HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jun 27, 2013, 10:32 PM

I agree that the design for the proposed downtown Austin hotel seem to be a bit bland. Most hotel designs tend in that direction for whatever reason.

Westin operates medium sized or large hotels (including some vintage or historic properties) in city centers and major edge city locations (like the Domain hopes to become someday), as well as sprawling and luxurious resorts. Westin does not dot the highways with suburban motel-like properties. With the exception of the resorts, a careful look at Westin locations reveals that the properties are in the center or very near the center of downtown areas or major "edge city" areas http://www.starwoodhotels.com/westin...a/us/list.html

Last edited by austlar1; Jun 28, 2013 at 4:53 AM.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2013, 12:59 AM

[QUOTE=austlar1;6180248]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
Westin operates medium sized or large hotels (including some vintage or historic properties) in city centers and major edge city locations (like the Domain hopes to become someday)
The Domain itself may not be a major edge city location, but the area in which it is located certainly already has those characteristics. Within a two or three mile radius there are a whole lot of people living, working, shopping, etc. around the Loop 1, 183, Parmer, Braker area. It's a very busy area.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2013, 4:51 AM

I think the definition of an "Edge City" put forth in the book of the same name is at least 5 million square feet of class a office space and a significant retail component. The area in the vicinity of the Domain probably already qualifies as an "edge city" or major node, but the Domain itself plans to have all of that and more contained within its own boundaries. That is what I meant when I said the Domain aspires to edge city status. BTW, I hate the Domain.

I am editing here to add the definition of Edge City found in Wikipedia. It is a recapitulation of the Edge City author's definition.

"Has five million or more square feet (465,000 m²) of leasable office space."
"Has 600,000 square feet (56,000 m²) or more of leasable retail space."
"Has more jobs than bedrooms."
"Is perceived by the population as one place."
"Was nothing like a "city" as recently as 30 years ago. Then it was just bedrooms, if not cow pastures."

Last edited by austlar1; Jun 28, 2013 at 5:23 AM.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2013, 3:58 PM

Site prep has begun

Old Posted Jul 18, 2013, 10:02 PM

Or at least they have the renderings up on the fencing and everything is barricaded off as though ground turning is eminent.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2013, 10:34 PM
Meh

Sweet. That dirt lot is a real ugly spot in downtown. It'll be nice to see it go away.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2013, 11:09 PM

I agree. Shame they don't have a rooftop bar facing towards 6th at the top of this guy. I'm surprised there isn't a really good rooftop bar at the top of any of our hotels downtown. When the W was announced I thought for sure it'd have a ghost bar up top but I guess the Austin crowd would snub an uppity joint like that. Seems like a bar and live music stage 20+ floors up with a 360 degree view is the only thing were missing.. I know we have a ton that are 2-3 floors up with open air, etc. But nothing really with a tremendous view. I've been on top of the brown building for a launch party of some sort and there is just something really cool about being really high. And drunk.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2013, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysmiling View Post
I'm surprised there isn't a really good rooftop bar at the top of any of our hotels downtown.
There's a restaurant and a separate bar on the 18th floor of the Hilton Garden Inn. It's called Eighteenth Over Austin. I took an out-of-town guest there a couple of years ago. It's on the eastern edge of downtown and the views are to the west, so you see a lot of downtown. Kevin took some photos from either the restaurant or the bar in one of the photo threads back in September.

They have a Facebook Page

The photo on the far right is of the bar area.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2013, 12:25 AM

Sweet. Were gonna check it out tonight. I've heard of it loosely now that you mention it. Thanks for the heads up mike!

Old Posted Jul 19, 2013, 4:59 AM

The HGI looks 100 times better on the inside than it does on the outside.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2013, 2:17 PM

It was pretty cool up there... Got some nice shots of sunset and the bartender said they are already booked up for xgames. She said though they get a nice crowd during events, it's almost always dead, as it was last night. We will be back. A nice hidden gym.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2013, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysmiling View Post
It was pretty cool up there... Got some nice shots of sunset and the bartender said they are already booked up for xgames. She said though they get a nice crowd during events, it's almost always dead, as it was last night. We will be back. A nice hidden gym.
They have a gym up there too? Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2013, 12:26 AM

Have a sign up at the Westin (on 5th, across from Eddie V's).

Old Posted Jul 20, 2013, 12:37 AM

YES! That is a sexy building. So much better than:

Old Posted Jul 20, 2013, 1:05 AM

I agree. I can definitely see the similarities between the two images, but the new version definitely makes me feel better about it. I prefer the front/right over the side/left wall, but either way, it's actually pretty interesting for being as boxy as it is.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2013, 1:23 AM

Another thing I love is that garage access is through the alley and not 5th street.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2013, 1:52 AM
Meh

Hopefully the west and north facades will be as nice. No more repeats of the Hyatt Place blandness.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2013, 2:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Hopefully the west and north facades will be as nice. No more repeats of the Hyatt Place blandness.
North:

East:

Old Posted Jul 20, 2013, 5:43 AM

The east side will be facing I35 I'm presuming. But per the above drawing, it appears to be the worst side with no signage logo for I35 traffic except for the approach to the south. Not sure I like the east and north sides, west and south look good though.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2013, 6:11 AM
Rundberg & I35

Where is the parking now? The new rendering shows the first few floors as glass and filled with people. Is it underground now or just hidden alley side?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin