HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General

Old Posted May 20, 2011, 4:07 PM

Halifax Retail

I decided to create this thread since a lot of general retail information has been going into the West End mall thread.

Halifax Shopping Center News

Quote:
Sephora and Hollister, opening mid August on the lower level. Aeropostale will also open on the lower level in early July!
International News is currently under renovation, the store will reopen in June.
Sirens has relocated to the upper level, next to Naturalizer.
Pseudio is newly renovated and has relocated on the upper level, next to Boathouse.
Call it Spring has newly renovated and has relocated down the hall, next to Banana Republic.
A&W is newly renovated and open to serve you, upper level in the food court.
Laura Secord is newly renovated and open to serve you, lower level.
Halifax Shopping Center Latest News

Also I noticed that Telus is moving up to the upper level.

Mic Mac Mall News:

Davidstea has opened.

Downtown Halifax News:

Baton Rouge is set to open June 15.
The North Face will be open this summer/fall
Patagonia is also set to open downtown.

Dartmouth Crossing News

NOW OPEN!

La Cucina
Roots 73
Bowring
Bombay
Addition-Elle
Alia N' Tan Jay

OPENING SOON!
Banana Republic Factory Store
Pier 1
Barnes & Castle
Toys R Us
Modern Orchid
McDonalds

Bayers Lake News

Winners in Bayers Lake is being Renovated.

Gap Factory outlet in Bayers Lake is Open.

Last edited by DigitalNinja; May 23, 2011 at 12:29 AM.

Old Posted May 20, 2011, 4:27 PM

New Stores Opening
Dartmouth Crossing

NOW OPEN!

La Cucina
Roots 73
Bowring
Bombay
Addition-Elle
Alia N' Tan Jay

OPENING SOON!
Banana Republic Factory Store
Pier 1
Barnes & Castle
Toys R Us
Modern Orchid
McDonalds

Wow another Banana Republic!
We will now have the largest collection of GAP brand stores east of Montreal. 2 GAPs, 2 Old Navys, 1 Banana Republic, 1 Banana Republic Factory Store and 1 GAP Factory Store

Last edited by q12; May 20, 2011 at 10:50 PM. Reason: Confirmed BR Factory Store

Old Posted May 20, 2011, 10:25 PM

It looks to me that Halifax Shopping Centre is set to leap well ahead of Mic Mac as the dominant shopping mall in Atlantic Canada; it's pulling in some BIG name stores!

Old Posted May 20, 2011, 10:44 PM

BTW, all those stores mentioned in the Mic Mac opening soon thing opened in 2010 already.

The only significant news from Mic Mac this year has been the opening of Cucina Moderna (kitchen store) and the closing of the Disney Store. I was talking with an employee of American Eagle in Mic Mac and they said that once the Disney Store closed they will move their store (AE) to that space and Eclipse's space beside it, effectively doubling AE's size. The old AE location would then be home to a new Aerie (AE's Lingerie and woman's dorm wear brand) stand-alone store.

However, I have heard nothing new on the subject. I suspect that they would be building the new AE store on the second level by now and would then open that one and close the old one at the same time, which would then give them their chance to construct the new Aerie store...

I also noticed that the AE store in Halifax Shopping Centre is moving one space down in the mall...hmm. Maybe American Eagle Corp. decided to open an Aerie store there too? It would make sense, they will want to be where the people are and with the opening of Hollister coming, there will be a lot of their demographic going to HSC rather than Mic Mac for their shopping.

Still awaiting word on what other new stores are opening this year at HSC as part of their "upscale conversion". Abercrombie & Fitch? Forever 21? Urban Outfitters? Victoria's Secret? Those names have all been floating around online as potential neighbours to the new Sephora and Hollister stores opening.

Old Posted May 20, 2011, 10:53 PM

Just checked and that will be a Banana Republic Factory Store at DC.

http://www.eluta.ca/search?ptitle=St...8e7d67dd&imo=1

Old Posted May 22, 2011, 4:53 PM

Nice to see some upscale brands opening Factory Stores or Outlets to go with the retail stores that already exist in their "non-outlet" forms in Halifax.

North Face is set to open on Barrington Street this summer/fall, and a Patagonia store is also opening downtown in the same area as Mountain Equipment, TAO, The Trail Shop, and the new North Face store.

DavidsTea has opened their second Halifax location in Mic Mac as well (the first is in Halifax Shopping Centre)

Another store that I could see opening in Halifax soon is Lacoste, maybe downtown (Spring Garden) or in Halifax Shopping Centre with an outlet version in Dartmouth Crossing (more "upscale" than Bayer's lake, hence the Banana Republic in DC, not BL)

Old Posted May 22, 2011, 8:44 PM

Also, Halifax's new Baton Rouge Restaurant downtown in the Morse's Tea Building is planning to open on June 15th!

Old Posted May 23, 2011, 4:47 AM

I was just to the Crossiron Mills mall today here in Calgary and then to 'The Core' as well. Both have Lacoste stores - the prices seem pretty much to be around the same level as Banana Republic, may be slightly higher.

There is no reason why Halifax couldn't support Hollister, BR or Lacoste - it's just a matter of getting the store there and it advertised. I know countless people who shop for Lacoste stuff everywhere else, other than a lacoste store (since Halifax doesn't have one).

As for Hollister...it's geared towards young gay twinks lol. Speaking as an older gay male - that's ALL they wear lol. That and American Eagle. I have a few things from AE - but I felt totally wrong being in the store lol. I'm just old lol.

Another good store which I am a huge fan off is RW & Co. I'm not sure what chain owns it, but my friend and I went to the one in Crossiron and got some really great deals. Two pairs of casual jeans for me; was 40% off the existing mark down. With taxes, $32! One store that Calgary just got at Chinook, which is also out at Crossiron Mills (and doing good business) is Michael Korrs (yes, the same guy on the panel of project runway). For ladies stuff, apparently he does it well. I could see one of MK in Trillium. Granted Mills carries his stuff I believe.

Old Posted May 23, 2011, 12:56 PM
Urban Thinker

If Halifax can support two Banana Republics (DC and HSC) I'm sure we could support a Lacoste.

Old Posted May 23, 2011, 1:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haligonia View Post
If Halifax can support two Banana Republics (DC and HSC) I'm sure we could support a Lacoste.
Agree 100%

Old Posted Jun 8, 2011, 4:05 AM

I just noticed tonight that one of Spring Garden's vacancies is about to be filled. The old Dairy Queen's windows are papered up and signs are announcing that Eastlink will be moving in.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2011, 5:17 AM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbeauNoir View Post
I just noticed tonight that one of Spring Garden's vacancies is about to be filled. The old Dairy Queen's windows are papered up and signs are announcing that Eastlink will be moving in.
The sooner the better!

Old Posted May 23, 2011, 1:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
I was just to the Crossiron Mills mall today here in Calgary and then to 'The Core' as well. Both have Lacoste stores - the prices seem pretty much to be around the same level as Banana Republic, may be slightly higher.

There is no reason why Halifax couldn't support Hollister, BR or Lacoste - it's just a matter of getting the store there and it advertised. I know countless people who shop for Lacoste stuff everywhere else, other than a lacoste store (since Halifax doesn't have one).

As for Hollister...it's geared towards young gay twinks lol. Speaking as an older gay male - that's ALL they wear lol. That and American Eagle. I have a few things from AE - but I felt totally wrong being in the store lol. I'm just old lol.

Another good store which I am a huge fan off is RW & Co. I'm not sure what chain owns it, but my friend and I went to the one in Crossiron and got some really great deals. Two pairs of casual jeans for me; was 40% off the existing mark down. With taxes, $32! One store that Calgary just got at Chinook, which is also out at Crossiron Mills (and doing good business) is Michael Korrs (yes, the same guy on the panel of project runway). For ladies stuff, apparently he does it well. I could see one of MK in Trillium. Granted Mills carries his stuff I believe.
In my high school, most of the gay guys don't like the big brand names, they wear H&M type cheap-chic clothes. The straight guys are the ones that wear American Eagle, Hollister, Abercrombie, and Aeropostale (including me).

Old Posted May 23, 2011, 2:27 PM

Theres a Tims moving into the old Perks on lower water

its going to have a cold stone feature which i thought was kinda cool

should be good in the summer.

Old Posted May 23, 2011, 2:37 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Harlington- View Post
Theres a Tims moving into the old Perks on lower water

its going to have a cold stone feature which i thought was kinda cool

should be good in the summer.
Why did that Perk's location close? I used to frequent it whenever I stayed in a downtown Hfx hotel.

I don't want another generic Timmies (even with a Cold Stone), I have 35 to choose from here in Moncton.....

Old Posted May 23, 2011, 3:40 PM

I want Dunkin' Donuts to expand to Eastern Canada...

Old Posted May 24, 2011, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post

What happened with the planned horse track there and the fact originaly it was suppossed t be larger than West Ed?

prime example of the flawed vission and urban sprawl in calgary, that hopefully won't happen in halifax....although with the money here it seems everyone can afford their own chunk of land, eventually it will catch to calgary.

Old Posted May 24, 2011, 3:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by resetcbu1 View Post
What happened with the planned horse track there and the fact originaly it was suppossed t be larger than West Ed?

prime example of the flawed vission and urban sprawl in calgary, that hopefully won't happen in halifax....although with the money here it seems everyone can afford their own chunk of land, eventually it will catch to calgary.
Well fortunately it wasn't the City of calgary that had anything to do with CrossIron Mills. That was Rockyview County - the county outside of Calgary (that Calgary tends to eat up as we sprawl out).

The last I heard is that the race track is delayed; but the rumor I'm hearing from people who know the developers is that it's not going to go ahead. Certainly the area where the track could be is still empty and they've finally installed the south access road to the Deerfoot (which has improved Traffic flow).

As to Icetea's comment - I guess the younger gay guys out here like to spend more money, because I see them shopping at all sorts of stores (not just H&M). I did have a small thing for H&M, but more and more I find I'm drifting back to the gap and RW&Co.

Old Posted May 24, 2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Empire Theatres to Add Three New IMAX Digital Theatres
By Canada NewsWire | May 18, 2011

http://www.canadianbusiness.com/arti...gital-theatres

IMAX to have 22 commercial theatres operating in Canada by November
HALIFAX and TORONTO, May 18 /CNW/ - Empire Theatres, a Canada-wide film exhibition company with 50 theatres, and IMAX Corp. (NYSE: IMAX) (TSX: IMAX) announced today that Empire Theatres will be adding three new IMAX digital theatres to its network this year.
In addition to an existing location in Halifax, NS, the following theatres in the Empire Theatres network have been chosen to deliver The IMAX Experience®:

Empire Theatres Country Hills, Calgary, AB
Empire Theatres Kitchener, Kitchener, ON
Empire Theatres Avalon Mall, St. John's, NL

The Empire Theatres Bayers Lake, Halifax, NS IMAX screen will be converted from film to digital projection to allow for a greater range of IMAX blockbuster hits to be shown.
"We are excited to partner once again with IMAX Corporation to bring The IMAX Experience® to our theatres in these markets," says Dean Leland, Vice President, Studio & Media Relations, Empire Theatres. "IMAX delivers premium viewing experiences in both digital and 3D that our guests are looking for."
IMAX offers cutting-edge digital 2D and 3D picture and sound technologies that deliver a superior movie-going experience on a larger screen with crystal-clear images and enhanced sound. IMAX theatres deliver the world's best cinematic presentations using proprietary IMAX, IMAX® 3D, and IMAX DMR® technology, creating an immersive experience that will make guests feel like they are a part of the movie.
"Today's announcement highlights our commitment to expanding in the Canadian market, and to continuing our successful work with key partners like Empire Theatres," said IMAX CEO Richard L. Gelfond. "With these three new systems, we are scheduled to have 22 commercial theatres operating in Canada by November, more than double the size of our Canadian commercial theatre network as of November 2010."
The Empire Theatres Country Hills, AB, Empire Theatres Kitchener, ON and Empire Theatres Bayers Lake, NS locations will be open for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2: An IMAX 3D Experience on July 15, 2011. The Empire Theatres Avalon Mall, NL location will be open in September 2011.
Quote:
Empire Theatres to bring Empire Extra to Five Additional Locations
Empire Extra is Empire Theatres' very own revolutionary digital cinema experience

http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/a.../16/c4747.html

HALIFAX, May 16 /CNW/ - Empire Theatres, a Canada-wide film exhibition company, will be introducing Empire Extra, a revolutionary new digital cinema experience, to five additional locations this year.

Empire Extra provides guests with a heightened sensory experience in a special auditorium custom-designed to offer dynamic sound, screen and seat quality. Empire Extra boasts a proprietary custom-designed multi-channel sound system for the ultimate audio experience; stunning digital presentation on a massive, wall to wall wrap-around screen; and reserved seating in comfy, high back rockers.

Empire Extra was first introduced to the new Empire Theatres Waterloo complex in Waterloo, ON which opened in November 2010. Due to its success and positive guest feedback, it will now be introduced to the following locations over the next few months:

Empire Theatres Dartmouth Crossing, Dartmouth, NS
Empire Theatres Empress Walk, Toronto, ON
Empire Theatres MacLeod Trail, Calgary, AB
Empire Theatres Crystal Palace, Dieppe, NB
Empire Theatres Orleans, Orleans, ON

"Empire Extra has been a hit with guests in our Waterloo, ON location. They love the outstanding movie-going experience so we have decided to introduce it to a few other locations in time for summer," says Dean Leland, Vice President - Studio Relations & Media, Empire Theatres.
All good news!

Old Posted May 25, 2011, 9:09 PM

According to Downtown Halifax's Twitter account, there will be two new restaurants opening this year in the downtown core:

-The Middle Spoon Desserterie & Bar
-Le Coquerel Bistro

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General