HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 4:56 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
I remember my Winnipeg school and neighbourhood being affected quite noticeably around 1971 by Trudeau’s decision to move Air Canada maintenance to Montreal. Even though we lived a long way from the airport, and probably had fewer AC employees than other neighbourhoods, this was a big enough event that I was fully aware of it at the age of 7 or 8.

I don’t remember quite as many people moving to Alberta after 1973 (which is when the oil embargo took place, Alberta became rich, and everything changed forever) but it must have happened.
I'm going to spitball a theory here, but I wonder if the impact of the AC move was more pronounced because it uprooted entire families (e.g., dad's job got transferred to Montreal, so dad, mom and the four kids have to move), as opposed to Alberta where you'd be seeing younger people fresh out of school move there on their own, or maybe just with a partner, to find a job.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 5:54 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
- Loyalist migration to the Maritimes, and to eastern Ontario in the 1780s

- "going down the road" from the Maritimes, first to New England (1890s-1950s) and subsequently to Ontario (1960s-1980s) and Alberta (1990s-2010s).
You are forgetting Quebec's Eastern Townships, also settled by Loyalists, including some of my ancestors.
The opposite of political correctness is not unvarnished truth-telling. It is political expression that is careless toward the beliefs and attitudes different than one’s own. In its more extreme fashion, it is incivility, indecency or vulgarity. These are the true alternatives to political correctness. l

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 2:07 AM

In more recent history the mass migration from Newfoundland to Fort McMurray. Apparently about 17% of all migrants to Fort McMurray have been from Newfoundland (pre-fire at least). (See Wikipedia)

Last edited by SF Thomas; Jan 13, 2018 at 5:32 AM.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 2:48 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

17% strikes me as low given the awareness of the place. "Second largest city in Newfoundland", "Fort McMoney", "Fort McMisery", etc. It's amazing all of it's presence here only requires 17%. Makes me wonder about all those places where there's 20% plus of a certain ethnic group or whatever. Must be so visible.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 4:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

At the moment there are about 500,000 Franco-Ontarians. Not all but the vast majority of them are descended from people who once lived in what is today Quebec*.

About as many Ontarians or maybe slightly more are descendants of French Canadians from Quebec but are no longer francophones.
So true!

Timmins is about 38% francophone but I'd say that probably 60% of the people here are at least half French-Canadian which originated from Quebec.

I have a number of friends who are completely of French-Canadian background. Some speak French very well and very close to how a Quebecer would speak. Many speak Franglais. And about a third of them don't speak much French at all even though their parents or grandparents did.

Many of the French-Canadian people here can trace their roots to the area around Gatineau (in the Outaouais region) but others can trace roots from all regions of Quebec. I also have to add that about 4-5% of the population of Timmins was born in Quebec. There has definitely been inter-provincial migration over the years. There still is some today but not in huge numbers as far as I know. There are the same mining and forestry companies operating on both sides of the border so we do get people from Abitibi-Témiscamingue who come here for permanent work or contracts.

Interprovincial traffic travelling along Ontario Hwy 101 and Quebec Route 388 has increased a lot in recent years.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada