HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Apr 8, 2014, 9:29 PM

IMO, the ideal speed limits:

* 75 mph (or more?) on freeways, unless design standards suggest otherwise (which typically is the case in urban areas, but if 75 can be maintained, go ahead)

* 65 mph on rural 4-lane highways

* 55 mph on rural 2-lane highways

Old Posted Apr 8, 2014, 11:14 PM
BANNED

75 mph seems awfully slow for a train, no?

Old Posted May 3, 2014, 8:49 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Florida legislature gives green light to 75 mph speed limits

Quote:
After a sometimes-emotional debate, a divided Florida House on Wednesday gave final approval to a proposal that could lead to 75 mph speed limits on some highways.

The House voted 58-56 to pass the bill (SB 392), which was backed by the Senate last week. It now goes to Gov. Rick Scott.
Opponents said increasing speed limits would lead to more deadly crashes, with Rep. Irv Slosberg, D-Boca Raton, telling the House that speed played a role in an accident that killed one of his daughters.
"You just never want to get that call,'' Slosberg said. "A lot of us have kids and grandkids and you never want to get that call, your daughter died in a car crash."

The bill would allow maximum speed limits of 75 mph on limited-access highways, up from the current 70 mph. It also would allow speed limits of 70 mph on other four-lane, divided highways outside urban areas, up from the current 65 mph.

But the measure's supporters said the ultimate decisions about whether to raise speed limits would be left up to the Florida Department of Transportation. The agency would decide the safest speeds for highways, they said.
=====================================
May 1, 2014
http://www.bizjournals.com/jacksonvi...to-75-mph.html

Old Posted May 8, 2014, 3:28 PM

The illusion that progress is increasing the speed limit.

http://www.vtpi.org/gentraf.pdf

Old Posted May 8, 2014, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
Speed limits go up, more people complain about gas prices. Go figure.
Everyone is putting this in the safety perspective - let the irresponsible die - preferably before they reproduce.

To use less power (for any of a multitude of good reasons) you must pay attention to the LAW as laid down by GOD (or something like that).

E = M*V*V

ergo ... Florida hates Jesus

Old Posted May 30, 2014, 9:24 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I don't think this will be happening.
------------------------------------------

Scott will veto 75 mph speed limit bill

Florida Gov. Rick Scott.

Quote:
Days after attending the funeral of a state trooper, Gov. Rick Scott said Tuesday he will veto a bill that would allow drivers to go 75 miles an hour on Florida highways.

“I’m going to stand with law enforcement,” Scott said. “I want everybody to stay safe. I don’t want anyone to be injured, so I’m going to veto that bill.”

Scott declared his opposition five days after he went to the funeral of a Florida Highway Patrol trooper who was struck and killed by a passing pickup truck while investigating an accident on Interstate 75 in Ocala. The victim, Chelsea Renee Richard, died a week before her 31st birthday and on the day that her boyfriend, also a trooper, planned to ask her to marry him.

Richard, a nine-year veteran of the FHP, is survived by a 4-year-old son. Two others, a tow truck driver and his friend, also were killed in the May 3 crash.

At Richard’s funeral last Thursday, another trooper, Tod Cloud, urged Scott to veto the bill, saying it “wasn’t a bright idea” for the state to promote faster driving and that people “do not drive with common sense” on I-75.

Contrary to pushing for higher speeds, Cloud said the state should reduce the speed limit on I-75 to 55 when the road surface is wet from rain.

Scott said Cloud made a “convincing” case, adding: “He was very passionate about it. He’s very concerned about troopers being out there on the highway and people driving too fast. By doing this, we’re doing the right thing.”
==============================
http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/05/1...#storylink=cpy

Old Posted Jun 8, 2014, 2:55 AM
An Optimistic Realist

Probably one the few times liberals could agree with him.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2014, 3:04 PM
life is good

Excellent move Governor Scott.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation