HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Mar 4, 2013, 10:04 PM

I'm getting trolled by a mod. CONFLICTION.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2013, 10:10 PM

lol a rumor and insight is not trolling lol it's the intent

Old Posted Mar 4, 2013, 10:17 PM

see

Quote:
In Internet slang, a troll (pron.: /ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is someone who posts inflammatory,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as a forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[3]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)

it has to do with the intent of provoking readers into an emotional response and it takes away from the normal conversation

Old Posted Mar 4, 2013, 10:19 PM

I'm just saying not to post about things just to get people going, and if you know it's not true then say so ..

Old Posted Mar 5, 2013, 1:31 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

I wanted to refresh my memory on what was posted about the rumoured Proposal 23, and since most of this was posted in the main development thread, I'm quoting them here as I thought it would be interesting to put it all together:

Jan 1:
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher_chafe View Post
Guys of the forum......... for those of you who love Kings Wharf (as much as I do), expect a MAJOR announcement either last week of Feb or First week of March. I have to be a debbie downer on this however as the design they went with will involve a road realignment, and we can be rest assured that NORWAY will hear the screams from O'Leary. My good friend just showed me the render on his PC and while it is stunningly beautiful there is no way this will pass council......unless there is a Miracle of some sort.

Jan 2:
Quote:
Ryan we are not talking about only a few towers, I am talking about with the strong possibility that this project will get shot down, not only will we get the chance to finally change the Bowerings site for the better, but we will also no longer get the possibility to get EA Games/BioWare to open shop here in St. John's. They were going to be the anchor employer in the Office Tower portion. Now I am sorry if I offended you with the Camera reference, but I would much prefer to see 200 young smart educated people working(that's what they would be hiring if they open here) making good pay (their secretary's start off at 48k a year) rather than keeping Water Street and the HR Front stagnant and stale so people can take pictures.
Jan 2:
Quote:
The design that they went with, which is the most economically feasible for this company was to tear down the Bowerings building all together and build 3 bulidings on that site. With the Office Tower taking up part of Harbor Drive almost right back to the apron.

EA Games/Bioware already had an agreement in principle with the developer to purchase 6 floors of the 22 story building and set up a state of the art development centre here in St. John's as they know and are aware of the talent that reside here in NL when it comes to the Gaming industry (after all close to 35% of their employees in Edmonton, Vancouver and Montreal are from here). They were starting off in the 200 jobs range and obviously hiring more as time went on, plus they were not part time nor minimum wage jobs that this city is so well known for. A secretary would make $48k a year (with no experience) or someone in my shoes with 7 years experience in the Web Sector would make in excess of 100K. In case you guys are wondering where I got the information about EA games.....they are the company that I am going working in Edmonton starting Feb 11.

The design would be very similar to Kings Wharf in Darthmouth, NS. So forgive me if I sound so passionate about a proposal that would undoubtedly put this city on the map.
Jan 2:
Quote:
Office/Retail tower would be 22/23 storeys (with storeys 1-6 being retail)
Building 1 (Apartments/Condos) 13 storeys
Building 2 (Parking/Retail) majority of parking according to them COULD be done underground. As for the height of that building I am not really certain.
This could have been the 10 storey one they were proposing for water street
side.
And Townie709 Thanks for the congrats!!!!! I am as giddy as a baby on Christmas Morning.
Jan 2:
Quote:
It would have been Becks Cove and what ever the one is called between AP and SC. Harbor Drive would be blocked as well from those streets. When I meant alignment i meant in traffic flow and not in size.
Jan 2:
Quote:
Signal....they are awaiting for EVERY BLOODY REPORT possibily needed to be done. LUNAR, WIND STUDY, TRAFFIC STUDY.

They want to go into a war with their guns fully loaded and more to reload if necessary.
Jan 2:
Quote:
My Son........Fortis will seem like a puppy dog compared to this developer. They are fully aware of what they are getting into. I do hope however they are smart enough to bring EA GAMES/BIOWARE into the battle as well!!
Jan 2:
Quote:
Signal........reaching out to Duff & O'Leary will be a complete waste of time as BOTH are 100% dead set against this. They both have seen this rendering and both know what will be proposed......It is useless, they are better to put their attention to the other Councillors who are in favor of this, as from what I understand it would only be 3 against (if you include the one on the fence), which means the majority of Council are for this proposal.
Jan 2:
Quote:
I do........it will be the executive floor for BioWare/EA Games. There is a resturant planed for Floor 7
Jan 2:
Quote:
I will do my best over the next cpl of weeks to see if I can obtain a copy of the design. IF i can get it, prob wont be until the day before they announce it, or maybe not at all due to the fiasco of the HAPPY CITY rendering of the fence.
Jan 2:
Quote:
As an update..... it will be announced before March 1st, and I will be able to get my hands on a render of the development before i leave on Feb 5. As for Bioware ( I got chastised for opening my mouth), they are indeed coming however they will not be here untill late 2015 and ONLY if project is approved and completed on time.
Jan 2:
Quote:
Ya but its all good.....I took screen shots of the comments and emailed them to the HR person to show how well received they would be here.

With that being said tho......I am gonna be watching my words closely over next month as I don't wanna get ma ass into shi**.
Jan 28, from this thread:
Quote:
Here's an update on the 2 I mentioned.
Expect to hear about "23" on March 11. As for Fortis.....their revamped proposal is still slated for the fall, depending on the outcome of Sept 24. . . .

Now, my opinion - I don't think the poster would have made this stuff up on his own.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2013, 1:48 AM
Millennial Ascendancy

My only thought is that if it got out that someone within MY company, or in the know regarding my company (which it seems was the case with Chris), was leaking information that otherwise wasn't public, they would be muzzled and cut off from more info (if not fired). Dates also shift, easily and frequently.

I looked up the site in question at the Registry of Deeds and it WAS purchased by a company within the past year, and the company that bought it had a generic name and was clearly set up for no other reason than to purchase the property. This happens all the time. It is common practice for different properties to be placed into different companies by developers. But in my opinion, from looking at a pile of these documents all the time, it seems as if it was purchased with the intent to develop, based on how it happened.

It wouldn't surprise me if there is some truth to the fact that someone wants to develop the site. Whether or not there is any truth to March 11th, or to 20 stories, or to who the developer is remains to be seen. Maybe nothing will come of it, but in my humble opinion, all signs point to something on the go down there.

We'll see.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2013, 2:49 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

^ That also makes it much more believable, as that is exactly what could happen in preparation for redevelopment.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2013, 3:07 AM

could be.. like I said we'll just have to wait and see, I hope there's some large developments in the works would be cool

Old Posted Mar 5, 2013, 3:28 AM

There might be a major development in the works, but I'm still going with major trolling. If Deacon still cannot find an anchor tenant and as a result, might not start this year, I find it had to believe that a 23 story office tower will be filled, even with an anchor tenant lined up.

As much as I would like to believe it, there is no way I am until I see an official news release.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2013, 3:33 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

These things ultimately depend upon financing. This location would be easier to sell, if somethiing were approved, than the Deacon location. If you have enough money behind you, anything can be built, even without an anchor tenant. In a good economy you will see more risks taken with speculative development.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2013, 12:35 PM

Knowning who posted the rumor, I would be SHOCKED if it were true. I knew all along that there was little chance of it being true.

Can't say i'm 100% sure that there is nothing in the works, but I'm will to say 99.9% haha

Old Posted Mar 5, 2013, 1:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwspencer38 View Post
Knowning who posted the rumor, I would be SHOCKED if it were true. I knew all along that there was little chance of it being true.

Can't say i'm 100% sure that there is nothing in the works, but I'm will to say 99.9% haha
It sounds like you know him personally.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2013, 1:19 PM

Suppose you could say that

Old Posted Mar 11, 2013, 12:54 PM

oh look at the date

Old Posted Mar 11, 2013, 1:06 PM

Too bad, I had fantasies of a true highrise that incorporated the facade of the original (pre-1892) Bowring's building... I can still dream!

What the building looked like pre- and post 1892:

Pic from Heritage Newfoundland

EDIT: Apparently that isn't the Bowring's building, it's the Baird Building. Does anyone know where it was, and what happened to it? I love the original look

Old Posted Mar 11, 2013, 1:54 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
oh look at the date
Isn't it supposed to be the day of a big announcement?

Old Posted Mar 11, 2013, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
Isn't it supposed to be the day of a big announcement?
yes sir

Old Posted Mar 11, 2013, 2:21 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

I'll keep checking, LOL, I'm now thinking its just someone's fantasy.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2013, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
I'll keep checking, LOL, I'm now thinking its just someone's fantasy.
Join the club

Old Posted Mar 11, 2013, 3:52 PM

There is nothing of sorts mentioned on the agenda for today's meeting. So if this development does exist, it looks like it won't be unveiled today.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's