HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Apr 6, 2014, 12:01 AM

I think one article I read last year said it's been over 35 years since a residential tower has been built in Windsor's core.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2014, 1:06 AM

not in the city centre, but it's something: http://windsorite.ca/2014/04/valente...-in-six-years/

Old Posted Apr 8, 2014, 7:41 AM
Let's go Red Wings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symz View Post
I think one article I read last year said it's been over 35 years since a residential tower has been built in Windsor's core.
75 Riverside dr is only 25 years old. Portofino is only 5 years old (although thats not right in the core but close.)

I think this new bar people are talking about would be a great idea if built. anything beats the vacant lot I saw there when i was in town last month.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2014, 8:44 PM

75 Riverside was built in 1974.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2014, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symz View Post
75 Riverside was built in 1974.
That date is wrong, I used to go to a bar at the corner of Riverside dr and Goyeau in the early 80s. I'm pretty sure it was built around 1990 or so, as I remember watching the building go up and I was well into my 20s at the time.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2014, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2k_pony View Post
75 Riverside dr is only 25 years old. Portofino is only 5 years old (although thats not right in the core but close.)

I think this new bar people are talking about would be a great idea if built. anything beats the vacant lot I saw there when i was in town last month.
I agree, I really like the design and business plan of this new high end restaurant/club, and I think it will really spruce up that block of Ouellette and hopefully encourage more private investment DT.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2014, 12:59 AM

1985 perhaps? Reading through some comments on this site talking about this block, one commenter says 1985.

http://www.internationalmetropolis.c...ilroad-hotels/

Even still, that would be 29 years since the last high rise residential built in the core?

Old Posted Apr 9, 2014, 12:23 PM

I don't see why we can't have a cluster of condos DT along the river just like across from Coventry Gardens in the east end! The view is even better and the riverfront parks are beautiful. Hopefully once the price of a house here rises, it will make condos more attractive. I'm certainly not holding my breath though!

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 3:25 AM

75 Riverside was built around 1990 and it's already showing its age (needs a good old fashioned power wash...or something). Why the hell the city allowed a giant ugly highrise housing project to be built at Riverside and McDougall (Desmarais Manor) is a head scratcher. That's one of the most valuable pieces of land with one of the best river/skyline views in the city.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 1:42 AM

Long-dormant downtown site pitched for residential development

I saw this in the paper tonight.

source: http://blogs.windsorstar.com/2014/04...l-development/

Quote:
Long-dormant downtown site pitched for residential development

666 Chatham Street West.

Owners of a long-vacant property in Windsor’s core believe the time is right to develop a 12,975-square-foot site they have owned since 1988.

The property — four former residential lots between 666-696 Chatham Ave. West — is bordered by Caron Avenue and sits about a block away from the new aquatic centre and also a block from the riverfront.

A rendering from Architecttura Inc. shows a six-storey, multi-use building, which combines condominiums with office and retail space on the ground floor.

The plan has already received approval by the city’s planning advisory committee, so now investors are needed to make it happen, said local real estate representative Rob Agnew, who has the listing and spoke Wednesday on behalf of the group.

The vacant land equates to about one-third of an acre and is listed at $595,000.

The property’s owners — said to be three local businessmen — are willing to participate in a joint venture so once a sale occurs, construction could be completed within about two years, Agnew said.

“The key here is they already have approval from the city for this,” he said. “It can be multi-residential, commercial, office, medical or any combination.”

What’s changed for the site is the surrounding area with the opening of the water park, plus growing presence of St. Clair College and University of Windsor a few blocks away, Agnew said.

“The area is starting to become trendier with people redoing buildings and renovating,” he said.

Coun. Fulvio Valentinis, whose ward includes the vacant site, agrees it’s a great time for such a residential project to happen in that location.

“I’m not an expert on this, but I do know what’s lacking downtown is some new residential that is mid-sized buildings of three or four floors,” he said. “Not everybody wants to live in a huge tower. I believe something like this would be very welcomed.

“People converting some commercial buildings into residential downtown are finding some success. With the waterfront and aquatic centre there, it’s a prime area for residential intensification on some of that land.”

Valentinis concurs the surrounding blocks have been dormant for a long time, but believes it’s soon “going to be a great area.”

“It’s far enough from the downtown core where it’s a bit of a slower pace,” he said. “I think the time is right and you will find interest in this if it’s marketed properly. The sketches I’ve seen are attractive.”

Agnew said he has had some preliminary interest from developers both locally and out-of-town since the property was listed in early March.

“I think it’s sparked more by a resurgence of Windsor as a whole,” he said. “With the aquatic centre opening that whole area has a shine on it.

“It could be great getting people to live downtown in this type of multi-use facility.”

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 12:10 PM

I always thought that lot would be a good location for some low to mid rise residential. I like the Old Town area of DT that this lot is in, and hope this happens as we need more residential in the core badly!

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 3:42 PM

That's a very interesting looking building! Hopefully we'll see more of this size start going up around down town soon...

Old Posted Apr 21, 2014, 2:21 PM

Very interesting. Windsor needs some buildings like this in the core. As much as i like tall buildings, i think buildings this size are better for the urban area.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2014, 6:16 PM

An interesting article about Windsor's meek attempt at a civic square.

source: http://blogs.windsorstar.com/2014/04...-civic-square/

Quote:
Now, with a new city hall being built, comes another chance to again enhance what began as Public Park. There should be as much discussion about this notable space as there will be about the amenities in the new building.

When council approved the new city hall, to be built south of the existing one, the plan was to replace the current one with a parking lot – a giant, hideous blemish in the civic square, obliterating the view along the esplanade. Thankfully, councillors came to their senses.

“It would destroy the vista, and it doesn’t allow for that creation of space,” Mayor Eddie Francis told me. “I prefer to see a public square.” (We have this tendency in Windsor to want everything to become a parking lot, he said.)

So the city is considering a parking garage on the site of a parking lot it owns on the west side of McDougall Avenue, across from Windsor Arena. What to do with the site of the existing city hall when it’s demolished? Expand the civic square! Here’s another idea: Offer the Ontario government space in the new city hall for its tourism office, demolish its cheesy building west of city hall and expand the civic square further.

Two other potential developments that haven’t been announced yet could transform a less-than-attractive building and another parking lot in the vicinity and create another civic esplanade.
A little tidbit that caught my attention. Eddie Francis is always so vague.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2014, 6:36 PM

I love the idea of an enhanced civic square at city hall, we need more green space and meeting space in the DT, and this location is perfect and badly in need of sprucing up.

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 4:14 PM

So of the university has resorted to what looks like a plan B for the development of their film and media school which was originally supposed to be housed in the former bus depot.

source: http://windsorite.ca/2014/05/uwindso...-q-restaurant/

Note: This diagram is actually wrong. It depicts the Tunnel EXIT as the Tunnel Entrance.

Quote:
The University of Windsor has purchased the Tunnel Bar-B-Q site as an alternative location for the arts programs originally planned for the Bus Depot property.

The Tunnel Bar-B-Q site is located directly to the east of the Armouries building, and the University says both properties will become the new home for the University’s School for Arts and Creative Innovation. The Bus Depot site will be a part of the University’s downtown campus as originally planned, with the intent to eventually repurpose the existing building for other support programming.

Dr. Wildeman, President and Vice-Chancellor said, “We are pleased to secure an ideal footprint in Windsor’s downtown core with the purchase of the Tunnel Bar-B-Q property. The new building on this site will house studio space to complement the programming in the Armouries to the west. We were unable to pursue new construction on the Bus Depot site considering various unique construction challenges caused by its location over the Detroit Windsor Tunnel. The TBQ property has enjoyed a very high profile in the region as the home of the landmark restaurant at the entry point to Canada from the Detroit Windsor tunnel. We see great benefit of this location for the profile of the University of Windsor and for the exciting work of our creative artists.”

The University states that the generous dimensions of the TBQ site will accommodate the two diverse needs of the program, which can be categorized into clean and controlled space for the Multi-Media and Film Production studios, versus rugged and creative space for the Making Fabrication Labs for metal work, printmaking and sculptural activities.

Craig Goodman, Principal at CS&P Architects Inc. explained, “The site will be developed as two distinct buildings, each harbouring the vital architectural components and acoustic treatments specific to the program, and stitched together by a third element as a shared and transparently inviting student lounge space visually connected to Freedom Way.”

The three building components will be arranged around a working outdoor arts courtyard that will allow student activities to flow seamlessly between the inside and outside.

“This is another exciting announcement by the University of Windsor and again reinforces their commitment to contribute to the vibrancy of downtown,” said Mayor Eddie Francis. “I am pleased that the university will still find a use for the former bus depot and is adding yet another dynamic to this creative corridor. We look forward to welcoming students and faculty to their new home in the fall of 2016.”

The University purchased the TBQ property for $4 million and the new building will cost an estimated $8.5 million. Funding for this project will come from the University’s existing bond proceeds and fundraising. Construction of both the Armouries and the TBQ site will begin this year and be built in tandem, with an opening set for the fall of 2016.

I'm a little dissapointed that nothing will be immediately done with the old bus terminal. Something needs to happen to that property. Yet at the same time this alternative is a bit interesting as well. The parking lot for the current TBQ on Freedom Way will be no more.

Oh ya, and what's going on with the TBQ???

Last edited by Symz; May 2, 2014 at 5:01 PM.

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 6:17 PM

I guess TBQ is done. The university will eventually be using the bus depot property as well.

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 8:48 PM

I heard this was gonna happen last year, but I didn't really believe it would actually happen. I posted it on here and nobody believed it was real, including me, lol. TBQ's food sucks anyway except for the ribs and breasted chicken.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2014, 3:16 AM

Cabana road is finally getting its separated bike lanes: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windso...s-ok-1.2747019

Old Posted Sep 10, 2014, 5:34 AM

New city hall

A news article talking about recent city council meetings where council was to choose a design for the new city hall. Of the 3 designs council was to choose a winning design but instead narrowed the field down to 2 designs and is then seeking the public's input on the remaining two designs.

source article: http://blogs.windsorstar.com/news/pu...y-hall-designs

The 3 designs up close. This first design was eliminated after Monday's council meeting as it was the more expensive build of the 3.

All perspectives are from University Ave. looking south

This design, The Courtyard Concept, has been eliminated

The Gateway Concept

The campus Concept

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario