HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Aug 17, 2008, 3:04 AM

Pretty Special - Vancouver Special Transformed

Pretty Special
Updating a Vancouver Special into a $2m home

Everyone knows Vancouver house prices are sky high. Still, here's one that really ups the ante: a Vancouver Special at 4070 West 18th that is for sale for $2,098,000.

But this is no ordinary Vancouver Special. In fact, you'd never know it was a Vancouver Special, because it has been transformed into an ultra-contemporary home.

For the uninitiated, a Vancouver Special is a two-storey box that is popular among some people, but totally reviled by others. Architecturally they're usually distinguished by a red brick facade on the first floor, white stucco up top and a wrought iron railing on a second-storey balcony.

This is an older Special from the late 1960s, with brown wood siding up top and stucco on the bottom.

The house before renovation.
Photograph by : Steve Bosch, Vancouver Sun

Vancouver Special at West 18th has been rebuilt into a contemporary home.

The lower kitchen cabinets are stained oak and the counter is a quartz composite.

But it is virtually unrecognizable from when renovations started a year ago.

The exterior is now a cool mix of cedar siding and floor-to-ceiling windows, along with a second-storey balcony that juts out at a rakish angle.

The inside has been flipped around. In the standard Special, the bedrooms are on the main floor, the living quarters on the second floor. Here it's back to the more traditional living down, bedrooms up.

But there is very little else that's traditional about the interior, which is sleek and modern.

"We deprogrammed it," says Chris Doray, who designed the house with Arno Matis. "And then we reprogrammed it."

Indeed. Doray, Matis and developer Alan Askew basically stripped the building down to the basic box, then reimagined it as a contemporary structure.

Why bother?

It makes economic sense. Many Vancouver Specials are "existing non-conforming," which is zoning-speak for an older building that breaks modern rules. The house has 2,500 square feet of space over two floors, with no basement. If you tore the house down and built new, the current RS5 zoning would only allow you to build 1,800 sq. ft. above ground, and a 700-sq.-ft. basement.

Moreover, you couldn't build a contemporary design under the RS5 guidelines, which are designed to try to retain the historic character of neighbourhoods. This means that if you were to build new, you'd have to build something that fits in with the other houses in the 'hood, such as a new-old arts and crafts home or a Tudor.

By renovating, Doray and Matis could let their imaginations run wild. They tore off the old roof and replaced it with a new structure that zig-zags in the opposite direction, making for much taller ceilings and all sorts of interesting angles. They strategically installed skylights which brought light down two storeys in the stairwell. They dug down in the front of the house and installed big floor-to-ceiling windows.

The changes begin with the front entrance, which is quite dramatic. The front door is massive; four feet, six inches wide.

"There's just something about manoeuvring something that large and heavy," says Askew.

"The way it moves and feels in your hand, it's just a real feeling of comfort and security. Proportionately it works really well."

The drama of the door is matched by the drama of the staircase, which seems to be steps floating in space (they're cantilevered off a concrete spine). To show them off, the stairwell wall is glass, rather than drywall.

"The first impression lasts longest," says Doray, who worked with architect Bing Thom before branching off into his own company with Matis.

"It's part of that reinterpretation of scale between what is a traditional Vancouver Special, and a more contemporary vision of what that can be once you open up the space," adds Matis, who also worked with Thom.

"You're trying to scale elements that relate to that. The stair, the door, they're all part of that conversion process."

On the main floor, what had been bedrooms on the eastern side of the home was altered into 44 feet of continuous space, with a living and dining area linking up with the kitchen. The feeling of continuity is enhanced by horizontal windows on the side which bring more light in.

"The idea was to bleed from the street, so you're bleeding right through," says Doray.

"In the evenings when you come by, the house is X-rayed to the back."

Initially they were worried the ceiling on the main floor might be too low, but keeping everything open, and painting the walls white, makes it seem quite high.

"We did not even lift the floor one inch," says Doray.

"Because of the lightness of the space, the way we configured the space, the ceiling actually doesn't bother anyone. This is a pretty deep home, but you've got light flooding in from both [front and back]."

The white walls are in stark contrast to the floor, which is oak stained dark brown, like a wenge or walnut colour. The existing fireplace was given a new oversized concrete mantle and shelf, adding to the contemporary vibe.

The architects opened up the lower floor from front to back.

Vancouver Special owned by Alan Askew (with daughter Isabelle, 5) has been redesigned by architects Chris Doray (left) and Arno Matis.

Staircase is cantilevered off a concrete spine.

Media room is in the middle of the lower floor.

The western side of the main floor has a family room and den, but both are flexible spaces that can be converted into whatever the homeowner wants -- a TV room, formal dining area, whatever.

One subtle trick was to have everything on the main floor flow horizontally.

"There's a certain marriage of lines," says Doray.

"The proportions of the top [kitchen] cabinets, the way the windows are spaced, the way the drawers are lined, the way the floorboards are going, there is this horizontal grainial quality that is quite harmonious. Your zen thing inside you is not criss-crossing, it's flowing in one direction, and we like that. "

Upstairs has four bedrooms. The master runs the length of the eastern side of the home, and includes the angled balcony, a large walk-in closet and a large bathroom with a sunken bathtub. The front features floor to ceiling windows that are 12 feet six inches high, and a ceiling that slopes.

"Before we even got into the house they said 'We're going to change the roof, so that when you're in the sitting room of the master bedroom you can see the top of the cherry blossom tree in the front," says Askew.

"You've got this incredible cherry blossom that's 25 feet tall, and then you've got blue sky beyond," says Doray.

"What you had [originally] was a window that was eight feet high. You saw nothing ... you saw bits of the cherry blossom and zero sky. So we picture-framed the cherry blossom and a bit of the blue sky."

The wildest bedroom is in the southwest corner. The pitch of the roof was a bit wacky, so they enhanced it by tilting the wall, giving it a bit of an Alice in Wonderland look.

"Here you can see we lost the sense of gravity in the room," laughs Doray.

"The walls and the pitch of the roof raced by each other by six inches, so we tilted the wall to pick up the ridge line."

The master bedroom has 12-foot, six-inch windows.

His-and-her sinks are another master-bedroom feature.

Main-floor dining room could also be used as a family room.

The living room incorporates the original fireplace.

A large walk-in closet graces the master bedroom.

It's quite unlike anything you've ever seen in a Vancouver Special. Or any Vancouver home, for that matter. Which is one of the things Askew likes about the project -- it was unique.

The cost? Askew would rather not say, but a guess of $300 per sq. ft. "is in the right ballpark."

"I set out to be competitive with what else is being built new on the west side, and I've achieved that," he says.

"So I was able to build this for a very similar amount [compared] to other similar new product."

He says this bodes well for future Vancouver Special conversions.

"This is a pure prototype," Askew says.

"We worked it out as we went through it, to a large degree. [But] the goal is to save these things. They're here, they're in good shape, they're well built, and they're very efficiently built. They don't need to be thrown away. You can do something that's going to take us through another 50 years, and improve the neighbourhoods that they're in."

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/n...b-c4632186e675

Old Posted Aug 17, 2008, 4:51 AM

I'm looking for an architect to do some work on my house. I have no idea where to start. I think I'll give these guys a look - they possess the one quality that I admire; imagination. If they can do that to a Vancouver Special, we should let them loose on the worst parts of the city.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2008, 9:32 AM
Dérive-r

That's amazing. It turns out there is hope for Vancouver Specials after all. Thanks for posting the article SpongeG.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2008, 6:47 PM
I worship Led Zeppelin

Wow.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2008, 1:54 AM
A.H.-Ha!

Now that's something special. We need more ambitious people to remake Vancouver Specials into attractive residences.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2008, 2:58 AM
Transit User

While I applaud the modern design, you can do that for much less money by purchasing a modern pre-fab home and plopping it onto existing lot.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2008, 4:54 AM

another more modest , but equally imaginative van special reno can be seen on the pechet and robb website pechetandrobb.ca they renovated a van special a few years ago and it won a leuitenant governor's award

Old Posted Aug 19, 2008, 2:00 PM
Vancouver User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBC View Post
While I applaud the modern design, you can do that for much less money by purchasing a modern pre-fab home and plopping it onto existing lot.
If the zoning allows it. Not in this local.

Seems to me like they did a pretty remarkable job and have 700 more above ground square feet than they would have had they built something (traditional) from scratch.

This house looks amazing from the street.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2008, 2:17 PM
Community Guy

very nicely done!

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Aug 19, 2008, 7:21 PM

For those of you who may recall, Chris Doray was the architect at Bing Thom who was behind the "crystal" design for the Hotel Georgia tower (previous design that's not being built). Further back, he had also pushed for a multi-faceted crystalline design in gold for the One Wall Centre, which was eventually built using the Busby design.

Saw the article - the one huge comment I have is that it's a big mistake to have the living room downstairs. The higher ceiling and the views (perspective, at least) from upstairs are more suitable for the living room. Also, the article gets it wrong - Vancouver specials ordinarily have both living areas and bedrooms upstairs.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2008, 5:21 AM
Vancouver Moderator

I thought Vancouver Specials were pretty charming... like okay fine they do look a little boring but then this renovation pretty much destroys that charm... I mean it looks good, but I think building a new house would be better.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2008, 5:27 AM
I worship Led Zeppelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
I thought Vancouver Specials were pretty charming... like okay fine they do look a little boring but then this renovation pretty much destroys that charm... I mean it looks good, but I think building a new house would be better.
You're joking, right?

Old Posted Aug 20, 2008, 6:16 AM

^^ as a gen x'er who grew up in east vancouver, i definately do have nostalgia for the specials.. riding your bike directly into your attached garage and running directly to the family room to watch 'transformers' takes me back... i do have to admit their overall nastiness, though, as an adult...

I wonder if the reno was able to preserve the sheer utility of a vancouver special (eg. being able to divide the house up into separate suites easily, use of the garage, etc..)

The interiors on the reno are amazing, but the exterior still shows the vancouver special DNA. I wonder how this will look in 10 yrs. Not to detract from the work of the architects, but i would still balk at paying 2 mil...

Old Posted Aug 20, 2008, 5:59 PM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmorek View Post
You're joking, right?
No not really. I lived in one before and I liked it very much.

This looks like an amazing house... I still don't understand why they just didn't build a new house instead of renovating an old one... and new old house is still and old house.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2008, 6:28 PM
Vancouver User

The house (now) is amazing.

The reasons they renovated were...

1) they wanted a modern house and could NOT construct that with a new-build under the RS-5 zoning

2) under the RS-5 zoning they could either have 2500 square feet all above ground using the current non-conforming 'bones' of the van special house OR they could have had a total of 2500 square feet with 700 of it below ground (in a basement) and only 1800 above if building new but again they'd have to then go with a traditional look.

As for the ease in adding a suite, etc., that is NOT something the target buyer of the $2M modern masterpiece is looking for.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2008, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
No not really. I lived in one before and I liked it very much.

This looks like an amazing house... I still don't understand why they just didn't build a new house instead of renovating an old one... and new old house is still and old house.
I think they explained in the article why they didn't just build a new house. The zoning for the Vancouver Special allowed a certain amount of square footage on each floor. This was basically grandfathered. If the house had been pulled down and a new one built, that old zoning would not have applied, so only a smaller footprint house would be permitted.

This solution allowed the homeowner to maintain the square footage on the lot, but in essence have a whole new house there, without breaking any zoning laws.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2008, 7:05 PM
Vancouver Moderator

No I realized that, but it's interesting that the owner wanted that specific location.

I wonder what the neighbors think about this house...

Old Posted Aug 20, 2008, 7:11 PM
Vancouver User

Great quiet street right next to Pacific Spirit Park... probably was the cheapest house on the block.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues