HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Mar 12, 2022, 6:18 PM

SAN ANTONIO | XFL Football in San Antonio!

Figured I start a new thread since this is huge news! I've been hearing rumors since last year. Dallas' XFL team closed down shopped and a source of mine said that they contacted the Alamodome representatives for an opportunity to bring the Renegades to the Alamo City!

We had the best fans in the AAF, but now it's time to get the attention of the big boys in the NFL! If we show UP and get ROWDY, San Antonio will make a name for itself as a lending contender to host an NFL franchise! Lets keep it going! #ForTheLoveOfSanAntonio

https://xflnewsroom.com/news/reggie-...nio-franchise/

[It’s been a long road for the XFL from 2020 to their planned 2023 return. Rounding out 2021, co-owner Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson stated that news around new teams/cities along with broadcasting partners would be revealed early in 2022. He then joined the Manningcast in January where he mentioned that the news would be dropping in the next few weeks.

Needless to say, fans have been on edge waiting to hear more about the leagues return.

Earlier today the XFL put out a press release announcing another round of hires, so the wheels are definitely moving in the background.

Then it was reported by Sean Robertson of CBS 6 (WTVR) that Reggie Barlow has resigned from his position at VSU to accept a role with the XFL.

At the time, it did not say what position Barlow would be taking with the new league, but it seems we have some answers.

According to Robertson, Reggie Barlow is headed to the XFL to serve as head coach of their new San Antonio franchise.

Barlow had been with Virginia State since 2016 posting a 34-15 overall record and a 25-10 conference record. This includes a 2017 season in which he led the Trojans to a perfect 10-0 record their first time finishing with an unbeaten record in school history defeating Fayetteville State to win the CIAA championship and a berth in the Division II playoffs.

Prior to his coaching career, Barlow was a standout wide receiver playing college ball with Alabama State going on to spend seven seasons in the NFL.

Beyond the huge news of the XFL’s first head coach, we seemingly confirm that the league will be headed to San Antonio in 2023. Many have speculated that we may see Houston or Dallas relocate based on trademark disputes, but it’s hard to say if it’s either or none.

Considering that coaches are leaking, we expect that some big news is coming soon around the return and the locations.]

Old Posted Mar 14, 2022, 2:48 PM

good to see but this post should really take life in the off topic San Antonio metro thread. I know there isn't a ton of activity on here but let's try to at least pretend we have some high-rise development going on, haha.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 5:53 PM

https://twitter.com/DonHarris4/statu...38962868600832

"Not exactly a secret but we should get the official word Sunday [July 24] that San Antonio is getting it's next pro football team for the spring of 23. Former Steeler Hines Ward will reportedly be the teams head coach. Nickname and uniforms to be unveiled next month.
"

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 5:54 PM
JACKinBeantown

What is the XFL?

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
What is the XFL?
Haha, it's a stepping stone to the NFL. I think if it does well (especially since the XFL has partnered with the NFL), it could be a great way to prove to the league San Antonio is ready. With leverage from the mayor, I think this could be great.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 6:27 PM

another doomed to fail league. of course, i hope i'm wrong. maybe the rock has something cooking.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 7:14 PM

I'm ready to be hurt again.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 7:38 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cibolo View Post
another doomed to fail league. of course, i hope i'm wrong. maybe the rock has something cooking.
The XFL has already failed twice. This is their 3rd shot...

And it's not a stepping stone to the NFL. These leagues (XFL, USFL) are for players who are not thought highly enough to play in the NFL. In other words, these leagues are not "minor leagues" or a path to the NFL.

Nevertheless, football games in the Spring - I'll take it!

Old Posted Jul 22, 2022, 12:16 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
The XFL has already failed twice. This is their 3rd shot...

And it's not a stepping stone to the NFL. These leagues (XFL, USFL) are for players who are not thought highly enough to play in the NFL. In other words, these leagues are not "minor leagues" or a path to the NFL.

Nevertheless, football games in the Spring - I'll take it!
Actually, this third incarnation of the XFL, led by Dwayne Johnson and others, has teamed up with the NFL to be a sort of developmental league for the NFL.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2022, 11:46 PM

XFL San Antonio 2023 Season Confirmed!

XFL San Antonio team confirmed for the 2023 season, Coached by Hines Ward! Super excited to see where this team goes at the Alamodome.

Watch the XFL Town Hall Live right now here: https://youtu.be/JIzcPnysAjw

Old Posted Jul 25, 2022, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Actually, this third incarnation of the XFL, led by Dwayne Johnson and others, has teamed up with the NFL to be a sort of developmental league for the NFL.
Right?

Basically like triple A baseball or the Spur’s summer league.

Fun time to watch with professionals.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2022, 1:41 PM
JACKinBeantown

San Antonio Sidewinders!

Old Posted Jul 27, 2022, 8:11 PM

XFL taps San Antonio as one of eight host cities

https://www.expressnews.com/sports/p...s-17326094.php

San Antonio is set for another shot at professional football, as the XFL has announced that the Alamodome will host one of eight teams as the league relaunches in 2023.

Under the ownership of Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson, Dany Garcia and RedBird Capital Partners, the XFL will kick off its 10-game season Feb. 18 — the week after the Super Bowl.

Johnson and Garcia outlined their vision for the league and introduced the head coaches, including former Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward for San Antonio, during a town hall event Sunday night at Texas Live! in Arlington. The event drew a raucous group of fans who chanted the league’s name.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2022, 9:46 PM

Just a glorified farm League for the NFL.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio