HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 22, 2012, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
but....got a point!
But, one less point than Florida. Single points are fine against Western teams, but for division games an overtime loss puts the Jets further back in the standings.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2012, 7:34 PM
BANNED

Neat article on the Jets (and Winnipeg)

http://blogs.artvoice.com/avdaily/20...promises-kept/

Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 12:46 AM
BANNED

it’s time Claude Noel goes....I know that isn’t probably politically correct for me to say on this Marxist website...but the man has no clue how to coach a team.....full stop. I’m sure my comment will be deleted as something racist within hours.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 1:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayward_prince View Post
it’s time Claude Noel goes....I know that isn’t probably politically correct for me to say on this Marxist website...but the man has no clue how to coach a team.....full stop. I’m sure my comment will be deleted as something racist within hours.
And here I was concerned that you weren't classy.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 1:32 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

if u want i can delete u post

Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 1:32 AM
BANNED

Quote:
I'm more concerned about the team's management. The Jets desperately need a reliable offensive player who can put up 60 points a year. GM Kevin Cheveldayoff has done absolutely nothing to address this issue, which is concerning, to say the least.

The Jets need to pull off a trade for a couple of forwards, if they have any hope of making the playoffs.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 4:11 AM

I think people have to realize that the goal was not to make the playoffs this year. If it happened, then wonderful. A great home stand in December in my opinion raised expectations above what the talent level on this team could deliver.

We play extremely hard. Effort is not our issue. We just do not have any finish and that is not something that is easily solved. 30 goals scorers do not grow on trees, and a team like ours is in no position to start mortgaging the future (picks) for talent that is in 'now' mode. Some fans might not like it, but even if we did hypothetically mortgage our future to squeak into the playoffs, we simply do not have the assets to go toe-to-toe with the Rangers or Bruins, and that is not going to change regardless of what trades are made.

Team building is organic if you want to do it right. Pittsburgh was some kind of terrible for a while until they could get their hands on Crosby, Malkin, Fleury, Letang, Neal, etc. Now they are a force to be reckoned with. The Oilers are not that wonderful now, but are stocking up on elite talent, and their fortunes too will turn in time. Even Boston took an extended period to build the current juggernaut that they skate out onto the ice every night.

Why so many people want us to be a treadmill team, and routinely finish middle of the pack where we will get slapped by the elites, but never be bad enough to select players in the draft that can change our fortunes is beyond me.

Look at the Calgary Flames, that organization puts on a clinic as to how to ensure irrelevance for a long time. Ever since their cup run they have loaded up on ugly contracts to middling players, and they scrap for 8th place with the 3rd highest payroll in the league, IIRC.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 3:13 PM
What could go wrong?

For the people wanting Noel to go, I'm just curious as to what you would think he should do? We don't have any offense. Do you think just bitching and screaming at the boys is going to make a non goal scorer, score goals. I think he is doing the best he can with what he has to work with. Management needs to do something here and it is a long term plan.

Here are my thoughts on Jets line up:

1st - Kane, Need, Need
2nd - Ladd, Little, Wheeler
3rd - Need, Need, Burmistrov
4th - Glass, Slater, Thorburn

I think that Wellwood and Stapleton are good value players and could be plugged into the 3rd line. I think we will dump Antopov's salary after this year.

mehhh - Mietinen, Fehr

I like our defence and think that Oduya will most likely be our best bet at trading for a scorer or higher draft pick.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
For the people wanting Noel to go, I'm just curious as to what you would think he should do? We don't have any offense. Do you think just bitching and screaming at the boys is going to make a non goal scorer, score goals. I think he is doing the best he can with what he has to work with. Management needs to do something here and it is a long term plan.
I agree. The problem is not bad coaching. It's the lack of anything resembling an effective scoring line.

Even Scotty Bowman in his prime would have a hard time making the playoffs with the current bunch. It will take at least a couple of seasons for Cheveldayoff & company to build up a true contender.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 3:32 PM

Better pencil Anti Miettenen in on the 3rd line. He has a NMC that extends through the 2012-2013 season. Unfortunately.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 7:40 PM

Also remember that the plan was to build a team, not to buy one. These things take time. This is your team, you should follow them win or lose.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 8:13 PM

Quote:
ugh its not "correct" to say because you're talking about something you clearly don't understand....Coaching? That's the main issue to you?

How would you improve the coaching on the team, so that it ends up winning every single game without fault, Mr Prince, please do tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
I'm more concerned about the team's management. The Jets desperately need a reliable offensive player who can put up 60 points a year. GM Kevin Cheveldayoff has done absolutely nothing to address this issue, which is concerning, to say the least.

The Jets need to pull off a trade for a couple of forwards, if they have any hope of making the playoffs.
I don't agree. I think he's doing a fab job. Its not about a playoff push; from the beginning the Jets organization said its about building a contender. Who would you trade right now to get the type of offensive player who could make a difference? There isn't a lot of choice. Chev knows that, and he knows right now prices are high because of playoff push hopes across the league.

Not worth it yet, imo. His focus is making a contender year in, year out. It took the Canucks organization a lot of time to make that. Now look at them...they can still win even after playing crappy games!

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I agree. The problem is not bad coaching. It's the lack of anything resembling an effective scoring line.

Even Scotty Bowman in his prime would have a hard time making the playoffs with the current bunch. It will take at least a couple of seasons for Cheveldayoff & company to build up a true contender.
This is the key part.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 9:05 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
You sound like a redneck sitting in his fishing boat drinking Bud Light with his buddies telling them that you could run the country better than Obama.

Noel inherited the team from the previous coach and GM. Chevy made it clear that he was going to let the team play relatively unchanged for the first season. It is clear that there are some internal issues that will likely be dealt with around the trade deadline (if it looks like the playoffs are completely out of reach) or in the off season. Until then they are working with what they have for now and Noel just has to deal with it.

The Jets are not struggling due to coaching.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 9:10 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post

It's a tough spot for Chevy. The team is young, inexperienced but has a ton of potential talent if they can stay healthy and humble.

Who do you get rid of to get someone decent in return?

What are you willing to pay?

Enough players have been bought on the hope of some offensive punch but turned out to be long term duds that just tapped salary caps for years to come. Do we really want to be a Phaneuf, Bouwmeester, Gomez, Kesler, Horcoff or Kovalchuk?

Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 9:13 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:

Here are my thoughts on Jets line up:

1st - Kane, Need, Need
2nd - Ladd, Little, Wheeler
3rd - Need, Need, Burmistrov
4th - Glass, Slater, Thorburn

I think that Wellwood and Stapleton are good value players and could be plugged into the 3rd line. I think we will dump Antopov's salary after this year.

mehhh - Mietinen, Fehr

I like our defence and think that Oduya will most likely be our best bet at trading for a scorer or higher draft pick.
I would be put Wellwood in the 3rd line and would put Byfuglien onto the first like (and PP).

Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 9:27 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
I would be put Wellwood in the 3rd line and would put Byfuglien onto the first like (and PP).

I don't have a problem with Wellwood and agree that he could definitely work on the 3rd line. I think the thing with Wellwood is that you need a physical body to pair with him. He makes a lot of plays and can be magical with his stick but is fairly passive and is easily muscled off the puck.

I don't think that there is any way Buff is going back to forward again - nor do i think he needs too. I think we get a lot of him playing forward as it is and his unpredictability is what makes him dangerous to other teams. I think the key to him is to not make him too unpredictable to OUR team and find a way to minimize the odd man rushes against us because of it.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 10:56 PM

I'm definitely a fan of building through the draft and grooming our young prospects. What is the point of trading picks or making big changes to try and sneak into the playoffs this year?

True North is smart - they know they have 3 of 4 years of sell-outs in the bag at least. NOW is the time to rebuild/struggle/disappoint the fans, while you have their unconditional support. In 3 or 4 years, when the honeymoon is over, interest in the Jets will be more tied to performance, and the bandwagon fans will start to jump (as they always do). That's the point where we want to be a team on the come-up - a team like the 09 OKC Thunder for you NBA fans, or the '11/12 Oilers, etc. I'll gladly take the growing pains now, rather than be that prennial 8th - 10th seed that teams become when their GM's try to make big splashes in free agency/trade dealines...

Old Posted Feb 7, 2012, 6:49 AM

Quote:
I think we will dump Antopov's salary after this year.
I dunno, Antro is a smart player. I'd like to see him stay.

But, then again, you never know which way the trade winds will blow, so that might come to pass.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 3:58 AM

I guess Claude Noel is suddenly an amazing coach now, eh Wayward? They played awesome tonight. Sometimes in order to win a team game, more than one person needs to be liable and responsible for the wins losses. All 22 Players, Coaches, Staff, Ownership. Everyone needs to work harder to prevent a loss, and keep there heads on after a win. Good game tonight boys. Although I am proud of my Jets win or lose, as long as they have heart.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 4:53 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
I guess Claude Noel is suddenly an amazing coach now, eh Wayward? They played awesome tonight. Sometimes in order to win a team game, more than one person needs to be liable and responsible for the wins losses. All 22 Players, Coaches, Staff, Ownership. Everyone needs to work harder to prevent a loss, and keep there heads on after a win. Good game tonight boys. Although I am proud of my Jets win or lose, as long as they have heart.
I'll drink to that!

Now, I'm not so sure.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan