HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
The government is always bad at 'picking winners'. It is much more sensible to price carbon at increasing levels and allow the market to pick the cheapest and easiest way of reducing carbon emissions.
That's still the government trying to pick winners by boosting it's own creation (a tax). If you don't want them to pick winners, don't tax it at all and let the market decide.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 11:09 PM

Quote:
The government is always bad at 'picking winners'. It is much more sensible to price carbon at increasing levels and allow the market to pick the cheapest and easiest way of reducing carbon emissions.
I agree that the cheapest and easiest way is to price carbon at increasing levels, but the effect of this is the companies pulling their money from the economy and investing it in another country's economy, with less environmental regulations. So essentially they are reducing local carbon emissions, but in an unintended manner.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
That's still the government trying to pick winners by boosting it's own creation (a tax). If you don't want them to pick winners, don't tax it at all and let the market decide.
No, it isn't. Currently the cost of the damage carbon emissions are not paid for by the people causing them, carbon taxes are a way of doing that. It is impossible to know exactly what the correct price for carbon would be, so the best way is to increase it gradually until it starts to bite.

The government subsidizing electric cars is definitely picking winners. Why do you assume it's a fact that this is the best way to reduce emissions? Just tax carbon at increasing levels, and if electric vehicles are the best way to go then people will buy them. If there's a better way, then they'll do that instead.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackslack View Post
I agree that the cheapest and easiest way is to price carbon at increasing levels, but the effect of this is the companies pulling their money from the economy and investing it in another country's economy, with less environmental regulations. So essentially they are reducing local carbon emissions, but in an unintended manner.
The whole world does need to get onboard to make it work properly. This might seem impossible right now with an orange fucktard in power south of us, but hopefully we only have 4 years of this before we get something better. Just because something is hard doesn't mean we shouldn't try either.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 5:23 AM

Quote:
I base my views on science so policies to reduce carbon emissions are representing my viewpoint. If it is convenient for your internal politics to believe I and anyone else who similarly respects science is brainwashed, then fine. But you are going to find your position is more and more isolated over time.
Junk science Milo, you're basing your views on junk science, I have a BSc Eng., and I think I know what real science is. I expect in 20 years AGW will be a discredited theory when the same old doom and gloom predictions from Kyoto that haven't come true in the past 20 years still haven't come true. Nations like Germany will have multi billion dollar piles of worn out wind turbines and solar panels to clean up and the pendulum will swing back to coal, gas, nuclear power.
Check back with me in 2038.

Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth. - M.Tyson

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 5:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawagord View Post
Junk science Milo, you're basing your views on junk science, I have a BSc Eng., and I think I know what real science is. I expect in 20 years AGW will be a discredited theory when the same old doom and gloom predictions from Kyoto that haven't come true in the past 20 years still haven't come true. Nations like Germany will have multi billion dollar piles of worn out wind turbines and solar panels to clean up and the pendulum will swing back to coal, gas, nuclear power.
Do you work for a resource company by any chance?

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 6:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
Do you work for a resource company by any chance?
You work for a government with a huge agenda on this issue so exactly what is your point?

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 8:38 AM

Quote:

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 6:39 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
A B.Sc. from the U of Calgary perhaps? lol, no comment..

Tosin007: "I know I need to get laid"
WhipperSnapper: "My seriousness is simply a veil hiding a true comedic genius."
OutOfTowner: "I live in Villeray - a block from Marché Jean Talon. And my choice of hairstyle is none of your business."

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Yeesh, ask for your money back on that degree.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
A B.Sc. from the U of Calgary perhaps? lol, no comment..
Lol... no comment... one of the top ranked research universities and engineering schools in the country... who would want BSc degree from there...

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 7:19 PM

IIRC Germany has been increasing coal usage since shuttering their nuclear plants:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/25/opinio...nos/index.html

Quote:
Germany's electricity sector, more dependent on coal than renewables, accounts for over a third of the nation's carbon emissions. Germany could end subsidies to the industry and, as the Green Party advocates, pledge to exit coal completely by 2030. But so far, Berlin hasn't even stopped the construction of new coal plants (although the oldest ones are being shuttered.)
I don't expect the pendulum to ever swing back to coal, as that would be pretty disastrous from a pollution perspective, but phasing out coal will involve swapping coal for natural gas, so trading one fossil fuel for another.

Long term coal is destined to become similar to leaded gasoline today - banned by most countries, and at best a small component of large energy company offerings. That said, it would be really great for the planet if we as a species could actually start to reduce our dependency on coal (I don't believe it is forecast to actually go down until past 2020).

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Lol... no comment... one of the top ranked research universities and engineering schools in the country... who would want BSc degree from there...
This Forum only values BA's, especially ones that take 1 or 2 years longer than the standard 4 years so that the holder can hone their college kid cool skills.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 7:44 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
I've worked with U of Calgary Engineering grads, specifically EE. Their knowledge of anything outside of circuit design (including English and even rudimentary knowledge of the world around them) is patchy at best. And these are people born in Canada.

OutOfTowner: "I live in Villeray - a block from Marché Jean Talon. And my choice of hairstyle is none of your business."

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 7:50 PM

Well, to be fair, the top UoC engineering talent would not be going to Toronto...

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 7:58 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotag277 View Post
Well, to be fair, the top UoC engineering talent would not be going to Toronto...
Actually, the top English-speaking Electrical and Software Engineering talent in Canada would most certainly move to Toronto, hardly any Waterloo or UBC engineers make it to Alberta. I'm not talking about Chemical Engineering here. Anyone who thinks different clearly hasn't got a clue about the industry, there's hardly any high level work for software/Electrical engineering grads in AB.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
Actually, the top English-speaking Electrical and Software Engineering talent in Canada would most certainly move to Toronto, hardly any Waterloo or UBC engineers make it to Alberta. I'm not talking about Chemical Engineering here. Anyone who thinks different clearly hasn't got a clue about the industry.
Do you have a clue about Calgary engineers, because you are talking about Waterloo and UBC engineers right now...

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 8:07 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Do you have a clue about Calgary engineers, because you are talking about Waterloo and UBC engineers right now...
They're the top engineering schools in Canada along with UofT. There's a major drop off in quality after UBC, but the top UofC grads should in theory be competitive with the grads down here for the high level engineering work. This was for a prestigious multinational electronics firm with operations in the GTA.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 8:12 PM

"Top engineering" tends to be based on reputation above all. Actual engineering material doesn't vary much school to school, and in practice the schools with the top researchers tend to have the worst practical professors who fail at actually teaching things. (Teaching and sheer intelligence tend not to go hand in hand).

Waterloo has the top reputation for computer science in the country, but UoC teaches mostly the same material.

Regardless, you can only really comment on the UoC engineers who choose to move to Toronto, which I would suggest tend not to be the brightest of the bunch...

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 8:23 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
"Top engineering" tends to be based on reputation above all. Actual engineering material doesn't vary much school to school, and in practice the schools with the top researchers tend to have the worst practical professors who fail at actually teaching things. (Teaching and sheer intelligence tend not to go hand in hand).

Waterloo has the top reputation for computer science in the country, but UoC teaches mostly the same material.

Regardless, you can only really comment on the UoC engineers who choose to move to Toronto, which I would suggest tend not to be the brightest of the bunch...
So let me understand your logic. The brightest UofC electrical engineers will refuse offers from Ontario where engineering jobs are plentiful and well paid, and fight it out over scraps in Calgary's engineering milieu, that provides limited career progression and mobility? I see your genius isn't just limited to the real estate thread. Albertans aren't exactly known for being the brightest bunch, thanks for reinforcing the well earned stereotype.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada