HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Nov 23, 2010, 6:52 PM

Scottsdale - Highlights

Scottsdale highlights photographed in November 2010:
This city is located in the very hot 'Valley of the Sun' in the beautiful Sonoran Desert in Arizona. It is an adjacent suburb of Phoenix, the state's largest city. Scottsdale's population is 246,000, making it one of the largest suburbs in the Phoenix Metropolitan Statistical Area. It is a long narrow city that stretches for miles along Scottsdale Road, most of which is developed with large resorts and low-density housing sprawl and isolated shopping centers.

Papago Plaza:
This strip mall is a few miles South of downtown and is a fine example of an isolated shopping center; its detailed Southwest architectural pastiche is an ersatz but fun gateway to a road that leads into Phoenix's Papago Park.

Downtown Scottsdale:
Despite the sprawl of much of the city, toward the South end is the higher-density downtown area that will be the primary focus of this thread. High density in this case does not mean skyscrapers however; only a few midrises are to be found. Downtown's official visitor map divides it into 9 adjacent districts; Old Town Scottsdale, Civic Center, Scottsdale Arts District, Brown & Stetson Business, and 5th Avenue Shops and Boutiques are the 5 highest density areas that adjoin one another to the South, while Entertainment District, Southbridge, Scottsdale Waterfront, and Scottsdale Fashion Square are lower density districts to the North.

Old Town Scottsdale:
This 4-block area contains many art and craft galleries and is the most historic-feeling part of the city; its architecture and streetscape and site furniture reinforces the Old West theme effectively, even though some of it is definitely not historic.

5th Avenue Shops and Boutiques:
This is a rather large nearly-historic district that is an enjoyable pedestrian experience.

Civic Center:
The local government is clustered around a mid-century park that bridges a major street; the City Hall and Public Library are from the same era, although the library has a much newer addition on one side.

Modern Downtown:
Collectively, the scattered projects of the last few decades from across the 9 districts comprise an enjoyable design experience.

SkySong:
This new center a few miles South of downtown Scottsdale is owned by Arizona State University and is dominated by a magnificent shade structure.

For my related Phoenix Metro picture threads, see:

Phoenix: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=186756

Tempe: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=186823

Last edited by geomorph; Apr 28, 2014 at 7:53 PM.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2010, 9:20 PM

Once again, great pictures and commentary geomorph!

Old Posted Nov 23, 2010, 9:46 PM

There are some great restaurants in Scottsdale. I enjoyed myself the last time I visited. Nice pictures, thanks!

Old Posted Nov 24, 2010, 2:00 PM
BANNED

Great job once again! I really like how you provide info of the city with your photos. The difference between Phoenix and Scottsdale is significant and I think you got that across in your photography.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2010, 1:38 AM
The Lizard King

Excellent work ! You should link all your threads it should be easy for us to find them! looking forward to see them all!! Your threads so far had been pleasant....

Old Posted Nov 28, 2010, 2:30 AM

Nice pictures

Old Posted Nov 29, 2010, 2:36 AM

not bad looking at all. love some of those condos. great pics. More!

Old Posted Nov 29, 2010, 2:47 AM
Ex Houstonian

Wow, unique strip malls, you dont see that very often in most cities. I approve.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2010, 3:47 PM

Great shots of Scottsdale! These must have been taken early morning though since there are hardly any people around.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2010, 6:41 PM

Thanks for all the compliments!

seaJ, I visited Scottsdale on a weekday but was there throughout the day. It was generally very uncrowded that day, but my photo style and editing tends toward scenes devoid of people, at least in the foreground!

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 8:39 PM

I visited Scottsdale again recently, and the bus transit center with the concrete slabs set atop steel frameworks pictures earlier in this thread has been closed. Some of the structures still exist and have been integrated into a park and building for a new museum in the arts district, while the structure with the clock has been demolished. The park is part of the property of the new Museum of the West that focuses on American art of the West. Here are some images of the new museum:

All photos taken by geomorph in 2016.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 10:05 PM

On the outskirts of Scottsdale is a new development called OdySea In The Desert that so far includes the animal attractions Butterfly Wonderland, OdySea Aquarium, and Dolphinaris as well as a small outdoor mall:

All photos taken by geomorph in 2016.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos