storm ponds to be put in place because every time it floods in the brook floods at Jonathan Avenue it tends to back up.

I know you don't live, or work in the area but it has caused serious damage to homes, and even some bussinesses have been affected in the North End thanks to flooding of Jonathan brook.

also keep in mind that last time the minute the water started rushing out it flooded Centenial Park, and Jones lake. Not to mention Dieppe, and parts of Riverview as well.

Old Posted Yesterday, 12:50 PM

There is quite a bit of activity going on at the new Costco site. A lot of excavation has already been done. Does anyone know what the proposed opening date is?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces