HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 4:34 PM
North Beach Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
I don't like the massing, it sits back way too far from the corner. Setbacks would be fine, after floor 4-6, but not that. Also, it pushes the units back against the L tracks where there'd be more noise than putting them up against Clark.
Was this the architect's choice, or was there some NIMBY pressure to push it back from the corner?
The Alderman wanted "breathing room" at the corner. Residential entry is along side of School Street so there is continuous retail along Clark.

Neighbor comments are primarily in regards to height. Low parking seemed to be less of a concern. Most would like to keep it to 6 stories.

Yes, it is brick.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
There used to be an overpass over the tracks at Sangamon. There is a corresponding rise in Sangamon on the south side of the tracks as well.

I believe the bridge fell into disrepair in the 50s, and once the massive Kennedy feeder interchange was built Sangamon ceased to be a major street, so the bridge was never replaced.
With the office boom in the area I’d love to see that bridge return as a bike and pedestrian path. It could even be incorporated into a 2nd story plaza in the new proposed development to improve their access to both the north and south...

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetline View Post
With the office boom in the area I’d love to see that bridge return as a bike and pedestrian path. It could even be incorporated into a 2nd story plaza in the new proposed development to improve their access to both the north and south...
this little strip is seriously dangerous and is badly in need of a reboot. N/S traffic for whatever reason dosent have stop signs at carpenter or morgan and plenty of E/W cyclists/drivers arent expecting it. the corners are also very difficult to see around while waiting for a clear shot so you never quite know if a car is gunning it or not until youre out in the middle of the intersection. cyclists also dont have a great way to get to the westbound Kinzie bike lanes without going against the flow of one way trafffic (also made more dangerous by limited visibility from cars coming up that ramp) until they hit Green when it magically becomes two way again. fulton dosent help either as thats also one way westbound.

at a minimum stop signs should be installed and a protected westbound contraflow bike lane would be good too. IMO they should have installed that on the southbound side of the bridge instead of rebuilding the sidewalk/parking spots. pedestrians could have been directed to the north sidewalk. seeing as they literally just finished this project, im not holding out hope we'll see improvements any time soon, but someones going to get killed over there. its a mess

Last edited by Via Chicago; Sep 21, 2017 at 2:51 AM.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 11:56 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

New Flats at 676 N LaSalle

Flats
by me, on Flickr
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 2:41 AM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
I don't like the massing, it sits back way too far from the corner. Setbacks would be fine, after floor 4-6, but not that. Also, it pushes the units back against the L tracks where there'd be more noise than putting them up against Clark.
Was this the architect's choice, or was there some NIMBY pressure to push it back from the corner?
I agree, it's too far back. It looks odd.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 5:19 AM

UIC pursues $100M residence hall and academic complex
Quote:
UIC's proposal to construct a 10-story, 550-bed tower at the corner of Harrison and Morgan streets ...
Construction is scheduled to start in December and would last until July 2019. ...
The building would sit near the UIC Theatre, the Behavioral Sciences Building and the Jane Addams School of Social Work, just off the Eisenhower Expressway. "It will be very visible, and I think it will also send a signal about the strength and vitality of the campus," UIC Chancellor Michael Amiridis said. ...

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 5:42 PM
The City

^ Yes!

Would love to see more renderings. I'm just glad it's on a corner and it's replacing surface parking. We need more of this at UIC

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
CMU and brick/stone veneer cavity wall construction has been the industry standard for i don't even know how many decades now.

nobody has built masonry walls with double and triple brick wythes for ages. it's needlessly expensive.
That doesn't mean it's not better quality (in fact, it usually means that it is).

Also...

http://www.grubstreet.com/2017/09/mc...dquarters.html

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 9:50 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
Good news for my alma mater! UIC has been doing an excellent job progressing from a commuter campus to one where the majority of students live at or near the school. The fact that this replaces an ugly parking lot only sweetens the deal.

The location is really ideal as well. Right next to the UIC blue line stop, only a minutes walk to BSB, UH, and the Pavilion, and a few minutes more to the quad.

This will look really impressive from 290 as well. As much as we celebrate the canyoning of 90/94, we have some nice projects creating a mini canyon along the Ike as well. This and the Harry Potter tower will really add some bulk to the stretch between Racine and the Circle.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 3:48 PM
TL;DR

^ yes, this is good. It's interesting that UIC is partnering with a private dorm developer for this. Hopefully the building will be managed by the university, I don't necessarily want my tax dollars going to subsidize a private dorm for rich kids.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
That doesn't mean it's not better quality (in fact, it usually means that it is).

Also...

http://www.grubstreet.com/2017/09/mc...dquarters.html

I guess they missed the part about wanting to be somewhere that was a draw to the young people in the Tech Sector...

SSDD

Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 12:50 AM
THAT Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post

Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 1:55 PM
Plenary pleasures.

^ I love the design and thrilled to see my alma mater grow and become an even bigger presence in Chicago.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 2:19 PM

their main tower has been lonely for too long

Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 3:11 PM

A new 3 story, 98 unit building at 5525 W Diversey which is about Diversey and Central was issued a new construction building permit yesterday. Good to see.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/55...!4d-87.7647012

Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 3:35 PM

The project is a senior housing development called Diversey Manor Apartments:

98-Unit Senior Housing Complex To Break Ground In June in Belmont Cragin

https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2017...ng-development

Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 3:38 PM

^ Thanks. Usually they list this stuff in the building permit but didn't this time. Still good to see something like that going away in the urban fabric even if it looks pretty general.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 9:32 PM

WinTrusts Arena

Sept 23

Old Posted Sep 24, 2017, 11:57 AM

The Aberdeen

Can't keep em straight without a program
#16 Curbed guide to the West Loop

Sept 6

Old Posted Sep 24, 2017, 2:45 PM

1058 W Washington - Mc Donalds

Sept 22

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development