HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 6:07 PM

Can a better night’s sleep in a ‘hipster’ bus replace flying?

Quote:
By Peter Holley August 10 at 10:01 AM

. . . Tom Currier calls it the “500-mile problem” and now, the Silicon Valley entrepreneur and his partner, Gaetano Crupi, say they have a solution. It’s called “Cabin” — a double-decker, luxury bus line with WiFi, a comfy lounge and sleeping pods that offer the same pressed sheets you’ll find at the Ritz Carlton.

Cabin began making overnight trips between Los Angeles and San Francisco last month . . . . Currier argues that the company’s emphasis on providing passengers with a good night’s sleep separates Cabin from other forms of transportation . . . .

He compares the overnight bus ride to “teleportation.”

“We’re taking these 300-500 mile trips and turning them into an experience where you’re basically checking into a hotel in one city and then checking out of a hotel in another city,” Currier said . . . .

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.fe13abc3d333

Of course if they'd just get really serious about HSR . . .

But AMTRAK once ran a "night train" between SF and LA. I took it once. Board at LA's Union Station at 10 PM and go to sleep, get up in SF around 7 AM. It was a good way to travel. I sleep well on trains as long as I can lie down (as in a sleeping car).

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 6:13 PM

I've yet to see how a cramped hole in a bus with only a curtain as soundproofing is supposed to give me a good night sleep.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_jeffrey View Post
I've yet to see how a cramped hole in a bus with only a curtain as soundproofing is supposed to give me a good night sleep.
Well, I'm not advocating for this but I will say (again) that I sleep very well in something similar on trains. And you have more than a curtain for soundproofing on this bus (and on AMTRAK sleeping cars, though ViaRail did run sleepers like you see in old movies where it was just a curtain). Here it appears to be a metal or fiberglass partition (on AMTRAK it's metal).

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 8:06 PM

I could see this being utilized for tourists who are traveling between two cities because you don’t lose a day or several hours to travel and you can avoid a night of hotel expenses. This company should find out how to have showers at the destination (maybe partner with a gym).

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 1:21 AM
Show me the blueprints

Looks like a great way to die.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 6:16 AM
恭喜发财!

I'm a fan of overnight trains (I've taken them quite frequently here in China) but I just don't think that a bus would be able to offer the same kind of smoothness that a train can.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation