HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

55 Hudson Yards in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 4:08 AM

Smile NEW YORK | 55 Hudson Yards | 780 FT | 51 FLOORS

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/busines...ntent=Business
Extell’s One Hudson Yards is set to soar

By Steve Cuozzo

Quote:
Extell chief Gary Barnett is reviving a long-dormant, $ 1-billion Far West Side development project — and he’s brashly named it “One Hudson Yards” even though it’s technically not part of the rail yards site.

Extell just tapped Jones Lang LaSalle to find tenants for the 56-story, 1.7 million square office tower to rise on the east blockfront of 11th Avenue between W. 33rd and 34th streets. The project was first announced in 2009, when Barnett was to partner with Israel Green in what was then called the World Product Center. But plans for the arresting, Kohn Pedersen Fox-designed tower went on hold. Extell and Green parted ways and the site is today an empty lot.

Now, Barnett’s again itching to build. “We believe we have the best location in the area, on terra firma [rather than above a rail yard]. We’re right at the new No. 7 line subway station, at the foot of a new park and across from the Javits Convention Center,” he said.

Barnett won’t start construction without pre-leasing half the tower — “at the rents we’re going to charge, it would be suicidal,” he said. Asked what the rents might be, he said with a laugh, “Between $50 and $100 a square foot.”

Related Cos. is the designated developer of the Hudson Yards rail site bounded by 10th and 12th avenues and West 30th-33rd streets. Extell’s site is just north of it in what city officials call the “Hudson Yards area.”

Was Barnett worried the name might steam up Related chief Stephen M. Ross?

“I’m not interested in steaming up anybody, much less Steve Ross,” Barnett told us.

But Ross fumed, “I don’t know why he is trying to deceive tenants and the public.”

Barnett said he’s cooperated closely with the MTA on the new subway station and helped the agency assemble the site. He said station construction also put in place some of the foundation for his tower, which will reduce Extell’s cost and allow it to build swiftly.

“We have the ability to begin vertical construction by the end of the year,” he said, “and the ability for our tenants to do their buildouts in 2015.”

Finding tenants is a job for JLL’s Derek Trulson, Frank Doyle and Randy Abend — who will target high-profile users.

Extell owned the site for years. “Then, the No. 7 line idea came along,” Barnett chuckled. “Lo and behold, this was where the only train stop was going to be at Hudson Yards.” The station with an undulating entrance canopy by Toshiko Mori is to open in 2015.
Nice to see this one back in play, can't wait for it to rise.

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 4:20 AM

Assuming this is roughly similar to the previous plans, this will be another supertall. There are dozens of potential supertalls in the Hudson Yards vicinity.

But I'm more concerned with design, not height. KPF usually does pretty good office towers, so that's a promising sign.

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 4:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
But I'm more concerned with design, not height. KPF usually does pretty good office towers, so that's a promising sign.
What do you thik are the odds of the WPC design being recycled?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 5:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
What do you thik are the odds of the WPC design being recycled?
I doubt it since that tower was fine tuned for the medical services industry.

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 9:39 AM

56 floors eh? Could be anywhere from 750-1000 feet

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 11:25 AM
New Yorker for life

The number of floors are about the same, but from the rendering in the Post, it looks similar, yet different...

Old

New

That's an old rendering of Related's mixed-use tower in the background, the proximity of the towers shown below...

I've been looking forward to this one coming back with completion nearing for the 7 station. Both this site and the Girasole site are situated directly above the station.

Quote:
Related Cos. is the designated developer of the Hudson Yards rail site bounded by 10th and 12th avenues and West 30th-33rd streets. Extell’s site is just north of it in what city officials call the “Hudson Yards area.”

Was Barnett worried the name might steam up Related chief Stephen M. Ross? “I’m not interested in steaming up anybody, much less Steve Ross,” Barnett told us. But Ross fumed, “I don’t know why he is trying to deceive tenants and the public.”

Barnett said he’s cooperated closely with the MTA on the new subway station and helped the agency assemble the site. He said station construction also put in place some of the foundation for his tower, which will reduce Extell’s cost and allow it to build swiftly.

“We have the ability to begin vertical construction by the end of the year,” he said, “and the ability for our tenants to do their buildouts in 2015.”
No need for anybody to get snippy. The Hudson Yards is vast, and anyone who follows such things knows Extell's tower is just one of many in the Hudson Yards district. I would have thought Barnett would use a "Hudson Boulevard" address like the Girasole though. When that is built out, it will become synonamous with the Hudson Yards.

But it's clear why this could be a little too close for Related's comfort...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...455802118.html

Time Warner on the Prowl

Laura Kusisto
4/16/12

Quote:
Time Warner, which is searching for 4 million square feet of space, plans at last to send out its requests for proposals. The media conglomerate, which owns its offices in Columbus Circle and leases space at 1100 and 1271 Sixth Ave., is looking at a wide range of options for when the leases come due, according to multiple people familiar with the matter.

The company is weighing some 20 sites, the people said, including Hudson Yards, the World Trade Center, and other sites on the far west side owned by Sherwood Equities Inc., Brookfield Office Properties Inc. Extell Development Co.

Time Warner intends to have a deal for a new space or to stay in place by the end of the year, according to a person familiar with the process. That could be good news for developers like Related and Brookfield, which are scrambling to land a tenant so they can get major new projects off the ground.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...02304050304577
374281031930856.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

A Deal for Time Warner

April 30, 2012
Laura Kusisto

Quote:
Late Friday afternoon, Time Warner sent out requests for proposals to virtually all of the city's largest developers including Sherwood Equities Inc., Brookfield Office Properties Inc., Extell Development, Related Cos., Boston Properties Inc., Rockefeller Group, Vornado Realty Trust, Alloy Development and Silverstein Properties. The company plans to make a decision by the end of the year.

Grab some popcorn, and watch the show...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; May 29, 2012 at 11:50 AM.

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 11:39 AM

It looks pretty similar to the original proposal. Definitely feels like a KPF design.

Original proposal was 1,011 ft., so probably something thereabouts.

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 1:42 PM
New Yorker for life

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2012/0...dson_yards.php

Developer Not-So-Subtly Lays Claim to Piece of Hudson Yards

Tuesday, May 29, 2012, by Sara Polsky

Quote:
Fresh off the victory of NYC's biggest deal ever, the $90 million penthouse sale at One57, Extell's Gary Barnett has renewed energy for big plays in NYC real estate. Big plays with the potential to enrage fellow developers. Just what we like to see on the Tuesday after a long weekend! Barnett is reviving a 56-story office tower once planned for the east side of 11th Avenue between 33rd and 34th streets, according to the Post. And the Kohn Pedersen Fox-designed building will be called One Hudson Yards—even though it isn't part of Hudson Yards. Uh oh.

Barnett swears he isn't "interested in steaming up anybody," including Related head Stephen Ross. But Ross is already accusing Barnett of "trying to deceive tenants and the public," so we don't think Barnett's denials will change anything here. Maybe Barnett was just trying to keep up the One theme of building naming? Barnett tells the Post construction on One Hudson Yards could begin by the end of the year, with tenants doing buildouts in 2015.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 2:02 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

I'm surprised he's marketing it as One Hudson Yard instead of One Hudson Boulevard.

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 3:09 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalziand View Post
I'm surprised he's marketing it as One Hudson Yard instead of One Hudson Boulevard.
That's exactly what I thought.

http://observer.com/2012/05/gary-bar...-hudson-yards/

Gary Barnett Goes Head-to-Head with Steve Ross at Hudson Yards

By Matt Chaban
May 29, 2012

Quote:
In our recent profile of Gary Barnett, The Observer included a litany of things done by Extell that Mr. Barnett considers to be “the best.” It is easily his favorite phrase, so a number of these superlatives were left on the editing room floor—the piece would have been twice as long, otherwise. One of those “bests” was 500 West 34th Street, previously known as the World Product Centre. “It’s the best site in all of Hudson Yards,” Mr. Barnett told us at the time. “It’s overlooking everything, and it’s right on top of the new subway.

That is almost exactly what he told the Post‘s Steve Cuozzo in revealing that the project is back on. So singular is the project Extell is now calling it One Hudson Yards. As you can imagine, the developer across the street actually developing the 26-acre megadevelopment of the same name was none too pleased with the announcement. Was Barnett worried the name might steam up Related chief Stephen M. Ross? “I’m not interested in steaming up anybody, much less Steve Ross,” Barnett told us. But Ross fumed, “I don’t know why he is trying to deceive tenants and the public.”

Oh that Gary Barnett—so coy! But the name is not the only thing underscoring his savvy on this project. Consider how he managed to get the MTA to help prep the site for his tower to rise. As the battle for tenants heats up—not only at Hudson Yards but the World Trade Center, too, and possibly even Midtown East as a rezoning of the area is underway—it will be interesting to see how these towers take shape and who of the development titans can claim victory.

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
New

Seeing as the new design is still very similiar to the old one, should the old WPC diagram be re-used for this tower, at least in the short term?

Also, 15 supertalls in NYC at various stages of construction, approval and proposal

Last edited by Eidolon; May 29, 2012 at 3:42 PM. Reason: spelling

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 5:03 PM

Wow this race is heating up quickly! Because of Barnett's success with One 57 that does give me some confidence he could get this one done. Right now though its anyones game, a lot of high rollers going after the loot!

Can someone pass the popcorn?

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
Wow this race is heating up quickly! Because of Barnett's success with One 57 that does give me some confidence he could get this one done. Right now though its anyones game, a lot of high rollers going after the loot!

Can someone pass the popcorn?
Completely agree. Barnett is a boss.

I adored the WPC, so I really hope they reuse the design, but as someone else said, KPF does nice work so I'm sure they'll come up with something nice.

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 6:23 PM

I don't know how to create a thread on my own, and not sure if this would fit in an existing thread, but since this is the most active proposal page today, though I would post this here. Looks like Silverstein is planning a large residential and retail tower on the far west side, supposedly in excess of 60 stories. From today from the Real Deal...

http://therealdeal.com/blog/2012/05/...-retail-tower/

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackster99 View Post
I don't know how to create a thread on my own, and not sure if this would fit in an existing thread, but since this is the most active proposal page today, though I would post this here. Looks like Silverstein is planning a large residential and retail tower on the far west side, supposedly in excess of 60 stories. From today from the Real Deal...

http://therealdeal.com/blog/2012/05/...-retail-tower/
Done

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=199640

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 6:37 PM

I think the design has been altered... the WPC was for 1.2 MSF while this will contain 1.7 MSF. It could be taller or just bulkier.

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 11:40 PM

Gary Barnett is my new favorite New Yorker. He is from NY right? I assume he is since he's completely renewing the skyline, but he could just be a nice guy. Does he have any experience with office towers? Or is this his first?

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 11:55 PM
World Machine

This along with the 'unofficial' Silverstein announcement is very positive news! What's more positive is how so much competition is being ignited amongst the major developers that will in turn trigger numerous sizable additions to the city. A very exciting decade or two we have ahead of us.

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 12:35 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Boston View Post
Gary Barnett is my new favorite New Yorker. He is from NY right? I assume he is since he's completely renewing the skyline, but he could just be a nice guy. Does he have any experience with office towers? Or is this his first?
Before he became developer, Barnett was a diamond trader in Belgium. This isn't his first major office project. Before this, he's done his Gem tower in the Diamond District.

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 1:07 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybackribs2314 View Post
I think the design has been altered... the WPC was for 1.2 MSF while this will contain 1.7 MSF. It could be taller or just bulkier.
I thought it looked bulkier from that rendering. It has about the same number of floors, but who knows what the height will be at this point. It could be taller than the Coach tower, Barnett isn't shy about that. Remember, he also proposed a 980 ft hotel for the convention center a few blocks north before that was canceled.

http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/2012...rds-skyscraper

Extell Announces New 56-Story Hudson Yards Skyscraper

May 29, 2012
By Mathew Katz

Quote:

If you want a piece of Hudson Yards, now's the time to get it. Owners of a massive new 56-story office tower set to rise on the north end of the new Hudson Yards district has begun looking for tenants. One Hudson Yards, the new 1.7-million-square-foot tower will take up the entire block on the east side of 11th Avenue between West 33rd and 34th streets. The new skyscraper will be steps from the entrance to the 7 Train extension, set for completion at the end of 2013.

Unlike other Hudson Yards developments, which will be build on a platform above the active Western Rail Yards, the new tower will be built on solid ground — a fact that developer Extell claims will allow it to go up cheaper and faster than some of the other office spaces in the new neighborhood.

"If you looked at a map of the Hudson Yards district, our site is dead center, smack in the middle," Extell President Gary Barnett said in a statement. "In addition to great architecture and a superb location, we’re also offering the most competitive rents in the Hudson Yards district."

Each floor will offer roughly 32,000 square feet of Class A office space. A spokesman for the developer could not confirm rental prices for the building, but rumors have them hovering between $50 to $100 per square foot.

One Hudson Yards — which is technically not in Related's Hudson Yards development, but in the greater Hudson Yards area — was originally announced in 2009 as the World Product Center. That project was eventually put on hold.

Last edited by NYguy; May 30, 2012 at 1:22 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive