HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 7:29 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
With the Ikea/Seasons of Tuxedo development I think extending the William Clement Parkway to Wilkes Avenue makes sense. The problem is that Wilkes west of Shaftesbury is in really rough shape and already handling a high volume of vehicles. For this extension to make sense Wilkes would need to have additional lanes added between Shaftesbury and William Clement.

I think that with all the development planned for that area the city really needs to get a Wilkes rehabilitation/expansion on the books sooner than later.
The problem with this stretch of Wilkes, west of Shaftsbury, is that it runs parallel with the rail line. When the time does come to extend WCP to Wilkes, they're going to have an issue with interchanging Wilkes. Never mind making it a double lane. It's the same issue with Waverley and Sterling Lyon Parkway, and of course, Shaftsbury and Wilkes, with having an intersection along with a rail line with it.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
The problem with this stretch of Wilkes, west of Shaftsbury, is that it runs parallel with the rail line. When the time does come to extend WCP to Wilkes, they're going to have an issue with interchanging Wilkes. Never mind making it a double lane. It's the same issue with Waverley and Sterling Lyon Parkway, and of course, Shaftsbury and Wilkes, with having an intersection along with a rail line with it.
Yep. The proposed extension (I believe it's going to be discussed by council later this spring) would likely only go from Grant to Ridgewood for now. Nothing is going to head down to Wilkes in the near term. There are a few options for the eventual interchange at Wilkes/rail lines, including an overpass (similar to the one at the Perimeter and Wilkes) and an underpass (in which case, Wilkes would have to be realigned further south, a la Sterling Lyon @ Kenaston). There was talk years ago about realigning Wilkes a few hundred metres south of where it is now (similar to Sterling Lyon to the East) - however, it would be almost impossible now, with all those acreages that the city permitted to develop along the proposed ROW (on McCreary, Loudoun, Liberty, etc.)

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 1:05 AM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Actually PPP means build it as quickly and as cheaply as possible and if your in a city like Winnipeg where not much attention is paid to detail you can cheap out on the materials used for construction as well.
Actually P3 means that you let someone else build it and maintain it for 30+ years and then when the agreement is over they pass it to you in the same condition that it was originally.

Building it cheaply isn't the best plan if you are required to maintain it for 30 years.

The Moray bridge and William Clement Parkway are both P3 projects that look nearly new even after 15+ years.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 3:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
Yep. The proposed extension (I believe it's going to be discussed by council later this spring) would likely only go from Grant to Ridgewood for now. Nothing is going to head down to Wilkes in the near term. There are a few options for the eventual interchange at Wilkes/rail lines, including an overpass (similar to the one at the Perimeter and Wilkes) and an underpass (in which case, Wilkes would have to be realigned further south, a la Sterling Lyon @ Kenaston). There was talk years ago about realigning Wilkes a few hundred metres south of where it is now (similar to Sterling Lyon to the East) - however, it would be almost impossible now, with all those acreages that the city permitted to develop along the proposed ROW (on McCreary, Loudoun, Liberty, etc.)
Yup. Just your typical Winnipeg foresight!

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 4:05 AM

Wilkes ave should be expanded by building the westbound lanes north of the rail line. That way, a cloverleaf can be built at both William Clement Pkwy and at the Perimeter Hwy without requiring several extra bridges and a major realignment. It probably won't happen... but I can dream.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 3:11 PM

[QUOTE=Bdog;5660348]Yep. The proposed extension (I believe it's going to be discussed by council later this spring) would likely only go from Grant to Ridgewood for now.

Isnt Ridgewood only a small side street? What is the point in stopping a road there?

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam View Post
Wilkes ave should be expanded by building the westbound lanes north of the rail line. That way, a cloverleaf can be built at both William Clement Pkwy and at the Perimeter Hwy without requiring several extra bridges and a major realignment. It probably won't happen... but I can dream.
Moving the west bound lanes of Wilkes north of the rail tracks makes sense except for the exsiting coverleaf at the Perimeter which requires all traffic to be on the south side of the tracks. One can dream though...

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastK View Post
Isnt Ridgewood only a small side street? What is the point in stopping a road there?
It would stop just south of Ridgewood, at a new arterial south of the Harte Trail.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 11:35 PM

Looking on Google Maps it appears there are less than 10 properties south of Wilkes which would be impacted if Wilkes was widened with additional roadway space on the south side.

It would be nice if the new arterial south of the Harte Trail handled most of the north connections from Wilkes with interchanges at a couple key points such as the William Clement Parkway extension and Shaftesbury. That would definitely help Wilkes flow more smoothly.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 1:40 PM

Big news for the "freeway enthusiasts".
P.S. these roads ARE NOT FREEWAYS.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...149015725.html

Latest News

Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Amid hubbub, $300 million in freeways approved
Expansions of Peguis, Clement green-lighted

A downtown water park went down the drain at city council Wednesday, but $300 million of new freeways got the green light.

City council voted to extend the Chief Peguis Trail all the way to Route 90 and the William Clement Parkway to Wilkes Avenue, both by 2016.

The city's transportation master plan says Winnipeg should extend Chief Peguis Trail to McPhillips Street by 2021 at a cost of $110 million and connect it to Route 90 by 2031 for an estimated $130 million.

Couns. Devi Sharma (Old Kildonan) and Paula Havixbeck (Charleswood-Tuxedo) called for the roadwork to be completed earlier to improve traffic flow to and from the CentrePort transportation hub. Sharma said the Chief Peguis Trail extension is one of the main transportation routes for CentrePort and will help expand the city's trade profile and reduce truck traffic on other regional streets.

The William Clement Parkway extension is expected to help facilitate the future Ridgewood South development in Charleswood and reduce existing traffic issues.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 1:53 PM
What could go wrong?

Amid hubbub, $300 million in freeways approved

A downtown water park went down the drain at city council Wednesday, but $300 million of new freeways got the green light.

City council voted to extend the Chief Peguis Trail all the way to Route 90 and the William Clement Parkway to Wilkes Avenue, both by 2016.

The city's transportation master plan says Winnipeg should extend Chief Peguis Trail to McPhillips Street by 2021 at a cost of $110 million and connect it to Route 90 by 2031 for an estimated $130 million.

.......read more here http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...149015725.html
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 1:58 PM
Heart of the Continent

So...now we never get BRT phase II?

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 2:29 PM

Our city councilors are a bunch of morons. Why bother with a transportation master plan if it will just be ignored? Sheesh.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 2:50 PM
What could go wrong?

Firstly, i think this is great that they are extending these Segments of roadways, especially Chief Peguis as it connects with CentrePort Canada Way. I do find it strange that they can somehow magically pluck $300 million off of some kind of money tree for these projects but cannot seem to find any money to complete that short segment of BRT.

The existing segment of BRT is an embarrassment the way it is. It needs to be extended to the UofM to be worthwhile. This $300 million would have build it to completion.

....oh well, like we haven't figured out that this City is run by monkeys.....and not the smart type of monkeys either.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 3:23 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
So...now we never get BRT phase II?
Me and Cam discussed that we could probably engineer our own SWRTC! He's an engineer, I'm a transit nerd.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 3:33 PM

Is the plan to eventually connect all these "freeways" together and form a mini-perimeter within the city?

If you look at the map, it might make sense to connect:

-William Clement Parkway all the way down to McGillivray and then to Bishop Grandin (between Whyte Ridge and Bridgwater Forest)
-Bishop Grandin to Plessis
-Plessis to Chief Peguis Trail
-Chief Peguis Trail to Route 90 and then all the down to Moray (which becomes William Clement Parkway)

In addition, I hope they extend Sterling Lyon/Wilkes eastward to Jubilee. Ikea is going to be really popular, but the primary ways to get there from Pembina are by taking Taylor or McGillivray.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 4:19 PM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
Is the plan to eventually connect all these "freeways" together and form a mini-perimeter within the city?
That's always been the plan . It's called the Inner Ring . The city initially had a ROW running parallel to Plessis but had to put the Kibosh on that plan when it turned out that a key section at Regent was some native tall grass prairie . I'll be honest , I don't get why we couldn't have just moved it but meh ... water under the bridge I guess .

Otherwise , there's no telling how much the inner ring plan has changed thanks to Centerport . On the other hand , it's never been the plan to make it a 'ring' in the sense that it would be one roadway .

As for this story about "freeways" that aren't actually freeways , I can see the need to some degree but don't quite understand why the city doesn't see the money as being put to more practical use by building a few key grade separations . I can think of any number of intersections where an interchange would improve traffic flow dramatically .

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
As for this story about "freeways" that aren't actually freeways , I can see the need to some degree but don't quite understand why the city doesn't see the money as being put to more practical use by building a few key grade separations . I can think of any number of intersections where an interchange would improve traffic flow dramatically .
It's tough to say if grade separations at this point would be worth it (other than in key places, as you mention). For example, from the Kenaston rail underpass to the curve into Bishop, there will soon be a total of 8 controlled intersections - Other than maybe a grade separation at McGillivray, I don't know how much time would be saved converting any of those other intersections into flyovers. Grade separation is so expensive here on the flat lands - more dirt to move, 5$ - $10M on each pumping station, etc.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 8:17 PM

I am not the least bit surprised to hear that the western leg of the Chief Peguis Trail will be done before an eastern extension. The one I am a little confused with is why they are stopping 3-5 km short of the Centreport Way road. Perhaps the province will be funding that piece along with the southern extension to bring Highway 6 into the Centreport Way/Chief Peguis/Inskter/Sturgeon/Highway 6 intersection that is confussing showning on the Centerport website. I am still trying to figure out how you have two east-west routes meet at a four way intersection....

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 8:40 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

This is quite significant. In 4 years, we'll see these roads up and running? That's great. Although I would like to see Ed Schreyer Parkway built with the eastern extension of CPT to alleviate traffic turning left on Grassie on southbound Lagimodiere. It's currently a traffic nightmare around this intersection on both north and southbound Lagimodiere.

The downside to this whole thing is that how will this affect the second leg of the BRT line? Can't we just support both at the same time? Like, how hard can it be?

Now, I'm not so sure.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan