HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Very interesting. Any idea who runs it? Is it accessible off the street or through the Sport Manitoba entrance?

Whatever happened to the cafe that was supposed to open across the street, on the other side of Lily?

Great spot! Great Coffee!

It will become Parlouresque very quickly!

Same guy just took a smaller spot ..

Old Posted Apr 17, 2015, 4:10 PM
North End Troublemaker

Just a question for people more in the know than I... What is the building that has 6 garage doors facing James? The building just South of the Warehouse Theatre.

I went for a walk around the exchange yesterday and it's both good and bad. Market, which was suppose to have a pedestrian upgrade from Lily to Bertha actually looks wider than before, but Elgin Ave East looks good with the paving stones. Now to find people to use it

Old Posted Apr 17, 2015, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveosnyder View Post
Just a question for people more in the know than I... What is the building that has 6 garage doors facing James? The building just South of the Warehouse Theatre.
Wandering about in my neck of the woods, eh?

For some reason, the first thing that came to mind was that it is a surplus City of Winnipeg property (Public Works, perhaps). Looking at the article below, however, by process of elimination it must be the Manitoba Museum storage facility mentioned at the end.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...216711961.html

Old Posted Apr 23, 2015, 6:30 PM

After walking by it every day for 2 weeks now, I have come to the realization that the Crocus Building parkade is the most depressing/worst thing in all of downtown. KILLS the potential for activity along OMS, and guarantees a patchy street wall on Main (because of the plaza between RRC PGI and Smoke's building.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2015, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
After walking by it every day for 2 weeks now, I have come to the realization that the Crocus Building parkade is the most depressing/worst thing in all of downtown. KILLS the potential for activity along OMS, and guarantees a patchy street wall on Main (because of the plaza between RRC PGI and Smoke's building.
I agree. It is terrible... it's really no better than a surface parking lot. At least a big parkade addresses a need in a fairly compact and dense way... but this thing is 1 level of underground parking and 1 level of above ground parking. It looks like a surface lot as you walk by it on Main, and it just presents an ugly parkade wall to OMS.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 4:28 PM

according to sky 2 facebook page, seems like one of the commercial spaces has been sold, and according to them, they heard it might be a convenience store.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sky-W...342435?fref=ts

Old Posted May 10, 2015, 7:15 PM

Fire at 543 Bannatyne, the building from the cover of the 'So Long Bannatyne' album. Quite sad but also an opportunity for renewal to put something shiny in there.

Old Posted May 11, 2015, 3:49 AM

The space beside Miss Brown's/former Subway on William is FINALLY up for lease... it's been papered up for years, don't know why. To be honest it would be an awesome spot for a Snap Fitness, and dimensions/layout is almost the same as their Charleswood location. Other than Goodlife at 201 Portage or RRC if your an alum/student, there's no gyms in the area... next closest is YMCA at Portage Place.

Old Posted May 11, 2015, 3:55 AM

Also noticed that the Reiss building lobby lights were on for the first time in years, it's so nice. The lights were also on on the second floor and you could see drywall going up... anyone heard anything about this yet?

Old Posted May 11, 2015, 5:23 PM

Probably old news, but the old Desire nightclub (went by another name recently) is being redeveloped it seems, being called 441 Main.

Old Posted May 11, 2015, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Also noticed that the Reiss building lobby lights were on for the first time in years, it's so nice. The lights were also on on the second floor and you could see drywall going up... anyone heard anything about this yet?
I noticed some work going on in there recently... no idea what's up but it's good to see. That building seems pretty underutilized considering its condition and location... it would be nice to see something happen in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
Probably old news, but the old Desire nightclub (went by another name recently) is being redeveloped it seems, being called 441 Main.
The best kind of redevelopment for that building would be for it to become something other than a club. Much like Whiskey Dix and the Millennium Centre, it's a bit sad how these grand old Main Street banks come alive for just a few hours on a couple of nights a week.

Old Posted May 11, 2015, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
It's called 441 Main and it will be open nightly. They're actually putting some serious effort into it — interior is gorgeous, completely gutted. Main floor will be a lounge/club but they will just be playing house music, no big-bass DJs and club music, more of a social setting.

Upstairs loft is a craft cocktail bar with a brand new tapas bar/kitchen built upstairs also with lots of tables. It's a brand new concept to Winnipeg with a ton of investors (not just the normal club guys) so I'm hoping it does really well.

Old Posted May 16, 2015, 5:16 PM

Bronuts doing well:

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/art...303983581.html

Quote:
Bronuts is open 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday to Friday, and 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturdays. Brett and Dylan figure those hours will be modified somewhat, come festival season.
Nice to see more things open weekends.

Old Posted May 17, 2015, 1:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypinion View Post
Bronuts doing well:

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/art...303983581.html

Nice to see more things open weekends.
Bronuts is going to hit a wall if they don't start... making more bronuts. They sell out by 930-10 am everyday and are very snarky about it. Sorry, but this isn't NYC — people are just gonna get annoyed and stop going. Parlour, Miss Brown's, and a couple others have better coffee, so you should probably keep your main business in stock.

They have a premade signboard that flips around to say "Sold Out" ... so they want this to happen, they only bake one batch a day, it makes no business sense.

Also.. the donuts aren't that good (yes, I know that's subjective)

Old Posted May 17, 2015, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Bronuts is going to hit a wall if they don't start... making more bronuts. They sell out by 930-10 am everyday and are very snarky about it. Sorry, but this isn't NYC — people are just gonna get annoyed and stop going. Parlour, Miss Brown's, and a couple others have better coffee, so you should probably keep your main business in stock.

They have a premade signboard that flips around to say "Sold Out" ... so they want this to happen, they only bake one batch a day, it makes no business sense.

They are continually increasing production and they baked a second lunchtime batch on Saturday.

I find their donuts excellent, but it's not that often that I'm in the mood for a $2.75 donut.

Old Posted May 17, 2015, 3:18 PM

Quote:
I haven't tried it yet myself, but my wife and her co-workers did not like the donuts they tried. I'm still willing to give it a go, but it's looking iffy at this point.

Old Posted May 19, 2015, 4:11 PM

This is much larger than I thought it was going to be. Looks like it is built on top of Martha and extends to near the Ukrainian Cultural Centre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ‏@SportManitoba
"Ladies and gentlemen, the Qualico Training Centre!" - @Jeff_Hnatiuk
https://twitter.com/SportManitoba/st...93265424392192

Old Posted May 19, 2015, 4:18 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypinion View Post
This is much larger than I thought it was going to be. Looks like it is built on top of Martha and extends to near the Ukrainian Cultural Centre.
Correct. Martha will no longer exist through the site. The centre will go almost right to the Ukrainian Centre. For that matter I am not even sure if Martha will even exist any more. If it does it will just be a small half block street on the eastern edge of the Museum parking lot........like 125ft.

..........correction, I just noticed that there is a small portion on the other side of Disraeli.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 19, 2015, 4:20 PM

^ That's nice in the sense that the Ukrainian Cultural Centre has kind of sat there like an isolated orphan without any neighbouring buildings for all those years. Filling in some of the yawning gaps created by surface parking is a good thing.

Although that said, it is somewhat bittersweet given that this building is basically a giant shed that will not really generate much street life... but I suppose considering what has existed around there for the last however many years, it's still a change for the better.

Old Posted May 19, 2015, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Although that said, it is somewhat bittersweet given that this building is basically a giant shed that will not really generate much street life... but I suppose considering what has existed around there for the last however many years, it's still a change for the better.
That's my thoughts, it's another Convention Centre being plopped down in an area I was kind of hoping would become quite pedestrian friendly.

Hopefully it will potentially generate "better" traffic than the concert hall/pantages does sometimes (in and out of vehicle).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan