HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 3:19 AM
Your 2016 AAC Champs!

Incidentally, w/r/t the claim that Seattle doesn't have a Top-50 university, that's debatable: rankings-wise the worst the University of Washington performs is c. #60. U.S. News and World Report puts it at #56 nationally. The best rankings, like ARWU's, put it as high as #11, which is like Public Ivy good.

It is, however, a truism, that Seattle, being a much younger city, doesn't have as many universities as we do. U-Dub is by far the biggest game in town for them. But then we have like half of the country's most elite liberal-arts institutions along the Main Line, in addition to two Ivies, several flagship public universities (some with AAU membership!), and a bunch of excellent private schools -- assets few other cities can even hope to match.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 1:33 PM

Has this been posted already? Inga's article on the 90' used car billboard for Fishtown:

http://www.philly.com/philly/columni...-20180111.html

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 2:11 PM

To me the city it’s noticeably cleaner than it was 5-10 years ago. Most noticeably along north broad. The areas that seem to have trash problems now as opposed to places that have always had problems, are the “gentrified” new destination neighborhoods. (Some) New residents seem to ignore any responsibility just as (some) old residents may not care anymore. It’s a problem that relies on individuals caring about their neighborhood. Street sweeping will be great when we need it/can afford it

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
Really?! The City is too lazy to even ask people to move their cars. This cleaning the streets is somewhat an issue of picking up the trash that is already someplace where it shouldn't be, and doing that is important. But I wish the City put more energy into stopping trash and litter at it's various source points-----------then the street gutters wouldn't be so dirty. This is certainly not a problem where one particular solution will be the fix, but trying to change the culture where many people think its just fine to put great piles of loose trash on the curb with the idea that it suddenly becomes the City's problem is one aspect that has to change. One of many.
They do ask them to move there cars, they won't and they don't. Its the same reason we do not plow. Philly produces no more trash than Chicago, NYC, etc, our citizens do not produce more trash than the citizens of these cities. Those cities just clean it up better. I too wish people wouldn't litter as much, but then again I'm more focused on realistic goals and not pipe dreams.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 4:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsule F View Post
They do ask them to move there cars, they won't and they don't. Its the same reason we do not plow. Philly produces no more trash than Chicago, NYC, etc, our citizens do not produce more trash than the citizens of these cities. Those cities just clean it up better. I too wish people wouldn't litter as much, but then again I'm more focused on realistic goals and not pipe dreams.
there was weekly street cleaning along some busy corridors until Nutter's first term. Signs were up and cars were supposed to be moved. It was cut from the budget and never restored. Street sweeping definitely helps keep trash from gutters, but it does not solve littering problems in general. Most litter is on the sidewalk.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 4:20 PM

^
Enough of this "trash" talk, LOL. Probably unfair to compare but NYC (Manhattan) has street cleaning on certain days and cars do move or get a ticket with a fine. This should be the city's priority. Even the trash bins with the solar panels that they installed are full most of the time with trash hanging from the opening. The city should and can do more, but I guess they have other better things to do with our tax dollars.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 2:21 AM

I think center city is very clean while walking around then compared to Manhattan, downtown Chicago..

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 3:50 PM

Looks like Dranoff is reducing hotel room numbers but keeping the same design for the SLS because he didn't get the (ridiculous) RACP request. I'd file this under good news, since it makes it much more likely to actually get built this year.

http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...-20180112.html

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 7:47 PM

This is good news for a few reasons; not only will SLS International be constructed we can assume; but Hyde will be built at the same time and I see many things by this news that are good for the city.

If all goes according to plan, we are looking at a huge alteration of South Broad Street for the better; this gives the Avenue of the Arts a truly urban feel especially around the Kimmel Center. Just imagine; you have the Kimmel Center which is a state of the art Orchestra House, the Academy of Music which is America's version of La Scala, multiple other theatres; SLS right across the street at 45 floor; Symphony House just to the south at somewhere over 31 floor, and Hyde at about 25 floors; all stylish; all grand; think of the exuberance.
Plus when SLS goes up; assuming it goes up; it will affect the skyline of the city from every direction but to the north; from the east and west SLS, Symphony House and Hyde will stretch the skyline out to Lombard Street; SLS will be prominent ever from south Jersey from the east; and from the and southwest its affect should be similar to many of the towers on Market Street with a stepped affect on the skyline because of the Drake. Also from the south SLS will affect the views of downtown around City Hall because you'll have the W Hotel which is being built; City Hall; then at present the PNC Building however this will be blocked out by the much taller SLS International (I can't remember the current name of the PNC Building because I'm getting up in age); then then hopefully 1300 Market will be constructed it will be just east of SLS International with PSFS just to the left of 1300 Market. As a result if SLS International is built it won't simply add energy to the Avenue of the Arts; but also to the skyline as a whole in a very strong way due to its location.

I wonder what's going on with the Broad and Washington site? Does anyone know?

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 2:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnIII View Post
This is good news for a few reasons; not only will SLS International be constructed we can assume; but Hyde will be built at the same time and I see many things by this news that are good for the city.

If all goes according to plan, we are looking at a huge alteration of South Broad Street for the better; this gives the Avenue of the Arts a truly urban feel especially around the Kimmel Center. Just imagine; you have the Kimmel Center which is a state of the art Orchestra House, the Academy of Music which is America's version of La Scala, multiple other theatres; SLS right across the street at 45 floor; Symphony House just to the south at somewhere over 31 floor, and Hyde at about 25 floors; all stylish; all grand; think of the exuberance.
Plus when SLS goes up; assuming it goes up; it will affect the skyline of the city from every direction but to the north; from the east and west SLS, Symphony House and Hyde will stretch the skyline out to Lombard Street; SLS will be prominent ever from south Jersey from the east; and from the and southwest its affect should be similar to many of the towers on Market Street with a stepped affect on the skyline because of the Drake. Also from the south SLS will affect the views of downtown around City Hall because you'll have the W Hotel which is being built; City Hall; then at present the PNC Building however this will be blocked out by the much taller SLS International (I can't remember the current name of the PNC Building because I'm getting up in age); then then hopefully 1300 Market will be constructed it will be just east of SLS International with PSFS just to the left of 1300 Market. As a result if SLS International is built it won't simply add energy to the Avenue of the Arts; but also to the skyline as a whole in a very strong way due to its location.
Strongly agreed. It would be great if the Avenue of the Arts got some more development like that. What would also be good is if the Walnut-Locust Broad Street Line station got improved with it. I must ask, though; what are the restaurants around the Kimmel Center like. I think that's the perfect place for some good ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnIII View Post
I believe that would be this.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=214349

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Saturn64 View Post
Strongly agreed. It would be great if the Avenue of the Arts got some more development like that. What would also be good is if the Walnut-Locust Broad Street Line station got improved with it. I must ask, though; what are the restaurants around the Kimmel Center like. I think that's the perfect place for some good ones.

Yes the Restaurant scene on Broad St./Avenue of the Arts is lacking.

Sbraga use to be located at Pine and Broad. The space is still vacant but would certainly be a prime location for another restaurant. Apparently though Starbucks at Broad and Pine is looking to relocate within the immediate area, and that is a spot they have been looking at.

You have Volver at the Kimmel and then The Atlantic last I heard was still supposed to incorporate retail on the first floor. (Remember this is where Ruth Chris had been located).

And then you have the hotel project on Broad/Locust, with the smaller format Del Friscos concept and another restaurant concept is supposed to go within that space as well.

The biggest miss in my opinion, is the restaurant space at The Bellevue Garage. It was Bliss. Then some Korean concept. And now it is a 'new american' concept.

Once The Atlantic, SLS and Hyde come online you are going to have about 500 or so new residences/rooms/apartments within an immediate one block area, with about 700 or so new residents. Will definitely add some great vibrancy to that immediate area.

In my mind the success of these projects will propel some great projects at Broad and Lombard (which are next in the pipeline).

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 2:44 AM

The Bellevue restauarant, The Blue Duck, is doing fine. Del Friscos Grill will be a good add. There is also the Palm and Capital Grille. And Aquimero at the Ritz (though i don't think that is very good). Down closer to Kimmel...I believe The Atlantic Building will incorporate a restaurant when the apartment conversion is complete. There are multiple retail spots in the building. I don't know if the Hyde will have restaurants. But the SLS has good ones if that can get off the ground. I imagine it would include a Katsuya restaurant like most of their properties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ePlanningPhila View Post
Yes the Restaurant scene on Broad St./Avenue of the Arts is lacking.

Sbraga use to be located at Pine and Broad. The space is still vacant but would certainly be a prime location for another restaurant. Apparently though Starbucks at Broad and Pine is looking to relocate within the immediate area, and that is a spot they have been looking at.

You have Volver at the Kimmel and then The Atlantic last I heard was still supposed to incorporate retail on the first floor. (Remember this is where Ruth Chris had been located).

And then you have the hotel project on Broad/Locust, with the smaller format Del Friscos concept and another restaurant concept is supposed to go within that space as well.

The biggest miss in my opinion, is the restaurant space at The Bellevue Garage. It was Bliss. Then some Korean concept. And now it is a 'new american' concept.

Once The Atlantic, SLS and Hyde come online you are going to have about 500 or so new residences/rooms/apartments within an immediate one block area, with about 700 or so new residents. Will definitely add some great vibrancy to that immediate area.

In my mind the success of these projects will propel some great projects at Broad and Lombard (which are next in the pipeline).

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 4:54 PM

Quote:

I agree strongly; they really should revamp the Walnut/Locust Station; look at the location; its the Avenue of the Arts; plus its the station for 2 subway lines; the Broad Street Line and Patco Line. When individuals take the Patco Line in the city its a prime location.

The Restaurant scene isnt's to good on the Avenue of the Arts; if one goes to the Kimmel Center; Chinatown or Rittenhouse may be the better place to dine; especially because Rittenhouse is only about 4 blocks away.

I do agree; when they build the towers it will bring residence and thus restaurants; or so we hope; especially if its the cold of winter and strolls on Broad Street aren't in order.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnIII
Quote:
I think that's equipment for Lincoln Square. https://alterraproperty.com/portfolio/lincoln-square/

I haven't heard any news with Blatstein's project for awhile now.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 3:08 PM

It's definitely an interesting phenomenon on South Broad. Immediately east is the white hot 13th Street restaurant corridor and a few blocks west is Rittenhouse Square. And yet South Broad lacks strong retail or dining.

I think the reason is that lots of the buildings lack ground floor retail space, resulting in a street without continuous stretch of retail/dining options. For example, Banana Republic is the only store on the entire 100 block of South Broad Street, which is dominated by the PNB Building and Union League, neither of which contain retail space. It's hodge podge but for a commercial corridor to thrive, you need that continuity and critical mass like you have on 13th Street, Passyunk Ave, Baltimore Ave, etc. That's why some of those restaurant spaces seem like a revolving door.

The second issue I notice is that the spaces that do exist are large, which limits the type of businesses that can afford to operate there. For a restaurant to work, it has to be a dining destination by an established chef - and a liquor license is a must. Volver fits this description. For retail, it's even more challenging b/c you really have to be a chain to afford and use such large spaces - but chains typically like to be next to other chains and as previously stated, there's not enough retail space along South Broad for that to work.

So you have both a challenging retail environment (lack of critical mass) and spaces that make it difficult for all but a few types of businesses to afford and succeed. That's why one of the largest spaces on our grand boulevard got a friggin Wawa.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
It's definitely an interesting phenomenon on South Broad. Immediately east is the white hot 13th Street restaurant corridor and a few blocks west is Rittenhouse Square. And yet South Broad lacks strong retail or dining.

I think the reason is that lots of the buildings lack ground floor retail space, resulting in a street without continuous stretch of retail/dining options. For example, Banana Republic is the only store on the entire 100 block of South Broad Street, which is dominated by the PNB Building and Union League, neither of which contain retail space. It's hodge podge but for a commercial corridor to thrive, you need that continuity and critical mass like you have on 13th Street, Passyunk Ave, Baltimore Ave, etc. That's why some of those restaurant spaces seem like a revolving door.

The second issue I notice is that the spaces that do exist are large, which limits the type of businesses that can afford to operate there. For a restaurant to work, it has to be a dining destination by an established chef - and a liquor license is a must. Volver fits this description. For retail, it's even more challenging b/c you really have to be a chain to afford and use such large spaces - but chains typically like to be next to other chains and as previously stated, there's not enough retail space along South Broad for that to work.

So you have both a challenging retail environment (lack of critical mass) and spaces that make it difficult for all but a few types of businesses to afford and succeed. That's why one of the largest spaces on our grand boulevard got a friggin Wawa.
1. I mean, next to Sbraga, there aren't any vacancies, right? The Atlantic space is still being reno'd.
2. Technically, the Capital Grille is on the 100 block of South Broad Street too.
3. Moving south, you have McCormick and Schmicks, Aqimero (in the Ritz), The Capital Grille, Mortons Steakhouse (50 feet off Broad street), Hip City Veg, XIX, Starbucks, The Palm, Tien Bo, Del Frisco's Grille, Volver, Estia (50 feet off Broad), Good Karma Cafe (at Wilma), Starbucks. That's 5 blocks. Not exactly a food desert.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 7:17 PM

Apple has announced that they are opening a second HQ in the US.

Does Philly make a pitch for it?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christof View Post

Obviously. Even if we get Amazon.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christof View Post

I could only find a Chicago Tribune article on it... is there more info you can share?

Quote:
The Cupertino, California, company says it will announce the location of a second campus devoted to customer support later this year.
In the Chi Trib article it mentions it's just devoted to "customer support" - which is a fancy way of saying a call center - low-paying, high turnover jobs - so not sure if this is quite as high profile as the HQ2 opportunity.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 8:32 PM

Planners of second Philadelphia casino to prep site near sports stadiums

http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...-20180117.html

Quote:
The developers of a casino and hotel complex in South Philadelphia’s sports stadium district have been granted permission to raze the Holiday Inn at the planned nine-acre construction site and start work on their project.

The partnership between Cordish Cos. and businessman Watche “Bob” Manoukian’s Greenwood Gaming & Entertainment Inc. received a permit Friday to build a complex with five restaurant spaces, nightclubs and a parking garage at the 900 Packer Ave. site, according to the website of the Philadelphia Department of Licenses and Inspections.

The permit was issued a little more than two months after the operator of a rival venue, the SugarHouse Casino, dropped an appeal of the gaming license granted to Cordish’s and Greenwood’s group following the enactment of a new state law that undercut the challenge. SugarHouse, in Philadelphia’s Fishtown section, is currently the city’s only licensed casino operator.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations