HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jul 7, 2017, 1:04 AM
Images of cityscapes

Rotterdam, Netherlands (April-June 2017)

All photos taken in April to June 2017.

3. Euromast observation tower, the lower part was completed in 1960 and extended in 1970 to a height of 185 meters (606 ft).

9. Erasmus Bridge with a single 139 meter high (456 ft) pylon.

12. Splashtours amphibian bus tour.

13. SS Rotterdam, a former ocean liner and cruise ship that sailed from 1959 until 2000.

14. The ship has been restored to its former glory with many of its original artworks.

15. Since 2010 the SS Rotterdam is a hotel, museum and has several restaurants and bars.

17. Quays along the river Rhine.

18. The Hef, a vertical-lift railroad bridge from 1927. Not anymore in use since 1993.

23. View towards Rotterdam Central Railway Station.

35. Artwork in the Boijmans van Beuningen museum.

36. Spido harbour tours.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2017, 7:45 AM

Looks like America now.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 5:52 PM

Awesome pictures! I really, really enjoyed Rotterdam when I was there last summer. I found it to be very livable, youthful, and vibrant. The new train station is beautiful, and the city has such great access to Amsterdam (27 mins from R. Centraal to A. Centraal), The Hague, Schiphol Airport, and it seemed like just about anywhere else nearby you'd like to go. The bike infrastructure was among the best I've ever seen, and easily outdoes Amsterdam (this is helped by the fact that the streets have more ROW to work with, and less tourist traffic). The architecture feels fresh and forward thinking, and outside the very modern city center, the neighborhoods were quiet, leafy, and full of beautiful row-homes that reminded me a lot of London - probably due to the way the city boomed as a port during the industrial revolution. I only wish I could have experienced the city before the bombing of WWII.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2017, 6:22 AM

Pro is legal, gam is legal, dru is legal, man ... thats

Old Posted Jul 12, 2017, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr1138 View Post
I only wish I could have experienced the city before the bombing of WWII.
I suspect it wouldn't have grown this modern, avant-garde or successful if it hadn't been bombed out, almost completely war-torn.
It would be just another "cute beautiful historic little European town". We have more than enough of these already.
This is far far more interesting when we need more grand modern districts like this.

I wish Le Havre had followed more of the same path BTW. Unfortunately, it was completely rebuilt way too fast, in 20 or so years by following some French-style large planning. Then UNESCO somehow found some way to add it to their heritage list, so I assume its downtown has to widely remain untouched now.

Rotterdam is much more of a free town, as shown by their sexy skyline and collection of contemporary buildings.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2017, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
I suspect it wouldn't have grown this modern, avant-garde or successful if it hadn't been bombed out, almost completely war-torn.
It would be just another "cute beautiful historic little European town". We have more than enough of these already.
This is far far more interesting when we need more grand modern districts like this.

I wish Le Havre had followed more of the same path BTW. Unfortunately, it was completely rebuilt way too fast, in 20 or so years by following some French-style large planning. Then UNESCO somehow found some way to add it to their heritage list, so I assume its downtown has to widely remain untouched now.

Rotterdam is much more of a free town, as shown by their sexy skyline and collection of contemporary buildings.
These were actually very similar to the thoughts I had when I was there. I hesitate to say so however, because I wouldn't want to suggest that the wholesale destruction of a historic city is ever a positive thing.

That said, the Dutch have some of the most striking modern architecture I have seen anywhere, and it is a bit of a blessing in disguise that they have the opportunity to build daring, eye-catching buildings in the heart of their primary financial/business/port city. Not in some edge-city business park like most Euro skyscraper districts either, right in the city center! What's most encouraging is that they are actually tearing down some of the mid-century schlock that was thrown up after the war to make way for innovative 21st century buildings. There is also so much more about design and construction in this city that makes it an urban-nerd paradise... from the culture of boat restoration and associated museum, to the brownfield redevelopment of 19th century industrial areas south of the river, state-of-the art transit and bicycle infrastructure, and beautiful residential neighborhoods and parks outside the city center. I couldn't help but feel that this city may someday make it onto the regular tourism circuit - but for now, it feels like a fresh escape from the rat-race of touristy Amsterdam.

Granted, I LOVE Amsterdam too, and feel torn about the fact that Rotterdam likely used to have a similar historic feel to it. But the unbelievably easy and quick access between the two cities is part of what makes the region so world class. Holland is very, very lucky to have both a historic and artistic treasure such as Amsterdam, as well as a place to build for the 21st century.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 11:28 PM
Gatinois et fier

look almost like a north american city.

GATINEAU-OTTAWA=1 300 000
gatinopolis.miniville.fr
gatinopolis.miniville.fr/ind

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 7:59 PM
hemelschraper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr1138 View Post
...Holland is very, very lucky to have both a historic and artistic treasure such as Amsterdam, as well as a place to build for the 21st century.
Still, there's more to see and enjoy than just Amsterdam and Rotterdam. Like Groningen.

Splendid compositions and urban scenes cityskyscrapers.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos