HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Liberty Mutual Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Boston Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jul 12, 2012, 7:30 AM

7/6:

7/10:

Old Posted Jul 14, 2012, 2:56 AM
Paramoderator

From last weekend.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2012, 3:42 PM

Do any of the windows have glass in them yet? I can't really tell. I'll see this building in a couple weeks though!

Old Posted Jul 14, 2012, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kznyc2k View Post
7/6:

7/10:

when it's finished these views from Cambridge/Longfellow Bridge will be more incredible than they already are...............Boston is exquisitely beautiful

Old Posted Jul 14, 2012, 10:24 PM
Come As You Are

^^ Wow, amazing view!

Old Posted Aug 9, 2012, 6:59 AM

Old Posted Aug 9, 2012, 10:14 PM

Cery classical looking tower. Beautiful.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 5:00 PM
Metal Up Your !

I love the stone, but it looks a little... bland.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 5:27 PM

This will be quite a stunner. Would gladly trade it for one of TO's sixty story glass boxes.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2012, 3:00 PM

Where are some the drawings for Boston's construction projects?

Boston is really building up these days with a pair of towers building up along the waterfront district, Liberty Mutual Tower, The Kensington Tower, Hayward Place, and Avalon Exeter already being constructed and another dozen or so projects approved and just waiting to get construction started. The skyline will have a new look to it when all is done!

Old Posted Aug 16, 2012, 3:20 PM
Ex Houstonian

Doth mine eyes deceive me to believeth tis precast or be it real limestone?

Old Posted Aug 16, 2012, 4:59 PM
Bostonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Doth mine eyes deceive me to believeth tis precast or be it real limestone?
That's real limestone. It's a pity they aren't doing more decorative work with it.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2012, 5:10 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

I asked that very question a page or two back and a forumer claims it's real limestone.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Aug 16, 2012, 5:44 PM
JACKinBeantown

I just realized what it reminds me of... the Flatiron Building... (a little bit).

Old Posted Aug 16, 2012, 5:50 PM
mmmmkay

This picture shows the edge of the precast panel and the blend between the face mix of color and the backup grey concrete mix. It certainly is hard to tell with this project but I don't see evidence of real stone. The large panels also indicate that the building is precast and not stone. Real stone typically would be done in smaller pieces.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2012, 7:10 PM
Bostonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian. View Post
This picture shows the edge of the precast panel and the blend between the face mix of color and the backup grey concrete mix. It certainly is hard to tell with this project but I don't see evidence of real stone. The large panels also indicate that the building is precast and not stone. Real stone typically would be done in smaller pieces.

Oops, that might be my bad, then. The Archboston forum has been having a decent amount of discussion about the cladding and seemed to go in favor of limestone, but now I just don't know what to think. Haven't seen a photo similar to that before.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2012, 7:54 PM

Definitely real limestone, you can tell there's color variation and light depth that precast lacks. A little aging will make it look more like the limestone we expect. I don't understand why the facade is so blocky though. It gives the building an overly stolid character. I prefer the looks of 1930s era buildings, which have flat facades, but have cornices etc.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2012, 4:37 PM
mmmmkay

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandelay View Post
Definitely real limestone, you can tell there's color variation and light depth that precast lacks. A little aging will make it look more like the limestone we expect.
Why the denial that it is precast? The color variation comes from the finishing technique.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2012, 5:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian. View Post
Why the denial that it is precast? The color variation comes from the finishing technique.
The denial is because it is real limestone. Many of us have actually seen this building in person. I'm assuming you are not one of those people?

Now, you can certainly argue that it's a misuse of the limestone, but it is limestone nonetheless.

To the person who said it reminds them of the Flatiron, it actually has a very similar nickname among the archboston forumers... the "Fatiron"!!!

Old Posted Aug 20, 2012, 1:15 PM
mmmmkay

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZH22 View Post
The denial is because it is real limestone. Many of us have actually seen this building in person. I'm assuming you are not one of those people?
No, I have not seen this building in person, but I will offer more evidence from the pictures posted here which lead me to believe that it is precast.

In the first picture below I look that the returns on the corners of the building. Notice how the corners are an absolutely a perfect strait edge. If you were to try that with natural stone you would see some evidence of saw marks or when cutting through layers of stone you would see ‘rivers’ of discoloration between layers of sediment in the limestone. I do not think you can have a return of approximately 12” to 18” and not see a natural change in composition of the stone. It’s too strait to be the real thing.

In the second picture I see a precast panel that looks approximately to be 6 to 7 feet tall by about 20 to 25 feet long. It is quite difficult to cut, manufacture and transport a single piece of stone that large without cracking. That second picture also looks to have cast reveals which are slightly lighter in color then the panel joint.

Without seeing the building for myself and only using the pictures posted here, I still say that it is precast.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive