HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 6:57 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

It's already been renamed that a couple of times. Then others post from their areas and on it goes.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 7:03 PM
I used to be THAT guy

Was it not called "The Newfoundland Information Thread" at one point?

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 7:08 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Yeah. Then "Newfoundland, Newfoundland, Newfoundland." It makes me sad knowing there are people out there who get no personal enjoyment from "Cow sympathizers rally for animal sentience" I mean, that made my day even more fun.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 7:09 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
This thread should be renamed "The Daily Newfoundland Update!!!"

Given that it's a de facto Newfoundland blog countenancing little conversation about anything else, and that a certain forumer has plastered this site with 25,000 posts explaining in meticulous detail about how Newfoundland is really different and should not be confused with the rest of Canada, isn't the title "Canadian Catch-all" a bit, you know, offensive?

Just curious. Apologies for the interruption.
That is just a product of NL's huge sphere of influence. I've probably posted more NL stuff having lived there for three years than SK stuff having lived there for thirty-four years.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 7:32 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
That is just a product of NL's huge sphere of influence. I've probably posted more NL stuff having lived there for three years than SK stuff having lived there for thirty-four years.
Will any of the other provinces ever escape the massive shadow that NL casts over the nation?

It's always jiggs dinner this, white Russian that, mummering this, open line radio that, drag queen event this, fishing boat that, George Street this, Clarenville that, moose menacing drivers this, MUN that, girls with short skirts and high necklines this, "luh" that, skeets this, outports that, Mary Walsh this, Mary Brown's that...

...and on and on it goes.

When will the other provinces get some attention?

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 7:51 PM
arf

^i could start posting stuff from Blue Sky, our daily call-in show here, but it's always the same four or five callers.

I bet they don't have Adult Science Nights in NL.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 4:47 PM

CBC is closing its museum in Toronto and shipping the exhibits to Ottawa.

Yeah, I didn't know that the CBC had a museum in Toronto either ....

Old Posted Dec 22, 2017, 11:35 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

We could be getting a fifth UNESCO World Heritage Site soon enough.

And an acquaintance bought this at auction the other day. I need one! I've got the old coins and all that, but not something like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
^i could start posting stuff from Blue Sky, our daily call-in show here, but it's always the same four or five callers.

I bet they don't have Adult Science Nights in NL.
Not to my knowledge. If we did, it'd probably be https://www.geocentre.ca/.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2017, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Not to my knowledge. If we did, it'd probably be https://www.geocentre.ca/.
The GeoCentre did actually host a few adult science nights last year. I don't think it's still happening though.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2017, 4:51 AM
Made in Edmonton

Edmonton is third in Airbnb's top travel destinations for next year, based on the amount of bookings for the first half of 2018.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...k6xL3KRtyh1qvE

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...ji3bAU-zIIlPip

Old Posted Dec 27, 2017, 8:09 PM
Made in Edmonton

LED lights in Downtown Edmonton.

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1292096

Old Posted Dec 29, 2017, 1:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
CBC is closing its museum in Toronto and shipping the exhibits to Ottawa.

Yeah, I didn't know that the CBC had a museum in Toronto either ....
I had been to this museum years ago, I don't remember much of it other than the Mr. Dressup tree. As I recall they used to promote it on television in the late 90s and back around the time of CBC TV's 50th anniversary in 2002. And there was something about it on their website at one time. However I can't say I've seen any promotion for it since 2008.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2017, 1:58 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

The Tenors filmed their NYE video here.

Video Link

Old Posted Dec 31, 2017, 8:36 PM
Registered Drug User

Not Canadian at all, but the General Discussion section of this site has a narrow American focus, so I don't know where to put this, but the Guardian's "100 best nonfiction books of all time" is yet further evidence that, for all its partisan faults and near unforgivable allowances for the worst of PC/left nonsense, it's still the greatest online media outlet we have.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...-the-full-list

I've never made New Year's resolutions before, but lately I've been feeling that I'd like to reduce the amount of time I fritter away online (though not suggesting SSP is a waste of time and energy--I'd say it's one of the better cyber outlets out there). That this article popped up today is a sign. I've been lagging in the intellectual nourishment department for years now, and need to step away from the memes and manufactured outrage.

Only read a couple of them: The Selfish Gene, Waiting for Godot (questionably included as nonfiction), Goodbye to All That, The Life of Samuel Johnson, On the Origin of Species (okay, I never actually finished it), The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire (um, never finished this either, it's massive) and the King James Bible (obviously not read the whole thing, but the language has seeped into my consciousness--kinda sad that it no longer does for most people--I say this as an avowed atheist).

I find some of the inclusions curious--No Logo and Dreams from My Father seem lightweight and trendy against the backdrop of the great genius of the West represented by the other 98 books, but I'm just going by reviews I've read. Several are classics that I've long meant to read: The Road to Wigan Pier, Confessions of an English Opium-Eater, A Tour Through the Whole Island of Great Britain.

Some good stuff to dive into here.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2018, 6:14 AM

boxing day metrotown, a lot of the stores were making people line up, i was at the mall on christmas eve too and a lot of the sales were the same or were actually better than boxing day but it was pretty busy

Video Link

its more interesting watching peoples first experience

Video Link

Last edited by SpongeG; Jan 1, 2018 at 6:35 AM.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 2:45 PM
I used to be THAT guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Not Canadian at all, but the General Discussion section of this site has a narrow American focus, so I don't know where to put this, but the Guardian's "100 best nonfiction books of all time" is yet further evidence that, for all its partisan faults and near unforgivable allowances for the worst of PC/left nonsense, it's still the greatest online media outlet we have.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...-the-full-list

I've never made New Year's resolutions before, but lately I've been feeling that I'd like to reduce the amount of time I fritter away online (though not suggesting SSP is a waste of time and energy--I'd say it's one of the better cyber outlets out there). That this article popped up today is a sign. I've been lagging in the intellectual nourishment department for years now, and need to step away from the memes and manufactured outrage.

Only read a couple of them: The Selfish Gene, Waiting for Godot (questionably included as nonfiction), Goodbye to All That, The Life of Samuel Johnson, On the Origin of Species (okay, I never actually finished it), The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire (um, never finished this either, it's massive) and the King James Bible (obviously not read the whole thing, but the language has seeped into my consciousness--kinda sad that it no longer does for most people--I say this as an avowed atheist).

I find some of the inclusions curious--No Logo and Dreams from My Father seem lightweight and trendy against the backdrop of the great genius of the West represented by the other 98 books, but I'm just going by reviews I've read. Several are classics that I've long meant to read: The Road to Wigan Pier, Confessions of an English Opium-Eater, A Tour Through the Whole Island of Great Britain.

Some good stuff to dive into here.
I find it comforting that this exists.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 6:40 AM

How a mid-sized Canadian city became the envy of urban planners

Canada’s smartest city isn’t Sidewalk Toronto

By Alissa Walker@awalkerinLA Jan 12, 2018, 1:47pm EST

The skyline of Hamilton, Ontario. The Canadian city has used seemingly small urban interventions in clever ways—with big results. Shutterstock

full read: https://www.curbed.com/2018/1/12/168...ontario-canada

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 6:43 AM

A fan from Japan: A man who fell in love with Thunder Bay, Ont.

Masa Kato has been visiting Thunder Bay every year since 1997

CBC News Posted: Jan 07, 2018 9:00 AM ET Last Updated: Jan 07, 2018 9:00 AM ET

Every year for the past 20 years a former foreign-exchange student at Lakehead University travels to Thunder Bay, Ont. from Gifu, Japan to catch up with old friends and meet new people.

Masaaki Kato first came to the northwestern city in 1992 during an exchange program with Lakehead University when he fell in love with Canada, specifically Thunder Bay.

"At that time I stayed for 12 weeks, then after I go back to Japan and graduate university … and since 1997, I try to come back every year," Kato said.

He said for the first several years, he would come back every summer and winter. However after realizing that the winter holidays are the best time to catch up with old friends, despite the cold, Kato started visiting Thunder Bay with excitement every year around Christmas.

"I feel like this is the coldest weather in my experience [with] winter in Thunder Bay, so even when I was taking photos outside without gloves, only five minutes and my hands were almost dead," Kato said

While Kato enjoys his annual visits, there is always one friend who he refers to as his family in Canada.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/thunde...apan-1.4470042

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:04 AM

newfies with some style

Video Link

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada