HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jul 3, 2009, 1:23 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Mod Note: 2 Posts Moved to the Burrard Bridge Upgrades thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-007 View Post
A report just came out on the 6 news on Global about a pedestrian and bike only bridge over False Creek to the west of the Burrard Street Bridge. There are very few details about the bridge out at this time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post

Old Posted Jul 3, 2009, 2:31 PM

Here they are.

Pedestrian and bike bridge proposed for False Creek
Last Updated: Friday, July 3, 2009 | 7:25 AM PT Comments1Recommend1
CBC News
Architect Gregory Henriquez's proposal for a pedestrian bridge across False Creek that would connect Kitsilano with the West End. Architect Gregory Henriquez's proposal for a pedestrian bridge across False Creek that would connect Kitsilano with the West End. (Henriquez Partners)

Mayor Gregor Robertson is supporting a proposal to build a bike and pedestrian bridge across False Creek at a cost of $45 million.

The proposed 15-metre-wide suspension bridge would cross the entrance to False Creek just west of Burrard Street, linking Kitsilano at Vanier Park with the West End at Sunset Beach.

Architect Gregory Henriquez presented the plan to the mayor after the two talked about the idea a few months ago.

The proposed span was "very elegant and modern," according to Robertson, who compared it to the popular pedestrian-only Millennium Bridge that crosses the Thames River in London.

"It's an infrastructure project and these kinds of bridges have actually been quite positive economic generators in London and Paris and we would be among the leading cities in North America to do something like this," said Robertson on Thursday night after the proposal was publicly released.

Taxpayers could vote on the idea during a referendum in the next civic election, said Robertson, who is also hoping the federal and provincial governments will help with funding.

"It could be a business venture all of its own in terms of the money side of it. In terms of the long-term solutions we do have to have a long-term safe and good crossing of False Creek," said Robertson.

The proposal comes just days before the city closes one lane on the Burrard Bridge to car traffic to create a bike lane as part of trial project.
The proposed bridge has been compared with the popular Millennium Bridge in London. The proposed bridge has been compared with the popular Millennium Bridge in London. (Henriquez Partners)

Old Posted Jul 3, 2009, 2:32 PM

Here is the missing source:

Old Posted Jul 3, 2009, 2:33 PM

MOD please move

Sorry guys I didn't realize it was a redirect until after I posted.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2009, 5:43 AM
Vancouver Moderator

I didn't realize this, but TransLink has done a study on a Public Biking System (PBS), and concluded that a PBS would work well:

http://www.translink.ca/~/media/Docu...20Summary.ashx

Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 7:41 PM
sparky

Anyone see that article how there are a lot of pedestrians being hit near the downtown eastside and how they are going to study it to try and reduce the number of pedesetrian accidents? Could it be because the drug addled homeless people just randomly stumble out into traffic without any regard to traffic signals etc and get hit? I'm sure the city will start putting in road narrowing etc near Main and Hastings now because it couldn't possibly be the pesdetrians who are to blame....

Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radacal View Post
Anyone see that article how there are a lot of pedestrians being hit near the downtown eastside and how they are going to study it to try and reduce the number of pedesetrian accidents? Could it be because the drug addled homeless people just randomly stumble out into traffic without any regard to traffic signals etc and get hit? I'm sure the city will start putting in road narrowing etc near Main and Hastings now because it couldn't possibly be the pesdetrians who are to blame....
Where was the article published?

TIA.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 8:01 PM

Saw that - my thoughts exactly. Fatal flaw in their assumptions - that pedestrians are coherent enough to not wander aimlessly into traffic!

An road narrowing will just mean more pedetsrians hit - less time for a driver to react before the pedestrian stumbles into traffic.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2009, 2:16 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

The funniest part is that thanks to pressure by VANDU (Vancouver area network of drug users) council is looking at revoking all violation tickets handed out in the DTES.
Gee not issuing tickets was working all so well. Now that they know they're above the law I imagine they will all behave.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2009, 2:48 AM

And issuing tickets was going to ameliorate the problem?

Old Posted Jul 23, 2009, 6:21 AM

I drive from DT to BBY/HWY 1 regularly. People by oppenheimer park will just wander aimlesly into traffic. They will also cross on a yellow/new red. In this area, it is endemic, i see chinatown grandmas and hipsters wander out on crosswalks, but it is the most dishevelled and wasted people that have no regard for their surroundings that do this the most. powell/cordova is a major artery and truck route to DT, VPD HQ, industrial areas (sunrise poultry, etc) and the port.

most frustratingly (and why is support the crack down) is that until recently, this was tolerated behaviour, and traffic will slow down to not hit someone walking on a red. the lights there are coordinated, so flows can get quite steady quickly and a moron walking on a red there is like someone walking out on knight street. IMO the ticketing policy was making a difference. (why would they be protesting if it wasn't?)

Old Posted Jul 24, 2009, 4:03 AM
senior something

I hadn't realized this, but as part of the watermain replacement through Central Park, they're putting in a new bike/pedestrian path over top. It's not quite complete yet, but it's got some nice lighting features by the looks of it.

I'm not the guy from Subway.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2009, 8:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared View Post
I hadn't realized this, but as part of the watermain replacement through Central Park, they're putting in a new bike/pedestrian path over top. It's not quite complete yet, but it's got some nice lighting features by the looks of it.
oh i was wondering what was going on there - i thought maybe a new road

Old Posted Jul 25, 2009, 2:56 AM
senior something

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
oh i was wondering what was going on there - i thought maybe a new road
I had seen them digging up the ground, but I assumed they were just doing utlities work. I hadn't realized they were putting in a new bike path as well. I guess it counts as the first part of the BC Parkway upgrades, though.

---------

Tried the Burrard Bridge during a rush hour for the first time today, it was much more relaxing than it used to be. Traffic wasn't backed up in the slightest, not even coming from Pacific. I guess people are getting used to the set-up.

I'm not the guy from Subway.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2009, 5:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzanine View Post
I drive from DT to BBY/HWY 1 regularly. People by oppenheimer park will just wander aimlesly into traffic. They will also cross on a yellow/new red. In this area, it is endemic, i see chinatown grandmas and hipsters wander out on crosswalks, but it is the most dishevelled and wasted people that have no regard for their surroundings that do this the most. powell/cordova is a major artery and truck route to DT, VPD HQ, industrial areas (sunrise poultry, etc) and the port.

most frustratingly (and why is support the crack down) is that until recently, this was tolerated behaviour, and traffic will slow down to not hit someone walking on a red. the lights there are coordinated, so flows can get quite steady quickly and a moron walking on a red there is like someone walking out on knight street. IMO the ticketing policy was making a difference. (why would they be protesting if it wasn't?)
http://www.straight.com/article-2405...s-walkers-risk

Note the photo of people crossing on a solid Dont Walk light.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 3:46 PM

Critical Mess?

Quote:
Police say it’s a protest protected by Charter rights — so they won’t be ticketing many of the 3,000 defiant cyclists expected to block Vancouver’s already jammed and sweltering downtown streets on Friday.

The Critical Mass bike ride, a gathering originally designed to protest the lack of dedicated bike lanes on city streets, takes off from the Vancouver Art Gallery between 5 and 6 p.m. for a freeform ride on the last Friday of every month.

The bikers, who have made considerable gains on lanes, now call it a celebration of cycling.

But over the past few months, it’s also “morphed into a source of major conflict between riders and the driving public,” says Insp. Rick McKenna, a police department emergency operational planner.

“Riders are often guilty of mischief and tactics that exacerbate the conflict,” McKenna says.

Last month, a Vancouver cyclist was assaulted by a disgruntled driver. In a 2008 Seattle event, a man reversed into two cyclists and was subsequently assaulted with a bike lock.

Both police and participants assume the unplanned route will end up at some point on the Burrard Street Bridge, which has already lost a lane to cyclists.

For motorists and pedestrians in the downtown core, the timing is tough.

“It’s probably our busiest weekend of the summer,” says VPD Const. Anne Longley. Some 10,000 people are expected at the 2009 World Police and Fire Games opening ceremony at GM Place downtown on Friday.

There’s also a parade at 5 p.m. from nearby Science World to GM Place.

The HSBC Celebration of Light fireworks on Saturday and the Vancouver Pride Parade and Festival on Sunday are expected to draw thousands of visitors to the city this weekend.

Coun. Geoff Meggs, who acts a liaison to the city’s Bicycle Advisory Committee, says the tension has reached a “boiling point” since the Burrard bridge lane opened July 13.

“There’s no doubt [that] the friction between automobiles and cyclists is rising,” says Meggs,

“Critical Mass organizers are not trying to poke their thumbs in the eyes of drivers, although I know a lot of drivers feel that’s the only reason they do it.”

“I’ve been stuck behind one of those Critical Masses, and as a driver who has to use his car, I can see how some people might get a little bit upset about it,” says Bernie Magman, chief economist for the Vancouver Board of Trade, which didn’t support the Burrard Street bike lane trial. “It’s like in the middle of rush hour: you’re moving along very slowly.

Coun. Suzanne Anton, a cyclist, agrees.

“It does annoy a lot of motorists,” said Anton, who notes it’s most frustrating and dangerous when the Critical Mass cyclists cross bridges.

“It can actually really cause people serious harm, because they get completely stuck. They can’t do anything.”

Officers will trail the ride on bicycles, motorcycles and in a squad car. They will intervene only when they see unsafe activity or drug and alcohol use, says McKenna.

Andrea Curtis, a Critical Mass cyclist, says she recognizes the frustration they’ll be causing drivers.

“I apologize for the inconvenience, but I really urge motorists to shut off their motors and accept the fact that we’re going to pass by.”

Curtis calls the Burrard bridge bike lane “a triumph” but says that it’s “just the beginning.”

As for the mass, “it’s only one day a month,” she says. “Our goal is to demonstrate and promote cycling as sustainable.”
http://www.theprovince.com/travel/Va...422/story.html

Any thoughts on this?

I'm an almost daily cycle commuter, I bike from Vancouver to Richmond 3-4 times a week. That being said, I think these people are idiots.

Just as things on the Burrard St bridge are settling in nicely. A controversial trial isn't as bad as many thought it would be. But now these Critical Mass people are hurting their cause. Any thoughts? How different is this from the homeless who wander across the streets whenever they want?

Now the police are telling drivers to stay off the roads downtown. There's a fine line between peaceful protest and civil disobedience. How about some tickets for all of these people riding without helmets?

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post

Any thoughts on this?

I'm an almost daily cycle commuter, I bike from Vancouver to Richmond 3-4 times a week. That being said, I think these people are idiots.
Totally agree. I cycle commute 3-4 days a week as well, and these people really dont help anyones cause, they just piss people off.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 4:22 PM
BANNED

How different is this from the homeless who wander across the streets whenever they want?

Now the police are telling drivers to stay off the roads downtown. There's a fine line between peaceful protest and civil disobedience. How about some tickets for all of these people riding without helmets?

[/QUOTE]

Don't judge anything by the media reports, Remember how wrong they were on Burrard Bridge. "Controversy" and conflict sells papers. Don't judge any group of people by media reports. Go and find out for yourself. There are a few "idiots" that go to Critical Mass just like there are a few idiot drivers on the streets. All and all, most of the cyclists in Critical Mass are fine and are respectful of others just like most motorists are.

Drivers kill 400 and injure tens of thousands of people in BC every year. Until this carnage is stopped, it is a poor use of police resources cracking down on cyclists who are not wearing helmets. If someone is only endangering themselves, that is their business. If they are endangering other people, that is when the police should take action.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racc View Post
Don't judge anything by the media reports, Remember how wrong they were on Burrard Bridge. "Controversy" and conflict sells papers. Don't judge any group of people by media reports. Go and find out for yourself. There are a few "idiots" that go to Critical Mass just like there are a few idiot drivers on the streets. All and all, most of the cyclists in Critical Mass are fine and are respectful of others just like most motorists are.
It is true that the majority are not idiots, but I have seen quite a few critical masses, and unfortunately the few idiots really do leave the wrong impression with the “average” person and ruin the whole point of the protest for the rest that are "peaceful".

Also, they could choose a better time - obviously they want high visibility, but a Friday afternoon on a long weekend during a heatwave just isn’t the best idea, along with all of the events downtown this weekend.

Hopefully the heat doesn’t get to people and this one doesn’t go the way of the one down in Seattle last year.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 4:39 PM
Transit User

Quote:
Originally Posted by racc View Post
Drivers kill 400 and injure tens of thousands of people in BC every year. Until this carnage is stopped, it is a poor use of police resources cracking down on cyclists who are not wearing helmets. If someone is only endangering themselves, that is their business. If they are endangering other people, that is when the police should take action.
Those look like exaggerated media reports to me. I have not personally witnessed anybody getting killed or injured by a car in well over a year.

racc, what is your overall vision and ultimate goal for this bike movement thing? Do you think that biking is going to become a major tranportation mode share - say 25-30% in Vancouver in any foreseeable future? Because I have doubts about that given the North American strong car culture combined with the immigrants coming here mostly to fulfill their dreams - own a car and a house (if they wanted to ride a bike they could have stayed home). I just don't see that you will have a buy in from anything close to even 10%.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure