HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 1:16 AM
Can I has a tunnel?

Chevy dealers are also required to install DC fast chargers that use the CCS Combo plug as part of selling their new Bolt.

I know Dueck's Downtown will be installing 3 CCS Combo plugs.

They'll get to be more common pretty soon. Also, CCS Combo is turning into the defacto standard. Chademo doesn't have enough maximum throughput. Theoretically CCS could convey several hundred kW, but the standard currently does 80kW, or so.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 1:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reecemartin View Post
Is is an actual network though? Who is running these chargers? Are they located at some type of station? Like Tesla Superchargers are pretty easily identifiable etc.
In the EV charging infrastructure parlance, "network" means "company which runs the chargers". By that terminology, there are several different "networks", including Sun Country and Greenlots - the latter of which seems to run most of the DC fast chargers that I've seen. I believe that BC Hydro has actually installed most of the fast chargers, and that Greenlots is contracted to manage them.

There's a smart phone app called "Plugshare" which makes it easy to find chargers based on the kind of connector that your EV uses.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 3:23 AM
YouTube Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Mackinnon View Post
Chevy dealers are also required to install DC fast chargers that use the CCS Combo plug as part of selling their new Bolt.

They'll get to be more common pretty soon. Also, CCS Combo is turning into the defacto standard. Chademo doesn't have enough maximum throughput. Theoretically CCS could convey several hundred kW, but the standard currently does 80kW, or so.
[Deleted]

Last edited by Reecemartin; Nov 17, 2020 at 6:49 PM.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 3:51 AM
Can I has a tunnel?

Quote:
That's surprising I thought I had heard Bolt didn't support DC fast charge, if that's the case then the Bolt just became even better in my mind (already excellent Imo)
It's CCS Combo. In the US I think they made it an option though

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 5:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Mackinnon View Post

What is the deal with charging your car at a dealer L3 charger? Does it cost? Do you have to have the same branded car, or buy specifically from that dealer?

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 6:13 AM
Can I has a tunnel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
What is the deal with charging your car at a dealer L3 charger? Does it cost? Do you have to have the same branded car, or buy specifically from that dealer?

Who knows yet? Its all speculation at this point. Probably some free if your car is bought there, but I'd imagine they would charge after a while.

My Volt only does up to L2 anyways.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 7:38 AM

Quote:
That's all up to the dealer. But it's mostly a moot point because it's far less convenient to charge at a dealer or anywhere else for that matter than it is for you to just plug the car in when you get home. Let it charge overnight, unplug it in the morning and you're good to go. No different than how you use your smart phone. The only time most people would need to use a public charging station is when they're on road trips away from their home.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 11:17 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
I believe I read that Quebec was building a network of fast chargers on their highways, is a similar programming planned for BC? Im as big of a Tesla fan as anyone, but it would certainly be great if they'd work with other automakers to create a standard for fast charge. Their current network is actually unbelievable, but if you created a good pricing scheme and brought in other automakers it would be better especially for advancing adoption.
Here is the website. It also shows charging stations outside Quebec:

https://lecircuitelectrique.com/find-a-station

The closest one to me is about 800 m from my house.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen5698 View Post
That's all up to the dealer. But it's mostly a moot point because it's far less convenient to charge at a dealer or anywhere else for that matter than it is for you to just plug the car in when you get home. Let it charge overnight, unplug it in the morning and you're good to go. No different than how you use your smart phone. The only time most people would need to use a public charging station is when they're on road trips away from their home.
L3 charging is pretty quick though. I can see it being used by locals if made available, especially if your option at home is L1 (like in a condo).

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 5:40 PM

Quote:
L3 charging is pretty quick though. I can see it being used by locals if made available, especially if your option at home is L1 (like in a condo).
But the huge, huge advantage of L1 charging at your condo is that it happens overnight while you sleep. Much better than sitting around waiting for half an hour or more at an L3 charger.

It's not about the charging speed, it's about how much of your useful time it consumes.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen5698 View Post
But the huge, huge advantage of L1 charging at your condo is that it happens overnight while you sleep. Much better than sitting around waiting for half an hour or more at an L3 charger.

It's not about the charging speed, it's about how much of your useful time it consumes.
L1 charging can sometimes take more time than you have available. L3 at a place where you can run errands is very helpful. L3 charge for 30 mins while you get groceries, have lunch, etc. Right now most malls have L2 charging, which doesn't do very much in the 30-60 mins you might be there.

Obviously L3 charging is a lot more expensive, but there's a willingness to pay there as well.

I noticed Oakridge is expanding their EV charging with more L2. It's nice to have a free charge while you shop, but the overall impact isn't great.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 5:55 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Condo towers aren't equipped to supply power to feed charging stations. Even the newest ones that have power run to 15% of the stalls can not handle the load if the other stalls were to get install chargers. We are in the process of having to upgrade our transformers now to supply the future load envisioned. This is a major expense and one most stratas will balk at as long as possible.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
Condo towers aren't equipped to supply power to feed charging stations. Even the newest ones that have power run to 15% of the stalls can not handle the load if the other stalls were to get install chargers. We are in the process of having to upgrade our transformers now to supply the future load envisioned. This is a major expense and one most stratas will balk at as long as possible.
It's going to get more important as EV usage expands and buyers expect to have a charging facility. We're obviously not there yet, but the time will come where condo owners will take a hit on the selling price if the unit doesn't include a parking stall with an EV charger.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 6:38 PM

Turn the chargers on between 10 PM and 6 AM.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 9:55 PM

Quote:
I noticed Oakridge is expanding their EV charging with more L2. It's nice to have a free charge while you shop, but the overall impact isn't great.
L2 isn't so bad, especially if you can use it while you're otherwise doing errands during the day. Even if you're stuck at a max charge rate of 3.3 kW (which most hybrids have), you're still adding 15km of range per hour.

If your car can accept 6.6 kW then you're adding about 30km of range per hour which is probably more than a half day's driving for most people who commute into Vancouver from outside the CoV. For those that live and work within Vancouver, it's probably an entire day's range.

Last edited by Jebby; Feb 26, 2017 at 2:26 AM.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 9:56 PM

Quote:
How does this work then? Do they turn off stalls or do they simply lower the load per stall and therefore increase charging times?

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 10:37 PM

Quote:
New Vancouver building code (2012?) stipulate that the electrical room must be sized to be upgradeable to supply power to all stalls.

I believe The Arc is supplying power to 100% of the stalls.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2017, 2:38 AM

Quote:
New Vancouver building code (2012?) stipulate that the electrical room must be sized to be upgradeable to supply power to all stalls.

I believe The Arc is supplying power to 100% of the stalls.
240V at each stall? Or just a standard outlet?

Old Posted Feb 26, 2017, 3:11 AM
YouTube Creator

[Deleted]

Last edited by Reecemartin; Nov 17, 2020 at 6:49 PM.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2017, 4:12 AM

Electric carts are perfect for Vancouver, but I think the lack of charging stations is what's holding them back, not the cars themselves. People living in the most urbanized areas of the city do not have a garage, so they have no where to charge their vehicle.

THe price of batteries are dropping fast and it won't be long til an E car is priced comparably to an ICE car. The change over is going to happen faster than people realize. Most likely my next car will be electric.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure