HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Roosevelt University Dormitory in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 16, 2010, 3:37 PM
c h i c a g o

Groundbreaking scheduled for Saturday...

http://www.globest.com/news/1642_164.../184499-1.html

"CHICAGO-Roosevelt University President Chuck Middleton will be joined by Mayor Richard M. Daley, as well as other local dignitaries, on Saturday to break ground on a new32-story tower that will act as a vertical campus for the school. The $118 million building, when complete in January 2012, will have classrooms, lecture halls, science labs, conference rooms, a dining center, a student recreation center, offices and dorm rooms for more than 600 students, as well as space for the Walter E. Heller College of Business Administration."

Old Posted Apr 16, 2010, 3:50 PM

April 7

Old Posted May 6, 2010, 1:18 PM
dream fast

5-5

Old Posted May 7, 2010, 2:33 AM

Ugh. This is terrible.

Old Posted May 7, 2010, 6:04 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

I can't tell by the images, is the site still undergoing demolition or is some of the structural already erected?

Old Posted May 7, 2010, 6:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uaarkson View Post
Ugh. This is terrible.
What is? I'd say this tower is an improvement over the bland 70's crap that used to be there.

Old Posted May 7, 2010, 9:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
I can't tell by the images, is the site still undergoing demolition or is some of the structural already erected?
It's a construction phase rarely seen in other cities (sorry, bit of civic pride here) - those are the structural supports for the facadectomy of the old Fine Arts Annex, I believe. They will hold the skin until there is a building behind it to fuse onto.

The new building will not go vertical for quite some time.

Old Posted May 7, 2010, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
When I was in Chicago last week, I rode by on the Orange line specifically so that I could see how far along they were. At that point, they were still in the demo phase, with only about 3 floors left to go.

Old Posted May 20, 2010, 3:27 AM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
It's a construction phase rarely seen in other cities (sorry, bit of civic pride here) - those are the structural supports for the facadectomy of the old Fine Arts Annex, I believe. They will hold the skin until there is a building behind it to fuse onto.

The new building will not go vertical for quite some time.
I appreciate that this city and its developers care enough to save the exteriors of historic structures, but the risk of becoming a city whose architectural history is only skin deep is somewhat troubling to me.

The old modernist building was ugly as sin however. I'm somewhat glad to see it go, even though it was fully usable and occupied at the time of demolition, and despite the fact that there is no shortage of empty lots and buildable space in the South Loop.

Old Posted May 20, 2010, 4:25 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
I appreciate that this city and its developers care enough to save the exteriors of historic structures, but the risk of becoming a city whose architectural history is only skin deep is somewhat troubling to me.
I'm not concerned about this. All of the buildings facadectomized so far have been buildings where the architecture was only skin deep. Its not like these were designed by FLW where every inch of the building drips in important architectural thought. Its not like we are facadectomizing the Old Colony Building or Fischer Building where we would be destroying some of the very first steel frame highrises. The historical value of this building lies not in the run-of-the-mill rooms and brick behind the facade, but in the richly detailed and historic facade. One could argue that the loss of the huge painted sign on the side is a lost slice of Chicago history, but its a minor one at that.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2010, 12:51 AM
Ω

There's a pretty cool model in the lobby of the Auditorium Building if anyone wants to take a look. I didn't have my camera on me.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2010, 3:57 AM
Urbane observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
the risk of becoming a city whose architectural history is only skin deep is somewhat troubling to me.
I appreciate the general principle, but this was really just a façade, as the rest of the building had been remodeled (essentially replaced) many years ago.

Quote:
The old modernist building . . . was fully usable and occupied at the time of demolition
It hadn't been occupied for two years because of new city sprinkler requirements. The cost of sprinklering and otherwise updating the Herman Crown Center led Roosevelt to study the problem from square one, which ultimately led to this plan.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2010, 5:00 AM

Went by today. Just a few beams and columns left on the first floor. I'd say by the end of this week, the site should be flattened to street level.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2010, 5:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerton View Post
There's a pretty cool model in the lobby of the Auditorium Building if anyone wants to take a look. I didn't have my camera on me.
But I did...

Old Posted Jun 2, 2010, 5:54 AM

Very cool.

Something really needs to get built on that corner though.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2010, 8:25 AM

^ See posts #3 and #4 of this thread.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2010, 12:48 PM

It looks just stunning. But will they connect the public walkway at the Auditorium building to this one? or will they just shut it right to the new dead end?

Old Posted Jun 3, 2010, 10:20 PM
dream fast

6-3

Last edited by george; Jun 4, 2010 at 2:20 PM.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2010, 5:42 PM
dream fast

The models above show windows in the north face concrete facade, unlike the rendering at the beginning of this thread. I like the prison slit windows better.

from post #1 by tup.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2010, 6:12 PM

While I don't have a set of floorplans sitting in front of me, there will have to be windows on the North wall. I'm betting the slits will definitely be there. I'm assuming it's a double loaded corridor running perpendicular to the street.

It's a dorm, so it's not that big of a deal the northern view will be of a narrow alley.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive