HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Apr 24, 2013, 10:44 PM
James

Please please let this happen. Even at a short height, it's beautiful. I'm sure it's not going to cast too much of a shadow.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 1:32 AM

I kind of enjoy this part of living away from SA; I check the forum and other local sites a little less often, but when I do, I get a nicely packaged hotel waiting. This is so much better than the other design, even though the old one screamed "San Antonio".
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 7:55 AM

Wow I love it! It's overall looks and vibe seem to mesh well with it's surroundings. It's not too flashy and has a modern look to it. Blows away anything downtown has added in the past few years. Heres to hoping the project goes forward without the HDRC totally destroying it.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 5:01 PM
JACKinBeantown

Sorry if someone else already posted this, but here's a PDF on the HDRC website.

http://www.sanantonio.gov/historic/D...s_Addition.pdf

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 6:04 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

New renderings

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 7:05 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

That view from Hemisfair is so exciting!

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep-SA-Lame View Post
That view from Hemisfair is so exciting!
Especially if Ashkenazy ever decides to build a residential tower where the parking garage is. It'd be right in he middle of the Joske's building and the Marriott.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 10:55 PM

This design is soooo much better! Let's hope this gets built! Maybe this is going to start our high-rise boom?

Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 2:42 AM

It looks like the Nix, Milam, and the Drury got a room. I like the other one better but this one may be more apporpriate for the area. Hopefully its illuminated nicely.
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 2:44 AM
James

I love those new renderings. This is what we need downtown right now! I really hope they don't shoot this down. I wonder if they are still planning something for that corner of hemisfair park, at Market and Alamo.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 5:32 AM

Look nice to me. Downtown needs a new High rise building.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 3:14 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
Sorry if someone else already posted this, but here's a PDF on the HDRC website.

http://www.sanantonio.gov/historic/D...s_Addition.pdf
That lists the height as 390 feet. There's a few more renderings in there also, including one showing it in the skyline.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 7:41 PM
JACKinBeantown

Actually, it looks a little short in that skyline rendering... more like 340 or so. Maybe they did that on purpose. I'm just sayin.'

Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 8:41 PM
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
Actually, it looks a little short in that skyline rendering... more like 340 or so. Maybe they did that on purpose. I'm just sayin.'
I was thinking the same thing. The roof of the GH is about 400' so it shouldn't be much shorter than that.

Old Posted May 1, 2013, 3:35 AM

So the HDRC votes tomorrow on the joske tower. The staff denied recommendation but the commission can rule against the denial by staff. They have in the past and did so last month.

The problem is tomorrow people get to speak at the meeting and vocie their approval or disapproval and you know the people who don't want it built are going to out number the people in favor of the high rise.

We need to go. We have to drown out the opposition. We need to make our voices heard so that this high rise gets built.

The meeting happens tomorrow at 1901 S. Alamo Street in the Development and Business Service Center.

It begins at 3 pm but I'm not sure when the joske building will be discussed.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/downtow...-on-wednesday/

Old Posted May 1, 2013, 3:53 AM
Meh

One thing I would suggest is hitting on the fact that it'll add a lot of jobs for San Antonio.

Austin's JW Marriott that is under construction right now, was touted as adding 2,500 construction jobs and up to 700 hotel staff jobs. - Link

Jobs, and also property tax and hotel tax revenue are some things the proponents of this should really be talking about to gain support for it.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted May 1, 2013, 2:27 PM

Ugh. Can't say I'm surprised at the HDRC's stance. For you SA natives on the board that know this ins and outs of how all this works, what are the chances that commission approves the building as is?

The anti-downtown development crowd is frustrating, especially knowing that a lot of these people are the ones that never bother leaving the confines of the suburbs.

Old Posted May 1, 2013, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
So the HDRC votes tomorrow on the joske tower. The staff denied recommendation but the commission can rule against the denial by staff. They have in the past and did so last month.

The problem is tomorrow people get to speak at the meeting and vocie their approval or disapproval and you know the people who don't want it built are going to out number the people in favor of the high rise.

We need to go. We have to drown out the opposition. We need to make our voices heard so that this high rise gets built.

The meeting happens tomorrow at 1901 S. Alamo Street in the Development and Business Service Center.

Hopefully I should be there.

I think a pro-highrise San Antonio collation of some sort needs to be formed for the sake of projects like this in the future. We could make recommendations to potential developers in order to save time and back them up when situations like this occur.

Old Posted May 1, 2013, 5:47 PM

Quote:

Tell them an SA native sends his support from Kansas City

Old Posted May 1, 2013, 7:38 PM

Quote:

sirkingwilliam I wish that I could be there to support this project, but unfortunately I can't make it down there. I wish for the best because San Antonio deserves this tower.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio